SP - General Archers should run out of arrows

Users who are viewing this thread

randy1dandy

Recruit
This might be a bug or just overlooked (i dont know)
But I was in a battle against many archers who were shooting from way too far and wouldn't get closer
They shot arrows for like 5-10 minutes straight and my infantry all had a layer of arrows stuck in their shields
I was waiting for them to run out before I attack but they never did.

They most certainly run out of arrows, contrary to popular belief bows are not machineguns that just "brrrrttttt" 30 arrows in mere seconds, its volley fire and as the above pointed out, if anyone shot back at them the AI is actually smart enough (a grand improvement) to pick up arrows, javelines, etc from the ground. 5-10 minutes of arrows raining down is... Nothing at all. That is really fast actually... Also I am not sure but maybe some archer units have more than one quiver? I have no idea, never really paid any attention to that detail but by god watch out if you think they ran out, they will pick stuff up and use it on you! Oh and on the volley fire subject... Rarely have I seen the AI fire all at the same time, there will always be several who are firing out of key with the rest and this creates a constant barrage of arrows that "never seems to end" and it actually stretches their munitions out. Moving targets in particular cause the AI to hold fire and wait for a better shot of X which drags out the ammo supply which is a GOOD thing! A hundred misses do not constitute a hit.

Result: There is a very real chance for you to get shot with your own arrows or skewered by that javelin you hocked at some guy and missed so now he is happily returning it to sender.

My archers weren't shooting, I told them to stop because it was too far. ( planned to get closer to shoot once the enemy runs out )
I think they take about 7 seconds to shoot an arrow, 7 seconds times 30 arrows would be 210 seconds... so 4 minutes no?
Anyways I guess I must've been wrong, still decided to report incase it's a bug.

So they assuredly run out.

If the formation had multiple lines, they could have been trading places where the back line was stepping in to fire as the back line rain out of munition.

10 minutes seems reasonable for ranged units with two stacks ammunition. One arrow fired every 6 seconds would yield 100 shots from a single archer. Add in the second line and that’s right where it would sit if they fired at a full pace, but more likely it would be closer to 15 minutes.

If you are frustrated it’s taking too long……..do something else. Tell you Cav to follow and fun through the archer lines, advance in a shield wall formation. Fire back with your own archers. This is a self inflicted problem if you are complaining it takes too long for the opposing force to expend all their ammo

if you are complaining it takes too long for the opposing force to expend all their ammo
I don't complain :grin: Any suggestion I've made or will make is because I want to contribute to improving the game. don't take it hard.
And no I'm not suggesting archers run out faster, I just suggested they run out eventually.

as I said in my previous reply, I must have been wrong, so let it go.

Back
Top Bottom