Anyone had any luck with companions in battle?

Users who are viewing this thread

no user name

Recruit
Has anyone found any companions that actually can be a force in battles, like they were able to be in Warband? I have a bunch of high level companions fixed with all the top level gear, a mix of infantry, cavalry, and archers and I'm yet to see one get more than 2 kills in 50+ battles.

Maybe with the rest of them being unlocked there might be some that are actually useful?

Most that ive found had like 150+ in their combat stats but I havent found any that had usefull non-combat skills.

They get an occasional kill here or there but its not like they are mowing down the enemy army single handedly....

They seem to do pretty darn well in tournaments. On the battlefield, not so much. That is probably why they don't level up.

Companions, lords, and even kings were chumps in warband and no different in bannerlord. With good gear and decent stats they're equivalent to a tier 4-5 unit.

You don't have to make them a demigod like in total war games but right now it seems like a waste having them in your party equipped with gear worth hundreds of thousands when you could just hire a tier 4 units instead.

Last edited:
Most that ive found had like 150+ in their combat stats but I havent found any that had usefull non-combat skills.

They get an occasional kill here or there but its not like they are mowing down the enemy army single handedly....

I tend to scour the encyclopedia and look at each companions stats, then choose who I want to seek out and recruit. That ensures that I have a good Surgeon, Scout, Engineer, and Quartermaster. I'll usually grab a Surgeon and Quartermaster out of the gate along with two combat companions, then collect the others at Tier 3 clan.

I tend to scour the encyclopedia and look at each companions stats, then choose who I want to seek out and recruit. That ensures that I have a good Surgeon, Scout, Engineer, and Quartermaster. I'll usually grab a Surgeon and Quartermaster out of the gate along with two combat companions, then collect the others at Tier 3 clan.
Huh thats a good idea, havent considered that...

What stats is it for Quatermaster?

What stats is it for Quatermaster?
Steward, but i've not found any companions for Quartermaster or Engineer. I've trained one to be a steward as I found a companion who has low level so actually gains a level during hours of gameplay/battles etc. Assigned her my steward once my own steward level was high due to passives and she learns past her limit (even though I've now put a skill point in) and in doing so (coupled with fighting/riding increases) actually levelled up.

I'm of the idea that companions should generally be more useful to the player based on their non-combat skills even though we all want to feel like we have a godly band of fighting companions. I don't think it'll be that feasible in Bannerlord since it seems like it's pretty easy to take any unit out when it's 2v1.

I sometimes feel like there isn't much of a difference between units/heros that have 1 profeciency in One/Two-Handed combat, compared to someone that has 150 apart from a few extra damage.

Has anyone found any companions that actually can be a force in battles, like they were able to be in Warband? I have a bunch of high level companions fixed with all the top level gear, a mix of infantry, cavalry, and archers and I'm yet to see one get more than 2 kills in 50+ battles.

Maybe with the rest of them being unlocked there might be some that are actually useful?
Are they on horseback?
What weapon they use?

Becouse i found out that AI with onehander on horse cant hit anything. I tested it.

I have 5 lancers And 6 companions with 1 h. Atacked stack of 50 looters. Lancers got 40 kills, and my companions got 1. I realoded, gave them spears, and here we go 50-50 on kills.

I removed the companion cap (am at 32 companions atm) and only use them (no regular troops). I have them well equipped with custom menavlions and bow/arrow/arrow (no shield). I also boosted XP gain by 5x and removed leveling limitations from the game. I think I'm playing at 2/3 damage atm.

This is obviously a very different game than vanilla, but they do pretty well. I typically lead the enemy horse archers away, kill them with melee, let my companions encircle the enemy with archery and then when the enemies are sparse command them to use their menavlion. I'll fight armies of size 50-80 and win (with me and 32 companions).

One key problem is I don't really think the skills do all that much. I haven't tested swing speed but it feels about the same at ~250 polearm as it did at 50 or whatever I started with. Bow accuracy at ~200 is similar to ~100. Horse speed/control feels similar. Again I didn't test, I'm just not seeing the kind of change I'm used to of being high level like I remember in Warband.

I also think the highest tier armor / weapons in the game aren't high enough, where the best armor is 50/20/20 vs a midtier armor of 30/10/10 or whatever. In Warband I remember it being really tough to kill an armored knight, where as in Bannerlord it's only marginally tougher.

The benefit of companions is that they are immortal, but in Warband you could build a good force of companions that were also stronger and better equipped than anyone else in the field. Bannerlord doesn't seem to support that as much.

Steward, but i've not found any companions for Quartermaster or Engineer. I've trained one to be a steward as I found a companion who has low level so actually gains a level during hours of gameplay/battles etc. Assigned her my steward once my own steward level was high due to passives and she learns past her limit (even though I've now put a skill point in) and in doing so (coupled with fighting/riding increases) actually levelled up.

Ok, I see. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom