Any way around having to clear hideouts?

Users who are viewing this thread

pras

Recruit
Hey all,
I really... at this point hate... having to play hideouts. They are just a pain to play. Spending every second doing that feels like a waste of time with little reward. Even if the rewards would be bigger I still wouldn't like playing that. Even with a mod where I can bring 90 of my people to clear a hideout I still loath having to waste time to do it.

So I have a question... anyone found a way around it? I installed the dev console mod and poked around a bit; it doesn't seem to have any "kill all enemies in the battle" command. I really don't abuse game broken mechanics when I play but I would really love to have something like that. A drop dead command specifically because of hideouts.

I also poked around the game files just a little to see if hideouts have an obvious "clearable by AI" toggle so that those things could be cleared by AI armies off the map but no luck.

Anyone?

Hey all,
I really... at this point hate... having to play hideouts. They are just a pain to play. Spending every second doing that feels like a waste of time with little reward. Even if the rewards would be bigger I still wouldn't like playing that. Even with a mod where I can bring 90 of my people to clear a hideout I still loath having to waste time to do it.

So I have a question... anyone found a way around it? I installed the dev console mod and poked around a bit; it doesn't seem to have any "kill all enemies in the battle" command. I really don't abuse game broken mechanics when I play but I would really love to have something like that. A drop dead command specifically because of hideouts.

I also poked around the game files just a little to see if hideouts have an obvious "clearable by AI" toggle so that those things could be cleared by AI armies off the map but no luck.

Anyone?
There is a mode to auto resolve them here:

You are welcome.

Sometimes village npcs will have a quest to wipe out a local bandit lair, and you can opt to leave one of your companions behind with some troops and they'll automatically do it. I'm not sure if it is a quest for an existing hideout though, or if it spawns a new one for the quest when you accept it.

Are you putting your top tier troops right below yourself in the party screen troop list? The first 6-8 troops under you will go with you.
The thing is... I don't want to play the damn thing. :grin: I am capable of defeating the camps I just don't want to be bothered to do it.

There is a mode to auto resolve them here:

You are welcome.
This is cool, tnx.
There is a problem that auto-resolving the thing gets your troops killed. Like I said the I don't want to be bothered by these hideouts at all. Maybe there is something I can tweak in the mod files to make battles casualty free.

Just ignore them?
I don't think you're expected to be clearing them all out once you're a big shot commander at war all the time.
Someday we should have more functions to send companion parties to do stuff like this(on our own not from npc quest), but for now it's not a real problem.

Auto-Resolver Mod is your best bet for what you want. I'd agree with others that say you can safely just ignore them. Honestly, I just bring 90 people tell them to clear the area and let them handle it in a min or two.

I agree these are a pain. For me, the problem is it usually takes multiple tries for the Forest Bandit versions. The Mountain/SeaRaider hideouts are more linear, it's a lot easier to just take on a couple of bandits at a time. But with Forest Bandits, I haven't figured out how to avoid aggro-ing multiple campfire groups at some point, which gets pretty bad since it's Forest Bandits who have the deadliest/longest ranged fire. So then I go heal up and come back a couple nights later...usually takes 3-4 runs before the hideout is cleared. On that last successful attack, the number of bandits has whittled down to a point where the loot is pretty paltry.

Bottom line, I just ignore them now. And I don't take any quests for hideout clearance regardless...because even if I think "oh...this quest is gonna be for that lightly-defended Mountain hideout nearby", it often winds up revealing some thickly-populated Forest hideout I hadn't seen before.

Like OP stated above, I don't find them "unbeatable". I just find them not at all worth the time/effort (and occasional troop deaths) relative to the modest loot/rewards.

If each hideout had some sort of loot chest or stash (separate from the gear of the actual bandits themselves) which yielded some good/rare items (like Fine/Thamaskene Steel, similar to thug-bashing in towns?), that would change the picture a little bit. OR, if there was a more noticeable/lasting effect in cutting down bandit activity in the local area for a while (right now I don't perceive that at all).

Here is my problem with them:
  1. AI can't clear them... I mean a lord having a bandit camp close to their fief wouldn't muster some men and clear them out? I guess bounty-hunters are still to be implemented that would be able to do it. I hope something like that is in the pipes.
  2. They are repetitive.
  3. They litter my realm. So on one hand I don't want to be bothered with clearing them out but they bother me by being there. It is like mould on your butter... you don't want to ignore it.
  4. If I auto-reslove I will loose some men... I can't pick my OP heavy inf to send them in to clear the damn thing. Some poor voulanteer bastard will get it over their head.
  5. If I go into battle and delegate my heavy inf... then I have to wait.
I mean yes I am picky on one side, however on the other hand this comes as a result of being really annoyed by having to do the camp cleaning.

I totally agree, at this point, 900 days into my campaign, I have cleared only 2 or 3 hideouts its SO ANNOYING.

I get the point that it is challenging to bring a little group but IT IS SO REPETITIVE.

Also, the hideout within a cavern is SO ANNOYING. Few bandits spread in a big map I NEED MOVESPEEEEEEED.

If it was scripted it coulbe be fun, if there was a high reward renown and influence (maybe 30 for each) it would be at least interesting in terms of game mechanics but no.

I also understand that this is not a priority for the devs. There is a lot of things to do before this ! For the moment, I just ignore them ?

Back
Top Bottom