Any videos without poor players that shows combat properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blead said:
Noudelle said:
Mount & Blade's combat is extremely simple in comparison.
  • Move using WASD
  • Four attack directions (sometimes fewer)
  • Four blocking directions (sometimes only one)
  • Chamber blocking
  • Feints
  • Kicks
That's it as far as melee infantry combat is concerned.

Some other things to note are:
Weapon stats, for example, you have to know that certain weapons are heavier or faster than others. Traits like "unbalanced" or "crush through block".

Same with cavalry who have cough lances.

If the weight difference between a weapon is too big then you can get stunned. Let us say a short sword blocks a sword of war than the difference in weight is enough to stun the short sword, giving the sword of war wielder an extra hit, this is reset after the first attack so you can not spam with it.

You will also need to take into consideration the classes. A warrior hits faster and harder than an archer and can move out of the way quicker.

The character weight is also important as you will run faster when you drop your shield/weapons then when you are still holding it, same with armor.

I understand what you are saying, the combat in Warband is relatively simple, However, there are many niches to it which you can give you the edge if you know them.

Let us have a hypothetical battle if you don't mind, Let's say I am on a horse with a great lance and you are on foot with a warspear. How will you fight me? I obviously have the reach and speed advantage.
What I meant when listing these things is what actions you're allowed to do as an infantry player. I'm aware that the combat is a lot deeper than that.

As for your second question. I'd 100% rather be the foot soldier in this situation. You can hit the horse with the war spear without getting hit yourself if you position yourself correctly. And since it's a polearm, this will stop the horse, allowing you to keep whacking away. In a 1v1 fight such as this, the great lance is pretty useless because of the single attack direction. Easy to block or chamber as the footsoldier.

@Everyone participating in the feint discussion.

This conversation has already taken place several times, and the consensus of the argument is pretty much the same, the main issue with Warband's feints is that they don't really have their own animation, so they look bad and make it look like people are abusing a visual bug that never got fixed.

If you want to bring it back up and add anything new to the conversation that hasn't already been said, answer these questions clearly:

If feints were given a clear, smooth, deliberate feint animation, whilst keeping everything else about it roughly the same(speed, repeatability, etc), would you still want feints removed or drastically changed?
What are your reasons for wanting them removed, or what are the drastic changes you would make and how would they make feints a better game mechanic?

The people speaking in favor of keeping feints have been very clear as to why they think they are a good mechanic to have and what makes them enjoyable to them. I'd like to see the same degree of clarity from anyone that has an argument against warband's style of feints. In a discussion, the reasons for your conclusion are more important than your conclusion itself. Instead of simply saying "because I don't like people spamming feints", dive deeper into explaining why people spamming feints is a bad thing and what better alternative you've come up with to replace it.

Noudelle said:
What I meant when listing these things is what actions you're allowed to do as an infantry player. I'm aware that the combat is a lot deeper than that.

As for your second question. I'd 100% rather be the foot soldier in this situation. You can hit the horse with the war spear without getting hit yourself if you position yourself correctly. And since it's a polearm, this will stop the horse, allowing you to keep whacking away. In a 1v1 fight such as this, the great lance is pretty useless because of the single attack direction. Easy to block or chamber as the footsoldier.
From what I've seen they are going to add weapon bash into the game, I am not sure if they will do the same with shieldbash, personally I find shieldbashes in mods annoying as I always end up shieldbashing instead of normally attacking people. Kicking is (I think) something new in Warband which was not added in Mount&blade, now it is essential in battles so I feel like the new combat mechanics in bannerlord will quickly be embraced by the community, especially since NPCs can now also kick.

Other than that I am not sure what they could add to the combat without it looking strange and unrealistic (for example having a hidden crossbow up your sleeve or rolling on the floor like darksouls). I agree with you that the combat is simple in explanation and hard in execution.

As for the second question, you can indeed eliminate the reach disadvantage by stepping out of the way and hitting the head of the horse. The speed is only really usable if the infantry has not spotted you yet. You could rear away with your horse when stabbing. But that is easy to dodge/block for the infantry.

Or if you are an NPC in a tournament you can always just constantly chamber the lance with your own lance  :razz:

The point of this theoretical fight I mentioned is that combat can be played very differently for everyone. if the infantry had a sword then one of the safest bets might have even been stepping out of the way and then jump slashing. Combat is definitely simple enough, but it can still be made so much more interesting by your play style.

Lagstro said:
If feints were given a clear, smooth, deliberate feint animation, whilst keeping everything else about it roughly the same(speed, repeatability, etc), would you still want feints removed or drastically changed?
What are your reasons for wanting them removed, or what are the drastic changes you would make and how would they make feints a better game mechanic?
Do you know of any good looking animation sets that could be compared to/be suitable for high-level warband feinting?

Lagstro said:
If you want to bring it back up and add anything new to the conversation that hasn't already been said, answer these questions clearly:

The people speaking in favor of keeping feints have been very clear as to why they think they are a good mechanic to have and what makes them enjoyable to them. I'd like to see the same degree of clarity from anyone that has an argument against warband's style of feints. In a discussion, the reasons for your conclusion are more important than your conclusion itself. Instead of simply saying "because I don't like people spamming feints", dive deeper into explaining why people spamming feints is a bad thing and what better alternative you've come up with to replace it.
You're misrepresenting one side of the argument. I don't think anyone is arguing against a feinting system that has a skill ceiling like Warband and doesn't look like it is abusing a visual bug.
It seems Taleworlds has already cut feints, so if anything the side wanting to keep feints as they are in Warband need better arguments. That or the community needs to suggest other mechanics to increase the skill ceiling. But, as neither side has been able to do that, we will likely be stuck with what we have seen already.
Bannerlord's focus for competitive play will probably be on team combat and not dueling, based on what we have seen about multiplayer so far. Like Duh has said already.

John.M said:
Bannerlord's focus for competitive play will probably be on team combat and not dueling, based on what we have seen about multiplayer so far.
Is that a significant departure from Warband? My (albeit very limited) impression was that battle tournaments seem to have the most traction in the competitive community.

Duh said:
Is that a significant departure from Warband? My (albeit very limited) impression was that battle tournaments seem to have the most traction in the competitive community.
Not sure, but there is a difference with Warband having some place for 1 on 1 competitive and Bannerlord having none.

Hmm, Battles are more about survivability. You can not go all out against someone if you know that even if you survive you will die in 1 hit against the next person, you need to be more conservative. Besides, you have stuff like cavalry and archers to worry about. Dueling is more for the personal skill and the quick kill (which really help in battle) its the difference between maximizing your survivability and achieving victory for the team and going in for the quick kill which is mostly decided in 1 or 2 hits.

Another small thing is that most battles are not usually fought with 2 handers (or naked people for that matter).

Edit:
To add to my post, I think duels should definitely stay in the game. It is a great way of teaching you the mechanics and tricks of the game. Battles are very inconvenient to learn stuff if you are bad, because dying would result in you waiting until the match is over.

@Eladon Ok fine, I admit I did not read the entirety of this novel of a thread, but take it easy chief. You said two sentences about it in the entire thread, it's no mystery how I could have missed them.

So then I ask- why you continue to ask these questions when there is clearly no answer? Your questions there (which apparently haven't been answered by watching Peter) are not answered anywhere else. You think these posts are a waste of time when I'm 100% directly answering the question brought up in the OP? It is clear what you're looking for is not out there, and you aren't satisfied.

However, it seems the thread is no longer about finding a video, as most threads "derail" this way into discussion. Not a bad thing really.

Blead said:
To add to my post, I think duels should definitely stay in the game. It is a great way of teaching you the mechanics and tricks of the game. Battles are very inconvenient to learn stuff if you are bad, because dying would result in you waiting until the match is over.
Dev Blog 15/03/18 did note on Duels being there. I think John may have just been remarking on the (potential) lack of competitive viability if feinting was removed (rather than staying as is/being slightly altered/nerfed).

Ah my bad, I seem to have missed the point. I am fairly certain that the perks and weapon bash will add sufficiently to the combat to make up for any changes they make to feinting. Besides, I do not believe they will remove feinting as a whole. I think only adding a small delay as they mentioned.

In battles you hardly fight alone so when you are working together with a person you do not really need to feint, just time it with your ally.

Duh said:
John.M said:
Bannerlord's focus for competitive play will probably be on team combat and not dueling, based on what we have seen about multiplayer so far.

Captain Lust actually had the opposite perspective based on Bucharest:

https://twitter.com/frankelliott_/status/868857002428071936

And if you check the views on the TW youtube channel this holds up - the duel final has almost 2x the views of the Battle final. Imo this is because the wider Warband community can understand and enjoy duels, but are unfamiliar with Battle in the competitive sense. By "wider community", I mean players from mods like PW and Mercs and players from other Native servers. I know of dozens of duel players in Native that don't have TW accounts and don't know anything about "competitive battle", but watch my duel videos and know all the top duellists. On PW they all seem to know the basic list of top duellists too, but if I asked them to name the 8v8 FT roster they'd have no idea what I was talking about. I think this is because duel applies to their way of playing - individual skill is useful in every mod and every gamemode - whereas competitive battle is something they don't have any engagement with or any use for knowing about.

Blead said:
Ah my bad, I seem to have missed the point. I am fairly certain that the perks and weapon bash will add sufficiently to the combat to make up for any changes they make to feinting. Besides, I do not believe they will remove feinting as a whole. I think only adding a small delay as they mentioned.

In battles you hardly fight alone so when you are working together with a person you do not really need to feint, just time it with your ally.

In Battle there aren't crazy feints and stuff for people to complain about because they take too much time and distract you from focusing on the wider teamfight, so the changes they've made to feinting don't really create any concerns for me about how good Battle will be. However, people are mad if they think people spazzing out their camera will change because feinting is nerfed; the meta will continue to follow whatever is most effective, and I have no doubt players will continue to use weird angles and movements to distract their opponents.

Duh said:
Lagstro said:
Do you know of any good looking animation sets that could be compared to/be suitable for high-level warband feinting?
No, I can't think of any existing examples to compare it to. I don't know of a game that allows you to feint in the same way warband allows you to. It's a part of what makes warband combat unique. TW would need to build it from scratch themselves like they did with everything else they've made.

Blead said:
And not just the feinting, also the weird camera spazzing people tend to do while feinting.

Duels always seem to give people seizures.
That's a separate issue that has nothing to do with feinting and everything to do with camera movement & rotation. It's a consequence of your camera following every mouse movement you make immediately, as it should. The only reason you could call it a problem is because for most people, attack direction and block direction is also controlled by that same mouse movement (if you attacked and blocked with key movement, you wouldn't find yourself spinning around like crazy when panic blocking, instead you'd be forced to step in some direction when panic blocking). If you reduced your sensitivity enough, you couldn't run into the spazzing camera problem even if you tried to. But that would also not let you turn fast enough when you needed to. That's just how free camera movement without extra limiters works. You could try putting a hard limit on how fast someone can turn, or set up some system where a minimum amount of directional mouse movement is required before your camera starts rotating which would allow you to move your mouse enough to choose an attack or block direction without rotating your camera at all, but that would also end up cutting time and movement that you would have wanted to use towards actually spinning around fast when you needed it to. Personally, I think the current camera situation is as good as it can get. It has its issues, but the alternatives have their own issues, which I think are even worse.

John.M said:
Lagstro said:

You're misrepresenting one side of the argument. I don't think anyone is arguing against a feinting system that has a skill ceiling like Warband and doesn't look like it is abusing a visual bug.
It seems Taleworlds has already cut feints, so if anything the side wanting to keep feints as they are in Warband need better arguments. That or the community needs to suggest other mechanics to increase the skill ceiling. But, as neither side has been able to do that, we will likely be stuck with what we have seen already.
Bannerlord's focus for competitive play will probably be on team combat and not dueling, based on what we have seen about multiplayer so far. Like Duh has said already.
What did I misrepresent? Did I name any person or group and put words in their mouth somewhere? The only claim I made was "The people speaking in favor of keeping feints have been very clear as to why they think they are a good mechanic to have and what makes them enjoyable to them." Is that a misrepresentation of some kind? The following line makes no claim that anyone in this thread has said anything, but rather simply states that if anyone did have anything to say against Warband's style of feinting, that they should explain why they have that opinion and not just state the bare opinion. I thought the way the questions were worded made it pretty clear that I already knew that most people only took issue with the visual aspect of feints, and I was asking if anyone could name any other major issue with them that made them bad or objectively inferior to an alternative gameplay mechanic they could come up with.

Feints are still in the game, you just can't do them as fast. I'm sure it will be a hot topic of debate again once the game releases, but how are we going to definitively prove anything to them if we don't even have the game in our hands yet. I'm sure once the game comes out we could show them very clear video evidence that a feinting system that is too slow to be particularly useful in not adequate. I don't know if it is too slow right now, I haven't played it. Maybe they already have a good alternative to replace fast feints. They haven't shown anything in depth about their combat system yet, which is the whole point of this thread. All we've been shown is surface level combat, anything beyond that is still just speculation.

Warband wasn't even duel focused, so of course Bannerlord won't be duel focused. If you want a reference for what a duel focused game is, you look at games like For Honor or Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Lagstro said:
John.M said:
What did I misrepresent? Did I name any person or group and put words in their mouth somewhere? The only claim I made was "The people speaking in favor of keeping feints have been very clear as to why they think they are a good mechanic to have and what makes them enjoyable to them." Is that a misrepresentation of some kind? The following line makes no claim that anyone in this thread has said anything, but rather simply states that if anyone did have anything to say against Warband's style of feinting, that they should explain why they have that opinion and not just state the bare opinion. I thought the way the questions were worded made it pretty clear that I already knew that most people only took issue with the visual aspect of feints, and I was asking if anyone could name any other major issue with them that made them bad or objectively inferior to an alternative gameplay mechanic they could come up with.

Feints are still in the game, you just can't do them as fast. I'm sure it will be a hot topic of debate again once the game releases, but how are we going to definitively prove anything to them if we don't even have the game in our hands yet. I'm sure once the game comes out we could show them very clear video evidence that a feinting system that is too slow to be particularly useful in not adequate. I don't know if it is too slow right now, I haven't played it. Maybe they already have a good alternative to replace fast feints. They haven't shown anything in depth about their combat system yet, which is the whole point of this thread. All we've been shown is surface level combat, anything beyond that is still just speculation.

Warband wasn't even duel focused, so of course Bannerlord won't be duel focused. If you want a reference for what a duel focused game is, you look at games like For Honor or Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
"If feints were given a clear, smooth, deliberate feint animation, whilst keeping everything else about it roughly the same(speed, repeatability, etc), would you still want feints removed or drastically changed?
What are your reasons for wanting them removed, or what are the drastic changes you would make and how would they make feints a better game mechanic? "
"Instead of simply saying "because I don't like people spamming feints", dive deeper into explaining why people spamming feints is a bad thing and what better alternative you've come up with to replace it."
People have said what their problem with the feints are, as you said the visual aspect. But you suggest they are not explaining themselves. Unless you are purposely talking to an non-existent group, it's clear that was your view of the side against feinting wanted it gone for reasons beyond the poor visual aspect. At least that is how I interpreted it.

I don't know enough about feinting, but the general impression I get from competitive players on the forum is that high level dueling will not be viable with the speed of the feints we have seen. And it seems Taleworlds has done this purposely, not to stomp on competive duels but to fix the wacky animations. Unless it is possible to fix the animations while keeping fast feints Taleworlds will have to choose between the two. Though, as you mention, regardless of the speed of feints you will get unrealistic movements because of the camera/mouse moving.
Warband wasn't duel focused, but good duel gameplay was a byproduct. My point about Bannerlord's focus on team gameplay is that they won't care if duel is damaged, so if they think smoother animations will provide better team and overall gameplay they will use them.

Gibby Jr said:
Duh said:
John.M said:

Captain Lust actually had the opposite perspective based on Bucharest:

https://twitter.com/frankelliott_/status/868857002428071936
That's interesting regarding the event, but does it translate to the broader tournament scene? I.e. are duel events generally more common and/or significant than team events?

I am not disagreeing with his point on battle possibly suffering from large player rosters in regards to audiences (Eladon noted on esports generally capping at 5v5). However, I don't think that this flaw of battle/team modes (harder to track all players/build a broader narrative) clashes with my thoughts on duels (harder to track what is happening). While both may have their issues, my current impression is that the former can more easily resolve or at least mitigate them. By lowering the player count and encouraging greater team consistency, providing clearer objectives or other visual cues (f.e. number of troops left) that make it easier to understand and communicate what is happening and who is responsible. It will also be interesting to see how the extension of matches through AI troops and body shifting on the one hand and respawns on the other hand will affect things. I have to admit that, personally, I enjoy the commentary on team strategy a bit more than that of duels.

Gibby Jr said:
And if you check the views on the TW youtube channel this holds up - the duel final has almost 2x the views of the Battle final. Imo this is because the wider Warband community can understand and enjoy duels, but are unfamiliar with Battle in the competitive sense. By "wider community", I mean players from mods like PW and Mercs and players from other Native servers. I know of dozens of duel players in Native that don't have TW accounts and don't know anything about "competitive battle", but watch my duel videos and know all the top duellists. On PW they all seem to know the basic list of top duellists too, but if I asked them to name the 8v8 FT roster they'd have no idea what I was talking about. I think this is because duel applies to their way of playing - individual skill is useful in every mod and every gamemode - whereas competitive battle is something they don't have any engagement with or any use for knowing about.
Makes sense. I suppose it may also be more exciting for "outsiders" because it may seem easier to participate in duels than in team events. Similarly, I take it that part of the problem for roster recognition is that they aren't very consistent either?

Edith:
Lagstro said:
No, I can't think of any existing examples to compare it to. I don't know of a game that allows you to feint in the same way warband allows you to. It's a part of what makes warband combat unique. TW would need to build it from scratch themselves like they did with everything else they've made.
Do you have some thoughts on how that could be achieved? I.e. what kind of animations would you feel may be suitable? Really just an open question for anyone who cares and might have an idea.

I urge everyone to leave the heated debate and seriously think about what new mechanics for the fight can come up with. I will be the first.

-charge for infantry (one player whose weight is less on the ground);

-evasion from blows (speed is tied to the weight of equipment);

-the ability of the infantry to pull the rider off the horse (the ability is applied only from behind);

-the ability to knock the rider off the saddle with a weapon;
-add an additional blow of the weapon with the handle near (activation of pressing the mouse wheel);

-add the ability to knock the weapon out of the hands (the weapon falls out when the opponent hits the arm with the weapon);

-opportunity to plant a running rider on a spear just by resting it in the ground;

-physical model of weapons that does not allow weapons to pass through each other upon impact...

John.M said:
People have said what their problem with the feints are, as you said the visual aspect. But you suggest they are not explaining themselves. Unless you are purposely talking to an non-existent group, it's clear that was your view of the side against feinting wanted it gone for reasons beyond the poor visual aspect. At least that is how I interpreted it.

I don't know enough about feinting, but the general impression I get from competitive players on the forum is that high level dueling will not be viable with the speed of the feints we have seen. And it seems Taleworlds has done this purposely, not to stomp on competive duels but to fix the wacky animations. Unless it is possible to fix the animations while keeping fast feints Taleworlds will have to choose between the two. Though, as you mention, regardless of the speed of feints you will get unrealistic movements because of the camera/mouse moving.
Warband wasn't duel focused, but good duel gameplay was a byproduct. My point about Bannerlord's focus on team gameplay is that they won't care if duel is damaged, so if they think smoother animations will provide better team and overall gameplay they will use them.

I guess it was directed at something you could call a "non-existent" group. It was targeted at anyone that may view the thread and decide to make a post in it. That's why it didn't mention any specific individual(s).

Your impression is correct. I think every competitive player knows that without quality feints or something to replace them, your average MP melee fight would last too long and wouldn't be as interesting. There needs to be something to close a fight faster, but it can't be some cheap cop out mechanic that provides free damage. That's why feints are so great as a mechanic. They don't guarantee damage, but they do provide a way to confuse your opponent into blocking in the wrong direction or at the wrong time. Compare that to say an easily executable shield bash that guarantees you a stun or immobilization on someone long enough to not be able to defend themselves, essentially providing you or a teammate with easily earned, guaranteed free damage. That's an example of a bad combat mechanic.

Kicks accomplish something similar, however they are difficult to land and come with the risk of missing and getting hit yourself.

Horse bumps also serve a similar purpose, but they come with the risk of getting stopped and immobilized yourself. This one teeters on the verge of acceptable risk vs reward though, because horses have a lot of health and bumps are extremely powerful, opening up opponents up to all kinds of damage for a relatively long time, especially because bumps aren't difficult to perform and they are one of the only forms of damage that can't affect teammates. In other words bumps were a little broken in warband, which is why I like the change to bumps they made in bannerlord. It seems like people get knocked back a fair distance now (based on speed) and it would be harder for a cav to capitalize on his own bump, but it could still skillfully provide a quality stun that a teammate could capitalize on.

A low-risk or no-risk stun mechanic would be something like using a polearm to do overheads over teammates and stunning individuals long enough for your teammates to finish them off and not allowing your opponent a chance to block. It provides a great reward for virtually no risk. I would hate a shield-bash mechanic or any other kind of mechanic that replicates this same low-risk, high reward concept. Such mechanics become abused as they become the optimal way to play.

Lagstro said:
There needs to be something to close a fight faster, but it can't be some cheap cop out mechanic that provides free damage. That's why feints are so great as a mechanic. They don't guarantee damage, but they do provide a way to confuse your opponent into blocking in the wrong direction or at the wrong time. Compare that to say an easily executable shield bash that guarantees you a stun or immobilization on someone long enough to not be able to defend themselves, essentially providing you or a teammate with easily earned, guaranteed free damage. That's an example of a bad combat mechanic.

Would like to give a big +1 to this.

Mechanics which bypass the hit-block system are bad imo and detract from what makes the combat so special in Warband. If chambers were unblockable I'd want them out of the game asap because you know every fight would just turn into both people being afraid to attack in case they get chambered and just sort of walking around each other and holding attacks. The new stun weapon bash could result in people being afraid to get close to each other if it's too easy to pull off, which would be a huge detriment to the combat (then again, we've seen that movement is much faster in Bannerlord so it may be possible to see the bash animation start and be able to walk back quickly to avoid it - similar to how you can jump over a kick in warband if you see it coming but less quirky). Good combat mechanics which complement the M&B system have to be those which are still based around the basic 4 directional hit-block design. I have no ideas about what you could implement, cause I'm so used to Warband's systems that I automatically consider those to be the best options, but I would seriously love to see unique new features that build around the basic system.

AJIexander said:
I urge everyone to leave the heated debate and seriously think about what new mechanics for the fight can come up with. I will be the first.

-charge for infantry (one player whose weight is less on the ground);
I assume what you mean by that is a charge that would lock you in the direction you're pointing at for a few seconds?
If so, I'm not sure how effective this would be but I think it's something that's worth experimenting with.
AJIexander said:
-evasion from blows (speed is tied to the weight of equipment);
I'm not sure how well this would fit with the rest of M&B's mechanics. Especially considering how a large portion of the fighting you're doing in M&B is either in close quarters or surrounded by other characters. That being said, this is also something that I think could be interesting. Especially with how this would give the equipment weight attribute more importance.
Another problem a mechanic like this would have is the frequency at which you can use it. It wouldn't be fun to fight against lightly armored ninjas that jump around everywhere all the time, making them harder to hit than is reasonable.
As long as there are no invicibility frames involved, I think this has potential.
AJIexander said:
-the ability of the infantry to pull the rider off the horse (the ability is applied only from behind);
I really don't think this is needed. Immobile horsemen are already vulnerable enough as it is, I don't think they need another counter.
AJIexander said:
-the ability to knock the rider off the saddle with a weapon;
-add an additional blow of the weapon with the handle near (activation of pressing the mouse wheel);
The first point already exists in Bannerlord.
As for handle/pommel blows, I think you can do it with two-handed weapons in a similar way to shield-bashing. I think I may have seen a gif of this at some point but I'm really not sure.
AJIexander said:
-add the ability to knock the weapon out of the hands (the weapon falls out when the opponent hits the arm with the weapon);
I don't like this either. It would feel like absolute **** losing your weapon because your opponent got a lucky hit on your arm. And even if they really did aim for your arm and hit it, then that would leave you without any means of defending yourself. You might have a shield still but it's not like you can do any damage with it.
The drawbacks are too extreme for this to be fun in my opinion.
AJIexander said:
-opportunity to plant a running rider on a spear just by resting it in the ground;
Kind of boring honestly. I don't see what this would add anything of substance to the game.
AJIexander said:
-physical model of weapons that does not allow weapons to pass through each other upon impact...
As good a mechanic as this might be for dueling, it would make team fighting completely insufferable to play. Getting stuck in your teammates' shields all the time would get old fast.

Back
Top Bottom