Any Progress on the Development of Casus Belli?

Users who are viewing this thread

4) When you are king you can set your kingdom's clan parties prioritized behavior (again defensive / default / agreesive) when you set them defensive this will not stop your clan parties to do hostile actions but probability will be reduced.
Wait so you mean other clans in our kingdoms right? Do you decide for each party or for that clan overall?

Last edited:
You can limit your garrison's wage easily to a number around 1000s. So it will stop when 1000 is reached.
Hmmmm, if I put my 100 khan's guards in it and forget to adjust the cost will it start dumping troops out randomly or will it be like now where they never ever leave unless they starve or go over the inventory limit? I mean I guess I'll see but the game putting things in garrisons is a touchy subject :smile:

Wait so you mean other clans in our kingdoms right? Do you decide for each party or for that clan overall?

You decide for overall for all kingdom parties - not one by one - (you can do only if you are king). Actually this feature will be a bit useless without target prioritizing. Probably most players will not understand the difference much.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, if I put my 100 khan's guards in it and forget to adjust the cost will it start dumping troops out randomly or will it be like now where they never ever leave unless they starve or go over the inventory limit? I mean I guess I'll see but the game putting things in garrisons is a touchy subject :smile:

When 1.5.10 is patched all your settlements will have unlimited wage checkbox is checked. You will have one checkbox near slider. If you check it your settlement will recruit new troops everyday until garrison limit is reached (your clan parties can take troops also, so it is not easy to reach garrison limit).

Yes additional checkbox to stop auto recruitment is better but as you know it will probably will not be accepted. I can suggest it but more buttons are mostly not welcomed by top.

They are just off the top of my head sure there are other things to do as well.

Yeah! Tons of things. Read books, organize feasts and woe the ladys with your freshly learned poems.
Or set up camp, train your troops and delve into your companions background. Or go to your villages and make sure they’re all upgraded. You know what, when you’re there, solve an interesting quest. Or become a diplomat, stir up fires between lords and curry favor with their rulers.

Yeah! Tons of things. Read books, organize feasts and woe the ladys with your freshly learned poems.
Or set up camp, train your troops and delve into your companions background. Or go to your villages and make sure they’re all upgraded. You know what, when you’re there, solve an interesting quest. Or become a diplomat, stir up fires between lords and curry favor with their rulers.
Or just play warband. I did not mean there was lots to do, just do not want to fight all the time.

Last edited:
You decide for overall for all kingdom parties - not one by one - (you can do only if you are king). Actually this feature will be a bit useless without target prioritizing. Probably most players will not understand the difference much.
So I will give an overall kingdom stance. Not tell each clan individually to behave aggressively or defensively, right?

One of my major issues with running a Sturgian kingdom is preparing for a new war on the opposite side of the map or being in a two sided war (imagine a war against Vlandia and Khuzaits). I have to hope my AI can split up effectively, which normally ends up with my AI choosing one side and leaving me to defend the other one. Will defensive behavior encourage clans to patrol and protect their settlements? Would be nice to have my Tyal clan be on the defensive and ready to call an army if they need help once spotting a threat

Yeah target prioritizing would have been useful. I know your hands are tied, so thanks for getting at least this version of control in.

We will add clans to mention why they started voting for war or peace. This is a bit cosmetic but at least it will give a feedback to player why a war / peace is started.
Since you mentioned the whole Casus Belli system is in a sense 'cosmetic' does this mean that the reasons given by Lords wanting a war will just be randomly selected from a list, or will it be more influenced by the current geopolitical situation?
Fact that we can't get prioritised targets sucks but your comments are very appreciated :party:

Since you mentioned the whole Casus Belli system is in a sense 'cosmetic' does this mean that the reasons given by Lords wanting a war will just be randomly selected from a list, or will it be more influenced by the current geopolitical situation?
Fact that we can't get prioritised targets sucks but your comments are very appreciated :party:
Im almost positive it will not be randomly selected from a list. Right now they already declare war for certain reasons, the player just doesn't know why as it isn't communicated. Communicating it isn't really changing anything, hence why its just cosmetic.

Im almost positive it will not be randomly selected from a list. Right now they already declare war for certain reasons, the player just doesn't know why as it isn't communicated. Communicating it isn't really changing anything, hence why its just cosmetic.
IMO a lot of the reason forumites are so angry about a supposedly shallow simulation is that they don't see the details of its complexity and then conclude it isn't complex. I guess that prior to this TW has decided that showing these details is not a priority, but I am glad it is now.

Please do not expect big changes. As you know clan / kingdom micromanagement will only consist of 4 additions, but even these are not much it will help improving gameplay :

1) Changing your clan parties behavior priority (defensive / default / agressive) when you set them defensive they will not do any raid, siege. Setting them agressive will increase probability of selecting hostile actions for them.
2) Limiting wages of your clan parties (including garrisons) so they will stop getting more men or upgrading troops when limit is reached. If limit is past somehow they will disband slowly till limit is reached.
3) Auto recruitment, so your town and castle garrison will recruit 1 troop per day from around villages or town's notables.
4) When you are king you can set your kingdom's clan parties prioritized behavior (again defensive / default / agreesive) when you set them defensive this will not stop your clan parties to do hostile actions but probability will be reduced.

We could not make prioritized targets / locations to be accepted unfortunately. Thats all for now.
If this mod does it and much more, why are the developers themselves only going to do it partially? It is incomprehensible, it seems that they reduce the user to a brainless being who only understands simple things.
To be able to implement something simple, and not to do it because you think it does not reach the brain of your average customer,means that you are insulting the generality of those who bought this game.

Last edited:
If this mod does it and much more, why are the developers themselves only going to do it partially? It is incomprehensible, it seems that they reduce the user to a brainless being who only understands simple things.
Because its become abundantly clear that there was simply little to no vision on any aspect of the game outside the fighting engine. One of the head moderators here wrote an interesting post that was very telling -about how Armagon was obsessed with implementing what in his opinion was next level fighting engine as compared to previous titles. That in of in itself is a good thing, a great thing even -but that was also at the expense of the rest of the game.

Of course i have no way of knowing for sure -but it seems very similar to what happened to Arma3 - the developers realized that whats most successful about their game is not the game itself (story, map, characters, plot) its the open ended nature of its platform and ability to mod. This in a sense lets the Devs off the hook -they present you a new fighting engiine -ENJOY!! Now go get your shinebox and build yourself a mod to enjoy the rest of what we have to offer.

Because its become abundantly clear that there was simply little to no vision on any aspect of the game outside the fighting engine. One of the head moderators here wrote an interesting post that was very telling -about how Armagon was obsessed with implementing what in his opinion was next level fighting engine as compared to previous titles. That in of in itself is a good thing, a great thing even -but that was also at the expense of the rest of the game.

Of course i have no way of knowing for sure -but it seems very similar to what happened to Arma3 - the developers realized that whats most successful about their game is not the game itself (story, map, characters, plot) its the open ended nature of its platform and ability to mod. This in a sense lets the Devs off the hook -they present you a new fighting engiine -ENJOY!! Now go get your shinebox and build yourself a mod to enjoy the rest of what we have to offer.
What's odd though is how schizophrenic they are on this. Check out this;

What a delightful little feature. Yet you would think if the game was just meant to be a fighting engine they wouldn't bother. Similar thing with board games. They just seem to pick things to make really detailed almost randomly.

It is my optimistic belief that eventually they will just inadvertently add in everything we want just from a result of us whining and them picking tiny things to pick out. Afterall we ask for block delay to be removed - it go removed. We asked for auto-run - we got auto-run. We asked for the combat parameters - we got the combat parameters.

Perhaps TW only shift their feet when we kick up a fuss but things can and do change.

Regrettably though - you do have to see a point with their - engine for mods model. At the end of the day 95% of the playerbase was on mods in Warband - if not more. Realistically speaking as long as the modders get what they need - the core game will be largely side lined no matter what they do. Very regretable - but screw it; whatever gets me Kingdom of Arda

However that is why it is of upmost important that modders get the tools they need. Nothing has ever shaken my belief in Talewords except that letter; I'm hoping their is both a reasonable explanation and a solution. Resolving the issues listed there need to be priorities 1, 2 & 3.

Last edited:
What's odd though is how schizophrenic they are on this. Check out this;

What a delightful little feature. Yet you would think if the game was just meant to be a fighting engine they wouldn't bother. Similar thing with board games. They just seem to pick things to make really detailed almost randomly.

It is my optimistic belief that eventually they will just inadvertently add in everything we want just from a result of us whining and them picking tiny things to pick out. Afterall we ask for block delay to be removed - it go removed. We asked for auto-run - we got auto-run. We asked for the combat parameters - we got the combat parameters.

Perhaps TW only shift their feet when we kick up a fuss but things can and do change.

Regrettably though - you do have to see a point with their - engine for mods model. At the end of the day 95% of the playerbase was on mods in Warband - if not more. Realistically speaking as long as the modders get what they need - the core game will be largely side lined no matter what they do. Very regretable - but screw it; whatever gets me Kingdom of Arda.

Because thats a minor flourish - a pickle on the side of your meal. Creating a few animations to slightly alter their reactions is a minor feat, something done in an afternoon once the animations are done. Even the audio is the same "Victory!! We Won!!!' -doesnt feel that different. Would have served better to add some new audio with less enthusiasm "We made it out lads..." "Praise the gods we're alive", "a grim day.." etc...

What we're asking/complaining about is deep seated and would take a major concerted effort and from everything ive seen mentioned -the developers have little interest in messing with the code as that could be costly in terms of more refactoring, resources etc... Did you pay attention to how many QoL and kingdom type decisions Mexxico passed on to the Committee of Nay that they quickly rebuffed? There are early access games (generally small teamed indies) which firmly take suggestions from the public and will radically adjust the vision of the game to incorporate them. I dont see this as one of them. Sure theyll add a few town barbers and a couple of new cheering animations but i fail to see how this shows foresight into them changing their stance on the larger framework of the game at this point.

Atleast its something.Even if shallow or bare minimum atleast its a bedrock/foundation from wich modders can try and expand upon/lay bricks/build from without needing to waste time/years and using bunch of different 3rd party or custom made tools,programs just to be able to create a bedrock/foundation.Thats why we/some of us say just bring back Warband feasts and wedding system/features back and even if its bare minimum and not expanded upon atleast the bedrock/foundation will be there for modders to lay bricks on and not wasting years on trying to forcefuly add logical features that should be in the game themself but it will atleast will make their life/work a bit more easyer and possibly in certain areas save modders and us players 1-2 or more years of wait due to not needing modders to reinvent or compeatly create and add the feature themself.

We will add clans to mention why they started voting for war or peace. This is a bit cosmetic but at least it will give a feedback to player why a war / peace is started.

In my current 1.5.9 game. I got my kingdom created and got a few lords. But I end up in so many wars, because the lords does vote for new wars when we already involved in several already. It doesn't make sense at all. I'm currently at war with Valandia, Sturgia, Western Empire and the Aserai of which is the only one that decleared war on me. The other ones made possible by my lords.

Please make it so your council of lords regard current active wars before start vote on new one. Why they vote for war or peace is nice and all, but WHY at all when already involved in several wars as it is? They get a few more fifes, staff them with skelton crew slog onward for more wars. The clans need to cool down time to actually care for their newly acquired lands too.

Back
Top Bottom