Any info on the kids?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I'm popping out kids left and right, I have like 8 now, but I dont know how to get them to grow or what else I can do. I went to the city where they are but cant get them in my party or anything, been about 300 days in game, and they arent growing. Any tips here?

The kids are the worst mechanics introduced into Mount & Blade, necessitating accelerated time and still they had to compromise and allow kids to join war parties at 6. That 504 in-game days. Meanwhile, player characters get just 84 days a year and had to deal with their characters getting older before even doing much in-game.

The kids are the worst mechanics introduced into Mount & Blade, necessitating accelerated time and still they had to compromise and allow kids to join war parties at 6. That 504 in-game days. Meanwhile, player characters get just 84 days a year and had to deal with their characters getting older before even doing much in-game.

Agreed.

Not a fan either. A typical male in the era would of surely had a good 30 years of fighting in him. I don't think we needed kids in the game, they just add a feeling of "chores" in a video game, when you are trying to escape the kids for an evening of gaming :grin:

I don't think we needed kids in the game, they just add a feeling of "chores" in a video game, when you are trying to escape the kids for an evening of gaming :grin:

I think the more appropriate take is that this generation isn't ready for such a perfectly logical mechanic. And by "this generation", I mean in the grand scheme of history. In the last 50 years or so, humanity has become incredibly selfish. The natural instinct to procreate and pass the torch to the next generation has been overwritten by "But what do I want for me and me only?" Some 6,000 years of human history and this is only a very recent thing, hence why I call it "generational", I'm not pinning this solely on Gen X or Gen Z or whoever.

In short, humanity has gone stupid and hates its own young to such a degree that this sort of mechanic was never going to be received too well. But whatever. I'm enjoying building my dynasty. I just wish they'd dial it back a bit on the birth rate. It's an extremely logical mechanic for a game of feudalism. Necessary, even.

(Also, no, I'm not calling the people in this thread stupid. I'm calling humanity stupid. We're literally taking measures to avoid pregnancy. People will actually do the deed, which exists to procreate whether your beliefs are religious or scientific, and will actively avoid the intended result by any means necessary. If that's not stupid, my dog is Albert Einstein.)

Last edited:
I think the more appropriate take is that this generation isn't ready for such a perfectly logical mechanic. And by "this generation", I mean in the grand scheme of history. In the last 50 years or so, humanity has become incredibly selfish. The natural instinct to procreate and pass the torch to the next generation has been overwritten by "But what do I want for me and me only?" Some 6,000 years of human history and this is only a very recent thing, hence why I call it "generational", I'm not pinning this solely on Gen X or Gen Z or whoever.

In short, humanity has gone stupid and hates its own young to such a degree that this sort of mechanic was never going to be received too well. But whatever. I'm enjoying building my dynasty. I just wish they'd dial it back a bit on the birth rate. It's an extremely logical mechanic for a game of feudalism. Necessary, even.

(Also, no, I'm not calling the people in this thread stupid. I'm calling humanity stupid.)
No, you are stretch too far.
How many RPGs implements a mechanic whereby the player character ages and die while their children grow up? A handful? The biggest RPG titles never had this feature because it's not about your children grow the **** up! It's about you! Your character, your journey, your experience! It's a stupid mechanic for a RPG period.

(Also, no, I'm not calling the people in this thread stupid. I'm calling humanity stupid.)

I think you are overthinking it.

It's a video game, people died by the thousands to dysentery, doesn't mean having your character excreting bloody diarrhoea is a good idea to add to the game.

Sometimes games just don't need it, this is one of those games.

There will be a mod to disable aging anyway. There is no reason to ask that feature to be removed from the game, when there are lots of people enjoying it. Those who don't enjoy would get a mod when it's out.

No, you are stretch too far.
How many RPGs implements a mechanic whereby the player character ages and die while their children grow up? A handful? The biggest RPG titles never had this feature because it's not about your children grow the **** up! It's about you! Your character, your journey, your experience! It's a stupid mechanic for a RPG period.
I think of it the same way as crusader kings where you are playing the house rather than a single person. Its good fun in that game. Its not implemented very well here though with the time and how fast kingdoms take over the map, needs some balancing but i hope they get it right.

Lovely debates yall are having, could someone slip in an answer to my question with the next discussion? I appreciate it

Yeah i would love to know as well, I conquered the whole of calradia. Just waiting to see if they will grow up.

I have the developer console to make them intantly be adults. But it isn't working either.

And for you guys doing the debate. I hope they don't remove it, Quite a lot of us are enjoying this. There are 2 ways to play now. You play for yourself solo, or Rule the kingdom with your family. It's pretty cool imo.

And i would like to see what the enemy lord's sons will do once i execute their father or brother. Cause i am sure they will do something with that.

Like you would execute a lord in your kingdom, For being hella annoying or a cheater. And that might cause a rebellion. Adds something completely new to the table.

For me, I legit got tired of beating and imprisoning and then beating up The same lords over and over. they are unkillable while all their men are dying left and right.

Last edited:

You can go from being a nobody to a king in the span of what is just a few years tops in-game.
How is that "not doing much"?
What exactly is your bar here? Attaining godhood?

And MY journey includes raiding a family and watching as my son conqueres the world.
This isn't a classical RPG, tough a PnP RPG game doesn't have a fixed time limit, and character dying and player rolling a new one (usualyl friend or family) is a common occurrence.
Your entire argument is stupid.

Totally disagree with you. It was the most looking forward new feature for me. The problem is the game finishes itself a waaaaay before your character can die (or your kids become old) due to snowballing issue. So you have nothing to worry. The average length of the game is 5-7 ingame years anyways.

You can go from being a nobody to a king in the span of what is just a few years tops in-game.
How is that "not doing much"?
What exactly is your bar here? Attaining godhood?
Yes.

How about that? You can be a king by collecting a banner, how's that for a lot of work. **** excuses.
What does attaining godhood entail in this game I wonder? Find a whooping 3 banners!? OMG I am in utter shock.

Totally disagree with you. It was the most looking forward new feature for me. The problem is the game finishes itself a waaaaay before your character can die (or your kids become old) due to snowballing issue. So you have nothing to worry. The average length of the game is 5-7 ingame years anyways.
How about that? Well I am in total disagreement with you too!
It's certainly not for me, and never had been. This "feature" was never asked for in a franchise that featured the play character going around doing whatever the player wants. Not raising a family, not dynasty succession, not this 84 day-year horse ****.

How about that? Well I am in total disagreement with you too!
It's certainly not for me, and never had been. This "feature" was never asked for in a franchise that featured the play character going around doing whatever the player wants. Not raising a family, not dynasty succession, not this 84 day-year horse ****.
I was always dreaming about mixture of Crusader Kings and Warband, and when I heard about these new generational mechanics about 5 years ago - I was super excited. If not this feature it will be just Warband reskin as I see. Personally for me there is no problem to roleplay dynasty as I always do in Crusader Kings series, but I can see that it can be disappointing and frustrating for you though. Anyway, I am sure, it will be easy modded out for players, that want immortal hero (Warband style) gameplay.
Also as I've stated before, the average campaign's length is 5-7 ingame years so you have nothing to worry about :grin::grin:
And about 84 day-year cycle. Yep that looks silly and bad Taleworld's design decision as I see also. It'll be better if they just address that problem with faster day-night cycle or Crusader Kings style with more time acceleration options.

Well when I play crusader king, I don't have to deal with time advance until I made all of my decisions and press enter turn.
This game is not crusader king. It's not design for you to be a disembodied consciousness floating in the air controlling everything. This is you roaming around doing your own things.

Back
Top Bottom