Any guide how to aim at greater distances?

Users who are viewing this thread

Falrinth

Regular
Im always confused at great distances when i have to aim... I dont know how much the bullet drops and how high should i aim :/ Anyone know some good guide, movie perhaps?

Past 100 years the bullet just goes off in any random direction, there is no technique to aiming at that distance, the only good tactic is massed volley fire.

It's something I have been meaning to test. From what I notice in pub matches and line battles, there is little significant bullet drop within 50 or so yards, but past that it seems to be quite significant. On cannon guard duty numerous times I have tried shooting my musket at enemy cannons to try and even aiming high at about a 30-40 degree angle I could see my bullets dropping way short most of the time.

TacticalRetreat said:
is it just me or do the bullets drop more than mm?
As Hader stated, the bulletdrop is bigger than MM after 50 yards or so, and bullets go mostly straight for the first 50 yards.
So it's not rly more, but more realistic (I guess) than MM.

If you're aiming to hit a group of people in the far distance, you're going to have to aim at least an entire reticule to 2 recitules height higher to hit (That means don't aim at people through your reticule, raise your sight about 4-6cm higher than the target, the bullet drops a huge amount compared to M&M)
A little tip to see how far you've fired too, when you fire. use the button to view outfit and look to the side of your character in third person view, you should see the shot land a lot easier. Use that to gauge exactly how much higher you should be aiming (If it only falls half way, double the height you aim etc). Bullets are still pretty accurate at far distances, I don't have too much trouble still hitting stuff. but don't expect to snipe the exact guy you have your sights on, if there are no larger crowds, save your time and try to move into a closer distance

It's still more a game of skill when aiming at distances than it is luck, so ignore players who say otherwise  :lol:

The 1tesWfs have tested this rather extensively recently. I made a map with those targets that tell you if you hit or not. Basically, the conclusion I drew was at ~125-150 meters, the drop suddenly becomes very extreme. Up until that point I could aim right at a target and hit it.

If anyone ever wants to practice on the targets, shoot me a message and I'll bring the map up on our server (provided no one is messing around on it).

If you aim directly at the body and you wont hit, then keep aiming higher until you get a hit :wink:

PS: If you rage in desperation then charge and try to pointblankhim :smile:

Well can't give you the math behind the bullet flight in this game but can give you a pointer. Whenever I play a siege mode (mostly on offense) I grab myself a nice rock or something to hide behind. Then I draw aim somewhere along the enemy fort wall. Wait for a head to popup to shot and jump up while still aiming and take a shot. If you focus on a spot your sure someone is constantly shooting from your going to nail them sooner or later. Just a matter of per-aiming on a target you know is there. And exposing yourself to counter fire for a shortest time possible. Sure a cannon ball could still land on your head but all is fair in war and war..  :mrgreen:

GameDrifter said:
Well can't give you the math behind the bullet flight in this game
On it

Lets start;

historical
ye old article said:
I’ve shot Brown Besses informally over the years, but this time I thought I’d try a little accuracy testing. Taking Colonel Hanger’s comments into account, I set up 2×4-foot target boards with central bullseyes at distances of 100, 50 and 25 yards. Firing was done offhand using a period-style British military-issue cartridge box and properly constructed paper cartridges, each containing 100 grains of FFg black powder and a .715 ball. A new flint, secured by a piece of leather (sheet lead was the more common material used in the early 1800s) was clamped into the jaws of the cock.

Our evaluation Brown Bess was an original India pattern from my own collection, which was in virtually unfired shape, having spent the better part of the last 150 years or so as a decoration in a Scottish manor house. It is unlikely the piece saw much, if any, use, and whatever limited service it might have had was probably in the hands of some Gaelic militia unit. It featured a reinforced cock, placing the date of manufacture at post-1809, its condition indicating that there is a good chance that it was produced so late that it never made it to the Continent. The gun was professionally checked out for serviceability–a practice that is imperative if one is going to shoot old, original firearms.

After repeated firing, the black-powder fouling builds up on the exterior of the lock and inside the barrel, affecting loading and ignition if care is not taken.
Following original loading techniques, five shots each were fired at the targets, beginning with the furthermost first. One can use the bayonet lug as a sort of crude front sight, and I tried to line it up
with the top of the breech in order to get something of a center hold on the boards. The gun functioned flawlessly, and once you get used to the flash and smoke of the powder in the pan going off just in front of your face and the slight lag between the whoosh of the priming and the boom of the main charge, it’s really easy to manage.

As the gun weighs in at some 93?4 pounds and is well designed with a high comb stock and wide buttplate, it’s actually quite pleasant to shoot. During the day’s adventure, including the range testing and later potting at various targets of opportunity at distances up to 200 yards (hopeless, as noted by Colonel Hanger), I probably put around 40 rounds through the musket without cleaning it, and while ramming a paper-wrapped ball became a bit more difficult toward the end, it was still manageable.

An inspection of the targets produced some surprises. At 100 yards only three balls struck the board at the bottom, with a spread of 11 1/2 inches–a grouping that was caused more by chance than any other factor. At 50 yards we had a 100 percent hit rate with a grouping of 20 inches, and at 25 a deadly eight-inch spread of all five balls. Basically, up to 50 yards, if someone were firing at you with a Brown Bess it looks like you were pretty much toast.

Our evaluation India-pattern Bess was fired at (left to right) 100, 50 and 25 yards. Accuracy at the farthest distance was pretty much catch-as-catch-can, but at the closer ranges the results were impressive and potentially deadly.

In game
Point within 2 Degrees left and right and within 5 degrees from center body mass is what i do

edit; found a list of varibles

ballistic coefficient of the bullets used
height of the sighting components above the rifle bore axis
the zero range at which the sighting components and rifle combination were sighted in
bullet weight
actual muzzle velocity (powder temperature affects muzzle velocity, primer ignition is also temperature dependent)
range to target
supersonic range of the employed gun, cartridge and bullet combination
inclination angle in case of uphill/downhill firing
target speed and direction
wind speed and direction (main cause for horizontal projectile deflection and generally the hardest ballistic variable to measure and judge correctly. Wind effects can also cause vertical deflection.)
air temperature, pressure, altitude and humidity variations (these make up the ambient air density)
Earth's gravity (changes slightly with latitude and altitude)
gyroscopic drift (horizontal and vertical plane gyroscopic effect — often known as spin drift - induced by the barrels twist direction and twist rate)
Coriolis effect drift (latitude, direction of fire and northern or southern hemisphere data dictate this effect)
Eötvös effect (interrelated with the Coriolis effect, latitude and direction of fire dictate this effect)
lateral throw-off (dispersion that is caused by mass imbalance in the applied projectile)
aerodynamic jump (dispersion that is caused by lateral (wind) impulses activated during free flight at or very near the muzzle)[29]
the inherent potential accuracy and adjustment range of the sighting components
the inherent potential accuracy of the rifle
the inherent potential accuracy of the ammunition
the inherent potential accuracy of the computer program and other firing control components used to calculate the trajectory

avion365 said:
GameDrifter said:
On it

Lets start;

historical
ye old article said:
I’ve shot Brown Besses informally over the years, but this time I thought I’d try a little accuracy testing. Taking Colonel Hanger’s comments into account, I set up 2×4-foot target boards with central bullseyes at distances of 100, 50 and 25 yards. Firing was done offhand using a period-style British military-issue cartridge box and properly constructed paper cartridges, each containing 100 grains of FFg black powder and a .715 ball. A new flint, secured by a piece of leather (sheet lead was the more common material used in the early 1800s) was clamped into the jaws of the cock.

Our evaluation Brown Bess was an original India pattern from my own collection, which was in virtually unfired shape, having spent the better part of the last 150 years or so as a decoration in a Scottish manor house. It is unlikely the piece saw much, if any, use, and whatever limited service it might have had was probably in the hands of some Gaelic militia unit. It featured a reinforced cock, placing the date of manufacture at post-1809, its condition indicating that there is a good chance that it was produced so late that it never made it to the Continent. The gun was professionally checked out for serviceability–a practice that is imperative if one is going to shoot old, original firearms.

After repeated firing, the black-powder fouling builds up on the exterior of the lock and inside the barrel, affecting loading and ignition if care is not taken.
Following original loading techniques, five shots each were fired at the targets, beginning with the furthermost first. One can use the bayonet lug as a sort of crude front sight, and I tried to line it up
with the top of the breech in order to get something of a center hold on the boards. The gun functioned flawlessly, and once you get used to the flash and smoke of the powder in the pan going off just in front of your face and the slight lag between the whoosh of the priming and the boom of the main charge, it’s really easy to manage.

As the gun weighs in at some 93?4 pounds and is well designed with a high comb stock and wide buttplate, it’s actually quite pleasant to shoot. During the day’s adventure, including the range testing and later potting at various targets of opportunity at distances up to 200 yards (hopeless, as noted by Colonel Hanger), I probably put around 40 rounds through the musket without cleaning it, and while ramming a paper-wrapped ball became a bit more difficult toward the end, it was still manageable.

An inspection of the targets produced some surprises. At 100 yards only three balls struck the board at the bottom, with a spread of 11 1/2 inches–a grouping that was caused more by chance than any other factor. At 50 yards we had a 100 percent hit rate with a grouping of 20 inches, and at 25 a deadly eight-inch spread of all five balls. Basically, up to 50 yards, if someone were firing at you with a Brown Bess it looks like you were pretty much toast.

Our evaluation India-pattern Bess was fired at (left to right) 100, 50 and 25 yards. Accuracy at the farthest distance was pretty much catch-as-catch-can, but at the closer ranges the results were impressive and potentially deadly.

In game
Point within 2 Degrees left and right and within 5 degrees from center body mass is what i do

the zero range at which the sighting components and rifle combination were sighted in
bullet weight
actual muzzle velocity (powder temperature affects muzzle velocity, primer ignition is also temperature dependent)
range to target
wind speed and direction (main cause for horizontal projectile deflection and generally the hardest ballistic variable to measure and judge correctly. Wind effects can also cause vertical deflection.)
air temperature, pressure, altitude and humidity variations (these make up the ambient air density)
gyroscopic drift (horizontal and vertical plane gyroscopic effect — often known as spin drift - induced by the barrels twist direction and twist rate)
Coriolis effect drift (latitude, direction of fire and northern or southern hemisphere data dictate this effect)
Eötvös effect (interrelated with the Coriolis effect, latitude and direction of fire dictate this effect)
lateral throw-off (dispersion that is caused by mass imbalance in the applied projectile)
aerodynamic jump (dispersion that is caused by lateral (wind) impulses activated during free flight at or very near the muzzle)[29]
the inherent potential accuracy of the computer program and other firing control components used to calculate the trajectory

Great post...thanks for sharing!

Shooting is unreliable, use the pointy end :wink:

but on a more serious note, aiming with a musket is a lot easier now I must say, you are always going to see where the bullet hits, wether its at their feet or above there head, just fire around 4-5 shots to make sure its not bad luck before ajusting your aim ... a lot of people will ajust their aim too soon thinking the unlucky shot was bad aiming, like the musket needs Zeroing on its sights.

IHA_PVT_Mack said:
avion365 said:
GameDrifter said:
On it

Lets start;

historical
ye old article said:

In game

bullet weight
range to target

Great post...thanks for sharing!

Yep +1

Back
Top Bottom