Another Steam & Activation Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Syncroh X

Recruit
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for help or a good advice with a Warband installation problem. I've already sent two mails to [email protected], but til now didn't get any answer. Seems as if they have better things to do once they got your money in the pocket. I also searched the forums and found some threads with similar topics, but none with exactly the same constellation. Since Fallout 3 I know I'm S.P.E.C.I.A.L., but I don't wanna be T.H.A.T. special  :???:

So...

I bought a boxed version of Warband (KochMedia, German vendor). While on the cover of the box it says something about an obligatory Steam account needed for installation, the manual that comes with the box says clearly I would just need a simple online activation to install Warband.

To cut a long story short, I browsed the forums and found a solution (seems almost an official one), installed the game via Steam, got my xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-serial from there, unistalled again, got the Warband download from TW's page, installed that one, activated it via internet and...  :shock: "No valid serial key" :shock:

Anyone had a similar problem and can tell me how to solve it?

I mean, I don't like bloatware and I don't see no reason for running Steam in the background while I just want Warband in the foreground  :!: Seriously, apart from playing the game I'm into mods & modding - always a tricky issue with Steam and its foamed file structure. Not to mention security & privacy on my computer.

If someone has got an idea how to handle this or if I did something wrong during installation process, I would appreciate their post very much. Otherwise I'd have to go on bugging a support section that doesn't seem to care too much about such secondary requests...

Thanks a lot  :razz:

Saludos.

What a pity, no reply... but thanks anyway, I'm sure somebody from the community tried at least. In contrast to the support that didn't answer till now...  :???:

Send them one more mail, and as I think it could maybe be interesting for others to see how they handle this kind of request, here's what I wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello... my last attempt to receive an answer. I think, 3 mails should suffice from my part. You know the problem I have with my Warband copy (above I left the mails I sent you before). And as I got no reply, I tried to solve it by myself. Browsing the official forums, I found a solution that they described in different threads, but unfortunately it didn't work for me, though I don't know why.

I left a thread in the forum asking for help, but until now nobody could tell me something in this regard. That's what I posted:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[First post here...  :neutral: ]

1. I wouldn't bother you with all this stuff, if Warband was only sold via Steam, but it's not like that. There are retail versions and direct download versions that work without a Steam account.

2. If buying that boxed version had been only my fault because of inattention, I would shut up and stop complaining, but I'm talking also about a wrong and obviously misleading information in the manual.

So at least you contributed to this confusion. Now I'm looking for a solution and sending you my third mail, but nothing happens. It's not as if I'm acting like a mad bull, running around and talking bad about your service. But you have the possibilities to give me some help or at least respond with a "Sorry, mate, can't do anything in this case".

Not even to respond is the worst behaviour you can show to a customer and could place you on the same level with many other companies that don't give a damn for a consumer as soon as he has paid the product.

Well, let me know if you can do something concerning my - legally - acquired serial key and a corresponding installation without Steam or go on playing hide-and-seek. Your decision... Maybe you think that the few Euros I paid aren't worth a fuss like that, but I guess both of us know that this is not the point.

Thanks at least for receiving my mails (I hope they didn't end up in the spam folder) and have a nice day.

The situation is kind of disappointing, but okay, maybe I should return to the first M&B or even better, look for another good game that doesn't deal neither with Steam nor with a fake support.

Saludos.

Thanx, krakpot  :wink:

If I find out something useful, I'll leave the info here. I guess there are more than two people who've got this problem.

See you...

Hello again, got some good news - especially for you, krakpot  :cool:

Finally I got a reply from [email protected] (they told me it took so long 'cause they had a National Holiday earlier this week. I have no reason not to believe this, so that's okay with me now).

They suspected a typo in the 4x4 serial key I got from Steam and confirmed that normally the installation should work the way I tried it (see post above). Actually I'm pretty sure there was no typo, but in the end you never know...

Quote: "If the error message says it's not a valid key, it usually indicates a typo. Because it's not possible that the key you get from Steam is not a valid one. Are you absolutely sure you've typed the serial key correctly? Also, you don't need to activate your game via internet anymore if you download the installers from our site, which you did, you just need to enter your 4x4 serial when the game asks you to."

We agreed that I'll send them my key so they could examine it with their own tools. Because one thing is for sure: I downloaded the installer from their page and it insisted in activating the game via internet and gave me the "Not valid" greeting.

Well, if anybody got the same problem, I strongly suggest to contact the support. Seems as if I was wrong in fearing they would behave the same way as many other so-called support teams  :oops:

Hope this info was helpful to somebody. I'll post if in the end I was able to play Warband without Steam or if not.

Saludos.

Hello, last round from my part...

I've got Warband up and running  :mrgreen: Seems as if the troublemaker was my firewall, though I don't have no idea why. When I installed the game the first time, I gave green light to the Warband executables, but it seems that wasn't enough. This time I disabled the firewall during activation process and everything worked out fine.

Okay, I'm gonna quit the forum for now and start my first Warband battle - yes  :wink:

Saludos.

Back
Top Bottom