Announcement: New Physics System in the works

Users who are viewing this thread

Darkness

Sergeant at Arms
I am not trying to back seat develop or back seat moderate. Why am i doing it? Because I am lazy :razz:. I figure this is the best way to get this information out to everyone instead of just posting on each new/old physics related topic about it and just letting a few people know that way at a time.

No bugs will be or have been fixed (well... for the most part I think) that are physics/collision/etc related. Why? Dev team is working on and putting in a new physics system in a few weeks time. So, until that time, do not be dismayed if your physics related suggestions or bugs go unheeded. They will be smashed (in the case of bugs anyway :razz:) by the exterminator that is taleworlds dev team ( :mrgreen:) in due time.

I do not know any more information than that. I do not know what gameplay mechanics if/will change, I dont know how anything will be or not be. I just have been told that a new physics system is underway.

This is just a community announcement so that everyone knows whats going on.

Proof I am not just BSing below:
Daegoth said:
I believe it [the physics system] will take around 2 weeks to become usable in the game. Most of the things are working fine with the new physics engine but there are lots of tiny parts to be worked on. You can tell people about the new physics engine integration progress of course

Editted: for word choice and evidence

Papa Lazarou said:
Intriguing. How do you know this?

Well, I get a bug report from Daegoth to update the bug list with each patch. And one patch after noticing the collision issues have been basically totally neglected/ignored/not dealt with in a long time. I asked what their status was out of curiosity. And he said they are putting a new physics system in which will hopefully better deal with those issues.

edit: Added part of his PM to OP.

Interesting. I wonder if it's going to be just another way of calculating physics that are already present (presumably faster/more accurate), or if they're going to add some new features. I could imagine a few and that would be truly awesome.

Merlkir said:
Interesting. I wonder if it's going to be just another way of calculating physics that are already present (presumably faster/more accurate), or if they're going to add some new features. I could imagine a few and that would be truly awesome.

I asked my roommate who is into game dev and is a CS major grad student about what this would cause. And he said it could be little changes to complete changes. It is basically how the game does physics, how it calculates and handles physics.

So, a new system could just mean faster and more accurate physics, or it could mean as much as new possibilities that an old system couldnt handle before. So, its a huge question mark, anything could happen it would seem :razz:

Darkness said:
Merlkir said:

I asked my roommate who is into game dev and is a CS major grad student about what this would cause. And he said it could be little changes to complete changes. It is basically how the game does physics, how it calculates and handles physics.

So, a new system could just mean faster and more accurate physics, or it could mean as much as new possibilities that an old system couldnt handle before. So, its a huge question mark, anything could happen it would seem :razz:

yes, as a CS major student myself, I meant exactly that. :wink:

Tibertus said:
As a guy who is realted to several CS major students, I pretty much know what's going on.

O_O good god, I think I'll better agree with everything you say from now on, to look more cleverer!

:wink:

Styo said:
Now not to rush the Devs  :wink:

But ETA of the new physics coming out?

how does "roughly two weeks" sound to you?

Sounds exciting!

I would love to see arrows bouncing off of stone and other "impenetrable" objects, as opposed to what we have now.  Arrow physics at this point could be handled client side as they would have no impact on game-play, thus having virtually no drain on server-resources.  Optional as-well, just like rag-doll.

This would greatly improve the atmosphere of ranged battles between groups of archers.  The CPU drain wouldn't be too intense either, have the arrow bounce off the object depending on the angle, etc.  and then it could disappear after a few seconds.

Sounds good, although I didnt really have a problem with the current engine (besides the occasional bug) but its always good to start with a fresh approach rather than endlessly build upon an existing model.

Back
Top Bottom