Allocating Fiefs - What do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fellow Kings, I was wondering how do YOU allocate your fiefs?

Some questions I have:
[list type=decimal]
[*]What type (town/castle/vil) / how many fiefs do you keep to yourself? And how did you come up with this composition?
[*]What is your fief allocation policy for your vassals?
[*]Any addition/corrections to the list of ideas below? (some conflicting with each other)
[/list]

My Thoughts on Fief Allocation
[list type=decimal]
[*]The more you fiefs Player has, the more income he loses due to inefficiency penalty >> therefore, less (directly controlled) fiefs for Player is better
[*]The more fiefs Player has, the more income he receives >> therefore, more (directly controlled) fiefs for Player better
[*]"Village" is the weakest fief type not because it has the lowest income but due to raidability. If it was only low income problem, one could easily assign 10 villages. But 10 raided villages won't produce anything, while a single castle would still generate income during military conflicts. >> therefore, less 'village-type' fiefs for Player, and more from others is better
[*]Towns generate the max income and hardest to take >> therefore, more (directly controlled) towns for Player is better
[*]When a base (town/castle) is conquered, if it is assigned to a vassal, its connected villages will be transferred to vassal along with the main base. If you first take this base as one of your directly controlled ones, and then assign it to the vassal, only the base will go and villages will stay in your direct control (=can be reassigned to another vassal)
[*]If one uses item 5 to seperate a base from its connected villages and then change mind and allocate all of them to the same vassal, this would cause unnecessary extra relation hit with other lords, so the above method should be used only when necessary (e.g. Assuming 1 town with 2 villages, if you give the town initially (just after conquest) other Lords will give you one relation hit. If you divide and assign town + 2 villages, you will get 3 hits).
[*]The more parties a faction has, the more military power it can apply, so assigning only one single fief to each Lord will help keeping more fiefs as 'unassigned' which in turn will increase your Factions chances of attracting Lords from other factions. (of course a King will need to take care of other attraction points such as honor,renown,RtR) >> therefore, giving no more than one fief to each vassal is good
[*]Item 7 will result in vassal Lords with smaller parties. Giving additional fiefs to vassals mean they can field bigger parties >> therefore, it is better to give additional fiefs to vassals
[/list]

Note on Question 1
This probably should be considered in conjunction with current strategic goals your Kingdom has [i.e. keep 1 base in France, 1 in England etc.] but I am asking mostly about the financial perspective. What is the optimal balance for a King to keep And how did you reach that number?

Note on Ideas 7 & 8
What I have been doing so far is:
a) initially assigning each Lord fief(s) that he deserves according to his renown, and my rough guide is:
less than 600 == deserves single village
between 600-1000 == deserves single castle
renown > 1000 == deserves castle-plus-one-village OR a town-plus-one-village

b) then observe vassals performance in campaigns and award additional villages to the deserving. Towns to the best guys I can rely on (can a good performing vassal be relied all the time or is it something like a dice roll is unknown to me, yet)

With all the above my current guesstimate is, as the King I should keep 2 or 3 towns directly assigned to myself and award the other fiefs to vassals and these will be my core fiefs to keep at all times. I may additionally need operational bases (castle more likely but could be town too) while running campaigns in a geographically distant location. (e.g.: Norway pushes on my nerves (again) I campaign in their land and I might need to quickly obtain a base and stack 2k troops there for future operations -- this is to be awarded to a vassal once the campaign is over).

Thanks in advance for any input!

Back
Top Bottom