AI-to-AI relations (holdings and minor factions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Regularity

Recruit
It's a given that, by siding with minor factions during a battle with someone else, you can raise your standing with that minor faction. Then they won't attack you. But does this also apply to any AI units affiliated with you? For example...

1) Your personal fiefs, and their spawns (patrols, caravans, etc).

2) Does being independent or a vassal matter for the purposes of the above? (e.g., does having a master make his standings override yours to determine hostility towards your patrols/caravans)

3) As an independent kingdom, are your own personal vassals influenced by your good relations? Or are raider factions and vassal AI hardwired to attack regardless of the personal standings of the king (you)?

These questions came about when I thought it would be a clever idea to cozy up to bandit factions so that (I hope) they would no longer harass my personal holdings -- thereby freeing up my patrols to concentrate on fewer targets, and having the added advantage of only attacking invaders (thus, kind of bolstering my own defenses, or at least distracting invaders to buy me time). But siding with minor factions usually means pissing off someone else, so I wanted to be sure it was worth it before attempting it.

In general, you gain more than you lose when you do this. Making bandits your friends (and also having the Red Brotherhood in your cities) can help as a form of additional militia.

I've done this with all the minor factions like the Jatu and various bandits/etc... As your tyran... empire expands, it's nice knowing that all your inden... civilian caravans can travel unmolested booting prosperity and revenue.

But it takes time, effort and removes one source of easy exp/training for your troops. I find it best to only intervene during times of war, e.g. I'd aid the Snakes when they are fighting the Empire. I don't want to aid the Snakes when they are fighting some mercs or darshivans... since I want to make 'nice' with those too.

Having good relations with adventure companies means no gems from the special spawn armys that are considered adventurers. :sad:

I think it's always worth it as long as the one you piss off is a major faction. After helping a minor faction against a major faction, you just need to pay a few denars and the relation with the major faction can be reset to zero.

jelf said:
I think it's always worth it as long as the one you piss off is a major faction. After helping a minor faction against a major faction, you just need to pay a few denars and the relation with the major faction can be reset to zero.

On a semi-related note, is there any advantage to having positive relations with an entire (major) faction above zero? I wanted to get friendly with the local bandits, but I'm just wondering since I'm a vassal that if lowering my faction standing with my masters faction (not the King specifically, but the faction relationship) will lower my chances of receiving fiefs, etc.

Asphe said:
I've done this with all the minor factions like the Jatu and various bandits/etc... As your tyran... empire expands, it's nice knowing that all your inden... civilian caravans can travel unmolested booting prosperity and revenue.

Tested this. While some may leave YOUR units alone, they still attack traveling caravans (from other cities), thus damaging your city's economy/trade -- even if it does protect your city's prosperity. Given that I think it may be better to leave them hostile so your militia attacks them on sight. You may lose a bit more farmers that way, but you'll also earn more by having more working trade routes.

Back
Top Bottom