AAR:Hammy The Pikeman

Users who are viewing this thread

Mabons

So... I was incredibly bored without my internet, so I decided I would start an AAR. I ABSOLUTELY PROMISE to complete this one, I always end up forgotting about these things... so anyways. I will use cheats, but only to buy the right items. I will not spam alt f4 etc. Just the teleport cheat and perhaps reloading if I die at the start of an important battle... makes it boring then. I will also play on easiest settings, just to make it that much quicker for updates. Also, if you find a spelling mistake, I don't give a ****, unless it is misunderstandable... So without further ado: MA AAR.

The story of Hammy.

A pigeon sat on the windowsill, cooing loudly. I awoke with a long yawn... Great... Now I’m back in reality. Moments ago, I was with my love; Bernatys, we were on Tevarin beach... it was a beautiful night, with more white than black in the sky. She was laying in my lap, and I was stroking her long brown hair; when she asked the question... “Will I ever see you again?”. No, probably not, I thought to myself; I dare not tell her. I wanted this night to be perfect... the night she would remember me by. I could not say it to her, she would stain her rosy face with tears...

I went downstairs, no one about. It must still be dawn... Blasted pigeon. So I decided it was best to go for a stroll, even though there was nothing to do in this ****ehole of a city. Jelkala might be the capital of the Rhodok kingdom, but it was pale in comparison to any of the finer Swadian cities. Especially Suno... his long lost home, exiled from it... forever. While he was remniscising, he heard the shout of a young boy down the alley, and rushed to it. Just as he turned the corner, the boy-indeed very young, he still had freckles-fell to his knees, his neck ablaze with blood. The murderer now feasted his eyes on Hammy, his cruel blade dripping crimson, and started forward. Hammy ran towards him, intending to wrestle the weapon of the man, who was much smaller and weaker than him. Startled, the man stopped, and swung his falchion at Hammy, scratching his arm. Oblivious from the attack, Hammy knocked the man to his feet, and the weapon went into a haystack. Hammy then put him into a death grip, and just when he was about to snap his neck, a man shouted “Stop!”.

He looked up, the man was obviously rich. Gold rings and necklaces adorned his hands and neck, and his robe was impressive. Accompanying him was two soldiers. Hammy let the murderer go, who promptly tried to run, but went straight into a wall. The guards grabbed him, and marched off. The rich man offered his hand, and Hammy took it. On his feet, Hammy asked who the man was. He was a merchant, one with connections to Shariz, a town Hammy had never heard of. He offered breakfast at his house. Hammy would of refused, but the tavern still would be empty. They walked past the blood covered boy, the merchant barely paying any attention, simply lifting his robe up. Must be a peasant boy, thought Hammy. They walked past derelict buildings, shanty towns, and some even less fortunate people, homeless beggars. Hammy felt watched the whole way, and indeed, the poor kept gazing at the rich man and the blood on Hammy’s arm. Eventually they reached the rich district, and the merchants house was huge, almost mansion size. His wife greeted him at the door, and when she saw me, quickly went back inside. Hammy thought she was perhaps scared of a strange man accompanying her husband, but she came back out with a towel and a bowl of water carried by another young woman. The wife simply said “Come inside, we will clean you”. Hammy looked at the merchant uneasily, who then nodded at him. Hammy entered the merchants house...

After being cleaned up, which did not require being naked as I was so nervous about, I was seated at a table. The same young woman came through from the kitchen I presumed, with a pot. Soup was being served. At the table, sat the merchant, and his wife, and two sons. After putting the pot down, the young woman sat at the table beside the wife. She must be the daughter then... The merchant then spoke, “I am Ramun. You may know me. I run the slave trading business in Calradia. They are imported from Geroia to Yalen, and I transport them by caravan, selling some here in Jalkala to the arena. Then I go to Shariz, who then transport the slaves off to the Nords, for their longboats see?”

I was barely listening, I was in bliss with the taste of the soup. It had been a long time since I had eaten something warm. Many weeks of travelling, by foot, had gotten me here, food was always raw, and scarce due to my poor hunting, or as my father liked to put it, “crap”. Of course, my old man was right surprised when I landed the attention of a noble lady. Boy, that knocked his teeth out... literally, he was so happy he went down to the tavern to celebrate. During the night he got into a brawl and passed out. The buggers thought it was funny to take his teeth... leaving me to make him some braces to hold his remaining teeth in...Ramun was still blabbering on “...The arenas are always needing slaves, some of them get so battered and bruised they can hardly walk anymore. Then they are used as food for the poor, and they don’t know it! They are cut up and mixed into the bad wheat. Stops the bastards complaining to Graveth about not having enough food. That reminds me, you should try your hand at the arena... So whats your story lad? Why are you here in Jelkala?”

At this, I pushed my empty bowl forward, and leaned back, in a sort of narrating pose, hands behind my head. “Well, I got off with a noblemans daughter, which in turn caused him to turn up at my house, sword in hand. I thought he was going to slay me there and then, so I drew my sword and we fought for an hour in the street. My god why the guards did not hear us, I’ll never know, but he had managed to cut me on the leg badly, and so I simply lobbed his arm off. I did not intend to kill him... I simply intended to defend myself. He did survive, but reported straight to King Harlaus, his liege. Harlaus was furious, but he did not have time for court, or the men to spare for an execution, so he simply exiled me from Swadian lands. I think I would rather of died there, would of saved me the pain of being brutally beaten by his guards, and then flung out Suno. Then having to walk all the way to Tevarin castle to tell his daughter that I had to leave. Word had not reached her yet of what I had done, my luck beginning to turn. After that night, I left to the west, not knowing where I was going or why. I eventually came across a caravan, and they offered to give me a lift, god bless them. They fed me up, and showed me a tavern. In return, I am to save the captains brother, who I have no idea where he is, or what he looks like.”

At this point, Ramun interrupted, “You mean Brian’s brother? Robert? He is a short fellow, blonde haired. A band of men kidnapped him, I know where their hideout is, but I wouldn’t go alone. Here, take the falchion that the murderer had, you will need that too. You can always find some lads looking for coin at the tavern. They’ll be plenty enough to help you. Hope you enjoyed the meal mister...?” “Oh Hamish, I have a surname but I am not telling anyone it, to avoid more trouble...” “Ah well understood, just look out for yourself out there, Calradia is not a kind lady like my wife here. No, she is a real bloodthirsty hoor, taking many men’s lives daily.” “Yes... as I seen this morning...” I said as I walked out the door. The streets were busy now, with horses and other livestock. A stray dog eyed an old beggar intently, the beggar was coughing loudly, laying on the ground. I walked up to the man, asking if he was alright. The beggar was startled, obviously surprised someone was caring. “No, I fell... I think I’ve broken my leg... Godamn this is the end of me...” I wasted no time, I lifted him and carried him to the hay at the side. “Is this ok? Until the guards find you and take you in?” “Yes, but the guards will never take me... This will do, I can die here...” Shocked at what the man was saying, I started to pick him up again, but he pushed me away. “No no, leave me, I have lived enough. I said GO AWAY! Thief! GO AWAY!” He was attracting attention to us, and so I walked off. I saw what he was doing, trying to get some attention to get some help. Clever old bugger I thought as I walked back to the tavern.

I now felt a certain comfort, I had a structure to my life now. I had a plan I could follow. My plan was to go to the arena, see if I could learn anything new to fighting... And then maybe get some help from the locals, to rescue “Robert”. The arena doors were huge... and covered in bloody hand marks. Men and women were pouring in, and even some older children. He approached the man at the desk on his right. “Where do I apply to fight?” The man looked up, and smirked, “Here. Boy you could do some damage in there.” He must of been referring to my bulging arms. ****ing queer bastard. “I could do some damage to you right now ya ******.” Startled the man jumped out his chair, “Woah calm down big fella, all I meant was that you could probably hurt a lot. Not meaning anything... strange by it. Just go down the stairs here mate, the armourer will equip you, and take all your possessions for safekeeping. You’ll be given a weapon at random, and will only be wearing bottoms you have on right now, you know, because you’ll be sweating a lot, but we have to keep you covered somewhat...” The man sniggered. I walked down the stairs, and realised the man was right, I was much stronger and bigger than most of the men here... Must be the slaves Ramun was talking about. The armourer walked over, handing me a long wooden staff. “This is your weapon, try not to break it scum. And if you’re going out, try to make it dramatic, the crowd loves that...” his conversation was lost in the noise of the crowd above. “Looks like another ones out, get up there!” He said to one of the men. The man grudgingly got on his feet and moved up the other staircase. Another roar from the crowd gave him a fright. “Oh crivens another one... You!(Pointing at me) Ready?” I nodded, and gripped my staff. “Right, I didn’t finish what I was telling you, if you win, you get 250 denars. That is ONLY after you beat 30 men. You stand a good chance of that... Just watch your back... Alright get up there, they will be running out!”

I ran up the stairs, the daylight sore in my eyes, after being in the dark. Across the arena, one competitor was holding off two men on a set of stairs. An arrow shot past my head, about 5 inches wide.  Ducking, I looked at the direction it came from, a tree was there. I sprinted towards the tree, and surely enough, the scrawny man who left before me was hiding behind it. I smashed his face with the staff, and he begged for mercy. “Why should I give you any! You just tried to plant an arrow in my face!” I roared above the crowd. “Finish him finish him finish him!” And so I did. I cracked his ribs, blood went flying across the tree. The man who was fighting off the other two was also done. He now walked towards me, and I strangely did the same, as if an invisible rope was pulling me... He held his bastard sword high, I recognised it instantly from my years as a smith. He was going to try for my head... And so I readied myself to dodge. At the last second, I dodged, but nothing fell. “What th-“ The sword hit me in the stomach knocking the wind out of me. Thank god they are blunt, that would of spilled my guts. “Haha! Fool! I’ll tear you limb from limb!” I retreated, and he followed. He began to thrust, so I dodged again, and this time a light swing into his chin. He let out a cry, and swung, missing, and swung again. Parrying it off, I whacked him in the groin, and then kicked his feet away. He fell in pain, and I then readied my staff for a thrust into his neck. The crowd were screaming in ecstasy. I attacked, swift and accurate, dislocating his jaw. He didn’t move after that. Just as I turned round to gloat to the crowd, I heard a grunt. I jumped to the side, and the sword fell beside me. The fool forgot to hold on, or rather, was too weak to. I kicked him in the stomach, and whacked his head. He fell instantly.

Watch your damn back... at this a horseman came out the gate. Lance in hand, he began his gallop. I was terrified, knowing the true strength of cavalry from the Swadian armies. He’d seen them clash with the Nords in an orgy of violence, the cavalry charge was devastating. Shields splintered, horses crushed, and men died. All I had was this staff. The stairs were not far away. I began sprinting for them, all the while watching the horse get closer. I was just about there, when the man lowered his lance. Almost there... I could hear the horse neighing... it must of been ten feet away now. I leaped for the stairs, and readied my staff. In one fluid motion, I knocked the man off the horse, who did not get up, but instead sat there holding his arm. He must of broke it, or at least sprained it. I ran to him, and quickly put him down too. A bell rang in the distance. The armourer came out, and walked up to me. “The arenas closing, get inside, get your ****, and get out, before the crowd finds you. You’ll never get peace.” Wondering if it was something dangerous I should be aware of, or if it was just the crowd wanting to congratulate me on my little streak, I obeyed him. I had learnt one thing... a staff, or polearms in particular, were rather versatile...

Next stop, was the tavern. There was a bunch of young lads round a table. I sat at the bar, and ordered a pint for each of them. I told the barkeep to suggest a job to them. It was a bit queer... but it was all I could do. Thankfully, they took it the right way, and invited me to join them at the table to discuss the job. Their ringleader was Jakob, clearly smarter than the rest. “So, you want us to help you with that kidnapped guy. We’ll come along, knock some skulls, and then disappear if you pay us 10 denars each, in all 80.” “Deal, would ye like another pint?” They all eagerly nodded. That night, I slept comfortably...

EDIT: Right thats chapter 1 finished and edited with a wee bit of paragraphs. Makes it easier indeed. I'll keep them small from now on :smile:

Mabons said:
No replies? D:

Not even to say it sucks?  :roll:
I've read it and its great thou you should as Waddy said use smaller paraghaps. Maybe turn it a bit more into a diary like monnikje instead of a personal story. Its not that its bad it just takes to long to write and those feelings take up alot of space.

Great keep them coming, but I agree that you do need to go into diary form or somethig.

Yes, good writing, filled with action :grin: but, I agree with the others, you need something else besides the text.

But otherwise very good, keep writing :smile:

The past few days had been pretty busy for me, so I guess I had overlooked your AAR :shock:. But I'm glad I found it now.

A nice start of the story, indeed filled with action. I'm looking forward to the bandit lair you'll have to get to (everyone has to get past this first mission), to get Robert. Keep up the pumping action.

Something I noticed, is that you started out in the first person (I), and in the beginning of the second paragraph switch to the third (he). Later on you switch again. It was a bit confusing, so maybe you could next time stay with one perspective?

I agree that you're story could use some shorter paragraphs. Try to have a look at My Inevitable Greatness by Peter Ebbesen or Realm of the Wolf by Wyvern, both on the Paradox forum. Both are also story-based AARs. Especially the one by Peter Ebbesen has also pretty long chapters. But he uses more paragraphs, and nowadays also pictures, making it easier to read. I disagree that you should turn it into a diary like I have done with my AAR: keep up the action-based story.

I'm looking forward to your next chapter!

[edit]Ow, and don't be too disturbed if you don't get many responses immediately: when I started 'Me, Floris' on the Paradox forum, I had for example no response between chapter 2 and 4, and there are some more times I had no response. Just keep on going, and the people will come back and respond, until you have a day job replying to them :wink:.

• Mabons said:
    No replies? D:

Not even to say it sucks?  :roll:
    The writing is decent and you are off to an interesting start.

You do, however, have a significant problem with style, which renders it a chore to read rather than an unalloyed pleisure currently. You must remember that your readers are reading this on a monitor and, even worse, they are most likely reading it using the unfriendly black on greyish default forum colour scheme.

What does this mean in practice?
  • It means that long paragraphs are right out. It is hard to give exact guidelines on this, but as a rule of thumb, using a text width of 800 pixels and a normal sized font, your paragraphs should mostly run 3-6 lines and seldom more than 10.
  • It means that when you are using staccato sentences, you should really consider having each block in its own paragraph or separated by linebreaks where conversation is concerned

You also have a few other problems with style, but what the hell, we all do. Those two are the biggies. :smile:

Let me take as an example your second paragraph:
    I went downstairs, no one about. It must still be dawn... Blasted pigeon. So I decided it was best to go for a stroll, even though there was nothing to do in this ****ehole of a city. Jelkala might be the capital of the Rhodok kingdom, but it was pale in comparison to any of the finer Swadian cities. Especially Suno... his long lost home, exiled from it... forever. While he was remniscising, he heard the shout of a young boy down the alley, and rushed to it. Just as he turned the corner, the boy-indeed very young, he still had freckles-fell to his knees, his neck ablaze with blood. The murderer now feasted his eyes on Hammy, his cruel blade dripping crimson, and started forward. Hammy ran towards him, intending to wrestle the weapon of the man, who was much smaller and weaker than him. Startled, the man stopped, and swung his falchion at Hammy, scratching his arm. Oblivious from the attack, Hammy knocked the man to his feet, and the weapon went into a haystack. Hammy then put him into a death grip, and just when he was about to snap his neck, a man shouted “Stop!”. He looked up, the man was obviously rich. Gold rings and necklaces adorned his hands and neck, and his robe was impressive. Accompanying him was two soldiers. Hammy let the murderer go, who promptly tried to run, but went straight into a wall. The guards grabbed him, and marched off. The rich man offered his hand, and Hammy took it. On his feet, Hammy asked who the man was. He was a merchant, one with connections to Shariz, a town Hammy had never heard of. He offered breakfast at his house. Hammy would of refused, but the tavern still would be empty. They walked past the blood covered boy, the merchant barely paying any attention, simply lifting his robe up. Must be a peasant boy, thought Hammy. They walked past derelict buildings, shanty towns, and some even less fortunate people, homeless beggars. Hammy felt watched the whole way, and indeed, the poor kept gazing at the rich man and the blood on Hammy’s arm. Eventually they reached the rich district, and the merchants house was huge, almost mansion size. His wife greeted him at the door, and when she saw me, quickly went back inside. Hammy thought she was perhaps scared of a strange man accompanying her husband, but she came back out with a towel and a bowl of water carried by another young woman. The wife simply said “Come inside, we will clean you”. Hammy looked at the merchant uneasily, who then nodded at him. Hammy entered the merchants house...

Without changing anything fundamentally, it can still be made considerably easier on the eyes to read:

I went downstairs, no one about. It must still be dawn... Blasted pigeon. So I decided it was best to go for a stroll, even though there was nothing to do in this ****ehole of a city. Jelkala might be the capital of the Rhodok kingdom, but it was pale in comparison to any of the finer Swadian cities. Especially Suno... his long lost home, exiled from it... forever.

- Okay, that's our new second paragraph. Pigeon should probably be pigeons and you are misusing the world pale - the proper sentence you are looking for is "Jelkala might be the capital of the Rhodok kingdom, but it paled in comparison with..." but we all get the idea - first person internal monologue setting the scene. The one jarring word is "his". "I went", "I decided", but "his long lost home". Shifting to third person to refer to oneself while doing internal narrating is a dangerous move, but you are sticking with it from then on. It would have been significantly more elegant to end the paragraph in first person and perform the switch in a new sentence not directly connected to the previous one as the first sentence of the next paragraph. That's not essential as the important thing is to chop up your monster paragraph into something readably, but it is something to remember. Onwards to the next paragraph!

While he was remniscising, he heard the shout of a young boy down the alley, and rushed to it. Just as he turned the corner, the boy-indeed very young, he still had freckles-fell to his knees, his neck ablaze with blood. The murderer now feasted his eyes on Hammy, his cruel blade dripping crimson, and started forward.

Hammy ran towards him, intending to wrestle the weapon of the man, who was much smaller and weaker than him. Startled, the man stopped, and swung his falchion at Hammy, scratching his arm. Oblivious from the attack, Hammy knocked the man to his feet, and the weapon went into a haystack. Hammy then put him into a death grip, and just when he was about to snap his neck, a man shouted “Stop!”.
    - The next few lines were split in two paragraphs - the first setting the scene, the second showing Hammy's actions. When stuffed together in one paragraph with no breaks, readability suffers somewhat from Hammy, the victim, and the murderer all being referred to using "him" and "his". It is correct English, but clarity improves significantly with a bit of space, especially considering your short sentences. Oh, and a neck can't be "ablaze" with blood. It just cannot. It is neither on fire nor does the blood signify an emotion.

He looked up, the man was obviously rich. Gold rings and necklaces adorned his hands and neck, and his robe was impressive. Accompanying him was two soldiers. Hammy let the murderer go, who promptly tried to run, but went straight into a wall. The guards grabbed him, and marched off. The rich man offered his hand, and Hammy took it.
    This part deserves a complete rewrite. Hammy has just come across as a competent fellow who, upon encountering a murder by surprise, has disarmed the murderer and is about to crush the neck of a murderous bastard and we are supposed to believe that he now doesn't hand the murderer over to the soldiers but lets go of him in such an incompetent way that the murderer is only transferred to the custody of the soldiers because he runs into the wall? That's not the Hammy we want to meet! Let's try that again. Hammy and the merchant, take #2!
    He looked up at the man whose shout had stayed his hands. He saw a man clad in impressive robes, with golden rings adorning his fingers and a thick gold necklace around his neck, who was accompanied by two armed men. Obviously a wealthy man and his guards, Hammy thought to himself, as he slowly rose and handed the murderer over to them. As the two guards grabbed the murderer and marched off, the richly clad man extended his hand in friendship and Hammy took it.

And so on and so forth. I have just used four paragraphs to cover the first half of your second paragraph and, whether you like my rewrite of "Hammy hands over the murderer" or not, ignoring that and just splitting up the text has vastly increased readability.

Keep up the good work - and work on your presentation.  :smile:

:O

I'm just going to reply to Peter with a "lolwut?"

I did not want to put it in Diary form. That's what everyone does. It might be slightly more interesting... But I wanted to be a wee bit different. Again I noticed the change from first person to third person. It was supposed to be a wee bit of humour y'know. "Hammy did this... Hammy did that..." Hammy is a funny name? Well for a pikeman soldier anyways :grin:

My first serious sort of AAR, and I will be playing it out amongst the CoR M2TW Hotseat Campaign.

And I'll get round to some pictures. I have taken some Screenshots, I just don't upload them. Takes a while with this worthless net...

And yes thanks for the wee bit of encouragement. :grin:

Mabons said:
:O

I'm just going to reply to Peter with a "lolwut?"
Hehe. I guess I deserve that. I come from the Paradox forums where AAR writing is more of an established art form and thought you could use a few pointers. Presentation isn't everything, but it goes a long way towards making an AAR a pleasure to read.

I did not want to put it in Diary form. That's what everyone does.
Good for you! There are so many different established AAR forms to choose from that it would be a shame if all those written in the TaleWorlds forum were in diary form. You have definitely chosen one of the harder ones as it is nearly impossibly to express yourself in brevity using a first/third person action-oriented format, but the single most important aspect of AAR writing is to write something that one has an enjoyable time writing, whether it be easy or hard.

Yeah this is like my first serious "I'm gonna finish this one" AAR. No matter if it takes me years or not :F

Nice AAR Mabons.

Peter Ebbesen said:
Let me take as an example your second paragraph:
I went downstairs, no one about. It must still be dawn... Blasted pigeon. So I decided it was best to go for a stroll, even though there was nothing to do in this ****ehole of a city. Jelkala might be the capital of the Rhodok kingdom, but it was pale in comparison to any of the finer Swadian cities. Especially Suno... his long lost home, exiled from it... forever.

- Okay, that's our new second paragraph. Pigeon should probably be pigeons and you are misusing the world pale - the proper sentence you are looking for is "Jelkala might be the capital of the Rhodok kingdom, but it paled in comparison with..."
Your wrong it is pigeon and not pigeons given that it referring to the pigeon that cooing in the window sill. As for the pale in comparison it is correct in this case , the only problem in this bit is that "was" is used instead of "is" but this is really minor.

For OP as for paragraphing the first paragraph IMO should end after It must still be dawn... Blasted pigeon. Other than that I think your well on the way to a good story looking forward to reading the next bit.
edit: fixed quotes.

The Darklord said:
Your wrong it is pigeon and not pigeons given that it referring to the pigeon that cooing in the window sill.
Good point.

I do wonder how Hammy noticed that the sound that had awoken him came from a pigeon in the windowsill, but had to go downstairs to notice it was dawn and, upon having done down and noticed that it was dawn cursed the blasted pigeon - but you are right, that's what the text implies and I just didn't read it right the first time. Presumably he was still very sleepy at the time. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom