A New Method of Sea Travel?

Users who are viewing this thread

While there has been a lot of lively and stimulating discussion on this topic, there doesn't seem to be any workable method to make AI parties automatically become ships (not just look like ships) when required.

With a lot of help from Idibil I have discovered that the best solution for my mod is to create sea paths with ford/bridge tiles and border them with river tiles.  This means that land parties will take the path if it is the fastest route.  A simple trigger changes the icons (this does not make them ships.  It just makes them look like ships).
Meanwhile, parties that are ships (such as the player's ship and pirates) can cross these land bridges freely.  This is because of a blindingly obvious condition that it took me a week to figure out:
1. Ships can pass from ocean to river.
2. Ships can pass from river to ford.
3. Ships can pass from ford to river.
4. Ships can pass from river to ocean.

Oddly enough, once my ship passed one sea path with the river/ford combination, it could also pass another sea path made up of only bridge/ford tiles. 

This method requires a lot of map modification, but offers the best combination of land/sea mobility currently possible.

I thank everyone for their contributions.

Back
Top Bottom