A few issues from my last few days of play.

Users who are viewing this thread

I realise this could be seem as inflammatory and I also realise that this game is in it's early stages of release, before I'm leapt upon by defensive devs or players, please understand that I've waited for this with baited breath and myself and my friends were looking so forward to this.

But what is this game? I played for a few hours last night and had to mine for about 2/3 of my play time just to afford a leather jerkin and a spear! Once the raids became so frequent I was forced to fight rather than flee (and how are the Vikings able to be in full tin-can armour when we can barely afford leather!) I was killed twice by friendlies because of the lack of nametags, I even admit to stabbing a friend of mine who I thought was a Viking!

Swords are nigh-on-useless, the Vikings seem to be given free to gear and are able to roam about killing -anything- without impunity or the want to RP (which I had hoped this server would bring much of!) and we are helpless as the severely underpopulated Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms to stop them! (Unless Byrn throws enough stones)

As said, I understand it's a beta but my main concern for this server so far is the very confusing economy, the Viking favoritism from the devs and the lack of nametags. When/if they are adressed I think we can look to be having a lot more fun.

I'm just worried this botched launch could turn away the community we would have wanted,  I know a few people have already rage quit and that's in the last 2 hours of playing today!

Thanks for reading, and I really, really hope this server sorts itself out. It really has the potential to be awesome.

The devs were inspired by the ( hyper unrealistic and historical incorrect ) series vikings. There the vikings can kill a whole saxon army without great losses on their own side, while they are outnumbered 3:1. So to make this Mod like this series the vikings MUST be OP and we, who love RP ( and the ones who in reality were the great fighters. Vikings just had success thanks to their fast raids. In later years the vikings lost more battles than they won :wink: ) , must accept the fact, that the devs made us the underdogs of this Mod.

Hey there,

Don't worry. I don't see your post as flaming, it's just criticism, which is defenately needed in the early stages of this mod.

The ruleset of the mod/server is being worked on.
We did not base the mod of the tv show ''vikings'' nor did we let ourselves be heavily inspired by it, we did try to immerse some of it ( mostly scenery ) because of it's popularity.
We do not heavily favour the vikings, it's much harder to get a good class/good gear as a viking, you simply joined the server after some vikings have had weeks to prepare.
Vikings are not completely OP, they have slightly increased stats ( terms like ''OP'' could only be applied to their highest tier troop, which is indeed OP, but comes at a very very high pricetag ).

We're still trying to sort everything out, and what works best in practice.
There was no way for us to test that privately, there had to be a beta release for us to be able to see what works and what doesn't.

The simplest solution seems quite obvious to me after a few days of play. When Vikings landed in England, they were amazed at the fertility of its soil, and the great wealth and technology of the Saxons. Boost the mainland economy. Give the Saxons the tools they need to power through the grinding stage at the beginning of a PW character. I have a few issues with how the Vikings seem to ALL be able to tincan, as historically speaking only the most wealthy warriors could afford chain suits, but I can write that off as a game wanting certain factions to have unique strengths.

The goal was to make chainmail very hard to get. Seems we failed there a little bit.
Combination of economic bugs on the map + a glitch ( that also works in pw ) to get money kind of ruined it.
We hope that once we've fixed these issues, the tincans will become less and less present over time.

Yeah; if you reduce the amount of tincans on the field and increase the price for good armour and weapons tenfold, that alone should fix a lot of the problems.

Also, make the Anglo-Saxon economy way stronger, especially if you intend to have multiple factions of them. More farmland would be a good way to do it.

I also suggest having the cost to become a smith be higher. Smiths that are able to forge weapons and the like should be an expensive and dedicated skill, as it took years to train and become a competent smith for weapons and armour.

Combine that with price and that should achieve what you want- rarity of chainmail and high level gear.

Can't really sympathize with OP, since Northumbria rekt the Vikings yesterday every time they tried to do anything.

Teamwork > everything else.

While the Vikings are able to arm up and go on raids with fantastic equipment, if they die in England that's it. There's no respawning in a city to gear up and run back, you're done, dead, worm food. Yes, the Vikings now have good equipment because since reset they've been econning like hell so they have the money to do that, but the point still remains that raids aren't really ever that profitable and most people wind up losing money. There are no vast riches to be had from raiding England at the moment, mostly just massive losses of money.

After a few days more of playing this mod, I can say myself and my clan have fallen inlove with it.

We played firstly as the Whoresbanes, now we play as the Lundenwic chaps.

Armour is easier to come by when we work our arses off but that's generic PW serfing to get a lot of money in the coffers and to generate an economy!

I have two suggestions to add: Allowing the Saxons to sell the Crowns they re-capture, and also giving Saxon warrior classes a labour skill so they're able to generate gold/work the fields and then arm and armour during a raid, like a would be militia. Our classes aren't as strong as the Vikings and I enjoy how we have to up our tactics when facing Vikings to hit and run/kill their cart carrier/harass them with arrows/javelins enough for them to start falling back.

I'm loving the mod, my only criticism would be to add a few more Admins to the time or some more impartial members to the staff!

Back
Top Bottom