SP - General A couple of features from StarSector (The M&B of space games) that would fit nicely in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Much like Mount and Blade, in Starsector you can create armies, control those armies on a world map and enter a simulation warzone while also being one of the ships participating in the simulation commanding the fleet from the battlefield. There's definitely things bannerlord does better, but just a couple things Starsector does stood out to me.

1. When you assist an ally in Starsector, the battle has already begun and your allies and enemies are already engaged in a fight. A very small but impactful change. You are the reinforcements coming in late to a battle, it should look like it! Unfortunately for the player this also means that they won't be able to prepare with their fellow allies on formation strategy as the battle has begun. In order to ensure the player doesn't miss out on too many battle-beginnings, you could have a 3 - 5 second delay where if you see a battle and rush to it quickly then the battle will start from the beginning. This feature would add a whole different element to simulations; requiring fast decision making skills and excellent strategy. Do you help your allies or is the battle lost? Do you only send archers to help skirmish minimizing your looses? Are your allies in a defensive position? Can you protect your allies retreat (which brings me to my next point below!)

2. Disengaging from battles. When you are overwhelmed by the enemy in Starsector, you enter a simulation where you attempt to either kill enough of them so they won't chase you down on the world map, or run away. Both require you to enter a simulation and to run to the opposite edge of the map or skirmish to ensure a safe retreat Both parties start at the bottom of the map, as well as some enemies on the left or right side towards the exit. This is much more fun than a pop-up screen that rolls the dice on if half of my army lives or dies. Seems weird to train all those high tier troops and I don't even get to see them fight, even if I'm loosing.

That's basically it. This next suggestion is very long-term but I thought I'd suggest it as it's the main problem why #1 wouldn't be "authentic". Battles the player isn't apart of don't go through simulations, they go through a formula. There's no secret ultra-low polygon chess match going on when the player isn't around, it's just tier-based roll the dice nonsense. So the only way to make #1 possible is to plop troops artificially down in a battlefield. While I'd love to see "true-simulations" I totally understand that's a can of worms that TW isn't prepared to open yet.

Also Starsector is really good.

Last edited:
+1

I really like both 1 and 2. Beyond just the interesting mechanics they provide, it would also add variation to battles in general.

Back
Top Bottom