80th (Staffordshire Volunteers) Regiment Of Foot

Users who are viewing this thread

Welcome To The 80th (Staffordshire Volunteers) Regiment Of Foot Forum!
We are a casual UK based regiment. We are in need of more members before we can actually participate in line battles. Casual players are encouraged to join, as the 80th (Staffordshire Volunteers) Regiment Of Foot aren't a professional regiment (nor do we aim to be) however we do expect all members to be disciplined and in a role-play mind-set.
Regimental History:
The regiment was raised by Lord Henry Paget as the 80th Regiment of Foot, in response to the threat posed by the French Revolution, on 9 December 1793. The regiment was largely recruited from the Staffordshire Militia and comprised men living on the estates of Paget's father, The Earl of Uxbridge.
French Revolutionary Wars
Within three months of raising the 80th Foot were stationed in Guernsey from where they sailed to Flanders. They remained there until 1795, and were evacuated at the end of a disastrous campaign which ended in a decisive French victory. They remained in England for only a short time as they formed part of a force formed to assist in the landing of French Royalist troops on the Île d'Yeu off the Vendée coast of France. Arriving on the island in September 1795 in an already weakened state, the 80th Foot had lost half of its strength by the time it was forced to return to Britain in January 1796.
Following the French conquest of the Netherlands the Batavian Republic had been established in 1795, taking over the various Dutch colonial possessions, and declaring war on Great Britain. The British quickly seized control of the Cape of Good Hope from the Dutch and in 1796 the 80th Foot arrived in the territory, taking part in an operation to capture a Dutch naval squadron in August of that year.
Egyptian campaign
The Great Sphinx of Giza, early 19th century
In December 1796 the regiment sailed for Ceylon, arriving in January of the following year. In 1801 the 80th were dispatched to Egypt as part of a force seeking to dislodge French forces there that threatened access to India. Parts of the regiment were shipwrecked and they did not come into contact with the enemy, but they were awarded the badge of a "sphinx super scribed Egypt" along with other units that took part in the campaign.
India 1803-1817
In 1802, following the Treaty of Amiens the various volunteer corps that had been formed during the war were to be disbanded. The Staffordshire Volunteers, which had been raised in 1798, chose to be merged with the 80th Foot, which became the 80th Regiment of Foot (Staffordshire Volunteers). In the same year the 80th sailed back to India, again suffering shipwreck on the journey. They remained in India until 1817, fighting in the Second Anglo-Maratha War of 1803-1805 making punitive expeditions against the Nairs of Wayanad and Calicut and seeing service in the Travancore War of 1808-1809.They remained in southern India until 1817.
Its lineage is continued today by the 3rd Battalion, Mercian Regiment.

Roster:
Officers:        NCO's
Colonel: Weeny              RSM: N/A
Major: Jageru                  CSM: N/A
Captain: N/A                                     
Lieutenant: N/A                                 
2nd Lieutenant: N/A                           
Ensign: British Teapot
How To Apply:
To apply, Simply put a post on this forum with basic details about you, or contact [80th Staffords] Weeny On Steam.

He, i am intressting. Sorry for my bad english. I am very bad in typing XD. Anyway. About me. Im a Dutch Person. My name is Dennis, i am 14 years old and i buyt the game on talewords. Not on steam. I hope its not a problem. But., Im very good in shooting. I have this game for 2 years i think. I hope to play with you guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom