Users who are viewing this thread

You need to assign the right sort of shaders for it (look at similar native items for reference, or simply clone/copy the settings). Also, shiny stuff usually requires a good specular map (either as a separate texture sheet or defined in the texture's alpha channel). Try opening some native specular sheets to see what they look like.

I am trying to add my own sword to the game for 1 hour, but it doesn't work. When I start the game, they say "Unable to open almansursword.brf:evil:

It was written "load_resource" instead of "load_mod_resource". Now it works, thank you EvolutiveeBrain  :smile:
sanstitre2-5612c85117.jpg
  :cool: (yes I know the blade is a little bit too long)

Hey ive followed these steps and after about three tries managed to get a sword working in game, but i want to refine and edit that sword now; is it possible to simply edit the original wings 3d file and then all the other files will update, or will i have to go through the steps again?

Edit: Also is it possible to make the item spawn in an inventory or a chest somewhere so that you dont have to run around looking for it in marketplaces?

i've followed your steps and i did as said in the tutorials...
but i was quit unsure what i was suppose to name everything so now... the texture, mesh and material is named "Cross_blade"...
everything was fine, a GREAT tutorial...and when i was going to check out my first sword... is said     

RGL ERROR   
attempt to register mesh Cross_blade

is this a common problem?
is there anything i can do to fix this?

plz help me EB=)

okay...all i did was renaming all files to cross_blade insted of Cross_blade and did the brf thing again...but now...the textures wont show up.

what shall i do almighty EvelutiveBrain??

well not exaclty=P you see... i started making wepons 3 days ago...so i'm kinda n00b=) but i'll e-mail you

Checked out the basics tutorial, very good work! By watching this new modders save precious time, since they don't have to search for documentation about this in forums. Thank you, thumbs up! :razz:

And your english is actually very fluent, if you ask me.

Nice work on the blender tutorial, would help quite a few people to get over the steep learning curve and actually discover how intuitive it is to use Blender.  There were still some things that might still appear obscure to the beginners and some stuff was a bit inaccurate but for all purposes it's quite well made.

However, I would have approached the subject of subdivisions by selecting the edges and use "w>subdivide" instead of using loopcut to avoid getting unpredictable results for when the mesh gets complicated and less symmetrical. It's a bit slower but I think it helps explain subdivisioning geometry better. After that then you can show subdivisions using loopcut once the viewer has understood subdivisioning.

There were also times you mentioned hitting certain keys but didn't explain what they actually do, but mostly they're minor and hopefully people will be able to figure it out themselves. Explaining the axis lock a bit more in depth would be immensely useful too (e.g. locking two axis via SHIFT key, etc). The 3D cursor is also very important (SHIFT-S to snap cursor/vertices to place your 3D cursor/vertices more precisely), which is arguably the most useful thing that you'll want to utilise as a number of things including scaling and rotating can be used in conjunction with it. Introducing extrude would also be a good idea if you want joined meshes if you rather not have it unjoined or having to join them manually.

P.S. I did learn a few useful hotkeys which I never knew about :razz: There's ALWAYS an easier way of doing stuff in Blender ;')

Good job on the tutorials, it's always great that someone's willing to contribute a lot of time into them.

edit: post was made when there were were only up to 3 vids on tut #4 so far. I don't know what's in the rest yet.

EvolutiveBrain said:
Thanks a lot! Yes, you are right, I myself, I'm still learning more things, even those you mentioned, I didn't know them. I tried my best to give as many tips as I was able to, as to my knowledge allowed me that is. I'll have in mind all those tips you gave me, since I can still add many tips from the Youtube editor, which will allow me to further enrich the tutorial for those who may need it. I will also add clarification points on the parts that I didn't mention/ or explained any info, cause since for the most part I took the videos from one straigh shot, I was going on, and on, without calculating how many things I was explained into details, and which ones not, hehe, but still, I had lots of fun on the process. It will take me some more time to edit and add all those tips, but I'll do it little by little.
Well, THANKS for your well appreciated comment, it motivates me big time! Au revoir!

I have problems with Blender so I'll check it out. By the way EB, where are you from? I can sense an accent in your vids.

I saw the first part and I got to say it was a good tutorial. Even though Blender is a bit more unforgiving because it doesn't have any displays showing number of edges,etc like Wings 3D, it is kinda fun to use. Only crit I can give you is I didn't understand you when you said the command for undoing.(Ctrl Z) but otherwise, very good tutorial and nice music.

Edit: Video 2 is good as well, but at 8:00, you did something that connected one vertex to the wrong vertex, making it look deformed. It got to the point where I was stopping the video and fine tuning the blade and we were doing the same thing. Also, showing them edge loop and ring(I'm familiar with it from Wings 3D so I used it) would of been good.

Edit 2: I have noticed that there isn't a cut option=/. The hand protector is called a hilt.

Edit 3: And this is the final result.
75524579.jpg

Gothic Knight said:
I saw the first part and I got to say it was a good tutorial. Even though Blender is a bit more unforgiving because it doesn't have any displays showing number of edges,etc like Wings 3D, it is kinda fun to use. Only crit I can give you is I didn't understand you when you said the command for undoing.(Ctrl Z) but otherwise, very good tutorial and nice music.

Edit: Video 2 is good as well, but at 8:00, you did something that connected one vertex to the wrong vertex, making it look deformed. It got to the point where I was stopping the video and fine tuning the blade and we were doing the same thing. Also, showing them edge loop and ring(I'm familiar with it from Wings 3D so I used it) would of been good.

Edit 2: I have noticed that there isn't a cut option=/. The hand protector is called a hilt.

Number of faces/polies (I don't know why you want to know the number of edges) can be found on the top right, along with number of verts.

What does the cut option do in wings3D? I suspect that there's something similar in Blender but called something else.

amade said:
Gothic Knight said:

Number of faces/polies (I don't know why you want to know the number of edges) can be found on the top right, along with number of verts.

What does the cut option do in wings3D? I suspect that there's something similar in Blender but called something else.

Subdivision is probably the closest thing to it. Basically it allows you to cut any edge in half without connecting it to anything.

Well if you want to to cut any edge into half you essentially create 2 new verts which will be connected to new verts.

I think it's because in wings3D it allows n-gons (polies with more than 4 edges) but in Blender n-gons aren't supported. You can subdivide an edge into two without it connecting to anything provided that the edge is not part of any face in the first place:

mesh_a1.jpg

mesh_a2.jpg

Subdivided
mesh_b1.jpg

mesh_b2.jpg

Subdivided

Even if n-gons are allowed in the end you will still have to convert them into tris or quads (which means making those "connections") in order for them to work in M&B.

Tip: You can convert tris into quads by selecting two tris and pressing Alt-J. You can convert quads into tris by selecting the quads and pressing Ctrl-T.

Actually, I'm having problems UV mapping because I don't do much texturing and because my model became deformed after being being imported from Wings 3D to Blender and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom