2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, simply if they went to the same university. So a fairly simple study with only that denominator.
Adorno said:
Calradianın Bilgesi said:
... directors are linked to winning governors gain significant advantages.
The study looked at parings between political figures and board members who graduated from the same campus and degree programme within five years of each other
So just to be clear: the study looked at social and not economic relation - the flow of money in a campaign e.g.
It's till interesting how strong the correlation is. "22% increase over three years" is almost extreme.
It's a small clique of people closely tied together socially, handing out favours to each other.

Ah, sorry about that, though would that not still be in support of folks voting for "constituents" rather than the party line?

Duh said:
Vicccard said:
more important is the influence that lobbies have on the individual congressmen and women, and senators, who, unlike in Westminster parliamentary systems, are not, to whatever degree, obliged to vote along party lines, and instead vote according to their constituents.

I'm calling bull****.
See the study that was just posted on how backing a winner will net companies economic benefits?

It also seems rather trollish to call his thoughts bull**** without going into your reasons for doing so.

That was not the bull****. The bull**** is saying that MP's under the Westminster model are obliged to vote along party lines while US congressmen are not. There are plenty of times British MP's voted against party lines and plenty of times US congressmen voted according to their party preference. The entire concept of forming a party would be entirely useless if not.

Party discipline is much weaker in US because of several reasons(political tradition, private funding of elections campaigns, less structured and hierarchical party structure, presidential system etc.). It is also weaker in UK than other parliamentary democracies because of single-member district, but it's a generally accepted fact that party discipline is much weaker in US than many parliamentary democracies.

Yes, party discipline is much weaker in majority-systems. But it is so in both the British and American systems - maybe it's weaker in the USA, but that doesn't mean it's non-existent.

Vicccard said:
That was not the bull****. The bull**** is saying that MP's under the Westminster model are obliged to vote along party lines while US congressmen are not. There are plenty of times British MP's voted against party lines and plenty of times US congressmen voted according to their party preference. The entire concept of forming a party would be entirely useless if not.

I'm not saying that Westminster-model systems have MPs voting for the party without question all the time, but I am saying, as others have said, that the significant degree of voting discipline (it comes with the concept that legislation is not an inherently bad thing, unlike the prevailing attitude in the US) has more of an influence than in the US, where party whips are basically useless compared to Westminster whips.

Mage246 said:
Explain why this is relevant, without appealing to conspiracy theories.

Laughable. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and you know that.'

Right, Goldman Sachs is donating to Clinton over Sanders because she "helped rebuild" New York after 9/11! :^)

Strange, I think as a non-American it would probably be best for the establishment to win, as it would maintain the status quo. But were I an American, I can't help but thinking Bernie/Trump would be far better options, especially if I were young/lower class/minority. The political (borderline) corruption would piss me the **** off.

But I'm an Anglo so who cares.

Status quo blows, but at least it's the same kind of **** we're used to. We'll get a populist nominee once enough people get tired of the same old ****. Populist candidates are a mixed big of crazies, though.

Because you can only put 2 youtube video's in one post,

Here's another example of corporations being very nice people:

krik, may I suggest using more of these to indicate sarcasm: :roll:

An amount similar to this may be acceptable and/or necessary:

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I support underutilized post formatting options

For Temujin's benefit: :roll:

All I see is everyone trying to burry horrible  behaviour by corporations in trivial jokes aimed at the one posting about the things that matter!

Don't talk about evil corporations!! Make fun of the individuals taking about it!

You young people are supposed to be the idealist with a heart!  Standing in the barricades I feel sorry for your generation. Kids these das believe in nothing but  your swag and money

laughing-old-man-using-laptop-computer-home-looking-screen-gesturing-30317501.jpg
That last post.

Back
Top Bottom