2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirk Robbing said:
Wheem said:
I'd rather not have the economy in worse shape than it already is, so Bernie's out (not that he'd get all of his economic agenda past Congress, even if he did get elected). $15/hour federal minimum wage alone would be a disaster.
It's not as if McDonalds and Walmart are so unprofitable they can't pay their workers.
Uh-huh, and what about that family-owned cafe at the edge of town in Bum****-Nowhere, Flyoverstate?

I'm watching an attempt to put a $15 minimum wage into place here in the greater Seattle area and it's not working. It's resulting in mass moving, mass layoffs and economic shifts. It's not really helping the poor and, if anything, it's harming them as it takes away their jobs or forcing them to move further away for lower rent or different jobs. It's also resulting in typically lower-compensated industries, like small cleaning companies, to "move" their business outside of Seattle, while still working within it, completely bypassing the entire thing.

High minimum wages are not some miracle cure, just like printing off more money isn't.

Here's the thing Mr. Fiscal Conservative. The cost is currently being taken up by someone. Guess who it is- the government. That's right, most of the people working minimum wage jobs also need welfare/food stamps to feed their families. So, perhaps, a good way to cut costs in War on Poverty programs would be to raise the minimum wage, hmm?
No, because that just causes negative economic shifts as mentioned above and inflation.

That's really ok. If people don't have to do the most ****ty jobs anymore that would be great, and it would also create higher paying engineering jobs for the people designing and maintaining the robots.
Yes, you go tell all of the people at Walmart that they're fired. It's okay, though! They're being replaced. Too bad they can't pay their bills or feed their children, but it's all in the name of progress.

I sympathize with struggling small businesses, I really do. Wouldn't it be nice if they would have a huge increase in sales once people can afford ****?
Are you for real? They'll have to raise prices to pay their new wages, ergo, the people who could afford **** before can't afford **** now. This is the most simplistic understanding of small-scale economy I've ever seen, truly worthy of a high schooler wearing a Che Guevera shirt.

I would be fine with 20 and not fine with 20000. But 20 isn't what is being discussed. 15 is being discussed. So don't bring other numbers into it, it's simply diverting the topic to those numbers rather than the 15$ being discussed. The minimum wage should be raised to 20000 when inflation reaches that high, of course, but as of now absolutely no one suggests that.
It won't take very long if people like you are voting.

For ****s sake your post is so full of stupidity.
The ironing is strong.

It keeps going and going.

Bull-****ing-****. Wages have not been related to productivity for a long time.
That little chart is both unsourced and not really evidence of anything. Causation, correlation, you know the line?

They will pay their workers as little as they can. I don't say they are evil because of that, I say that is what companies always do, and will always do, so there are three ways to raise wages in a meaningful way: (I'm not talking about an individual asking their boss for a raise)
That's because they are a business, not a charity. If you don't like it, work for a different company?

Oh **** off. If it was said that the minimum wage would only apply to businesses with over 100 employees or whatever, you would still hate it.
You never said that, for one thing, and neither has anyone else. For another, yes, it would still greatly affect them. Many companies spend very close to their profit margins, some by design, some because it's a necessity of the industry. Also, implying that 100 employees is a large company. :lol:

Let's also go deeper into that, who decides what is and is not a large company? Which industries are allowed to pay less and which aren't?

No, my point wasn't that shareholders wouldn't take a hit. My point was that it's ok for shareholders to take a hit, the economy won't crash because a few stocks went down 5%.
Uh, wow, I find this hard to believe from anyone who has lived in the United States for the last 15 years. Then again, you were eating dirt for a good portion of that, so maybe that explains it.

Never said they were evil, I said the minimum wage should be raised.
Here's a question: Why? Why should the minimum wage be raised federally? Why should someone who pays $250 a month for a house in a backwoods town be paid equally to someone who pays $2000 a month for a studio apartment in a large city? What is so broken about the economy that a raise is required at all?

If a few jobs are lost and everyone else is getting paid their fair share that's great. Minimum wage jobs are pretty easy to come by and raising it to 15 won't change that, the people can find new jobs especially because businesses get more sales.
Yeah, tell that to the people you just took jobs from. Also, yes it will, you moron. There are real-life examples right now of companies laying people off in droves due to minimum wage increases, some out of desire for higher profits, some out of pure necessity to stay afloat.

But if everyone who before had very little spending money suddenly had some spending money, then that would increase revenue for many businesses.
No, it wouldn't, because all of those companies would raise the prices of their products, the rent will increase, property values will increase and all of that extra money people have will be used to pay the extra prices. Giving everyone in the United States a million dollars tomorrow wouldn't not make everyone in the United States wealthy. This is a concept you'll probably learn about once you graduate high school or go to college.

You are so full of **** if you think a 20,000 an hour minimum wage is at all comparable to a 15/hour min wage.
It's an analogy. They'll teach you about those in English class at some point.

American money should grow the American economy, not China's, not Turkey's. That doesn't mean we can't buy **** from China or Turkey though. Just means we should a) decrease sales taxes on American goods and b) create more tariffs on foreign goods. This will also help with the deficit. I suppose you could call me a hypocrite for buying this game and not sending a check to the US government for 5$, but that would be pretty stupid.
You want to keep American money in America, and also make labor insanely expensive? What a ****ing joke. Also, America already has pretty abysmal foreign relations, can we destroy them further by having an aggressively protectionist foreign trade policy?

Alright, I can't be bothered to follow this anymore, dude just has no idea.

Also I decided to take that little quiz, unsurprisingly I'm mid-line with basically everyone, thankfully not Trump.

****ing Hillary got the most though, jesus christ.

Rand Paul for Domestic Policy. Sounds about right.
Marco Rubio for Economic Policy, and Immigration Policy. No idea if this is a good thing.
Hillary Clinton for Social Issues, Healthcare and Education. Unsurprising but unfortunate.
Ted Cruz on Foreign Policy. Oh god.
John Kasich on the Enviroment. Literally ****ing who?

Haha, I took a look at the Party side of it, mid-line on all of the Independent Parties I've never ****ing heard of and very against the Democratic and Republican parties. Typical.

I got like 29% Trump so I think he's so populist and uncommitted to any particular issue that it's inevitable you'll align with him. In other words, hold the noose for another day.

AWdeV ninja'd me and I have to say, it's not a bad idea.

I don't find anything too far-fetched in the theory that Trump's just in it to try and skim some campaign funds through loopholes or something before bailing out with some really crazy antics later in the race.

Amontadillo said:
irt "If people don't have to do the most ****ty jobs anymore that would be great, and it would also create higher paying engineering jobs for the people designing and maintaining the robots."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

I yearn for this day...

Always stark how vacuum cleaners, washing machines and dishwashers and universally seen as good things.

While self-service checkouts and other technology that replaces jobs get a mixed or negative response.

Under a system with universal basic income, where you don't have to earn your keep through labour, technology in the formal economy could be as universally lauded as it is in the informal economy. All these forms of technology free humans from mind-numbing drudgery.

But I think it will be a long time before the majority of people understand that humans aren't becoming wilfully unemployed, genetically feckless, lazy scroungers - rather, technology is freeing people from all kinds of drudgery. What happens to all those people who would have traditionally been farmhands, miners, factory workers, drivers etc. When they worked, they were seen as the salt of the earth, now they can't...
we consign them to the scrapheap of unemployment figures and allow right-wing politicians to denigrate them...

I want the ghost of JFK to run for president. :lol:

Although, I gotta say, Jim Webb impressed me quite a bit when he said that we need to stop the culture war.

Jim Webb seems nice but has no chance, oh and **** Sanders, he's realized he needed to imitate Hillary to catch up and went full SJW and gun-grabber over the last week or two.

Even with Webb, I'm just waiting to learn something that I missed about him.

Back
Top Bottom