2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Untitled. said:
I don't know, Finnish politics aren't much better, and they omit all the humor out of it.

I don't know, is that supposed to rile me up or make me look like a hypocrite? I completely agree with you. I hate Finnish politics. We elected a mother****ing fundamentalist Christian businessman as PM and now everybody hates him because surprise surprise, he can't actually run a country. He's also threatening freedom of the press constantly and essentially forcing the state-funded press channels to stay quiet about his bad sides via power of his office. Trust me I have nothing good to say about the current politics in here.

That being said I don't see what humor there should be in politics. Politics is about the governance of millions of people as fairly and beneficially as possible, it's not something that should be approached from a standpoint which considers lack of humor a loss.

You've been pretty backwater since June. Get with the times.

Das Knecht said:
I don't know, is that supposed to rile me up or make me look like a hypocrite?
Nah, I was just stating my opinion since I am Finnish as well.

Das Knecht said:
We elected a mother****ing fundamentalist Christian businessman as PM and now everybody hates him because surprise surprise, he can't actually run a country.
But he's the only good guy. :lol: I mean, fat guy calling out hypocritical politicians is great, even if he too is a crook and about as competent as any of the other guys.
Pretty sure he also leaves religion mostly out of his political standpoints, which is actually a fairly good trait for a serious politician in a secular country.

Das Knecht said:
That being said I don't see what humor there should be in politics. Politics is about the governance of millions of people as fairly and beneficially as possible, it's not something that should be approached from a standpoint which considers lack of humor a loss.
I would agree with you if we had a different kind of democracy. I can't take Finnish politics seriously either way, so I get more enjoyment/happiness out of it if I can laugh at it.

Das Knecht said:
Also, since you're so concerned with a "strong leader", how does this square with your conception of your Johnson? @Tibertus

Personally, I think that's ****ing hilarious. But I didn't vote for Johnson really. There was a real chance to get the libertarian party some federal funding next election cycle. Personally, I think they need to be getting people to run for Governor, Senate, and the House to start building legitimacy. But fundamentally, I do side more with Libertarian views than I do with Republican or Democrat.

Mage246 said:
Tibertus said:
I didn't like him much prior to being president elect. He has since grown on me. I actually think he's matured a bit since the election, and I strongly agree with his pick of Mattis for SECDEF, and his appointment of Ben Carson to HUD secretary, not a huge fan of his other cabinet picks, but those two guys are honest, good men.

However, I despise Hillary far more than I ever hated Trump. I know it is not seen as a huge problem the way she handled classified material to many people, but to someone in the military, her blatant disregard for classified information and its handling just blows my mind. People have had their careers destroyed for doing 1% of what she did. Beyond that, she just does not have a good reputation with the military. I've worked with guys wearing T-shirts saying "Hillary Killed My Friends". They personally knew the two contractors and prior Navy SEALS who were killed at Benghazi. Her handling of the whole situation was not good and entirely political. And instead of owning up that the situation was not handled properly, she laid blame on others and refused to accept responsibility, which is a huge no-no in the military. It is a definite sign of a weak leader.

Personally, I voted for Johnson. I am still a resident of NM, where he had his strongest following. I thought my vote had a remote possibility of getting him the state of NM and shake things up for the next election. But it didn't matter. Hillary was going to win that state no matter what.

Dude, Trump doesn't even read the daily Presidential briefings.

Dude, Trump is better than Hillary, however, I still didn't even vote for the ****ing dude. He's going to be the next president, and I think he is showing better characteristics now than he did during the campaign season is all I was getting at. Hillary, on the other hand, is a ****ing weasel, and there's nothing people can say to change my opinion of her. Again, it's a military thing in the US; maybe I've bought into the culture, but she is the antithesis of everything I hold as important.

Untitled. said:
And I'm not sure how black & white the YLE issue is. I don't mean to defend him, but YLE is a pretty corrupt organization.

You've got to be ****ting me. YLE is what you call a "pretty corrupt organization"? What, going by the fact that its de facto leader will do anything to keep YLE's funding from the government? Baseless allegations like that won't even tarnish the surface of YLE.

Comrade Temuzu said:
And nothing of value would be lost. Why do we have to pay taxes to fund YLE if their programs are 99% ****?

If you consider them to be nothing of value then you've either got a very skewed and cynical view of media in general (more likely) or you think genuinely believe that most of modern society is *also* "nothing of value". Free press represents many of the values we hold dear in a free democracy.

YLE, despite officially being non-political, is a pretty big propaganda machine for touting different state interests, which should be obvious to pretty much anyone. You honestly sound a little bit like a fanboy in that last post. But I admit I might be biased because I have friends and relatives who (have) work(ed) for YLE and aren't great fans of the organization either.

Úlfheðinn said:
I still maintain the Rock was the best person for the job.

With John Cena as VP, America would truly have been great again.
Incorrect. Hulk Hogan should have been President, with Macho Man Randy Savage as VP. Cena would make a wonderful Secretary of Defense though.

Back
Top Bottom