2-Handed Mace

Users who are viewing this thread

So I finally unlocked the ability to make the Two Handed Mace. I was ready to crush some skulls.. Until I made it.. The blunt damage is just bad ( in the 50's on blunt damage). I would expect it to be on par with other two handers or better yet hit like a billhook. Any thoughts?

Do you actually tried to crush some skulls with it? Must be pretty effective against armored targets.

For how hard it is to unlock the parts, its very underwhelming.

There's another wooden mallet head in the 2H Polearm group which is much better. It can do something like 110 Blunt with the right shaft, but good luck unlocking it.

It's all about the 2 handed axe for me. Multiple hits in a single swing, think I've managed 3 kills in a single swing before Might not smash armour as well, but it's usually powerful enough for a one shot kill on most enemies anyway.

It is a little annoying however to have so many things to unlock and not really much of a chance to hit the things you want to actually do. I don't give a fudge about almost any of the 1 handed swords, but there's a million bits for the damn things.

Yeah I'm also a fan of the 2 handed axe, however I'd like to give the mace a crack.

I figured you'd be able to knock enemies down which would be cool. I also thought it may have a chance to crush through blocks, that was something else I wanted to test out.

It is a little annoying however to have so many things to unlock and not really much of a chance to hit the things you want to actually do. I don't give a fudge about almost any of the 1 handed swords, but there's a million bits for the damn things.

Yeah, Smithing is so bloated with RNG that it feels really annoying to do anything.

Focusing it on only learning pieces that are related to what you are smelting/crafting would be a nice way to keep the variety, but reduce the RNG.

Anyone remember in MB:WB where the two handed heavy morningstar was a bloody gore fest on the castle rampart walls? Was hoping to have something similar in MB:BL. Two handed mace is pointless on foot -- and not much better on horseback. One handed maces are even more pointless. Once this game is "finished" in development, I think one of the first good mods I'll be working on is overhauling smithing and the effect of maces.

I think part of the reason blunt and pierce damage is so (edited from overwhelming lol) UNDERwhelming is that cut damage is just so high. It doesn't really matter that pierce damage increases the best with the speed bonus or that armor is least effective at blocking blunt damage because most weapons that deal cut damage just deal so MUCH cut damage.

Couple this with the fact that every single weapon swings in an arc of over 180 degrees, dealing max or near max damage in the vast majority of that arc, and you'll find that cut damage ruins the gameplay of certain weapons being situationally better than others. Even if pierce damage was on par with cut damage (compared to currently being very underwhelming) it is already much harder to land a hit. The two together mean I rarely thrust a sword unless a swing might hit a wall or an ally.

Imo, right now the main variable that makes some weapons better than others is simply the damage value. Especially in MP, the balance between swing speed and length is made less important by the fact a person can run away from an opponent, start swinging, spin around for an almost guaranteed hit since the swing is so wide, and keep spinning in the same direction to continue running away. If that wasn't as easy then the balance between length and swing speed (and handling) would be more important, possibly even more important than the absolute damage value.

But because cut damage tends to be at an absolute value so much higher than blunt or pierce, it is my experience that damage type is often overshadowed by the damage value alone or the bonus against shields perk that comes with axes.

Last edited:
There's another wooden mallet head in the 2H Polearm group which is much better. It can do something like 110 Blunt with the right shaft, but good luck unlocking it.
Dang. I looked all through the smithing screen for that same 2H polearm mallet head and I couldn't find it again. Either it was removed in 1.4.2, or some mod added it, though I don't have any equipment mods so no idea where it could've came from. Either way, its not there now, so sorry for the bad tip

Back
Top Bottom