1257 AD Middle Europe

Users who are viewing this thread

So how's the WB release going along?

Anyway, here's a WIP screen of the map, I started rebuidling it, this is the third time I'm making the same map,  I hope I get it right this time.

mapwip.jpg

I'm finished with the geographic part of the map, now I want to place the settlements too. I made a sketch of the political map with the factions that are to be included. This will be useful when placing cities, castles and villages. But I want to be sure I drew the borders right, so I really need feedback. Please make suggestions if you think something needs to be corrected.

Anyone with good knowledge of history can chip in, and remember that the map is for 1257. The borders of the playable map are red, disputed territories (such as Styria and Austria) are outlined. The factions will be: Holy Roman Empire (gold), Kingdom of Poland (green), Kingdom of Bohemia (purple), Kingdom of Hungary (red), Galicia–Volhynia (turquoise), Grand Duchy of Lithuania (black), Teutonic Order (white).

I'm not sure about Silesia, couldn't find good sources/maps of the political situation of 1257, so I included it in the HRE, but I'm open to advice.

And I don't know if the HRE should be a single faction, from what I've read there were heavy disputes over the throne in this period, the principalities and duchies were divided as the Hohenstaufen dynasty has died out. It is possible to divide the empire from start, or the players can choose to support the throne claimant and recreate the situation  themselves.

politmap.jpg

Germany would be a superpower on this map. The eastern half of Germany would be enough for a better gameplay.
Silezia was under Polish control on my map.
Galicia–Volhynia was under Mongol. And anyway they will be weak with such a little territory.
The 'Grand Duchy' title is quite ironic for a little country like Lithuania.  :grin:

Actually, it's not quite ironic mate, since they weren't a little country  :wink:
http://www.thefullwiki.org/History_of_Lithuania_(1219%E2%80%931295)

So all I need now is research and I can finish the map. I would propose the following number of settlements:

Holy Roman Empire - 20 cities, 30 castles + villages
Kingdom of Poland - 8 cities, 18 castles + villages
Kingdom of Bohemia - 3 cities, 10 castles  +villages
Teutonic Order - 1 city, 6 castles + villages
Grand Duchy of Lithuania - 2 cities, 5 castles + villages
Galicia-Volhynia - 3 cities, 7 castles + villages
Kingdom of Hungary - already have the research

Oh god...... Geographicaly you have right with this hughe number of cities for HRE and Hungary, but this is absolute nonsens from real history. HRE was in crisiss - (Interregnum - weak kings). HRE was broken into numberless small and weak duchies, Polish kingdom don´t exist (practically the same situation as in HRE - lots of small independent duchies). Strongest faction was in Middle Europe Kingdom of Bohemia(Ally of HRE, Kings Richard of Cornwal and Přemysl Otakar II. was friends) maybe Hungary (But in 1260 Přemysl Otakar II. crush hungarian forces of king Bela IV. in battle of Kressenbrun)..... How you want ballance power? Last release, which we create was derisively called "GREAT HUNGARY MOD".......

Non hungarian players.... I read this term "GREAT HUNGARY MOD" in one recension of our mod. :grin: But this is not important. Important thing is how create historicaly accurate mod, good balanced and playable for all faction. Better way will be separate poland and HRE into several smaller factions. For Poland 1) Ksiaztwo Krakowskie (capital Krakow, second city Sandomierz), 2)Ksiastwo Slaskie (Wroclaw - capitol, Raciborz, Glogow, Cieszyn castles), 3) Ksianstwo Wielkopolskie (Poznan - Capitol, Gniezno, Innowroclaw castle) 4) Ksiaztwo Mazowieckie (capital Plock, Czersk, Lomza castles) etc. And the same way HRE.

Hey, my sugestion into HRE factions: 1) The Duchy of Swabia (Augsburg, Strassburg, Zurich), 2) The Duchy of Bavaria (Nurnberg, Passau, Insbruck), 3) The Duchy of Saxony (Magdeburg, Munster, Hamburg), 4) The Duchy of Pomerania (Stettin, Lubeck, Rostock), 5) Duchy of Franconia (Frankfurt, Mainz, Wurzburg), 6) Duchy of Lower Lorraine (Koln, Antverpen - or only Koln, leader archbishop - if Antverpen are out of range), 7) Duchy of Upper Lorraine (Trier, Metz -Leader archbishop of trier). In my opinion are more realistic create this smaller factions in place of HUGE UNREALISTIC CONSOLS HRE FACTION. So, I suggerst create 7 new HRE faction and 4 Polish. I know, that is more hard to coding work, but effect are much close to reality.

Back
Top Bottom