1 step closer to phalanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Mirathei's formation script

1stepc.jpg

I reckon it will be real sick with full length sarissa

Predak said:
That's sweet, man! How'd you do that?

it's Mirathei's formation script.

its basically a column formation, and with the troops in defensive stance, the spears are angled, making it look deceptively like the first couple of rows of a phalanx.

I'm impressed. You're definitely getting closer. If that's just Mirathei's script, too... wow. All that needs to be done is to have them standing in line formation, tight ranks, and have the spears in an organized phalanx. Although I have no clue how difficult that'll be in relation to scripting. Anyway, keep up the good work, and good luck. I look forward to this. The Carthaginian cavalry won't stand a chance once my Greek hoplites are able to use this.

if that's Mirathei's script, they don't move, right? I think even that should be possible with 0.903 module system...

Very interesting.
Maybe it is not that importat that this fomation is not phalanx. I think the key is that it is deep formation.

Rongar said:
Very interesting.
Maybe it is not that importat that this fomation is not phalanx. I think the key is that it is deep formation.

yeah playiing with it (or against it i should say), Its rather devastating to anything that gets close to it.

looks nice. So is it only stationary? could you make it that you can add/lose rows by pressing a button?

Merlkir said:
looks nice. So is it only stationary? could you make it that you can add/lose rows by pressing a button?

well right now I have it set up to where you activate the formation by pressing "U". The units make the formation where you are standing. They are in fact stationary in that formation but technically you can move them as a group by moving to the desired location and repressing the formation button. They will move as a tight pack, but its not a tidy formation. still there are advantages to it.

I've set the dissolve formation key to "Y" which is essential because if you dont dissolve it, the troops will not respond to any other commands.

thinking about it im sure theres a whole slew of combinations though. Once formation is dissolved, the troops default back to thier original commands, such as charge, hold position etc. So you could order your troops to your position, use the native "hold position", and then release the formation button and they may remain in the box formation, so that you can move it piece mail via the ten paces command, or order a charge and they will relatively hold some semblence of that formation while on the move.

more than likely though they'll probably default to a line. i'll check it out.

what is confirmed though Is that I can have several formations though  :grin:

i need to find a way to differentiate the unit classes though, as all unit types  cav/inf/archers jump in on the formation.

I wonder if Highlander would release his moving formation script...it even works with cavalry..

The stationary formations will probably work fine. It would be nice if the enemy romans approached you in formation or if the phalangites moved in the actual square...

TITANAS84 said:
i hope change lenght of sarissa.

Yes, ealabor is already working on it. Progress has been made, and he's posted pictures in... suggestions, I think. I'll check.

EDIT: Yeah, it's in the "Sarissa Anyone" topic made by ealabor himself. Very nice pictures. GO check them out.

Merlkir said:
I wonder if Highlander would release his moving formation script...it even works with cavalry..
I don't remember having made any moving formations. You must have ment someone else.

Back
Top Bottom