1 Handed sword suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spook-knight

Hey       
lately i keep selling and buying new swords Can you please suggest a sword for me to stick with? Thanks PS:grin:oesn't matter if its a sword or not i need a 1 hand!  :grin: :smile:

Spook-knight said:
Hey       
lately i keep selling and buying new swords Can you please suggest a sword for me to stick with? Thanks PS:grin:oesn't matter if its a sword or not i need a 1 hand!  :grin: :smile:

Err, try them out and pick the one you like?

I find myself favouring the Fighting Pick, if memory servers. 27 piercing damage, not nearly as high as the best 1 handed swords/axes have, but piercing damage penetrates armour better than cutting, so I've found that fighting top tier troops with it is actually much easier than with, say, a Masterwork Arming Sword. Also, much more affordable.

I know some people don't like them with shields, but I always go for the heavy bastard sword.

It has nice damage, speed, it's got a good reach, and if your shield gets destroyed it becomes a 2-hander and deals even more damage. The reach is important to me because it makes fighting on horseback much easier.

You don't even need to put any points into the 2-handed weapon skill, so long as you take part in the tournaments. You'll get enough skill raises from fighting with 2-handers in the tournaments to be able to handle the few times your shield breaks.

The pickaxe-y types are pretty good. They're not what OP is asking for though. He wants swords! Take a falchion, falchions are awesome! Not as fancy-pantsy as an arming sword, but chopping is goood.

If I'm on foot I always use Battle axes they are strong, they don't have much reach but I think it doesn't matther on foot. And if I'm on a horseback I use a Bastard sword just like Cyrus cause of the reach and of course the damage.

i am on a trip right now once i get back to my PC i'll try all you're suggestions PS: i suck without a shield.

Bastard sword is my favorite, but, eventhough it deals good damage and has long reach, I found it isn't quite effective, at least with one hand. Actually, that goes for all 1h-swords. And eventhough they're not my preferred weapons, military picks are great, and morningstars, although slow, are better. You just can't beat that piercing damage. Sure, leather type armor (and possibly mail?) is more resistant to them, but that kind of armor is usually wore by weak troops, like archers, who still take massive damage from the blows.
I've started quite a few characters using swords, and inevitably ended up using picks.
I'm still thinking about turning back to my dear bastard. But two handed this time.

mundilfaeri said:
--And eventhough they're not my preferred weapons, military picks are great, and morningstars, although slow, are better. You just can't beat that piercing damage. Sure, leather type armor (and possibly mail?) is more resistant to them--

More resistant? Not exactly. Less armour, more damage gets through. I assume you meant that against lowly armoured troops cutting damage is generally better? Which it is. But it is incorrect to say that leather and mail are more resistant against piercing damage.

It's just something I read somewhere here in the forum (regarding leather armor; mail was just a guess). If that's not the case, then piercing weapons are all the more better, since they cancel any type of armor. Don't know if they cancel it completely, but whatever reduction the give is sufficient to compensate for the slightly less damage they inflict. I constantly get 1-hit kills with morningstars. Not so much with 1-handed bastard swords. The difference is significant.

Well I can't be really sure myself, but it would stand to reason that piercing damage goes through low armour just as well as high armour.

True. Even more so, since something that can penetrate steel would find leather to be considerably less resistant. Plus, if we want to get knitpicky, heavy armor was used with some kind of padding underneath, so you still have that protection.
I suppose (if what I read about leather's resistance in the game is true) it would be a balancing thing.

Back
Top Bottom