1 handed or 2 handed. That is the question....

Users who are viewing this thread

well two handed weapon are good because of their range (mostly) rather than their damage, in native i always used heavy great long axe, and it was good, in pop u will be killed before u can swing it (at least i will be killed.)

It's good to keep a 2handed weapon with some reach handy for sieges, be it defense or offense. If you can get yourself either behind or on the sides of the enemy blob that advances or defends, you can somewhat safely hack away at them, the AI soldiers won't actively chase you if you 1hit kill each you attack, they'll just keep zerging. Easy kills.

On attack, if I don't want to shoot nearly all of them dead, I'll grab a shield and rush first on the ladder and try to reach the side which has less enemies, usually the side from which the enemy reinforcements aren't coming. Once you get on the battlements it's almost homefree, run to a tower or a level down or just make some distance and the enemies won't give chase, but instead keep focusing on the ladder. Kill the archers on your side, then go at the ladder and carve a path for your infantry to enter.

Donkerman said:
I prefer using a shield to keep arrow out of my face as opposed to dodging them, so I almost always use a one handed sword. But in order to add the option of using a weapon 2 handed I use swords in the bastard sword category. My favourite weapon is the runed bastard dropped by heretic mobs or purchased from quigfen.

I tried to dodge an arrow but ended up going to the arrow, BAM, head shot. 

omegaweapon said:
well two handed weapon are good because of their range (mostly) rather than their damage, in native i always used heavy great long axe, and it was good, in pop u will be killed before u can swing it (at least i will be killed.)

Yes, a heavy great long axe is the only 2 handed I would bother to use while mounted, as it has a very good reach and its damage (even after penalties) is not that different from a decent one handed weapon, but I guess (and you confirmed) that it´s too slow

Great stuff guys, lots of awesome ideas. If people wish to discuss bows etc thats cool as it sort of comes into this.

I'm trying a bow character at the minute. Starting out is interesting....I got owned by some lord and he stole my shoes, tramp... :razz:

Hopefully with time i'll get better :grin:

Its great to hear everyones different playstyles and ideas etc :smile:

Depends, you can play as foot soldier or mounted.
Foot soldier....never done that because you need 10 speed but it's the most efficient way to level up and kill a lot of soldiers.Also short weapons are great if your skills are high.
If you play as a 1 hander give crossbows to your companions to suport, if 2 hander give shields to cover behind them, berzerker style:grin: I like the elite ops i do with my companions, sometimes behind enemy lines.

The ruby rune greatsword is too good not to use. The damage penalty on horseback doesn't master because it does so much piercing damage. The long reach is really helpful too.

Empiro said:
The ruby rune greatsword is too good not to use. The damage penalty on horseback doesn't master because it does so much piercing damage. The long reach is really helpful too.

Damage done by the 2 handed Ruby Rune Sword on horseback: 49p (35% of 75p) swinging, 30p (35% of 46P) thrusting. Speed 95. Reach 158

Damage done by Ruby Rune Axe on horseback: 65p swinging, 20p thrusting. Speed 95. Reach 98.

So, a Ruby Rune Axe deals considerably more damage (16 more, to be exact) on horseback than a 2 handed ruby rune sword, although the 2 H sword has more reach. On top of that, you can use a shield, which will save your life several times.

PS. Basically all this makes a difference when fighting elite level troops (lower than that you are going to kill them with a single blow). You can kill elite troops probably with a single blow (with the ruby rune axe) or probably with two blows (with the 2 H ruby rune sword).

An axe deals bonus damage to shields. Useful in sieges. I remember breaking a huscarl's shield in two hits, when I used to use rune weapons.

No idea said:
Empiro said:

Damage done by the 2 handed Ruby Rune Sword on horseback: 49p (35% of 75p) swinging, 30p (35% of 46P) thrusting. Speed 95. Reach 158

Damage done by Ruby Rune Axe on horseback: 65p swinging, 20p thrusting. Speed 95. Reach 98.

So, a Ruby Rune Axe deals considerably more damage (16 more, to be exact) on horseback than a 2 handed ruby rune sword, although the 2 H sword has more reach. On top of that, you can use a shield, which will save your life several times.

PS. Basically all this makes a difference when fighting elite level troops (lower than that you are going to kill them with a single blow). You can kill elite troops probably with a single blow (with the ruby rune axe) or probably with two blows (with the 2 H ruby rune sword).

That's true, but on horse, I've found that reach makes it much easier to hit, especially if your opponent is also on horseback. Like I said, I never found damage to be a big issue, as even elite soldiers usually go down in one hit. The reach is what really makes the difference.

So far my favorite weapons that I've tried are:

1. Saphire Rune Glaive - If you're not big on the polearm stabbing animation on horseback this might not be for you, but I consider this the best weapon in the game for open battle, although simultaneously having too much reach for sieges. You will absolutely crush anything in your path with this thing, mounted or unmounted, but using it on horseback takes a bit of getting used to.

2. Ruby Rune axe - GREAT for sieges because of low reach, best 1h dmg in the game and does extra damage to shields. Get yourself a nice Reinforced Noldor Enchanted Shield to go with it and you're a force to be reckoned with.

3. Saphire 2-Handed sword - This one's also up there with the Glaive in terms of badassery, although similarly to the Glaive you need to keep in mind that weapons do their max damage at max range, so learning the reach of your weapons is very important. I like to equip a bow and then have a shield on my back when I use this beast. Significantly reduces my chances of getting pew pew'd by them pesky archers.

Look like I am the only fan of Ancient rune axe. 56 cutting damage, no trust(easy to use for me)  extremely big and look cool when use it on horseback.

eh it dose not have thrust? it's my favorite then, i always have problem with using weapon that have thrust :S

warakornmk said:
Look like I am the only fan of Ancient rune axe. 56 cutting damage, no trust(easy to use for me)  extremely big and look cool when use it on horseback.
more like only lucky one who found it. over 700 days in my game and havent seen it yet.

warakornmk said:
I've seen this mentioned in the forums a few times now but have yet to see one appear in game. On the other hand,
I've been

lucky enough to get: Lordly Noldor Ancient Rune Armor, Masterwork Runed Bastard Sword, and a Champion Noldor Spirit Horse all from the

Noldor tournament.
So I definitely don't consider myself unlucky in my current game.

Crosby 4HyG said:
warakornmk said:
I've seen this mentioned in the forums a few times now but have yet to see one appear in game. On the other hand,
I've been

lucky enough to get: Lordly Noldor Ancient Rune Armor, Masterwork Runed Bastard Sword, and a Champion Noldor Spirit Horse all from the

Noldor tournament.
Whereas I did 3 tournaments (just started) and best thing i got was fine noldor runesword. Got boots and helm too. lol.

The_Hound said:
warakornmk said:
more like only lucky one who found it. over 700 days in my game and havent seen it yet.
I found two in shops 100 days in.  :lol:
I gave them to my companions. My companions are armed with Noldor weapons like Balanced Nolder Long Sword, Runed Bastard Swords, etc.
I am not sure what drops the ancient rune axes though. I remember seeing units use them but i forgot which units.

Crosby 4HyG said:
warakornmk said:
I've been

Noldor tournament.
Dang.  :shock:

Back
Top Bottom