Need More Info 1.0.3-1.0.4 Patch performance disaster! (stutterings)

Users who are viewing this thread

JkAntZen

Recruit
With the launch of the game the performance was almost perfect. Except some massive sedge battle and rare FPS drops, it was very comfortable to play.
After patch 1.0.3 it started to stutter. After performance fixer 1.0.4 patch it become completely unplayable. It is not FPS drops, it is exactly stuttering. Some times screen can just freeze for like 5-10 secs and then unfreeze. It feels like I run game on HDD instead of SSD. In the same exactly scene I can have 90 FPS for 20 secs and then it start to stutter like hell until the point when it freezes for 5-10 secs.

The sad is that it was almost perfect on the launch. I really like the game and can't play it now completely!

Computer specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - 4 GB memory
The game is installed on SSD

Last edited:
The patch almost solved my stuttering problem but it is not solved yet. I still have stuttering in single player. They need to work on that RAM leakage problem a little bit more.

I just tried to launch the game with 1.0.2 patch and it runs smooth and comfortable. Unfortunately I can't use my save files on that version. It crashes. And I spend 33 hours progress in it, don't really wanna lose it. But I'm 100% sure now that this is 1.0.3-1.0.4 patches fault.

While performance is fine for me I have noticed a slightly different problem with the new versions. I have the game installed on two nearly identical machines, the main difference is the CPU. One is an old i5 the other is a Ryzen 5. With the i5 performance is okay but not great, understandable. With the Ryzen performance is great up until it legit makes the machine shut down. After some driver updates today the issue still persists, in fact it got so bad I had to reconnect every cable on the mobo to fix it. Other graphically intensive games work fine and I have also performed a torture test with no errors.

With the launch of the game the performance was almost perfect. Except some massive sedge battle and rare FPS drops, it was very comfortable to play.
After patch 1.0.3 it started to stutter. After performance fixer 1.0.4 patch it become completely unplayable. It is not FPS drops, it is exactly stuttering. Some times screen can just freeze for like 5-10 secs and then unfreeze. It feels like I run game on HDD instead of SSD. In the same exactly scene I can have 90 FPS for 20 secs and then it start to stutter like hell until the point when it freezes for 5-10 secs.

The sad is that it was almost perfect on the launch. I really like the game and can't play it now completely!

Computer specs:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Side note: on many discussion on this forum people appears to think that games are loading on the fly stuff on hard drive and that would be directly shown on the game and impact FPS.

"It feels like I run game on HDD instead of SSD". Yeah but no. Only everything is wrong about how the game is coded, hard drive cannot be bottleneck on most of the case.

FPS are direct consequence of the RAM, GPU and CPU. Textures are loaded in memory for instance. And the performance settings of the games regarding textures are exactly there so you do not exceed your RAM (whether video card or main memory).

If your computer is actually using your hard disk for anything relevant to your game (beside loading maps, load and saving saves), it means that you do not have enough RAM installed (in which case the hard disk "buffer"/swap is being used due to lack of memory, which is bad by definition, even if it less dramatic with SSD) or you configured the game to use more RAM that you have.

Please this bullcrap with SSD. SSD is clearly a cool thing, though it is purpose is not to increase the capacity of a computer to draw things fast on a screen.

Side note: on many discussion on this forum people appears to think that games are loading on the fly stuff on hard drive and that would be directly shown on the game and impact FPS.

"It feels like I run game on HDD instead of SSD". Yeah but no. Only everything is wrong about how the game is coded, hard drive cannot be bottleneck on most of the case.

FPS are direct consequence of the RAM, GPU and CPU. Textures are loaded in memory for instance. And the performance settings of the games regarding textures are exactly there so you do not exceed your RAM (whether video card or main memory).

If your computer is actually using your hard disk for anything relevant to your game (beside loading maps, load and saving saves), it means that you do not have enough RAM installed (in which case the hard disk "buffer"/swap is being used due to lack of memory, which is bad by definition, even if it less dramatic with SSD) or you configured the game to use more RAM that you have.

Please this bullcrap with SSD. SSD is clearly a cool thing, though it is purpose is not to increase the capacity of a computer to draw things fast on a screen.

Hello! I put this as an example just because literally two weeks ago I was playing Black Mesa game. And during install I wrongly picked my HDD drive in stead of usually SSD, and I had exactly same impact on game that I'm expiring now in Bannerlord. It was stable FPS but stutters every time it has to download new textures. HDD was exactly bottleneck issue in that case. It gone after I reinstalled on SSD.

If I'm correct, PC can't put the whole game into your RAM, so eventually it has to extract new texture from the game files on SSD and put it into your RAM. If it doesn't do this quick enough, you can even have 32 GB RAM, it won't change a case. I had this exact issue with Total War series and Paradox games, until I bought SSD. If the algorithm to load new textures into you RAM from Drive will be coded purely and unoptimized, your Drive will be the bottleneck to give you a good performance. After the purchase I have never had those issue again.

In my experience in 90% of the cases SSD literally "increase the capacity of a computer to draw things fast on a screen". Like exact opposite of your critics.

Anyway I have never said that it was an issue in Bannerlord, I just had a good recent example from my own experience so I thought it could display the issue more clear.

TLDR: SSD is much slower than RAM (latency, etc) because it has another purpose (saving data over reboot!). If a game depends on SSD to produce frames per second (not talking about loading area/saves times), either it means that the computer lacks memory or the code is utter crap.

----

Well, if it is the case, then it only means that the code is utter crap. Loading textures is not something unexpected and you are not like to have more than 16 or 32 GB of textures, which is a common memory amount. And putting the game setting in low quality textures would stop any stuttering if it was related (hint: performance settings regarding textures relates to GPU RAM, not even to main RAM).
The problem with Bannerlord is not FPS drop when it has to load new textures ; it is constant stuttering, even though when you can expect any textures to be loaded.

Obviously, if you have 4GB or RAM, that might be different. But, then, SSD is not the first thing to change in order.

In any case, if your configuration means that you are relying on your hard disk to get textures, it means that it's wrongly configured: you are using your hard disk as RAM. The fact that SSD now are similar (but slower) to RAM in speed/bandwidth does not mean that it should be so.
So either 90% of the game you are playing are coded like utter crap (not even bothering preloading textures before showing them on your face - but unlikely to be the case with M&B and its loading sequences everytime you speak to someone) or your setup is not consistent.

In any case, my point was: check your windows performance info (easily accessible from task manager) and it'll give you a clear idea of the bottleneck.
As far I can tell concerning Bannerlord, the CPU is always the one mostly used and at 100% usage when FPS drops.

The game appears to be really gorging on RAM. The campaign was bringing my computer entirely on its knees just trying to quit to the main menu from the game. Until I bought more RAM, doubling it to 16. Now it's running fine. According to task manager memory usage is at 9ish gb when running the game.

TLDR: SSD is much slower than RAM (latency, etc) because it has another purpose (saving data over reboot!). If a game depends on SSD to produce frames per second (not talking about loading area/saves times), either it means that the computer lacks memory or the code is utter crap.

----

Well, if it is the case, then it only means that the code is utter crap. Loading textures is not something unexpected and you are not like to have more than 16 or 32 GB of textures, which is a common memory amount. And putting the game setting in low quality textures would stop any stuttering if it was related (hint: performance settings regarding textures relates to GPU RAM, not even to main RAM).
The problem with Bannerlord is not FPS drop when it has to load new textures ; it is constant stuttering, even though when you can expect any textures to be loaded.

Obviously, if you have 4GB or RAM, that might be different. But, then, SSD is not the first thing to change in order.

In any case, if your configuration means that you are relying on your hard disk to get textures, it means that it's wrongly configured: you are using your hard disk as RAM. The fact that SSD now are similar (but slower) to RAM in speed/bandwidth does not mean that it should be so.
So either 90% of the game you are playing are coded like utter crap (not even bothering preloading textures before showing them on your face - but unlikely to be the case with M&B and its loading sequences everytime you speak to someone) or your setup is not consistent.

In any case, my point was: check your windows performance info (easily accessible from task manager) and it'll give you a clear idea of the bottleneck.
As far I can tell concerning Bannerlord, the CPU is always the one mostly used and at 100% usage when FPS drops.

Bannerlord runs perfect with patch 1.0.2. There is no problem like that at all. With 1.0.3 and after it stutters. I can presume that my system is able to handle the game with no memory leaks or whatever.

"So either 90% of the game you are playing are coded like utter crap" - well you should try to run Civilization VI or TW Attila on SSD and then compare to HDD with same rest of specs. I guarantee you will be surprised how dramatic it make with texture loading and stutters ratio.

So I upgraded my RAM up to 24 GB and it runs now perfectly fine!
But the thing is that on recommend specs on STEAM page it says that 8 GB will be enough. For now it won't be enough even for the minimum requirements to play.

Last edited:

Computer specs:

I have exactly the same issues since patch 1.0.3 which should improve the performance and its still a problem.
Release Version to patch 1.0.2 runs just fine.
My specs are:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7 GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
The game is installed on a SSD

I have exactly the same issues since patch 1.0.3 which should improve the performance and its still a problem.
Release Version to patch 1.0.2 runs just fine.
My specs are:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7 GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
The game is installed on a SSD

Glad to know I'm not going crazy. I was getting smooth 4K 120FPS at launch but stopped playing due to the game breaking bugs; came back today and it is CONSTANT freezing and stuttering and 100% cpu usage.

R5 1600
16GB 3200
RTX2080 SUPER
1TB Samsung EVO NVME

Same exact issue for me. Was able to run the game on the highest settings until most recent patch. Now I can't play a 1v1 custom battle much less load into a campaign. Even the main menu has huge stutters. Hoping there's another fix soon.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. We have fixed a considerable amount of the problems we have encountered so far and improved the game performance with the multiple patches we have released. Please make sure that your game, your drivers, and OS are up to date and the game has necessary permissions over your security software. Please let us know if the problem persists after completing these steps and verifying the integrity of the game files through Steam.

Back
Top Bottom