Search results for query: *

1. niczego

Kingdom of Jerusalem and Cyprus.

Thank you, now I can die happy.

Actually, maybe not die but you get the gist. Thanks also for the article.
  2. niczego

Where should i start my kingdom?

I always like "going on Crusade" and establishing myself in North Africa or Iberia and I was particularly proud of myself when I managed to repeat El'Cids achievement of taking and holding Valencia. It's probably the more difficult of options but I find it more fun than other places and requires good finances and a high level.

Apart from that I can't add anything that hasn't been mentioned already.
  3. niczego

Well if it helps even a little bit than I will be a happy individual.  :grin:

I have added some more information and I have come across something interesting (for me at least). It seems that the Catholics born in Outre-mer called themselves by a specific name. The book I had was in Polish and my attempts to find the equivalent in English has come up with nothing.

The word is "Pullanie", this is additionally the plural and I am not sure to the singular. If someone knows how the word is in English (or French as I am guessing that were it is derived from) than i would be grateful.
  4. niczego

Seeing as it seems you guys are still working on this most excellent of mods and I had some free time and did some research on, arguably, the kingdom I am most interested in seeing. I don't know what you guys are planning for the faction but I think my suggestions cover many of the subjects...
  5. niczego

SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Thank you.

Sometimes I swear I go blind for moments to miss things like this...
  6. niczego

SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Cozur said:
    An_Meirleach said:
    Before I start, I'd just like to say - well done on creating a bold and expansive ASOIAF mod for Warband. The detail is absolutely excellent, though whether I will ever be able to fully enjoy it is another question

Quick question - So I'm playing the 0.91 release and its crashing a lot. Its loading fine, the main problem is certain locations (and certain seemingly random actions) cause total crashes. Many of the custom scenes seem to do this, including King's Landing, Lannisport etc. - others, such as Highgarden and Winterfell run perfectly fine (and look beautiful btw).

I know you have said that you need a powerful PC to run this mod, but I would have considered my PC fairly good - it would have been considered top of the range when Warband was first released, and it, for example, allows me to play Brytenwalda comfortably on high graphics settings... switching the settings to the lowest possible reduces the numbers of crashes but it still crashes very frequently.

So I guess my question is: are these crashes because it is in beta phase, or is my PC just not good enough to run it? Or are there other problems? I would be very disappointed to learn I cannot play the mod, and I think if my slightly out of date gaming PC can't handle it...well the vast majority of people who want to play this mod are going to be as disappointed as I am.

I have not seen the quality of the other GoT mod that's being worked on, but I have a feeling the makers of this mod have an awful lot of talent for creating scenes and mapping that might be amiss in the other (though I have not seen too much of their work either)

EDIT: Sometimes I get the same message as Hazzardevil, othertimes its something about post_fx.fx

Have you enabled "Load Textures on Demand" and turned off the ability to edit scenes?

Despite a fear that the answer will turn out to be something obvious I'll ask, where do I do the above?
  7. niczego

Byzantium/Romans info for warband 1200

The problem with making a Byzantine (though if I recall they called themselves “Romani”) list is the fact that in the period from 1071 (Manzikert) to 1204 (Constantinople) the Imperial armies were completely mercenary in nature, the only locals to serve in some sort of armed forces were hired, trained and fought for Italian merchants (the Italians had completely dominated trade in the eastern Mediterranean by this time and used them to safeguard investments in the region).

Byzantine armies at this time were recruited from several sources, most notably:

Turko and Hunno ethnic Nomads from the Black Sea steppe: Serving as light cavalry (naturally) these men made up the vast majority of the soldiers available to Romani generals though their primary responsibility were tax collection and suppression of dissent (The empires population was very heavily taxed and needed very little provocation to rebel). Surprisingly enough they also made up the most loyal elements of the Imperial armies (bar perhaps the Varangian guard, providing they were paid what they demanded).

Italians: Serving as infantry, mostly crossbowmen.  They’re primary function was garrisoning fortresses and cities. Of course they tended to be more loyal to their relatives in Italy than to the Byzantines.

Sicilian Normans: Serving as heavy cavalry (no surprise). These men were not seen as often as the Byzantines would like as they demanded and received very large sums of money for their service.

English: At this time these men dominated the Varangian Guard and served primarily as cavalry (knights were not fond of fighting on foot after all). Of course their main duty was protecting the Emperor from his subjects and, more crucially, his courtiers.

Armenians: Tended to serve as heavy cavalry and infantry.

All mercenaries fought in their own, “national” equipment, though often enough made in Byzantium as part of their pay. I will stress, however, that even if the equipment was made in Byzantium it was made to suit the taste of those who would be using it in appearance and style of use.

I don’t know how an army list consisting entirely of mercenaries would be introduced into the game…

Would it be too much to ask the mod writers what sort of concept they have concerning the Byzantine army?
  8. niczego

Polish History and suggestions thread.

I was confused as in both eastern and western we seem to have both axemen and spearmen evolving into another level (horsemen and tennants). Is this intentional or does it mean that it hasn't been decided yet?

As a whole I think that the rural tree is a good one.

PS Do you want more Polish names in the other troop trees?
  9. niczego

Suggestions and Critique

Working on the above I got a strange idea which would be a modification of the "lend a companion" quest where they would ask you to take in a young relative to "earn his spurs" in your warband.

No idea what sort of scripting would be involved and if it would be even possible to implement but meh.
  10. niczego

I like it. Are both axemen and spearmen meant to evolve into tenants/horsemen?

About other troop trees than I'm thinking the Urban troop tree might as well be similar to a German urban troop tree like this one?
    Militia - Militia Spearman - Veteran Militia Spearman - Swordman - Loricatus
            |
              - Crossbow Militia - Veteran Crossbow Militia

Likewise with the professional tree:
    Footman - Solidarus - Sergeant - Clipeatus - Man at Arms
                |
                  - Crossbowman - Veteran Crossbowman - Mounted Crossbowman(strzelec?)
    Though maybe for the eastern provinces replace the crossbow with bows?

With all the German names in the noble tree I began replacing them with Polish names, and I think I may have gone overboard:
    Pacholek - Paz (page) - Giermek (squire) - Szlachcic (noble) - Rycerz (knight) - Druzynnik (member of the druzyna)

I've seen both "pacholek" and "paz" translated as "page" though they don't seem to be different kinds of men, pacholeks seemed to have been the lowest of the nobles retinue so it seems to be similar to how the Germans have both "page" and "knecht".

Good? Not good?
  11. niczego

Suggestions and Critique

NikeBG said:
    2. That would be cool, but what purpose would it have? The negative effects are there, yes, but what of the positives? Eventually you run away with her and marry her (again, what's the higher reward in that, compared to marrying a free lady)?

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement/code/whatever you call it but maybe it could serve as a trigger for your rebellion with an added bonus of other lords joining in automatically? I'm thinking of something along the lines of Isabella and Mortimer vs Edward II...

NikeBG said:
    3. That sounds pretty cool, actually, except for the "prisoner" part (I guarantee that at least I personally would mostly just quit and reload after getting that quest, unless I have nothing else to do at the moment). Perhaps if it's more like "follow the marshal" and/or for a short amount of time, it would be better.

Same as above concerning getting something like this to work but I suddenly got the image of a mini game, a "battle" with a boar or whatever animal it is being hunted to make those periods of peace more tolerable.
  12. niczego

I'm not sure whether Bohemian influence in Poland was strong enough to warrant adding them.

Apart from that no complaints or whining from me on the list, especially if the nomads and Slovaks are added.
    Though with the later wouldn't it be more appropriate for it to be "In northern Hungary and maybe some in southern Poland"?
  13. niczego

Cèsar de Quart said:
    About troop trees, there's two basic distinctions: the more western-like troops especially from Silesia, and the others. So I suggest two professional troop trees, one Silesian and others, Poles.

If I'd want to be nitpicky I'd mention the Mazovians as being the most "eastern" in their appearance... :razz:

Polans, Mazovians, Vistulans and Silesians. And Pommeranians. But I'm no expert on the matter.

No problem with Mazovians, Silisians and Pommeranians but rather than Polans and Vistulans it would be "Wielkopolanie" and "Malopolanie" respectively. The translation might be a bit tricky as they literally translate into "Great Poland" and "Small Poland" though the actual meaning at the time, apparently, was more along the lines of "Closer" and "Further" though in latin it was written as "Polonia Maior" and "Polonia Minor"... so I'm afraid that writing it properly in english is something I'm not sure of. 

All that said I realized I made a bit of a mistake in not placing any of the settlements in the part of Poland where Duke Kazimierz was in charge...  :oops:

Taking that and the fact (which I only noticed) that Slupsk is (in the mod) a village belonging to Denmark I'd suggest switching Slupsk and Sczytno and replacing them with Oswiecim as a castle and Bytom as its village.
  14. niczego

quapitty said:
    Very nice research indeed! If you don't mind I'll use some of your player suggested heraldry for new player banners to come....

Absolutly! I posted them in the hopes that they might become banners.

Korinov said:
    Now, regarding more 'practical' matters... how many different regional troop trees should we include? I suppose (just suppose) the urban troop tree could be the same for all towns ("polish") but I guess it won't be so for the rural ones. At least there should be some difference between western and eastern areas. What about professionals and nobles?

Before anything else I should probably stress that I have no experience nor knowledge of modding and coding and such so I can only guess as to what is practical.

Poland has been a  „melting pot” of nations for most of its history. Not as visible as during the Renaissance but still. I recall an anecdote about how a man from the west sent a complaint to Rome about how a city had a church, tserkov and synagogue all within walking distance of each other. Poland was home to Poles(naturally) Germans, Ruthenians, Gypsies, Jews, Armenians, various Turko and Hunno ethnic nomads and a lot more.

For simplicities sake than It would probably be best to simply have „urban Poles”, „western Poles” and „eastern Poles” with the only real difference being the type of equipment used by the recruits drawn from the appropriate settlements more than anything else.

Maybe a village or two somewhere with a nomadic troop tree to represent the nomads (settled in Poland by its rulers to serve as light cavalry, messengers and executioners)?   

Equipment wise I'd see the rural troops being mostly light infantry armed with bows and/or spears, axes and various „thrown” weapons. Urban troops could probably be equipped much like their western European counterparts ergo: crossbows, spears and medium armour.
    Maybe in one or both of the lists have an option to turn a combatant into a horseman. Maybe something like the „strzelcy”  you could find in Total War.

About professional infantry and nobles I don't see a reason why they should differentiate too much from their western counterparts, the biggest difference would probably be visual.
  15. niczego

Seeing as it's been a while since I showed up I decided to gather all the info put together in the previous topic into one post (having free time helps). In the year 1200 Poland found itself briefly unified, at least theoretically. Mieszko (known as “the old”) successfully forced his nephews...
  16. niczego

Good Mod but...

Personally I think that as long as the map is working than I'm more interested in other aspects of the mod, new items, kingdoms *cough*Poland*cough*, fixing broken quests and other such things.

Just my two pence.
  17. niczego

Teutonic Knights

Darthvegeta800 said:
    I assumed it wasn't literally 1200 but just a '13th century' mod. A shame. Ah well I'll keep my eyes open for future Teutonic mods to come out.

There is one or two mods where the Teutons are present as a faction if you need to wear a black cross that badly.

Korinov said:
    MihailoSRB said:
    niczego said:
    So, to summarize, if the mod remains historical there will be no Teutonic Knights.
    Yes.
    However, there is already a quest in which you can create the Order of St. George.
    So, there might be a quest in the future to create an Order of Teutonic Knights, though I cannot claim it for sure.

If I remember correctly, Cruger and Cèsar had planned something like that, because there will be some Teutonic equipment in the mod for sure.

Interesting.<adopts servantile pose> Would the honorable mod  creators be interesting in adding a similar quest for the Order of the Brothers of Dobrzyn? I wondered whether to suggest them in the Polish thread but decided not to as they were out of the time frame by a decade or so...
  18. niczego

Teutonic Knights

Nor will it ever be, providing the makers of the mod will continue to focus on keeping factions as historical as possible.

The German Order of the Virgin Mary of the German House in Jerusalem had only begun transforming from a hospital order into a militant order at this time and wouldn't be complete for another decade, which coincidently is the first time they attempted to create their own country in Europe.

So, to summarize, if the mod remains historical there will be no Teutonic Knights.
  19. niczego

Polish History Thread

Late reply is late but I think you got the wrong Dzierzko KDM.

The Dzierzko I mentioned was the Brother of Bishop Wit, a supporter of Kazimierz the Just. The man would be in his fifties or sixties in the year 1200 as he is first mentioned in the 1160's having founded a church, later on he would fund 3 monasteries. He joined the third crusade after which I can't find any more information about him. Unfortunate as he sounds like an interesting individual. (yes he may have died before 1200 but I can't find any information on the matter of his death)

So I stand by my suggestion that he can serve as a lesser lord to fill out the Polish ranks if necessary (though It doesn't look it's needed).

Yes my list is based on the Church map, it seemed like the best one to me showing the area closest to the time period we're interested in. I actually looked for info on Wiesliczka and all I get is Wieliczka... could you send me a link per chance?

Gniezno vs Poznan... I admit I'm a bit torn. After all Mieszko based his power on Poznan which would indicate it was more important than Gniezno. But than again 30 years later another Duke of Greater Poland based his power on Gniezno rather than Poznan...

Tough one but I think I'll stick to Poznan being more important though I won't fight against having Gniezno instead.

20. niczego

Polish History Thread

Damit Korinov, you ninjad me!

heres my post anyway if anybody is interested.

Updated the list of potential lords, we have 26 now and I can easily increase it to 29

Suggested settlements

Towns historical: Krakow, Wroclaw, Poznan.
    Gameplay: Krakow Wroclaw Gdansk/Plock. This version is to spread the towns around a bit, making it easier to sell junk.

The first is according to what I know to be the most important cities in Poland at the time within the limit of 3 towns (feel free to correct me)

Castles: (no specific order) Lubusz, Opole, Cieszyn, Sandomierz, Lublin, Drohiczyn, Czersk, Plock, Wloclawek, Sieradz, Kalisz, Gniezno, Dobrzyn, Slupsk, Gdansk, Tczew, Glogow, Santok.

Villages: Tyniec, Sacz, Mogila, Olesnica, Brzeg, Ujscie, Srem, Cedynia, Olesno, Orlowo, Kielce, Lukow, Liw, Sochaczew, Lowicz, Brescz, Ruda, Konin, Trzemieszno, Sierpe, Sczytno, Lebork, Starogard, Zagan, Miedzyrzec. 

As KDM noted Leszek and Roman were on good terms in that year and the outbreak of hostilities between them was somewhat sudden. (Up to that point Polish armies usually showed up to help Roman deal with internal opposition.) If/when the Prussian tribes are included than it would probably be historical for them to start hostile.
Back
Top Bottom