Search results for query: *

1. SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

I wouldn't be too worried about Bannerlord stealing attention, simply because it will likely have bugs and the like when it's released, and mods won't be released on it for a while, so this will still be in the spotlight for some time.
  2. Research/previews Egypt

Dion/Folcwar said:
    also, as you had read, I want to do this faction by myself, I do not want to copy. maybe some armours for re-texture. but that is a maybe! :razz:

Yeah dude, totally get you. I'm just saying that I might eventually look into doing it myself, basically taking the Egyptian faction once it's done and giving them a Hellenic troop tree for my game - none of that 19th Dynasty gibberish  :mrgreen:
  3. Research/previews Egypt

Dion/Folcwar said:
    Making both, making it once will be hard,..... making it twice...... no...., I can't be botherd as dumbman said.
    and mixing it, no.... also I just wanted to focus the army, not the generals / cities. :razz:

That means it'd take less work for us to do - phalanxes and other Hellenic infantry, peltasts and slinger/archers, some native infantry with elephants and then Hellenic cavalry, many of the units which could probably have equipment from already-existing soldiers...I think it'd be quite do-able, and I reckon I'll be willing to learn how to model and texture weapons myself, purely to see it done. Let's just hope I don't repeat my last attempt at making stuff and end up with the sword hilts (and blades) being hollow  :mrgreen:
  4. Research/previews Egypt

You already know how I feel about this, and I don't think I can add anything to what Annibal said. It's your mod, true enough, but more of us wanted to have Ptolemaic Egypt rather than 19th Dynasty. With that in mind, if you want to pander to the pro-Ptolemy crowd, you could always make a folder downloadable that overwrites the 19th Dynasty features and replaces them with Ptoly ones; names, faces, troop tree, weapons and armour etc.
  5. Mod previews(Sarmatia page 18!)

Sorry to everyone for the lack of updates when it comes to Thrace/Illyria/Iberia recently, I've kinda been slacking off thanks to the amazing weather that we're getting here (for once) But it they should have their settlements added to the map soon.

Also, and this is both an announcement to the community and to Dion, I think that in the future I can take on other roles too. Since I'm going part time at university I'm going to have a LOT more free time on my hands to learn how to do stuff to help with the mod. Tried modelling a while back and gave up on it, but might have another crack at it. Who knows!
  6. [out of date!]English troop and faction translation download link.

So is it pointless playing the game with English names, assuming that it's buggy and unpredictable?

I'd really like to give this a try, as this and E1200 are both fantastic mods set in the Middle Ages, but a huge drawback for me with this mod is the troop names. As incredible as the historical accuracy may be, it's just not practical, in my case anyways, to see troop names in Latin instead of English, since I have no idea what I'm recruiting/going up against.

Are there any plans to add new English names for the new troops? (assuming that the English names are out of date because new troops have been added)
  7. So what are you doing right now?

I have to admit I'm being a lazy git and have simply signed myself on to serve with the Irish lords as a soldier. Gives me an opportunity to travel the world (of Ireland) and meet new and interesting people...before killing them.

Got the game running in windowed mode, so whilst my commander runs all over the place the days are ticking by, and I'm earning a pretty penny, along with getting experience from any of the battles he stumbles into. So far it's been all bandits, but I'm worried I'm gonna have a repeat of my last "tour of duty" when my weakened commander fought a second English army and we were beaten...with one Englishman left standing.

I figure once I'm rich and strong after my time in the forces I'll strike out on my own and help the Irish to throw the English off of the Emerald Isle.
  8. Mod previews(Sarmatia page 18!)

Do I see Total War style siege battles happening, where you have to climb over the walls and capture the enemy city from within?  :mrgreen:
  9. Suggestions (Poll added info at page 18)

Ok, I've gotta make a post arguing for the Ptolemaic dynasty.

1 - first off, it's far, far, far, far more accurate than putting in the 19th dynasty. I realise that this isn't a 100% accurate mod, but it doesn't mean that it should include stuff from 1,000 years earlier or after. It would just kill the immersion to have the Egyptian faction be so outdated, and on the practical side of things, how would we implement it? A lot of the cities and settlements that would be there for the Ptolemaics wouldn't have existed in that age, and what about faction leaders, generals, etc? Do we even know much about the army of that period as much as we do about the Ptolemies?

2 - the army won't be a Macedonian rip off at all - just because they'll have phalanxes doesn't make it a rip off, especially as they'll have unique troops and the armour could (and should) be re-textured for a lot of them. The Ptolemies used native troops in their own fashion, so if it's axe-wielding maniacs you guys want, you can still have that whilst keeping it accurate. And what about the Seleucids - are they just going to be made into a Persian faction because we don't want another phalanx-using faction? How about the barbarbians as well - a lot of them use light infantry with spears, but no one complains about that. The factions will have their own unique troops, so there's no reason to change it altogether for want of variety.

3 - doing this means that there'd have to be a lot more work done than if we used the Ptolemies, because absolutely every unit, weapon, piece of armour etc would have to be modelled and textured from scratch. The Ptolemaic army would need maybe a quarter or a third, maximum, of it's soldiers to be started from scratch, and so it would talk far less time.

4 - Dion has an addiction to all things Egyptians, from posters to books, and I think it's our duty as the Romae Bellum community to make sure that this doesn't get out of hand. Yeah, that's right, this here's an intervention!!  :grin:

But jokes aside, to sum up why the Ptolemies should be used and not the 19th dynasty;

- historically accurate. Want a mod with the 19th dynasty in it? Play or make one with them in it - here's one that's being made.

- plenty of variety of troops for them, and they will feel like a unique faction. They'll be no more a rip-off of the Macedonians than the Gauls are a rip-off of the Brits, or Germans. Similar soldiers doesn't mean they'll be the same, especially with unique soldiers for each Hellenic faction...and of course, that part of the world should feel like it's connected, since it was!

- doing the Ptolemies will take far less time than doing the 19th dynasty. Even stuff that's carried over from the Greeks can be re-textured to give some shields and things a unique look. It also means that some scenes can be carried over, or at least won't take forever to make since they can just be edited to include Egyptian stuff rather than start from scratch. The Egyptian faction is going to be a big faction, there's no reason to make it an even bigger job.

If the 19th dynasty gets put into the game, I'm going to chuck my laptop under a bus, and that'll mean no more maps for you. Ha! Now we have to use the Ptolemies!!*  :twisted:

* dat ego, when I know full well my job can be easily replaced
  10. Suggestions (Poll added info at page 18)

Ptolemies are in the lead....please god, let it stay that way  :mrgreen:

11. Suggestions (Poll added info at page 18)

Oh lawd. Please don't put mythical weapons in.

Or if you do, please make it an add-on that people can download and drop into their game folder so that not everyone has to use it.

I get that 100.00000% accuracy isn't what you're going for here, but I really don't see mythical weapons being any good for this, it'll make it feel like Dynasty Warriors or something.

Quest items, if they have to be included, sounds best, but it's still not great...weapons weren't of great quality back then so they wouldn't survive the passing of centuries and still be usable, so having ancient weapons like Achilles' shield or something would just make the mod more like fantasy.

Just my two pence.
  12. Mod previews(Sarmatia page 18!)

It's not bad, especially for early work.

Not too sure about the CaCav signature on it though  :lol:

By the way, I'm having some troubles with the Macedonian map - number one is that I finished it but forgot to save it, so that has to be done again, but also I have a feeling that, because it's in a very tight space, some villages are going to be "given" to a place I don't want them to go to, meaning one settlement may own 5 villages whereas the one nearby only has 1, or something. Do you know how to make it so that villages are bound to settlements, as opposed to just them belonging to the nearest place?
  13. Faction Discussions(Poll)

Holy balls, that map of ancient Spain is bloody amazing! Gallic ones are great too, especially if we end up putting the Belgae in, as they expand their territory quite a bit and look really in-depth. Very, very awesome post.
  14. SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

Kaampper said:
    Epicrules said:
    They are the same person, but the movies didn't really touch on "strider" very much.

Lol i dont know the books but i just wanted to confuse people with that haha xD

Funny last time i saw LOTR , i saw the Extended versions, i had already seen them.. but this time i noticed something, that aragorn was over hundread years old lol i didn't know that yet xD

I could've sworn he was only (only!) 80-90 years old. Went to war with Ewoyn's granddad, or even Theoden's granddad, can't remember.

But what I do remember from that scene is that Eowyn is a terrible cook.
  15. SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

Strider is to Aragorn what Gollum is to Smeagol.

Everyone in Middle Earth suffers from schizophrenia, basically.
  16. Suggestions (Poll added info at page 18)

locoace said:
    What i would like to see, would possibly be Ptolomaic kingdom, and Seleucid empire, both would be Macedonian influenced, but have native troops

not quite edumacated in the Seleucid empire, but Ptolomaic could have Jewish Spearmen, and Machimoi

Don't worry - they're on the "to-do" list  :wink:

I really need to get to work on finding them cities and the like. Ptolemies are fairly easy to do, but there were other, smaller kingdoms that kind of broke up the Seleucid empire, or at least encroached on its borders, and I'm not sure what we'll do about those areas just yet.
  17. Faction Discussions(Poll)

DumbMan900BC said:
    Dion knows nothing about balance...I saw on your maps that the Romans have 31 settlements, why should the coming factions have only 20 then, if you are able to maybe find some more to fill the map more, would be good and awesome.

EDIT: Rome has 37 settlements and Greek only 20, seems kinda unfair atm...

I'm assuming because he's just carried over the number of settlements each faction has in vanilla Warband.
  18. Faction Discussions(Poll)

Kekke said:
    I think you should split the greek city stats in to smaller states because they didnt cooperate all the time instead they mostly fought each other :smile:. tex : Sparta , Athens , Myrmadion and Tiberias.

Dion wants most factions to have around 20, at the least, settlements. The Greeks currently have 20, so splitting them up would need a lot of other places to be added in, and we'd need to get extremely historically accurate in regards to the Achaen and Aetollian Leagues, since those should be the factions there, if any are.
  19. SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

So I know that asking for a release date is strictly verbotten, however, a while back we were told that MOTW was about 80% done. Now, I'm definitely not asking for a release date or anything of the sort, butttt would it be possible to get a rough estimate of how much further along it's gotten?

Like I said, I know asking for a release date is frowned on, but we were given a rough number as to how finished it was earlier, and I was just hoping that you wouldn't mind doing the same just to give an idea of how much further it's come since then.

Pretty please?

GifBlinking%20puppy.gif
  20. Mod previews(Sarmatia page 18!)

Gauls be stepping up in the world!
Back
Top Bottom