Search results for query: *

• Users: Gazzz
  • Order by date
  1. Gazzz

I am repulsively disappointed in MP, Taleworlds.

why are you only cutting it down to native mp and not accounting for the same figures with the singleplayer count, which will also be extremely mod heavy.

This was taken at when events normally run, more events run on the weekend so this number could be higher depending when it is looked at.
  2. Gazzz

I am repulsively disappointed in MP, Taleworlds.

Events were one of the big things that kept Warband MP alive for such a long time, some people are still waiting for battle to be implemented so that events can continue. Check the amount of people playing at the weekend around 7pm GMT, that's roughly when the population jumps up.
  3. Gazzz

MP Charlini's Video Thread & Feedback Suggestions

Agreed with all points presented, we can only hope that this wont get lost in the forums, if anything id try to push for this to get pinned as i can see this becoming a very good source for any future information
  4. Gazzz

MP Modified Combat Parameters

I think we need to consult the trusty chart on this debate.
    ohnli5y8t03y.png

In any case, I'm going to give this mod a go and see how good of a fix this is, from the names backing the changes, as slight as they appear, I have high hopes this will be a good fix.
  5. Gazzz

Deflecting Arrows (and other perks)

Rainbow Dash said:
    It is being forgotten here that in the M&B community there are exceptionally talented players - is it a stretch to assume such players would also master the arrow blocking mechanics?  At that point you have 2Hers surpassing shield users in ranged defense and eliminating the primary weakness of using a 2H weapon.

If that is the case then the Warband competitive community shpuld be dead in the ground and nonexistent. Why? Because Chambering is one of the hardest skills to master in multiplayer Warband.

With Chambering you can deflect couched lances, discourage attacking from opponents as a chambered attack always guarantees a free attack. In theory there would be no incentive to make a move as a Chamber can end your life if you dare go on the offensive.

But we both know the reality of Chambering. The timing to master iss too hard to learn and it's inconsistency has rendered it a feature everyone ignores.

My deflecting arrows solution is mean't to provide the same experience as Chambering.

Make it as hard as Chambering so that it is not a common occurence, but still leave enough room to have rare moments of saving a life from an arrow shot happen, because they are special.

Seriously, go read my solution. I think you will like it.

Thats because double swinging as shielder is preferred over chambering because its safer to do. Dont see many people walking about with 2h'ers on comp unless they are pissing around as any decent archer would have them However i would say that chambering is not hard if your playing against someone that doesnt do anything fancy nor anything that would be considered comp worthy anyway
  6. Gazzz

Deflecting Arrows (and other perks)

bwc153 said:
    It should be RNG (and if so, something small <15%) or not in the game at all.  It is being forgotten here that in the M&B community there are exceptionally talented players - is it a stretch to assume such players would also master the arrow blocking mechanics?  At that point you have 2Hers surpassing shield users in ranged defense and eliminating the primary weakness of using a 2H weapon.

Id rather it wasn't in the game at all, but if its at least not in multiplayer im ok with that i suppose as im not that bothered about singleplayer
  7. Gazzz

Sword-fighting system: easy basics, but varied & deep, realistic

krippp said:
    From Bannerlord videos, I've gathered that the combat system seems the same as in M&B 1.

I think the system could be improved significantly. It is easy for newbies, yet also easy to master. The system update I'm proposing, should be about as simple for newbies, yet include much more variety, and depth for master-level play, maybe even beauty.

I'm proposing to add more strike directions, 16 instead of the current 4 directions. BUT WAIT. Every one of the 16 possible strikes can be parried with only 3 directions, as in real-life swordsmanship. So the basics should be easy. But the depth should give more opportunities for skilled players to shine, as in any lastingly popular mainstream game. M&B's current system is so easy to master, that after feints are mastered, there is nothing else, and the skill caps at there. The system is not deep.

I'll begin showcasing my imagined system:

THE GUARDS (or postures with the sword):
    The Italian sword-traditions have catalogued practically every type of strike the human hand can make. Divided into CUTS and THRUSTS, 1 of each from each of the 8 major directions, they call these hand postures which prepare each strike, the “guards” (or “guardia” in Italian).

I’ll let the following 2 pictures speak for themselves. They include practically the full variety of strikes one can make:

219cbuu.jpg

157z0qg.jpg

Note that because the guards reflect sword-positions, some of them work as parries, against those strikes you’d expect. There is no need for a special “parry button”, because all the parries one can make are included within the guards.

The Italians also realised that making a cut from 1 direction, naturally ends with you in a guard at the opposite side; cutting is basically a change from 1 guard to another. So the system holds together even along a sword-fight; your hand is always in 1 guard or another, or transitioning between them.

M&B's current 3 cuts become 8, 1 thrust becomes 8, making spears much more dangerous, but swords retaining an edge in versatility because they can also cut effectively.

The “parry button” is replaced with the 2 or 3 “guard” buttons.

With this full catalogue of weapon-positions, we can already begin seeing how various sword-interactions, strikes and parries, work in real life, and to make sure our system works the same way.

From the system, I’ve replaced cut 4, which would strike with the “true-edge (front edge) of the blade” from below directly upwards. Why? Because this cut is difficult to make, doesn’t contain much force or speed, and I’ve never seen it used in serious swordplay. Instead, cut 4 now features the “Guardia di Testa”, which is the only guard I couldn’t otherwise include in the system without needlessly adding a special button for it. Guardia di Testa can be used to block overhead cuts (cut 8 ) by looking up, and to quickly parry thrusts by timely switching to the proper thrusting guard.

I thought the in-game controls could work like this:

Cutting guards are directed by mouse-movement, when a button is pressed, eg button “C”.
    Thrusting guards are also directed by mouse movement when you press e.g. “V”.

Each SKILLED real-world CUT consists of 3 phases, but one does not need to make skilled cuts; newbies can merely keep pressing mouse1 and hope to succeed. Skilled players, instead, try the following:

1) The “initial guard selection phase”, where you move your hand into 1 of the cutting guards. Eg press C, direct mouse toward cutting guard 3…

2) The “gathering momentum phase”, where you move to a different cutting guard, eg keep pressing “C”, direct mouse toward cutting guard 7…

3) The “actual cutting action”, where you cut and move into a different guard along the way. Eg press mouse1 to strike from cutting guard 7, which transfers the sword into thrusting guard 3 (the opposite of 7).

Here’s a catch: after “initial guard selection phase”, you can actually transition your hand to cut from any direction, THOUGH not all directions are equally good (more later). So any newbie can cut, but masters know the details.

It requires 1 click to cut, which seems very playable. There are other ways the controls could be done; I currently prefer this.

Here’s a picture to clarify, poses by Ilkka Hartikainen. The text in the picture is an outdated control system… Anyway:

34nha8k.jpg

Here I've listed some sword-mechanics, giving examples which showcase the possibilities of the system in use:

SWITCHING BETWEEN GUARDS TAKES TIME.

It takes more time to switch guards, the farther your next guard is. So moving your hand from 1 to 5 takes longer than moving it from 1 to 7 or 3, and so on.
    This creates the strategy of striking where your opponent takes the longest time to parry.

In the next example, we initially hold our sword in thrust 5, which along with thrusting guards 3 and 4 is the safest and most common guard. Why? Because your hand is fairly central. From a central hand-position, you can most quickly adopt your required guard. Additionally, thrusting guards 5 and 3 are both already parries against cuts from their respective sides. And all 3 have good thrusts prepared, and discourage the opponent from running into you.

CUT-STRIKING MOMENTUM:

The next example: We are still at thrusting guard 5. Now we want to cut from 7. If now simply pressing C + mouse movement + Mouse1 to directly lift and cut from 7, using the sword in a hammer-like manner, then the cut isn't going to be as strong as if we had gathered momentum from cut 1, as in the picture. Our hand will have traveled a slightly lesser distance, but because we have to push against our own momentum toward 7, the cut takes as long or longer to perform. Less force, equal time. There could be a slight player grunt to indicate working against own momentum.

So here we already see skill in action: the competent swordsman swings his sword around his back via cut 1, and cuts with equivalent gathering-speed but greater force than the hammerer.

The closer you gather to where you're cutting, the faster but weaker your cut is going to be; the farther you gather, the slower your gather but stronger your cut. So if striking from 7, speed of gathering goes 8>1>2>3, but strength goes 3>2>1>8.
    Gathering from a direction adjacent to where you'll cut, is almost as weak as gathering like the hammerer. The next direction is already significantly more powerful.

So you see, the system has already realistically implemented an easy ability to choose how strongly or quickly you cut from your chosen direction.

To tie your cut with the momentum of your gather, ie to make your gather and strike into 1 motion, would require you to press C+mouse_movement, then Mouse1 as your gathering cutting guard is fully adopted.

Note that you can cut from any cutting guard directly without gathering, for a strong cut. The problem is, you expose yourself to strikes more, in cutting guards. And if you went from thrusting guard 5 to cutting guard 3 and cut from there, without gathering into cutting guard 7, you'd work against your own momentum which goes from 5 to 3, to the left, instead of upwards and right, so your strike would be slower to execute. If you held cutting guard 3 for a while, and then cut, the cut would not have opposite momentum, hence it would be strong.

CUT-PARRYING MOMENTUM:

Using the momentum of an opponent's cut, to make your own riposte (counter-cut) faster.

Example: your opponent tries to cut you with a well-gathered 1, which comes in from your 7. You parry it with thrusting guard 5, which knocks your sword slightly, to 4, or maybe to 4½, or 4,75, or so on. Now your sword has left-directed momentum, so you continue the movement via left-side cutting guards 4, 3, 2, or even 1, and riposte with added speed from e.g. 7, which is undefended as long as your opponent doesn't change his guard.

FEINTS:

Feints would be done by switching your guard before your cut strikes the opponent's blade or shield, just like M&B does now. Feints are possible with thrusts also.

Example: you make thrust 5. Seeing the opponent parrying it with thrusting guard 3, you tap V and pull mouse toward 3, which quickly pulls your sword toward your own thrusting guard 3. After your sword is withdrawn to the other side of his, you tap mouse1 to make the thrust. Zig-zag, you've just fooled your opponent with a thrusting feint. If you want to execute this perfectly, you actually transfer your 2nd thrust into thrust 6 to prevent any counter-attacks. But this requires 1 more mouse-movement to 6, and so more skill.

CONTINUING YOUR ATTACK AFTER OPPONENT'S PARRY:

Example: You cut from 7, and your opponent parries with a low-looking thrust guard 3. Instead of artificially making a "cooldown" before you can act again, like M&B now does, you can switch to thrust 6, which changes your sword from pointing outside, to pointing right at the opponent and thrusting him if he doesn't "look up" (in thrusting guard 3) or switch to thrusting guard 2 (which pushes your blade outside his silhouette).

IMMEDIATE COUNTER-ATTACK:

Example: Your opponent cuts a 7, coming in from your 1. You want to play it aggressively, so you switch to cutting guard 3 and look up, which parries his strike sword-point down. Then you continue your momentum and cleave his head in two with a cut 8. This would create a surprise-effect similar to the now-used "same-sided strike parries" mechanic.

SWORD LEVERAGE:

Basic leverage. If your swords are crossed, and his blade is closer to your handle than yours is to his handle, then you've got the leverage-advantage, allowing you to control his sword with less effort than him. So switching guards to push his sword away is faster, the better your leverage-advantage.

-------------------------

2 ADDITIONAL SWORD-CONTROL MECHANICS:

2vba0bo.jpg

By adding these 2 features into the game, swordplay would gain considerably more depth than already possible with the 8+8 striking system.

1) Switching the angle you hold your sword at, from "narrow" (the typical angle) to "wide".
    This switch could happen by pushing a button, e.g. "B".

Using the "wide" angle enables at least 3 new mechanics into swordplay:

1st) You can parry strikes with your sword-point down, essential against strikes to your legs, and facilitating different ripostes than parries with your point up.

2nd) You can more clearly invite your opponent to make an attack.

3rd) The "wide" angle is great for preparing false-edge cuts.

4th) If stamina were ever introduced into M&B, then you could rest your hand at the "wide" angle.

2) Cutting with the false-edge.

Like the picture shows, many swords have 2 sharpened edges. The "true-edge" is what you usually cut with, but the false-edge has its uses, especially in quick cuts to the opponent's sword-hand. You can also make wonderful parries with the false-edge, such as parrying the already-familiar "cut from 7" by moving into cutting guard 7 with your false-edge forward. This enables a nice throat-slashing riposte with a true-edge cut 7 after striking the opponent's blade away, but requires competent timing, as compared to parrying with thrusting guard 5 where you merely set your blade on the way.

Note that while I replaced the upward-going true-edge cut 4 with Guardia di Testa, being in a "wide thrusting guard 4", pressing the false-edge button (e.g. "B"), cuts from 4, a vertical upwards-going cut with the false edge, especially dangerous against sword-hands.

--------------------------

There are many more details which could be mentioned, a lot of play-testing to be done for sure, a challenge to the developers. But if the system would work in a polished version, it could actually revolutionize sword-fighting games. Imagine playing a computer-game and LEARNING REAL-WORLD SWORDSMANSHIP!

Some examples of further details:

1) You can actually parry an overhead cut (cut 8 ) with the thrusting guard 8, by looking up. The opponent's cut lands on either of your sword's quillons, and you can move his sword around with yours, for a good riposte.

2) There is a type of cut called the “stramazzone”, where you move practically only your wrist, gather from your “inside” (belly side), and cut. It’s quick, and good for continuing a series of cuts. The controls could be set so that if you gather from cut 3, and cut (mouse1) immediately from cut 1, 8, 7, 6, then the cut is made as a stramazzone.

3) I've kept Mouse2 free of any controls up till now. In my most-perfect system imaginable, Mouse2 initiates a grappling-action with your off-hand against the body-part closest to the center of your screen.

3b) With shields, Mouse2 would shift and bash the shield around (change its "guard"), and you would no longer have to look at your feet to cover them from arrows. Shield fighting would prioritize strikes from the right side, because left sided guards would turn the shield away from the front, exposing the combatant. Presuming here a left-handed shield. It should be interesting and realistic if handedness could be changed. The techniques required against lefties are different.

----------

End of my post. These are the main-features of the system I’ve imagined. It probably takes some skills and patience to program, but I like its possibilities. Would certainly like to try this one out.

This is a very detailed post you have presented ill give you that. However in my opinion its a little late into the development for taleworlds to change the mechanics already in place but thanks for actually expanding on your idea instead of leaving it half baked.
  8. Gazzz

Weapons and combat balance

Arnulf Floyd said:
    I not wish as AI in Bannerlord to be smarter as player because will destroy fun of game, also nerfing archers and lancers not will help with nothing balance IMHO but veterans want what I mentioned above so bad :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
    Look for something called Brainy Bots and get that. That makes warbands AI semi decent to play against but still has its flaws ofcourse. This works with any mod i believe
  9. Gazzz

wormydowg said:
    Gazzz said:
    Orion said:
    Bladerider said:
    And you should take into consideration that the game has to be fun to be played with any class. Archers are not the only players with the right to have fun.
    Sure, that's the goal. Who's to say that what you're suggesting achieves that better than the status quo, or other suggested alternatives? That's what's in contention here. I think your suggestions for bow/crossbow accuracy & damage nerfs would make the game so much less fun for an archer that they would not be able to continue enjoying it.

The statement about archers being underpowered and that they are more of a support unit is just false since they can kill with a headshot and by two hits in the body to most of enemies. That is not "support".
    This claim is too general to be true, and I can provide you with any number of counter examples to demonstrate how it is false in a wide variety of circumstances. Even mid-tier helmets will save your life from a headshot at medium & long range, and the best helmets can save you at point-blank. It's even possible to survive headshots from crossbows.

I wonder, of all the people who complain about archers being OP, how many regularly play as archers? Discussions about the balance of archery are always rife with misinformation and straight-up lies.

Archers are balanced in my opinion, their short comings in melee make up for the damage a very good archer can do by playing the class how it should be played. Besides, all inf have the best counter for archers for free, its called a shield, take the free one and have it on your back, when you get shot at pull it out and boom, you have a way to block arrows now.

One thing that does give me a chuckle is when i check the forum, people are suggesting balance to a game that isnt out yet (still allowed your own opinions though!) or is trying to say why this class is unbalanced in warband when they have not really played much of warband to begin with or are basing their opinions on only MP or SP.

To put it simply this meme puts it perfectly, the more time you play the more balanced the game becomes because you have more of an understanding of how the game works. You still need to have a shield tho, unless you enjoy getting shot at!

ohnli5y8t03y.png

Your right, Banner lord better have that god damn cliff in it.

Indeed, maybe a bit bigger this time cause why not!

On a more serious note, from what i have seen (gameplay wise etc etc) Bannerlord isnt looking as big of a cliff as warband, but we shall see!
  10. Gazzz

Kill assist in MP

Nymeris said:
    The title says it all

Assists as in assist kills or Assist as in help with the multiplayer?
  11. Gazzz

Orion said:
    Bladerider said:
    And you should take into consideration that the game has to be fun to be played with any class. Archers are not the only players with the right to have fun.
    Sure, that's the goal. Who's to say that what you're suggesting achieves that better than the status quo, or other suggested alternatives? That's what's in contention here. I think your suggestions for bow/crossbow accuracy & damage nerfs would make the game so much less fun for an archer that they would not be able to continue enjoying it.

The statement about archers being underpowered and that they are more of a support unit is just false since they can kill with a headshot and by two hits in the body to most of enemies. That is not "support".
    This claim is too general to be true, and I can provide you with any number of counter examples to demonstrate how it is false in a wide variety of circumstances. Even mid-tier helmets will save your life from a headshot at medium & long range, and the best helmets can save you at point-blank. It's even possible to survive headshots from crossbows.

I wonder, of all the people who complain about archers being OP, how many regularly play as archers? Discussions about the balance of archery are always rife with misinformation and straight-up lies.

Archers are balanced in my opinion, their short comings in melee make up for the damage a very good archer can do by playing the class how it should be played. Besides, all inf have the best counter for archers for free, its called a shield, take the free one and have it on your back, when you get shot at pull it out and boom, you have a way to block arrows now.

One thing that does give me a chuckle is when i check the forum, people are suggesting balance to a game that isnt out yet (still allowed your own opinions though!) or is trying to say why this class is unbalanced in warband when they have not really played much of warband to begin with or are basing their opinions on only MP or SP.

To put it simply this meme puts it perfectly, the more time you play the more balanced the game becomes because you have more of an understanding of how the game works. You still need to have a shield tho, unless you enjoy getting shot at!

ohnli5y8t03y.png
  12. Gazzz

Online Skirmish Battle test phase (custom battle)

OurGloriousLeader said:
    They've said it will happen but have given no time-frame. Personally don't see why we can't be testing (and fixing) the game now, it's obviously in a playable state and the negativity can't get any worse.

Not to mention it would help with balancing weapons, mounts and most likely other things as well.
  13. Gazzz

Dual Wielding?

Yes we all want some ragnar's running around in multiplayer, that will clearly be fun to play against if they attack two different directions at the same time.
  14. Gazzz

Some criticisms

Rainbow Dash said:
    Gab-AG. said:
    Looks fine to me, to be honest. The armour is decent and it doesn't look too out of place for the series, M&B has never been a 'realistic' game, more like very low fantasy but surely not realistic. This is kinda trivial. Running out of stuff to talk about?

+1

What happened to actual issues we had like Skirmish mode in multiplayer? Where is the outrage for that?
    Because a lot of the active people that talk about stuff like this only really care about the  single-player experience of the game and not the multiplayer one which is a shame. 
  15. Gazzz

Multiplayer Game Modes - Updated Info and Discussion

Orion said:
    Rackie said:
    But if you think a bit, light cavalry is stong against archers, and most do have their counters. You know why? Cuz thats how real life was and thats how it becomes naturally. Fast cavalry can get close to an archer much faster than a troop soldier. Thats just how it is. Nothing to do woth overwatch8
    If you watch a bit, you'll see that light cavalry isn't strong against archers in Warband. Their horses die quickly, leaving them vulnerable.

Rock/paper/scissors balancing doesn't work in Warband, and it won't work in Bannerlord. There are too many variables and play styles. Short of TaleWorlds railroading players into one set of equipment per class, it just won't happen, and if they tried then it would fail.

Why the type of 'balancing' taleworlds is going for will most likely never work as they are balancing from the bottom up, ie instead of someone with 5000+ in warband helping to balance bannerlord they are asking people with 500 instead. No offence to the devs but that little gif of you lot fighting kinda showed it. I watched it and i didnt see a single block from any of you, just senseless spamming. Why im very much of the opinion that they should let the comp community find balance, as if it is balanced for comp play with people that know what they are doing, it will be balanced for timmy who just bought the game because he seen is favourite youtuber play it.
  16. Gazzz

Bannerlord's Anticheat?

Sundeki said:
    Gazzz said:
    Just a question i feel that should be answered if it has not been already, what will taleworlds be doing for anti-cheat in bannerlord? As there is next to no anti-cheat system built into the warband, currently it is up to the community to point fingers at each other as their best way to tell if someone is auto-blocking or being able to spot it from putting in to many hours in multiplayer for example.

There are plenty of people that autoblock, but they are all trash. I doubt I have ever lost in a fight against someone autoblocking, most of the (infantry) game is in your timed attacks, footwork and positional awareness, not the blocking. People who actually know how to play the game are a far bigger threat and it's very difficult to find out the blocking skill difference between someone with 2000+ hours and someone that autoblocks, because that high hours player will be blocking instinctively with such success rates that would be higher than people using autoblock who don't know timing or footwork.

Ultimately I don't think that autoblock is or ever has been a problem, and likely what a lot of people are complaining about isn't autoblockers but just higher level players they don't understand.
    This isnt a complaint thread mate and i aint accusing people of auto blocking, meerly using it as an example of one of the many cheats in the game currently. I have 3912 hours in the game(though im well aware of people having 5000 hours+ easily) so i do have a fair amount of experience in the game (most of it multiplayer) but i only bothered to make a forum account recently. I was asking because i am well aware of the lack of anti cheat on this game and i am just curious if taleworlds are taking strong steps to avoid this issue within the community.

And sure, people that auto are not too much bother for people that have 3000+ hours in the game, however for newer players this is not the case.
  17. Gazzz

Bannerlord's Anticheat?

Dest45 said:
    At least there will be official servers this time. The admins on some US servers wont ban cheaters when I provided substantial evidence and some cheat themselves.
    Thats my point, there is no proper way to prove it fully or most dont care anymore. Its why i'd rather not leave it up to people but an anti-cheat, one that actually works mind you. The only time a human should be involved is when someone innocent has been caught by the system just because they got on a bit of a spree.

However some people may just be really good at the game since alot of the good people on multiplayer have 3000 hours easy so not all are cheating.
  18. Gazzz

Bannerlord's Anticheat?

Just a question i feel that should be answered if it has not been already, what will taleworlds be doing for anti-cheat in bannerlord? As there is next to no anti-cheat system built into the warband, currently it is up to the community to point fingers at each other as their best way to tell if...
  19. Gazzz

[Minor League] Stage 7 — Semi-Finals | Fixtures | Deadline is 15.04

KaneMaB said:
    Kani said:

You can decide for yourself with this
    When his curser follows the 2 cav it seems very fluent and machine-like. I have thought quake to be suspicious for a while now so I would like to see more people gathering vids etc on him.

Cheaters must be banned.

E; not saying he is cheating just saying he is suspicious and if he is a cheater he must be banned.

This vid plus the anti cheat logs are certainly adding up, even tho the anti cheat is flawed to all hell it does support some of the iffy things in the video posted. Also with his response being so childish and not even a constructed defence starts to make me a little more iffy about what is going on
  20. Gazzz

[Minor League] Stage 7 — Semi-Finals | Fixtures | Deadline is 15.04

Herishey said:
    I haven't seen him play yet myself, though multiple people also have warned us that he is believed to be a cheater.

If you want to make a fair solution why not make Quake record the next match he plays?

Which is the finals. So that's just great timing to check if he is or isn't, when this could have been checked ages ago!!!!!!

Really i don't see why there is a fuss about proving if he is innocent. If he is truly innocent of this why doesn't he record the next match that he plays, which evidently is the finals. Instead the only defence that has been provided that he isn't aim botting is by word of mouth by his own team which is not a credible source of information to the facts and truth, as well as some screenshots which lets be honest here, are not really hard to fake. On the other hand we have several different people, of which are all at different levels, saying the exact same thing about this player. That to me raises some eyebrows right there.

In any case, good luck to NNN in the match tomorrow and good luck to whoever plays in the finals against GA.
Back
Top Bottom