Search results for query: *

1. LanceShield

Dev Blog 11/01/18

vota dc said:
    Tradition is important.

I always thought this way of portraiting cultures by forcing them to stick to a fighting style like either horse archers, heavy knights, only foot, only foot + crossbows.... is wrong. In history when a culture developed a new tactic that outclassed the traditional ones, it was quickly adopted by every other culture it met. Even if there are no means to train horse archers quickly in a country, I'm sure they would find a way to train a few light cavalry troops simply because not having any at all would be stupid.
    But it's ok, it can be easily modded later, no big problem
  2. LanceShield

SP Dark Ages VC_Changes

VC_Changes v1.0    READ ME ******************************************************************************* Compiled with Viking Conquest 2036 source modified. What?         Now there are books for all 12 party skills and they become reference books once read.                   They give +2 to...
  3. LanceShield

Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Bustah said:
    Thanks heaps! Would you also happen to know where to change the speed penalty for when a horse hits a player? Like make it such that the horse doesn't come nearly to a stop every time it hits a player? Cavalry charges are currently worthless.

I think they increased the mass of soldiers or decreased the mass of horses. And they increased the speed reduction from hill slopes too. But no idea how to change it. You can increase horse charge value but I suppose you already did it
  4. LanceShield

I want to change the mesh of the book that it is being read. There are 6 meshes from "book_a" to "book_f" plus there is another one "book_open". My idea is to change the mesh to "book_open" while the book is being read, and change it to another one once finished.
    In header operations I have found this:
    cur_item_add_mesh                  = 1964  # (cur_item_add_mesh, <mesh_name_string>, [<lod_begin>], [<lod_end>]),
                                                # Version 1.161+. Only call inside ti_on_init_item trigger. Adds another mesh to item, allowing the creation of combined items. Parameter <mesh_name_string> should contain mesh name itself, NOT a mesh reference. LOD values are optional. If <lod_end> is used, it will not be loaded.
    cur_item_set_material              = 1978  # (cur_item_set_material, <string_no>, <sub_mesh_no>, [<lod_begin>], [<lod_end>]),
                                                # Version 1.161+. Only call inside ti_on_init_item trigger. Replaces material that will be used to render the item mesh. Use 0 for <sub_mesh_no> to replace material for base mesh. LOD values are optional. If <lod_end> is used, it will not be loaded.

My guess is that add mesh would add a submesh to the item, so then I could call set material with sub_mesh_no 1 because sub_mesh_no 0 is the base mesh. But I don't understand what is string_no. Probably something related to 3d meshes while books are 2d pictures. I'm trying to add a line to "camp_action_read_book_start"

Please someone can tell me if this is possible and what operation could I use. Or some example in the code.
  5. LanceShield

Bustah said:
    Hello I'm trying to overhaul the scouting system in Warband as currently it makes just about 0 sense. Anyways I can't seem to find where spotting range is calculated, which I would like to set to 0 or 1 by default.

I think in module.ini there are these lines which change spotting range and track marks on world map:
    seeing_range    = 6.5
    track_spotting_multiplier = 0.8

I don't know if there are other ways to change it. Probably it is hardcoded but I'm not expert at all, just trying to help
  6. LanceShield

Quick Questions - Quick Answers Thread

So I'm trying to understand the code about formations but I have decided to do some minor mods to learn because at the moment it is very complex for me. I have done one about books and it works fine. The only thing that I can't do is to change the mesh of the books with a script. There are 6 meshes from book_a to book_f and there is another one book_open. My idea is to change the mesh to book_open while the book is being read, and change to another one once finished. I have looked in header operations but I don't see anything to do it. Any idea?

Also if I post the mod do I have to open a thread in released mods? And what is the best way to do it? I have an account in Nexus mods, is it ok if I upload a zip with the .text compiled files ?
  7. LanceShield

Dev Blog 21/12/17

The empire is based on..... the Byzantines not the Romans 
    icon_eek.gif

The eastern roman empire lasted for many more years than the western. They were the empire for many years. In the time period the game is placed it's completly logical
  8. LanceShield

completely Dynamic followers.

In skyrim and similar Bethesda games the quests were interesting but combat was boring because having immortal companions made them too easy.

If companions are randomly generated they can be easily replaced so it's not that bad if one of them dies. Besides, it increases the tension while playing.

Just saying
  9. LanceShield

PC Gamers Weekend

Actually I like to play ironman with maximum difficulty although whith special quests it's nearly impossible because these quests are designed to be specially difficult, meaning many save-reloads. What I really hate is those youtube let's plays where the guy plays with easy settings. Why bothering recording that and wasting a good gaming experience
  10. LanceShield

Traits

Hey thank you Alfonso dArmigerio. I'd never guess it on my own. I will use search function but I was experimenting because this mod has lots of features and I like to see how would be a new player experience.  Now I have to find if there are duels or what is considered a duel, and if companions and lords gain traits randomly. I will find the thread don't worry.

If modders want a  bit of feedback, The minigames were beatiful excepting a few minor bugs, like collision with invisible meshes in wheat fields, too much randomness when a mining pick  or axe breaks, being stuck when sawing a log, and the annoying need to pay to know if an enterprise would be profitable in a town and later finding that you can only invest in an enterprise belonging to the guild you joined. Makes sense but the first time you are playing and when you are trying to make lots of money it's misleading.

I'm just starting the fief management part and I think this mod has a huge amount of well thought features but I don't think religious uniformity should be a factor in kingdom finances but in political control. Also I wouldn't call the Cathars extremists, presenting them as the bad guys in black armor, more likely the extremists would be the crusaders who killed whole town populations. And it's strange that you can gain prestige working as a simple laborer and buying expensive houses at the same time. In this case the estate owner path to nobility is accurate but the amount of prestige you gain from simple labouring does not fit to that age.
  11. LanceShield

Traits

So far I have gained Loyal, Saintlike, Slim, Open minded, Trustworthy and Bad Supplier. Just doing the mini games of apprentice and praying once a day gave me most good traits. The Slim may be caused by too much praying, because once or twice I forgot if I have done it that day. The bad supplier I think it was caused by travelling in the desert and running out of water. It was only once in many months but it takes a while to gain positive trait. Meanwhile my senile and unbelievable fat companions kick asses like crazy in tournaments. But I never got any bad or good duelist despite winning many of them.
  12. LanceShield

kalarhan said:
    Native behavior is mostly hardcoded.

you can look at Formations code on VC modsys for a way to override it and implement your own custom behaviors. Other kits can be found on OSP section.

Thanx kalarhan I will look at it. I suppose it will be in mission templates
  13. LanceShield

I'm trying to find information about the combat mechanics. I'm using the search function but I can't find in my head a good term for the search. I want to understand troops AI in battles, like how they choose to chase or shoot the nearest enemy, or they stay in formation. For instance. when they are in formation and enemies get nearby the do a short run and then retreat. Or when chasing the player they do some random deviations left or right. I think the latter is somehow new because years ago they just chased in a narrow row. I don't know if this is hardcoded stuff that was changed in the last warband update. Or if there is some mod that I can study to learn.

Thanx for any help
  14. LanceShield

completely Dynamic followers.

I like the idea of random generation. Gameplay wise it would make sense if companions belong to a faction or to a paritcular way of life like banditry or trade. Choosing a companion implies choosing sides and other companions from enemy factions won't join you if you have showed your preferences. Later when player has his own faction, companions would have to make a loyalty check or become enemies. Something like the Right to rule mechanics. The player would have to define himself in recruiting them.
  15. LanceShield

Mod Game Design Q & A

Yes I will try not to write too much.
    Elites should be rare, hard to obtain (restricted recruitment from prisoners), expensive (both upkeep and - especially! - upgrade cost), but without them a mod loses a lot of its charm.
    Exactly, it's the ratio of elites what is wrong. With battlesize of 300 let's say battles are 150 vs 150. If most or all 150 are elites  they are common they have become the norm. What I was trying to say about leadership and tactics is in example in Brytenwalda I remember reading the introduction and being excited about using skirmishers and different tactics, instead of the classical cavalry swarms cavalry wins. But it never was that way, the cavalry elites were replaced by infantry elites and the skirmishers were of no use whatsoever. I'm not saying it's modder's fault because modders do amazing stuff most of the time with what they have, and I'm not saying mount&blade is that bad. It was designed as a role game with small skirmish combats. The scripts were written very simple but effective. However as the modders added content the base of the game showed its faults.

The macedonian phalanx (btw they were low class or peasants like the english longbowmen or the swiss pikemen) was a success not because their sarissas allowed them to steam roll any enemy formation but because it was used combined with other specilized units like companions cavalry and hoplites. I think cavalry kept enemy skirmishers away from the phalanx and the hoplites protected the flanks. If Bannerlord ever gets finished I hope we'll see better combat mechanics with more complex tactics. Right now, it's all about getting the highest tier asap.

About TLD I remember one day the wood elf king was sieging  a gundabad post with 60 troops vs many hundreds, and when the battle began I joined to see the outcome (playing good) . It was a slaughter, orcs butchered non stop. Then playing bad I remember trying to attack a small band of elves with an armoured horse and full gear. Boy, that was funny, the number of times I was knocked out in that game. And I wasn't bad player at all. Tolkien's epicness of countless numbers of orcs and batlles against all odds seemed twisted. The real epic tale was to fight against elves. If I were designing that mod I would go the opposite direction. Orcs would be scary and the bad factions would kick asses. Only true heroes would dare to fight them.

The system I was talking about is in Khamukkamu's signature. It is Realistic Combat Model, I think I tried to use it once with TLD but there were troop changes and the modsys wasn't available then. It always bothered me things like how sword of Mordor had better reach and damage than bastard sword of Mordor despite being one handed but that is what happens when you want some troop  to kick asses and you break the logical system.

Anyway thanx modders for your hard work. I try to do little fixes on my own and I know how much work it takes.
  16. LanceShield

Mod Game Design Q & A

About balancing items In the mods I have played I have noticed the following:
    1.- Modders use to favor certain factions or units above others, their armor, weapons and horses are much better and the player experience usually is heavily influenced by this. However this is a cheaty way to compensate for the lack of proper AI and how bad are skills like leadership and tactics implemented.

2.- If there is something like a logical system to reflect the different weapons capabilities, it is destroyed from the moment a modder starts to add elite units, the elite of the elite units, and the cream of the elite of the elites.... with their respective bad ass equipment.

3.- The bonus to damage from proficiencies and power (strike, draw, throw),  prevents the system to work because with enough bonus any weapon can beat any armor. But sometimes, some units cannot be damaged due to too much armor, or too low enemy weapon damages. The answer to this is of course giving enough bonus damage to every unit which leads to mods where armor is just for decoration. Being killed in one hit or in two hits, that's the choice. Still it's better than invincible player or ridiculously unbalanced units.

In the end, the player has always to resort to spam those uber elites, and the modders have to increase party size and the ratio of elites in AI parties to avoid easy and boring gameplay. This is a never ending cycle because players will find a way to use those elites in their favor, either getting money from their equipment, selling them to slavers, or converting them to their cause.

My advise is:
    Design a complete system and stick to it. The lowest unit tiers should be useful and the highest ones should be within rational parameters. Take into account the bonuses and the reward equipment when designing the system. Find a way to prevent the player to aquire high tier armor and weapons until the late game, and then give him different challenges of a different type like kingdom management or relations. Don't steal his hard work gains making his equipment obsolete. This should be enough for fun playing.

When I played TLD the thing that annoyed me the most was the small maps with annoying borders and obstacles. It was more fun playing evil because to beat the good factions was a real challenge. Morale wasn't a problem because I alternated using  a small cavalry pary, and a huge orc spam. When morale and food were depleted I gave them to another lord.

I think there was a system which was used in 1257 AD, bows damage is minimal, shield are high resistance low hit points etc... That system was the best compromise in my humble opinion.
  17. LanceShield

Traits

When I started I received the bad provisioner trait (I can remember the name now), but after a week or two I have good provisioner trait so it's not a big deal to gain bad traits. I suppose that providing good food and water for the party is enough to gain good trait and other traits will be the same.

I still don't know how to make the companions gaining good traits but I will find out sooner or later
  18. LanceShield

Sword of King Harlaus

Hi I'm just starting to play this mod. I was going to a tournament in Jelkala or Jelkele and I decided to visit the ruins. After several tries I found the chest whith the sword. I thought I could use the sword of Harlaus, but despite saying "two handed/ one handed" when using a shield I could only thrust. After looking with the editor I have changed the flags and now it's a nice bastard sword. Just in case here is the how:

In item_kinds1.txt find the line
    itm_sword_harlaus Sword_of_Harlaus_II Sword_of_Harlaus_II 1  sword_harlaus 0  2251799817883651 9223635920006152432 10000 155668 2.000000 100 0 0 0 3 0 97 0 103 0 288 37

Replace the 9223635920006152432 with 9223635919939043583

About the riddle here is a little spoiler in case someone wants to solve it don't read this:

The riddle was right, but I was confused because from the place where I spawned to the broken bridge there were several trees to my right. Later I realized that there was only one tree on the other side so the riddle had to be readen as if coming from the ruins.
    So far amazing mod, impressive work !!!  :eek: :smile:
Back
Top Bottom