Search results for query: *

1. Agent Griff

So, I bought five new games today...

I had no knowledge Fable 3 is out.  :lol:

Just goes to show how behind I am in terms of stuff.

I was only asking about 360 games because my 360 is hidden away in a mountain valley far-far away from my apartment. That way I won't get to play a lot and it won't interfere with school, college and ****. Better that way. I have my trusty PC at home and I have the internet at home. The internet ultimately beats the **** out of any game in terms of hours I've lost in front of it.

So thus far I appreciate the reviews you've made to these games. I've also been thinking of adding Lost Planet 2 to the list, along with Alan Wake. Anything else? Any Heavy Rain-esque games on the Sex-Box?
  2. Agent Griff

So, I bought five new games today...

Hey guys, I am in the situation of having to decide which Xbox 360 games I'd like to buy in the near future (i.e. next week) and I thought I'd ask you about your opinions.

Thus far I know I want Fallout: New Vegas, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Assassin's Creed 2 (and maybe Brotherhood), Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, Fable 2, Halo: Reach and maybe Left 4 Dead 2.

What other suggestions do you have? I am mainly curious about games which have appeared recently and which you consider are of some worth. The genre is of no importance to my considerations. I am a bit behind the loop in terms of what has appeared in the last months.
  3. Agent Griff

Romania are nevoie de ajutorul vostru

Poate ca intentia nu a fost rea, dar modul de executare da. Alta data incearca sa nu fi atat de turbat impotriva celorlalti ci incearca sa porti o discutie civilizata, cu argumente.

Am fost plecat din tara zilele astea, de aici si tacerea mea.
  4. Agent Griff

MOUNT AND BALDE WARBAND SERVERE !!!

N-ai parinti?
  5. Agent Griff

Traduceri

La dorinta creatorului, acest topic este din nou open for business.
  6. Agent Griff

Idei despre un viitor mod istoric romanesc

Ii lipseste si sticla de rachiu din dotare, sau bautura cu aroma de vodka. :razz:
  7. Agent Griff

Ce melodii ascultăm...

Alexandru_cel_Mare said:
    Soundtrack-ul recent compus de Hans Zimmer pentru Inception este in mod special genial. Cuvantul haunting imi pare cel mai potrivit pentru a il descrie si recomand atat filmul cat si muzica oricui. Oricui.

Ai gusturi faine... am vazut si eu filmul cu vreo doua luni in urma, si da, a fost bun....
    Mi-a placut ideea filmului, realizarea, cu toate acestea, daca  l-as fi facut eu, l-as fi facut un pic mai horror... :grin:

Mi-a placut Inception atat de mult ca l-am vazut la cinema de 5 ori. L-as vedea si o a sasea oara, dar mi-e ca nu mai este pe marile ecrane. Sincer, film care sa ma afecteze ca asta nu a mai fost de o groaza de vreme.

Si cat despre Craig Armstrong, l-as asculta cu mare placere. Pentru ce filme a compus?
  8. Agent Griff

Ce melodii ascultăm...

Eu ascult muzica de toate genurile, insa am o preferinta si o pasiune aparte pentru muzica simfonica si cea clasica. In special melodiile din soundtrack-uri imi plac, si va pot spune ca printre compozitorii mei favoriti se afla Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Howard Shore, Clint Mansell si diversi altii care au compus muzica ce ne incanta urechile in timp ce ne uitam la un film bun.

Soundtrack-ul recent compus de Hans Zimmer pentru Inception este in mod special genial. Cuvantul haunting imi pare cel mai potrivit pentru a il descrie si recomand atat filmul cat si muzica oricui. Oricui.
  9. Agent Griff

Native Enhanced BETA Release

Suntem, suntem, dar eu din pacate abia de pot sa mai arunc un ochi p'aci de scoala. Sunt in clasa a 12a si nu am timp sa postez chiar atat de mult, doar sa supraveghez.
  10. Agent Griff

2010 Blizzard's Global Writing Contest!

So have the results been released yet?
  11. Agent Griff

Were Longbows only used by the English?

Perhaps the fact that French was the language of the noble and the learned in England until the first quarter of the Fifteenth Century does point to the peerage and gentry being somewhat more...cosmopolitan in their fashions and preferences, but all the same, we must not forget the shock that the kings and nobles of England faced after the battle of Bouvines in 1214.

From a nobility which held lands in England and France, very much the epitome of the feudalism you describe, they were reduced to merely kings and lords of England and Gascony for quite some time. The king of England, John, was forced, at least for the moment, to merely be King of England and Gascony, and not king of the Angevin Empire his father, Henry the Second, had forged. This had a profound long term effect on the nobility of England, for it forced them to be merely English earls, English dukes and English kings, despite the language they spoke and the culture they held to be best.

And even if they spoke French, they did not comport themselves in exactly the same way as their continental equals. They had their own type of culture, the result of the intermingling of their original and eclectic roots with what they found in England and the long years in which they coexisted with the Anglo-Saxons. These men were different from both their Gascon subjects (which cannot be called French either, on account of many differences in both their language and their culture) and from the nobility of France.

The One Hundred Years War, however, clearly defined the two sides of the Channel as being different. If before the English nobles were similar to the French in many aspects, both during the war and after it, the differences brought about by years of incessant conflict, killing, ransoming and looting eventually led to the English nobility abandoning French as their language and using Middle English. This can be seen at its best in the tales of Geoffrey Chaucher, who wrote in Middle English and was a nobleman at the same time.

And as for Henry the Seventh being Welsh, well, maybe he was Welsh by way of blood but even then, culturally he was more English than any Welshman. He had to be, if we wanted to rule a country of English nobles. His claim to the throne came from his mother, Margaret Beaufort, after all, and not from his father.
  12. Agent Griff

Knights!

Yeah, most of it isn't that bad really. Sure, for one who knows a great deal about the subject, it might be easy to find flaws within the text, but most of them will be small technicalities that won't even make any difference to the lay-person.

As a base of knowledge it serves its purpose. Besides, I don't know who spent the time to read this. I certainly didn't.
  13. Agent Griff

ajutor!

Of, viata asta reala. Se vede ca a inceput clasa a 12a sa imi ia din timpul de internet.

Odihneasca-se in pace.
  14. Agent Griff

Medieval Romania

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,115768.120.html

Iti recomand acest thread pentru orice idei, nelamuriri sau sugestii legate de un mod romanesc, fie el medieval sau nu. Acolo sunt toate informatiile adunate pana acum si este un loc bun unde ti le poti depozita si tu pe ale tale.
  15. Agent Griff

Knights!

Yes, but their stay was very short. They defended the southern borders of Transylvania for about twelve years before they were enveloped in a conflict of interests with the King of Hungary, after which they were shortly expelled from the kingdom with little thanks for the years they spent there.
  16. Agent Griff

Were glaives widely used in the 12th century?

I was talking about the time after the official Roman withdrawal from Dacia.

Of course that after conquering the kingdom of Decebalus the Romans moved in with two Legions (XIII Gemina and V Macedonica if I'm not mistaken), their own administration and a load of colonists and auxiliaries from all across the Empire. They founded several new cities and refurbished many of the old Dacian holdings, many of the cities founded by the Romans surviving until today as quite prosperous population centres. Hell, Romania's reigning football champions hail from a city the Romans founded.
  17. Agent Griff

Skot the Sanguine said:
    Yeah, it is a Romance language.  That doesn't mean all that much though, look at France and Spain (both heavily settled by invading Germanics and even Moors).  The Goths I mentioned being settled in those lands eventually migrated out (famously) around the time of the Hun invasions...but more people came and settled the area.

Yes, France and Spain were both heavily settled, as opposed to the lands where the Dacians lived. A lot of peoples passed through, yes, but their stay was never long enough that they could have more than a superficial effect on the people living there. Everyone came, stayed a bit, levied some tribute and gifts from the local populace then moved on. The Goths did so, the Huns did so, the various Slav peoples stuck around for a bit more but they still moved on in the end. The only people who joined the party, so to say, were the Pechenegs and the Cumans but they were assimilated with ease and did not have much of an effect on the people living these lands.

Effectively, by the Eighth century, the Dacians had already evolved into the Romanian peoples (the Moldavians, Transylvanians and Wallachians, Romanians all who inhabited different parts of the areas formerly inhabited by the Dacians).

The most effective way through which you can see how much of an influence the various migrating peoples had on the Dacians is by analyzing the provenance of the words in modern-day Romanian. The base stratum of the language, the oldest one basically, is Dacian in nature, with about 200 Dacian words still being used in the Romanian language. The next layer, the main stratum, is Latin. That is where most of the words in Romanian come from, for more than 70% of our words are Latin in provenance. The last stratum, with the newest additions, so to say, is Slavic. 20% of Romanian words come from the Slavs who inhabited these lands from the middle of the Fifth century to 602, when they crossed the border across to modern day Bulgaria, where said Slavs settled permanently and combined with the local people there to form the Bulgarians.

One other factor you are leaving aside is the fact that the Romans conquered basically 30% of the territory resided by the various Dacian kingdoms, conquering only the kingdom of Decebalus in 106 A.D. This left very large areas still inhabited by the Free Dacians and, in 274 A.D. after the Aurelian withdrawal (the Roman abandoning of Dacia with their administration and the legions stationed here retreating to the South, to Moesia Inferior) these Dacians came back in the areas previously held by the Romans and started mingling once more with their kinsmen.

The fact that the Romans left behind a rather sizable Latin influence in these parts is also proved by the many relics found with Latin inscriptions. Latin inscriptions referring to the locals believing in Christianity, no less. Thus, the proof for Daco-Roman continuity in the area near the Carpathian mountains is overwhelmingly strong when compared to the rather weakly-founded accounts of a deserted land. Try and think where those accounts come from and perhaps that will answer your question.
  18. Agent Griff

I haven't the time to properly answer this now but you are still advancing incorrect theories. You are holding on to some antiquated and outright wrong chronicles and accounts so the Roman occupation and the subsequent migrators actually had less of an effect than you seem to believe.

For the moment, I think I shall build my argument step by step and you will help me.

Answer me this, first of all, and we can go on from there. What kind of language is the language spoken by modern day Romanians? Answers are Romance, Slavic, Semitic etc.
  19. Agent Griff

Well, as a potential threat yes. But the people lived on and their descendants still inhabit the same area. And, only a quarter of the territory inhabited by the Dacians was conquered by the Romans. Very large areas remained free and, as a consequence, were populated by the free Dacians who weren't quite as open to Roman influences as their conquered brethren. Hence why it is very possible that the Falx remained in use and popular conscience. The odd thing is that we don't exactly see any illustrations of it or written accounts about it during the Middle Ages. That, I find quite strange.
  20. Agent Griff

Skot the Sanguine said:
    You also have to look at the cultural branch that most influenced medieval Europe.  The Germanic barbarians used the spear prolifically...even their war god(s) Tiwaz and Wotan had the spear as a totem.  The Falx, on the other hand, was used by the Dacians who were essentially wiped out in the time of Hadrian.

What?

Can you explain that rather absurd statement? How were the Dacians wiped out in the time of Hadrian?
Back
Top Bottom