Can someone explain how arrow damage works?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I ve been training my bow skill with a steppe recurve bow. A steppe arrow with 2 piece does 100+ damage when headshot, while, interestingly, blunt arrow with 2 blunt does only 80 something with the same bow. I thought the arrow damage is only stacking with the bow damage and thus arrow stats have little impact. Can someone explain the mechanics here?

It just DOES!
So the blunt changes the damage type, blunt is more effective then pierce the more armor the target has! But on a lightly armored enemy it's not as good! On a head shot you get something like double damage multiplier, so this will further inflate the difference.

I assume you used cheats to get the blunt arrows, well they are very powerful and were removed from stores a long time ago because of it! Against mid tier and higher enemies they become much stronger then pierce arrows!

Last edited:
Here is a good video that talks about everything ranged made by @Strat
I doesn't talk about blunt arrows since they are not acquired normally in the game but it covers a wide spectrum of all things ranged

Yeah I finished every single video in his channel hhhh. They are gold. However, my question remains in damage types and armor stuff. does piece do more damage in headshots? lol

Yeah I finished every single video in his channel hhhh. They are gold. However, my question remains in damage types and armor stuff. does piece do more damage in headshots? lol
Depends on the armor value of the helmet. The lower the armor value is the more damage pierce does and vice verca with blunt.

You should make a test with different armor values and see where the breakpoint is and how much it jumps in damage between the two types of damage.

Depends on the armor value of the helmet. The lower the armor value is the more damage pierce does and vice verca with blunt.

You should make a test with different armor values and see where the breakpoint is and how much it jumps in damage between the two types of damage.
Damn it someone do the test for me HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

From what I can tell, different types of arrows will do more or less damage based on the enemy armor type. So to your question - if they have high armor then pierce should do less damage than blunt since blunt damage ignores most armor reduction. It's interesting though because arrows have damage values between 1 - 4 so you wouldn't think they would change much between each arrow type. I'll have to do some testing specifically for this to confirm though. I'll have the crossbow perks guide ready by tomorrow and there are some headshot data in there from the perk!

From what I can tell, different types of arrows will do more or less damage based on the enemy armor type. So to your question - if they have high armor then pierce should do less damage than blunt since blunt damage ignores most armor reduction. It's interesting though because arrows have damage values between 1 - 4 so you wouldn't think they would change much between each arrow type. I'll have to do some testing specifically for this to confirm though. I'll have the crossbow perks guide ready by tomorrow and there are some headshot data in there from the perk!
OMG isnt that strat himself! I m such a big fan of your video series! Especially the speed run!
BTW, I am now addicted the mod Bannerlord online... you ever tried it out? I found this strange behavior of blunt arrows in that mod as well.

Thanks man, that is really helpful.
However, maybe I m wrong at reading the code, but if bluntDamageFactorByDamageType is 1 for blunt weapons(which make sense), then I don't see a case that other damage types can have higher resulting damage than blunt if the weapon stats are the same.
In fact, if armorEffectiveness is roughly 0(like for a looter), then num should be the same for blunt/pierce/cut according to the code.
In my case steppe arrows have 2 pierce while blunt arrows have 2 blunt

Last edited:
Also, headshots doesnt seem to be the factor.... body shots are also higher for pierce (60~) than blunt(45~) for armorless looters.

OMG isnt that strat himself! I m such a big fan of your video series! Especially the speed run!
BTW, I am now addicted the mod Bannerlord online... you ever tried it out? I found this strange behavior of blunt arrows in that mod as well.
I appreciate the support :grin: I have not tried that mod out yet, but I've seen like 4 - 5 videos of others playing it and it looks really cool!

I know the topic is about arrow damage (I have no idea about that) but I just gotta say, @Strat - I liked your video that was posted above. Don't often appreciate content creators. It was quite informative and well-narrated. I like it when people talk about skill descriptions and their accuracy, how they're advertised vs work and general talk about builds. I don't even play Bannerlord these days but stuff like this might encourage me to.

Off-topic, but did you know on New World (the MMO by the indie team AGS), the bow's "Hunter" skill tree - some of the skill passive percentages aren't what they're advertised to be and are all over the place?

I know the topic is about arrow damage (I have no idea about that) but I just gotta say, @Strat - I liked your video that was posted above. Don't often appreciate content creators. It was quite informative and well-narrated. I like it when people talk about skill descriptions and their accuracy, how they're advertised vs work and general talk about builds. I don't even play Bannerlord these days but stuff like this might encourage me to.

Off-topic, but did you know on New World (the MMO by the indie team AGS), the bow's "Hunter" skill tree - some of the skill passive percentages aren't what they're advertised to be and are all over the place?
Thank you for watching!
It sounds like New World does a little TaleWorlds math too haha :grin: I suspect it has to do with how they implement the bonuses. I'll give you a perfect example - Wage reduction perks. If you look at all wage reduction perks except for 2, they all work the same - You take the base wage from troops, then add up all percentages and subtract the amount afterwards. So if we have 50% total wage reduction and wages are 1000, then we would expect to see 500 wages with bonuses. If you look at roguery perk level 50 deep pockets perk and the trade perk level 150 Content Trades, they do the math very differently. For Roguery, they actually subtract the 20% from the base, so instead of seeing 1000 wages, you see 800, and then you have the 50% applied after for a total of 400. If they all worked the same, it should be 50% + 20% for a total of 70% or 300 wages, so the problem is inconsistent methods for applying their bonuses. The trade perk is the same way, but for 50%.
It sounds like they need someone doing guides for New World... I hear they have a huge player base too :grin:

Back
Top Bottom