Recent content by punkt

1. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's HiRes Textures 2.0 - Download Available - [dec 20]

Titanshoe said:
    Are you still working on this  mod? If so when will there be a new release?

I'm thinking of continue working on the textures in the next couple of months.

I'm currently working on a tool in .NET that will let you download and install different texture packs. As I'm still learning C# and .NET, it may take a while :grin:

See you around.
  2. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's HiRes Textures 2.0 - Download Available - [dec 20]

stethnorun said:
    Awesome work punkt. This along with the Calradia Map Refinement mod are essential downloads, in my opinion. I would say, though, that if the plains texture would be great if it could have the style of the 2.0 version with a bit more green, like in 1.2. 2.0's plains texture is beautiful but it does make the world look like it's going through a prolonged drought :smile:

Thanks... I may release future updates in the future, but for now, I really can't... I prefer to spend my free time outdoors, as much as I can... :smile:
    You are free to use 1.2 plains texture in the 2.0 version if you wish... I don't know how that would look ingame, but you cant try...
    later :smile:
  3. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's HiRes Textures 2.0 - Download Available - [dec 20]

D'Sparil said:
    Have you considered using mipmap fading, like giutekfiutek did?:
    http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,37173.0.html

It would make everything look even better.

I did that in my first texture pack found here, but I won't do that now  :wink:

Kardiophylax said:
    I am looking forward to adding these new campaign/world map textures to my game.  Any new news? 

I didn't finished it, but I'm going to upload what I've done so far. I don't think I'll be finishing it anytime soon, as I am busy with work these days, but this release should satisfy you for now :grin:. Check out the first post for download links and mirrors :smile:

Zaro, If you see this, you can do what you wish with these files :razz:

GetAssista said:
    Now that was truely bright idea!
    Quality stuff, I'm looking forward to the map pack
    Oh, and have you decyphered what determines the color of the shader-generated mountain snow by any chance? Tinkering with it can add the possibility for some interesting effects

I believe you can't change the color of the snow, I think that is hard-coded in the game... The mountain texture contains an alpha channel that is used to draw white snow, but that's it, you can;t change the color... at least I don't know how to do that :smile:
  4. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's HiRes Textures 2.0 - Download Available - [dec 20]

Added new screenshots, see first post for the complete list.

I made a finished mountain texture, it's still a bit greenish I think. It blends in very well with the plains texture. The mountain texture and the plain texture are made from the same 'template'. You can notice this effect here as the snow from the mountains follow the same lines and ridges from the plains texture. I'm still working on the steppe texture because I want to achieve the same thing, and because it seems a little too bright and doesn't blend in too well with the plains and mountains textures... In this batch of screens you can also see a very rudimentary version of the snow texture.

That's it for now, I'm going to release a version as soon as I finish the snow, sand, steppe and ocean textures.
  5. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's HiRes Textures 2.0 - Download Available - [dec 20]

Just a little note here:

I am making this texture pack for the native world map and for modders that wish to use it in their mods. I will not alter the world map in any other way (placing new trees or applying new textures). If you'll use these textures in your mods you'll have to adjust them yourself to suit your needs. I do not offer support for this. I only ask you to give me credit for my original work, the rest is up to you.

Also, while this looks pretty good and realistic (the dots you see there are actually trees seen from the satellite), I may have to remove them or make them appear as grass bushes (as original intended) because they don't fit with the exagerated scale of Mount & Blade world...

Also, normal maps would have been nice :smile: Maybe in M&B 2? :razz:

@buzbybadman: I'll try to make the trees fit better with the textures, thanks for the suggestion :smile:
  6. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's HiRes Textures 2.0 - Download Available - [dec 20]

I think I'll only finish the campaign map textures this time. I don't know yet, I don't have as much free time as I had before, and besides, Zaro did a great job and his textures are great, I don't know if i'll be able to surpass him. :smile:

oh, there he is :grin: sure Zaro
  7. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's HiRes Textures 2.0 - Download Available - [dec 20]

DOWNLOAD LINKS AND INFO: Here is what I've done so far. I don't think I'll finish this anytime soon, so I'll release it now. Please backup your Textures folder before installing! Unpack the release.zip file and copy desert.dds, map_steppe.dds, plain.dds and mountain.dds in your Textures...
  8. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

Heteroi said:
    It's great!
    I have translated & posted it to Chinese site.  :grin:
    http://bbs.mountblade.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=25106&extra=page%3D1

lol thanks, though I didn't understand a word there :razz:

Anyway... I'm pretty much done with this texture pack, no more changes to be done unless you spot some problems or M&B 1.0 is released (maybe they'll add more texture variety).

What comes next?

- Resampled versions of this pack for higher performance (smaller texture sizes) - 90% probability  that this will be done
    - Recolored versions of this pack (more colorfull or less colorfull - I kinda like what Ursca did for the Warhammer Mod) - 70% probability that this will be done
    - Themed texture packs which will render the entire world as an endless desert or an unwelcoming frozen wasteland - 30% probability that this will be done

Aaand... that's it :grin:
    I hope you'll enjoy using these textures as I enjoyed making them.
    See you soon.

p.s.: oh I almost forgot: I'll set up a small website for this texture pack in the near future, I would like to receive the name of the mods that are using my textures so I can list them there. If you use my textures (even if you modify them) please send me a PM with the name of the mod and a link to your homepage / forum thread.
    Thanks!
  9. mods currently in development and .95x compatible publicly released mods

Please add
    Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack
    Two-part modification that replaces all campaign map and battle map textures with higher resolution versions.
    (released and final version)

Thanks.
  10. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

VERSION 1.2 AVAILABLE!

:: Changes & Fixes ::

Campaign Map:
      - Fixed ocean LOD texture

Battle Map:
      - Reduced texture 'sunlight reflection' trick for grass textures
      - Changed grass LOD textures
      - Changed forest LOD textures
      - Remade dry grass texture
      - Remade cliff & stone textures

Download Page
  11. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

^ LOL

A simple mention in your readme / topic / download page would have sufficed, but thanks :grin:
    Also download the new version. It will fix that pattern you see on your map :wink:

Textures work great for campaign map ,  I suppose you fix the problem that square looking of textures while zooming out with reflecting sky on the ground. But this thrick is doing same thing for battlemaps too, battlemap textures looks a bit weird,look like they are shining. So if you fix this problem too , you would do a perfect work.I dont have enough knowledge about modding, maybe I'm mistaken.

I already fixed some of the textures (changed the cliffs & dry grass completely) but i'll publish them in the next release. I hope that will be soon.
  12. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

Scorch! said:
    Sorry puntk, i'm not trying to have a dig at you.

i believe you, though they do look similar :wink:

Who knows? Maybe Qarl used the same image source as me :razz: (that would be Google Images :grin:)
  13. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

No, those textures aren't based off any game or any other texture pack;
    The only textures I've used from a game were 2 cliff textures taken from Crysis.

The blood textures and other additions will be released as a separate pack soon.

Also I noticed that the ocean texture has a small error (you can also see it in the screenshots), that will be fixed in another release.
  14. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

VERSION 1.1 IS NOW LIVE!
    Click here to view the new screenshots or download the files.

Oddball_E8 said:
    i think the reason there are no performance issues despite the size of the textures has something to do with the way you "pack" them as .dds files

because when i tred the recoloured versions made by zaro in 1024 size i experienced alot of stutter... and some of his files were larger than yours despite the smaller pixel size...

Well, I used the Adobe Photoshop Plugins from nVidia for loading and saving dds files. I didn't use Photoshop for the actual editing, but Jasc Paint Shop pro 9 (now Paint Shop Pro is owned by Corel and it sucks. Jasc PSP9 was the best of it's series). The photoshop plugin works with paint shop pro.

15. OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

New version comming soon!

Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.1 will include:

Improved texture tiling when viewing the world at a great distance.
    The campaign map textures are great when your camera is near the ground, but when you raise your view and look at the map from the sky, an ugly pattern appears as the texture repeats itself across the world. Version 1.1 will fix this and make the world map look great when viewed from the sky.

Ocean reflection simulation on world map.
    By adding an transparency channel to the ocean texture I was able to create the illusion of water reflecting the sky. The water is not actually reflecting the sky, but it is transparent and you can see the sky sphere surrounding the world map and thus giving the illusion of the ocean reflecting the clouds.

Other texture improvements like sand and snow reflecting sunlight. This is also a simulation and the effect is subtle but it looks great.

:: FEEDBACK ::
    Performance results from users were favorable, meaning that the texture pack didn't cause any FPS problems. At least that I know of.
    If you have any problems or bugs to report, please send me a PM.

The new textures are finished but require additional tunning, and will be released probabilly tomorrow along with a new line of screenshots.

See you soon.
Back
Top Bottom