Recent content by HolyOne

1. Bug Reports - 0.95pre10

Count Roland said:
    I found a nice bug: When i have to save the town from bandits, the last bandit stucked deep in the wall and i couldn't kill him and a couldn't leave the town.

Walk out of the town, leave the area, and when you return, you get to complete the quest.
  2. Fix for some crashes... NOT A BUG THREAD - READ 1st POST

It also works with 2gb RAM, so thx for this workaround! I set VM 2gb for both partition and I did not have a CTD. Without the workaround I crashed after 2-3 battle scenes. Now, although, it's not very fast and the HDD ticks like hell, but at least I can finish battles.
  3. Eastern Europe/Mongol Factions

NikeBG said:
    Smaller parts of them settled in other regions as well, most notably Armenia, Pannonia (Hungary) and Italy, but eventually became assimilated into the locals.
    There were no Bulgarians in Pannonia, since Charlemagne it was part of the empire, and after they lost their influence, Moravian people moved in. They became later Czech. Hence their theory of greater Moravia, which was even used as a claim in the peace conferences after WWI. There might have been Bulgarians in Transylvania (geographical proximity), but not in Pannonia.

Edit: And I also find Italy unlikely, since that's even further away.
  4. Eastern Europe/Mongol Factions

othr said:
    I was talking about the size of those empires, a Balkan 'empire' is barely the size of a country with a population of around 30 million people.  I was merely curious why is it that most Balkan states went through this empire phase.

Anyway, it's not important.  I was able to find plenty of information on Bulgarian settlements and had very little luck with Serb stuff and as you can see it's not very accurate.

We usually associate something big and powerful with the term "empire" like the Roman, Byzantine, the British, etc. In this case, I think the term empire goes for the title of the rulers: emperor->empire. Just like in the rest of Europe goes king->kingdom. The balkan rulers (also Russians) often called themselves tzars, which is the equivalent of emperor. This title also assumes the rulers' total authority over their subjects, something that never happened in Western Feudal states, only later, when absolutism appeared
  5. Relics Guide to the Teutonic Vassalage

I have tannery in Gdansk. Obviously the ironworks didn't worth it.
  6. Relics Guide to the Teutonic Vassalage

Nice tutorial for beginners, not just for the teutons, but any other faction. Although the teutons are indeed very difficult for any fresh character.

I would add to the opening businesses part, that I open businesses as money comes along, that way, my income keeps growing steadily. Also I prefer businesses, where no menial delivery duties are involved. You mentioned cheap iron in Poland, Paris, etc. Those cities also happen to be poor in tool manufacturing, so why not open the business there? You don't need to taxi resources and you still get the 600 denar income. I always look for cheap raw materials in the goods market when deciding what business to open, as it usually turns good profit. Central and Western Europe mostly needs ironworks, the Eastern needs tannery, in my experience. Be careful opening dyeworks, as most of the time it promises 1000+ income, but you need the raw materials to do so. If there are no such materials [dyes, silk] present in the city by default, you probably don't want to open the business. I did that in Elbing, and instead of 1000 profit, it ran on barely 40 income, or even a deficit: there were no caravans, probably, where it could buy materials. Open dyeworks if there are no other business in the city offering real profit [500+]. If you happen to raid caravans or villages, stock the raw materials in your businesses, it turns a real profit, as acquiring them cost you nothing, contrary to buying and stocking, which don't show up in the budget report.
    One more important thing! To raise quickly money, you might want to visit the Lithuanian cities with a couple of grands. In the beginning of the game they might not be at war [to me, war happened later]. One of the cities offer spices for 500-600. [which is crazy, and historically inaccurate, but you might want to take advantage of this probably early stage flaw] You can't find another city that buys spices under 800,
  7. Continental Europe Factions (France, HRE, Hungary, Poland, Teutonic Order)

Euro-Slovak said:
    There should be the Castle of Bratislava where Bratislava stands currently

Actually there is a city: Pozsony
  8. General suggestions thread.

Vlejundo said:
    I do have small suggestion regarding Tournaments, as in my opinion, the awarded exp rates are unbalanced..

It appears, that Veteran Fighters give 50 exp, whereas other heavily armored units, such as knights, and their equivalents in other troop trees, only give 28 exp. Add to that, that defeating Companions such as Nasir, (knight, lvl21) only gives 18exp.

My suggestion would be:
        -lower exp for Veteran Fighters
        -more exp for Companions

Companion XP depend on their level. Other than that I agree: A regular/veteran fighter shouldn't net more XP than a noble like knights, etc. (Or should they participate at all?)
  9. General suggestions thread.

Could you make the inventory and party screens accessible during sieges? (like in Prophecy of Pendor)
    There's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to upgrade/rearrange your troops or pick your equipment prior to the assault. Also, it is quite frustrating to find out, that I forgot to switch to arrows, after I built that siege tower.
  10. Continental Europe Factions (France, HRE, Hungary, Poland, Teutonic Order)

Marko said:
    1. I would very much like to see Zadar, Knin and maybe Dubrovnik. Why? They had a great influence (especially Zadar) on Croatian and Hungarian economy and politics.

I agree, but the map is not finished yet, for example, there is no Venice (city and/or faction). And the Dalmatian coast was constantly a source of conflict between Hungary and Venice. Zadar changed possession many times too, and I think it was Venetian in the time of the scenario, just like Split.
    You could help the modders by researching these cities/castles/villages, nobles, their heraldry.
  11. Fighting

Shyoto said:
    May I refer you to the events near Azincourt in the year 1415?

Agincourt might not be the best example in this case. As far as i know, the french knights dismounted before the battle and charged on foot, as the field was damp from the heavy rains in the days before.
  12. Mongol archers overpowered? o.0

Hellzer said:
    I remember i changed some things there to increase arrows capacity. Maybe I increased mongol arrows damage? :S

And yet, you start a topic, complaining about arrow damage. Let me say this:

Congratulations!
  13. Mongol archers overpowered? o.0

My experience differs, I found the mongols too weak. If you have a decent number of cavalry, you can slay them on the field pretty easily, as they are lightly armored and barely have armored horses. S with 1 hit you kill either the horse or the rider. And a mongol infantry is more useless than the light cavalry. Their only strength is if they can overwhelm you in numbers, that you have a serious "battle disadvantage".
    They are also pretty useless in sieges. I defended in a number of sieges against them (2-3 times at Krakow and once at Halych) and was successful even against superior numbers. A few armored troops can hold the wall access, as they are lightly armored and die easily, while heavy armored troops are virtually invincible. Also, due to their light armor, they are very vulnerable to (even the badly tweaked) ranged attacks. 1 shot, 1 kill for most of the time. I only needed to take care of their few armored troops to avoid trouble, because they could do serious damage to the melee troops, but even they died in 3-4 shots.
    I didn't experience that horrific arrow damage either. For most of the time I got 0 damage from their arrows, but when they did hurt me it was around 10-20, nothing serious. All I had to be careful about in the sieges, that I don't expose myself too much. I only lost a siege, when I got injured, so that I could not join the next assault personally, this time the auto-battle-calculator-**** took care of the mongol victory.
  14. North Africa, Middle East and Minor Asia

Cèsar de Quart said:
    sogaV said:
    othr said:
    Great stuff, that's the other missing piece of information I need.  What towns/villages/castles did the Byzantines hold?
    I found a map with some cities of Byzantine empire(But i do not know if these are villages,castles or cities.The may be anything bettween these 3)
    The map:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ShepherdByzempire1265.jpg

You can find information and for other factions from this map.But i will search for more information.

They are all big towns in that map.

At 1257, there are three Byzantine Empires: the Empire of Nikaia, the Despotate of Epirus and the Empire of Trapezounta. I think in 1257, Nikaia still had not conquered Thessalonike from Epirus.

There were also the Frankish and Latin duchies, counties and principalities in Greece, mainly the Duchy of Athens, the Duchy of Achaia, the Venetian Negroponte (Euboea), and I think that also the Principality of Thessaly was still alive. I guess that the Kingdom of Thessalonike had already been conquered by Epirus.

A mess, to say it plainly. I don't know what are you gonna do with your policy of keeping small factions out of the game, because the entire Balkans and Anatolia is full of small factions. Even the "Seljuk Turks" domain in Anatolia is scattered in tens of small kingdoms.

Take care!

Perhaps the Empire should be split up to 2 factions right at the start: the Empire itself, and its rebel faction (Latin Kingdoms etc. to put it in game terms).  There could be still accurate lords with coat of arms and fiefs. This would also determine the "foreign policy" of the kingdoms and the Empire would be united, one way or the other.  :grin:

Although there is still the problem, that there would be more than one rebel factions needed, which is highly unlikely to be supported by the game.

It seems some kind of compromise is needed.
  15. Recruitment idea

Mooncabbage said:
    "Press" is like conscription. Rather than recruiting for volunteers, you essentially kidnap the men you need and "press" them into service. I'm not sure I've ever heard of conscription being done this way on land, but it was common in the 18th and 19th century for navies, especially the British Navy. A "Press Gang" would get you drunk, or find you in an alley, and knock you out. When you woke up you'd be on a ship and out to sea with no chance of escape.

You could have "conscript recruits" added to towns and villages you own perhaps?

It was used in land, too. Mostly in the 17-18-19th century, with the appearance of regular armies, which had huge need for manpower. It was used at least in Habsburg territories. They were basically capturing young men under the term conscription, and if they caught you, you were most likely to spend the next 10-20 years in the army, or hunted for desertion.
Back
Top Bottom