Bannerlord was a grift

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure that Taleworlds are technically able to develop, for example, Another Faction DLC, but it will be more of the unexciting same. It's better if they all move to something completely new, like their space game, and leave a skeleton crew to fix bugs and improve performance.

Paradox games have tons of DLC's and nearly every single one of them is made based on community feedback. They based it, either on asked features from their forums, or on whats popular in the workshop. They dont have to be creative - at all, just recreate whats popular.

Pff. MadVader, I am sorry. As I was writing the above I saw the error in my ways. They're neither creative nor are they able to recreate whats popular..

Pff. MadVader, I am sorry. As I was writing the above I saw the error in my ways. They're neither creative nor are they able to recreate whats popular..
I'm glad you are repentant, but hope you won't delete your account today. Sleep over it.
Taleworlds has a poor record of recreating what's popular, they are idea-resistant to great degree for some reason and that's also underscored by their poor forum involvement. I really hope I'm wrong here, but that doesn't happen often.
Why Paradox can and Taleworlds can't do this is beyond me. Maybe their idea people are vain, who knows.

Why Paradox can and Taleworlds can't do this is beyond me. Maybe their idea people are vain, who knows.

Its also incredible short-sighted. There is real money in DLC's. Every game company working with Paradox found this out and jumped aboard. Cities Skylines hires modders to create "Content Creator Packs" which sell for €8,- or something. They prolonge the life immensely and also create great replayability. Which is what you want from a Bannerlord type of game.

Its penny wise pound foolish to nonchalantly think that modders wil do it for free. I mean, they probably will, but TW would be missing the gravy train.

I just hope that if they release DLC's, they wont release EA versions of them.

Cities Skylines dlcs are mostly piecemeal garbage that actively hurts the game. Same with EU4 and other mainline paradox games. When you have a dynamic open game like that but make it so modular, it ruins the ability of different systems to interact. It would be the same in Bannerlord. Imagine if they had a sea warfare dlc but had to simultaneously integrate and exclude it from the rest of the game, because not everyone will buy it. Imagine an elephants dlc that has to simultaneously be segregated and integrated into the game. Within this framework you can never have more than detachable gimmicks that only work on their own and don't impact the game much.

Taleworlds probably does know DLC will sell, but I don't think they consider it worth the additional effort when they've got their hands full—presumably for the foreseeable future—with (base) Bannerlord.

Gifting copies of BL to your entire clan during EA seems premature with the benefit of hindsight. He probably needs aspirin for his blood pressure.
I don’t know how you go from “a friend bought me the game” to “you are buying copies of the early access game to all your friends!!!” That’s a pretty big jump but, hey, you do you. Go off king!

@bonerstorm ya know I probably agree with you with the general evaluation of the game (for the most part at least), and yet all this talk about redpill and blackpill comes across as ridiculous.

You are not discovering the Matrix, you just don't like the game. The rhetoric seems excessive.
This is just standard current-day meme-speak, with specific connotations that would be understood by most of the audience and would be generally lost in the King's English. (EDIT: typo)

Redpill means someone who realizes that there's a serious problem and want to fix it (revolutionary). Blackpill means someone who also believes a problem exists, but believes that there is generally little to no hope that it can be fixed (nihilist). Whitepills believe that a problem exists, but is certain that it will be fixed - either through fixing itself or from efforts already underway. Bluepills believe there is no problem.
He was issued warnings by another mod shortly after making those posts. Targeting one particular user with bogus accusations is considered harassment by mod staff, so there ya go.
Thanks for the follow-up! Sorry for being a prat.
I'd say 1 needs a lot of qualifying.
I was setting up #1 as a reiteration of something I thought you'd said earlier, to negate it with #2 by pointing out that - in general - while the polls have a large enough N to be usable, the sample is obviously biased on multiple
Further, 3b is reductive. Players who are optimistic can still be critical of the current state of the game, or at least not blind to it.
To clarify, that's my anecdotal experience from interacting with fans on Reddit and Steam - who tend to talk in outright fantastical terms about what the end-result game is going to look like (for instance, talking up features that aren't on the roadmap or expecting full conversion mods shortly after release). Again speaking anecdotally, when confronted with the truth (usually quotes from devs themselves): 70% of these fantasists get furious at the messenger and 30% get depressed as their hopes are crushed.
Yes, we can. Progress has been consistent, consistently slow that is. Which is still a problem worthy of complaining about. Just because something is consistent does not mean we cannot complain about it.
THIS. If patches had been less frequent, then we could fool ourselves into believing that massive progress is happening just behind the curtain. As it stands, we have regularly slow progress - mostly focused on things that nobody cares about, like tweaks to specific equipment items or "new features" like barbers.

IDK about y'all, but I never asked for rebellions and I haven't been stoked enough by it to actually boot the game up again. Other things, like jailbreaks, took over a year and honestly should have been in the base release - we're still behind on features that were in Warband and VC.
Because even the game's harshest critics still want it to end up as good game. They paid for it, after all.
Viking Conquest was probably one of my favorite games of all time. If BannerLord had shipped as promised, then it would easily by my #1.

If it shipped TOMORROW with just the features that were in Viking Conquest, then there's no game on the planet that could compare (for me).

YES: I'm not here complaining because I want the game to suck. I'm complaining because I want it to not suck... and because TW doesn't have any competitors offering a meaningful alternative.
This also means they lack the creativity and the drive to create interesting DLCs and those are best outsourced to third parties with fresh ideas and motivation, which could be modder groups or small studios that have done similar work in the past and are familiar with the game.
Definitely this. VC was good because it was a labor of love which TW didn't have any part of.
Yeah. It's pretty mystifying.

I do creative work IRL and - dirty secret - 90% of all creative work across all sectors is Cut + Paste. The fact that TW can't even copy its own game - just swapping the entire quest list over wholesale, for instance - when making a sequel to it is kind of bizarre.

Last edited:
This is just standard current-day meme-speak, with specific connotations that would be understood by most of the audience and generally in the King's English.

Redpill means someone who realizes that there's a serious problem and want to fix it (revolutionary). Blackpill means someone who also believes a problem exists, but believes that there is generally little to no hope that it can be fixed (nihilist). Whitepills believe that a problem exists, but is certain that it will be fixed - either through fixing itself or from efforts already underway. Bluepills believe there is no problem.

I know what it means. I am just telling you that I find it ridiculous and something that does very little to support your arguments. I have a hard time taking anything that is being said through that language seriously.

This is just standard current-day meme-speak, with specific connotations that would be understood by most of the audience and generally in the King's English.

WHAT you mean I'm still stuck in the MATRIX? All these pills are a GRIFT! ???

I know what it means. I am just telling you that I find it ridiculous and something that does very little to support your arguments. I have a hard time taking anything that is being said through that language seriously.
I mean... that's just like... your opinion, man.

But also I have a hard time taking anything said about Bannerlord seriously, because the development was obviously not led by serious people. I'm a megafan and I haven't been able to get it up enough to even download the game in... what? Half a year?

Like a month ago I looked at the patchnotes and then at the state of my favorite mods, then opted for replaying State of Decay instead.

It was a good decision. I actually had fun. No 2 dozen mods necessary.

I also played Kingmaker which, despite being a legendarily buggy mess, was also surprisingly playable with only TWO mods.

Whoah... just... whoah. A sandbox RPG that can be played with mods numbering in the single digits? Will wonders never cease?

I mean... that's just like... your opinion, man.

the-dude-lebowski.gif

I am looking forward to Medieval Dinasty being released officially myself. I have already written off Bannerlord as something that can maybe be fixed by mods. It's not that TW can't do it, but rather they don't want to. And objectively speaking they are right, the game is a commercial success and had moderately good reviews, why would they put in the extra work to appease a minority of hardcore fans.

the-dude-lebowski.gif

I am looking forward to Medieval Dinasty being released officially myself. I have already written off Bannerlord as something that can maybe be fixed by mods. It's not that TW can't do it, but rather they don't want to. And objectively speaking they are right, the game is a commercial success and had moderately good reviews, why would they put in the extra work to appease a minority of hardcore fans.
Well, I think that sums up my beliefs quite a bit. Couldn’t have said it better myself, aside from medieval dynasty, no idea what that is. Suppose I’ll check it out.

Well, I think that sums up my beliefs quite a bit. Couldn’t have said it better myself, aside from medieval dynasty, no idea what that is. Suppose I’ll check it out.
It's a completely different beast from Mount and Blade and I was skeptical at first, but I enjoyed it. I stopped playing it because I didn't want to spoil it before it was fully released (which is happening in two days by the way, so there will be a price increase there I think).

And that's another thing about EA, even if the game is good you might burn out on it before you get to experience the finished product.

Inb4 Bannerlord releases with an 80 dollar full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom