Movie Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Jesus of Nazareth from 1977 is a TV miniseries about the life - birth and death - of Jesus.
It can however also be watched as a 6+ hour long film, which I did.
It's filled with great actors and good scenes. Some of it is a bit too pompous and pretentious, but it is literally about a god, so that's forgiven.

Chaos Walking is excruciatingly bad. A waste of time. The story is uneventful with twists that are too obvious.
The "noise" gimmick never really gets interesting. And visually it's more dreary than a concrete bunker.

Following the 1977 Jesus of Nazareth series (after quite a while) was the Anno Domini miniseries (1985), set during the aftermath of Jesus' death and early days of the Christian Church.
It is rather romanticized but surprisingly historically accurate (unlike most other Christian movies and series about this era, unfortunately). The portrayal of Roman emperors and general politics is very good for its time; I've watched it quite a lot when I was young.

Funny how it looks like a direct sequel, even using many of the same props, with similar cinematography and story-telling.
I've only watched about 2 hours. It's really slow paced. Not sure I'll be watching it all. Was looking forward to seeing Ava Gardner, though :sad:
The score is by Lalo Schifrin. Nice :smile:

I've got a few good recommendations, or so I think they are good. They will not be any order.
  • Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut!)
  • The Lord of the Rings (Extended Editions)
  • Byzantium
  • Dogma
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Serenity
  • The Mummy
  • Jesus of Nazareth
  • The Blue Lagoon
  • Walk the Line
  • Letters from Iwo Jima
  • Schindler's List
  • Dunkirk
  • Gladiator
  • Black Hawk Down
  • Lawrence Of Arabia
  • The Last Of The Mohicans
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
  • The King
  • 12 Years a Slave
  • The Duelists (1977)
  • Alien
  • Passion of the Christ
  • Gods and Generals
  • Apollo 13
  • Gettysburg
  • Gallipoli
  • Empire of the Sun
  • Tears of the Sun
  • Man on Fire (?)
  • Waterloo
That's really all I can recall right now. I've got a large list of good shows, too, but I'll leave that for when or if a thread begins for it.

Yea, it is the one from the 80s. The sequels are pretty garbage so I wouldn't really recommend them at all.
Unsupervised teens getting it on in the 80s? It's a funny choice, even stranger than @Adorno being a fan of Twilight apparently. :grin:
Maybe Kristen Stewart has the range of expressions he's comfortable with. :razz:
I know mocking someone's taste is not really nice, but who wants to read random lists that are impersonal.

The Underworld series is great! I especially love the one with Rhona Mitra in it, probably my favorite in the series. Which makes me remember another good movie...Doomsday! :lol:

Unsupervised teens getting it on in the 80s? It's a funny choice, even stranger than @Adorno being a fan of Twilight apparently. :grin:
Maybe Kristen Stewart has the range of expressions he's comfortable with. :razz:
I know mocking someone's taste is not really nice, but who wants to read random lists that are impersonal.

It's more that I like it because of the cinematography and the overall performances of the actors. The subject is interesting too, a little, though I think we could have done without it being two cousins. lol Well, either way, I think it's a beautifully shot film, even if I disagree with the other subject matter portrayed in the film. ?

I'm pretty sure you could find Pacific War movies with nice exotic shots too and without teen incest, but to each his own. :smile:
@Adorno
I have the Underworld series as guilty pleasures too, purely for the gothic esthetic and the chick with a large pretty head in latex (I would have to drink to be able to watch the later sequels).
But Twilight? Maybe it came out when you were after someone IRL, so those feelings are associated with the movie. Weird movie choices have some personal reason behind them.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you could find Pacific War movies with nice exotic shots too and without teen incest, but to each his own. :smile:

That's true, there are many films out there with great cinematography, but I don't think that means The Blue Lagoon can't offer something, even if it didn't something wrong or completely bizarre/taboo/creepy. I can see the wrong with it, and the good. So whilst the teenage incest is definitely not the reason why I enjoy the cinematography of the film and I certainly condone it, I still think despite it had its merits outside of those issues. :smile:

The Tomorrow War is basically a big budget B-movie, filled with clichés. I think "saving the world" is mentioned at least 3 times.
It's also wildly confusing, with silly scenes. Had it been worse, it might have been fun, but instead it's just a mediocre waste of time.
At one point it really made me appreciate the brilliance of Alien.

Black Widow has a few funny scenes and twists, but is otherwise an uninteresting film.
(Weisz is 14 years older than Johansson but plays her mother. That feels weird, especially when Weisz looks younger than her age)

Cruella is boring. The characters are cartoonish and flat, and the story too plain to be interesting.

Last edited:
Beyond Black Widow, the only other movie I watched recently was A Quiet Place II. It was nothing like the original and there were many frustrating things the characters did that made no sense at all, but overall it was an okay sequel. If there is to be a third film, I hope it digs deeper into the creatures. I don't know how they could pull that off, though.

Black Widow has a few funny scenes and twists, but is otherwise an uninteresting film.
(Weisz is 14 years older than Johansson but plays her mother. That's feels weird, especially when Weisz looks younger than her age)

I agree entirely.

It had some moments--all of which I think rested on the shoulders of Red Guardian and Yelena, and the hand-to-hand combat scenes--but otherwise is was very uninteresting. It took 1:30 minutes for the plot to even move towards its goal. It was 2 hours of nothingness. Of all the things they could have done for Black Widow (uh, 2016 comic run story?) this was what they went for as her "send off". Not only that, Natasha had some really big clichés written in for her character that I didn't like at all.

It's not a bad movie of course, but I definitely wouldn't watch it again...at least not for many years. I am excited for Yelena moving into the MCU though. At least there's that. :unsure:

(Though it did make me want to re-watch WandaVision. Now that was good.)

I recently re-watched the Twilight series. The first two are actually good, simple and straightforward love stories.

I liked CODA, a wholesome, soul-pleasing and overall nice movie.

In the needlessly contrarian corner, I absolutely hated every minute of the critics' darling Nomadland. What a ****ing hollow, pseud snoozefest.

I also really liked CODA. The acting was really well down, and the characters didn't seem unrealistic at all. It actually reminded me a bit of Children of a Lesser God, which I found out later has the same actress in it. Now that movie had some top-notch performances in it.

... simple and straightforward love stories.
A 17 yo girl falling in love with a 100 year old, immortal being. Pretty simple.

I watched V for Vendetta for the first time recently. I know everyone has seen it, and I see why.
It has aged fine and it's a good story. The extreme Stockholm syndrome torture thing is pretty disturbing, though.

Zone 414 is like a cheap knockoff of Blade Runner, without all the things that makes BR great.
The story is not without qualities, but unoriginal and too simple to be really interesting.
Might have worked as a short film, but at feature length it's just a tedious sci-fi cliché, with mediocre acting at best.

Jolt made me sad there is no new Underworld film on the horizon. Instead Beckinsale wastes her talent (and physique) on this crap.

Watched the opening scene (the diner) of Gunpowder Milkshake. It's a sad Tarantino pastiche where nothing works.
The scene is goofy, the acting is stiff and what is supposed to be cool is just dumb.

Back
Top Bottom