TaleWorlds, We Need a New Mexxico

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm pretty sure over half of these people have played FAR too long to even consider refunding it. Also Like what Qwerrecd42 said, or well pasted, we were lead to believe that we would help with the development of the game. That there would be communication between consumer and dev.

And yes, we don't like this game. At least I don't, but I like the idea and style of it. So we're here to either try to help and improve this game or watch it crash further into a greater ball of fire.

And sure. Maybe. MAYBE, the devs have better things to do then read our complaints. Yet they had a year to read some of the most famous threads in this forum, those that been here since the beginning, that offered suggestions to improve this game. And they were ignored. And if they aren't improving this game, what are they doing?
Ah. So the game is good enough to play it for several hours? ^^

On the one hand the game is based on an idea and style you like, but on the other hand you don't like the game? That's confusing, to say the least. Maybe I misunderstood you, because this would be ambivalent and incoherent, wouldn't it?

Did I get this right? An entire group of players who did not refund the game and deliberately played it for many hours to the point they cannot refund it on Steam/gog.com, right? Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but this means to them the game was good enough to spend the 40-50$ on it during Early Access. Nobody forced them to buy the game during early access, right? They could have waited for the "full release", read reviews, watch gameplay videos and then decide to buy it or not, but they chose to spend money on it and not refund it after 2 hours, right? The said group obviously read what early access means, as they quote the TaleWorlds' definition of early access on this thread.

My asumptions: Maybe they did not understand what they read, could it be? Maybe they were impatient and payed the price for it. Maybe they made the wrong decision by spending money and time on an unfinished videogame and now they are unable to deal with the consequences.

On the one hand the game is based on an idea and style you like, but on the other hand you don't like the game? That's confusing, to say the least. Maybe I misunderstood you, because this would be ambivalent and incoherent, wouldn't it?

Did I get this right? An entire group of players who did not refund the game and deliberately played it for many hours to the point they cannot refund it on Steam/gog.com, right?
2 hours is the refund limit... 2 hours is not many hours and it is no where near enough to start realising the boringness of the game.

I'd suggest you take two hours to read through some of the popular threads on this forum that will explain to you in detail all the major issues and flaws with the game and it's development, it will be a lot more informative than your reddit pictures.

You also seem to believe the game being unique somehow means it has to be good, that makes quite literally no sense.

It's both a misunderstanding and not a great expression of feelings of some members.

I have closely followed the development of player feedback over the past 2 years (as a moderator it also became concequencial to me remembering user posting habits) , and i can say with certainty that the vast majority was hyped before early access, and as EA went on for a year, the users with the most positivity, quality suggestions and feedback either left the forums completely (the most unfortunate thing for a game like this) or started slowly adjusting their previous optimism and positive attitude to the grim reality, or how some would call it, complaining.

When myself and many others were complaining during the MP beta, and at the start of EA, pointing to specific problems in the game and giving concrete suggestions, we were "haters and whiners".
I gave up complaining long ago (and also suggesting to a degree), because we went past the moment to change certain design decisions, only some small tinkerings that won't make any difference to the overall game feel, both SP and MP part.

Now i see many users that were bashing us "haters" back then, giving the old platitude "that's what early access means", started having the same opinions us "haters" had back then, only now it is too late for complaining, and back then it wasn't (one could argue that it was always futile from this standpoint, but there were honorable exceptions where complaining did come to fruition, and for those i am grateful).

Nobody that loves this franchise wants to refund this game, we all want to play it and enjoy it, but alas, this one IMO had gone a tad bit sideways compared to the previous titles' design.
To those that do enjoy the Native as it is now, more power to them, and i honestly envy them.

2 hours is the refund limit... 2 hours is not many hours and it is no where near enough to start realising the boringness of the game.

I'd suggest you take two hours to read through some of the popular threads on this forum that will explain to you in detail all the major issues and flaws with the game and it's development, it will be a lot more informative than your reddit pictures.

You also seem to believe the game being unique somehow means it has to be good, that makes quite literally no sense.
Why should I read old forum posts when I can play the game and check out what works and doesn't in person?

I'm sorry, but I don't get the Reddit jokes/references. I don't use Reddit and always thought it was pretty dead. Is there Bannerlord content on Reddit or only some memes? I thought it was something for old people, like Facebook, you know.

Why should a developer waste his time and listen to complains daily? A videogame developer during a global pandemic has more important thinks to worry about than a costumer who does not understand the concept of "Early Access" - EARLY access to an unfinished project, ACCESS to one single product is not the same as ownership over the developement process or the developer's life. If you don't like the game, refund it on Steam/GOG. It's judt a game, guys, so if you don't like it, quit and refund it. Nobody forced you to spend your money on it. Less talking, more gaming!
Anyone who still defends the EA concept by now is living in a fantasy world. And let me help you get back to reality by telling you that the complaints are a result of the incompetence of the developers. If they had done their job just a little better, we wouldn't be dealing with so much toxicity and complaints on a daily basis. And yes you're right, it is just a game. However, it is a very bad game and the developers make it seem as if they do not care about it much. Besides that, your argument for refund is also invalid for 99% of people here since they exceeded the two hour limit.

Why should I read old forum posts when I can play the game and check out what works and doesn't in person?

I'm sorry, but I don't get the Reddit jokes/references. I don't use Reddit and always thought it was pretty dead. Is there Bannerlord content on Reddit or only some memes? I thought it was something for old people, like Facebook, you know.

If you are not going to make the effort to understand why most forumites are disgruntled with the game, why would theytake the time to explain our position to you?

Anyone who still defends the EA concept by now is living in a fantasy world. And let me help you get back to reality by telling you that the complaints are a result of the incompetence of the developers. If they had done their job just a little better, we wouldn't be dealing with so much toxicity and complaints on a daily basis. And yes you're right, it is just a game. However, it is a very bad game and the developers make it seem as if they do not care about it much. Besides that, your argument for refund is also invalid for 99% of people here since they exceeded the two hour limit.
That's unfortunate for these players. I'll repeate myself by saying that nobody forced them to buy the game in early access and nobody forced them to not inform themselves before buying this game.

To me the developers don't seem incompetent but like ambitioned programers who started the first Mount and Blade out of passion, became enterpreneurs and now pushed their product to the next level with the clan system combined with the birth-death-cycle which I've only seen in one other game series so far, Crusader Kings. Like any company they loose their "start up charm" and "indy flair" and as they grow they loose touch with some costumers, but that has nothing to do with incompetence. It's the way of economical developement all companies take: we are not their "friends" or "loyal fans", but "costumers" to TW. Although it seems incompetent to you, it is part of becoming professional.

I personally enjoy the game everyday more. The past three updates improved the game a lot. I don't understand the harsh words and disappointment some users of this forum have, as this is nothing but a videogame that they either can play or not and not their "birthright" or "heritage" stripped away from them or an insult to them, though some sound and act as if it was. This irrational attitude is the base for actual insults and false accusations - which in most states is illigal by the way and being banned or muted is the friendiest outcome a user or moderator might expect from such behavior.

Then again: programing and animating a functioninf sand box game is tough and usually results in simple point and click mechanics like in Crusader Kings or very simple animations/graphics like in Minecraft or Valheim. So Bannerlord is marvelous from a programer's point of view.

If you are not going to make the effort to understand why most forumites are disgruntled with the game, why would theytake the time to explain our position to you?
Well, you see, that's a virtual discussion on a virtual forum about a pass-time (that's what a videogame is). I already put too much time in this thread, so why should I spent more time to "issues" strangers on a virtual forum have, that did not occure to me while playing said videogame? Life's too short to grow bitter over a game that does not meet ones personal taste, isn't it? Why should a developer, instead of working on fixable issues, spent his precious time on this forum? Plus, there are several moderators and devs answering polite, serious and fixable issue-threads. Information about the possible features of the game is given to us costumers. Look around the dev-blog, for example.

I think I made my confusion and more positiv approach to the game clear. If you guys have a problem that is not solved when the game is finally released, talk to the tech support or, even better, learn writing XML and animating, rigging etc. with a 3-D editor such as Blender and modify/fix/repair the game to your liking.

Have fun, fellow warriors of Calradia. ;D

Last edited:
That's unfortunate for these players. I'll repeate myself by saying that nobody forced them to buy the game in early access and nobody forced them to not inform themselves before buying this game.

To me the developers don't seem incompetent but like ambitioned programers who started the first Mount and Blade out of passion, became enterpreneurs and now pushed their product to the next level with the clan system combined with the birth-death-cycle which I've only seen in one other game series so far, Crusader Kings. Like any company they loose their "start up charm" and "indy flair" and as they grow they loose touch with some costumers, but that has nothing to do with incompetence. It's the way of economical developement all companies take: we are not their "friends" or "loyal fans", but "costumers" to TW. Although it seems incompetent to you, it is part of becoming professional.

I personally enjoy the game everyday more. The past three updates improved the game a lot. I don't understand the harsh words and disappointment some users of this forum have, as this is nothing but a videogame that they either can play or not and not their "birthright" or "heritage" stripped away from them or an insult to them, though some sound and act as if it was. This irrational attitude is the base for actual insults and false accusations - which in most states is illigal by the way and being banned or muted is the friendiest outcome a user or moderator might expect from such behavior.

Then again: programing and animating a functioninf sand box game is tough and usually results in simple point and click mechanics like in Crusader Kings or very simple animations/graphics like in Minecraft or Valheim. So Bannerlord is marvelous from a programer's point of view.

Well, you see, that's a virtual discussion on a virtual forum about a pass-time (that's what a videogame is). I already put too much time in this thread, so why should I spent more time to "issues" strangers on a virtual forum have, that did not occure to me while playing said videogame? Life's too short to grow bitter over a game that does not meet ones personal taste, isn't it? Why should a developer, instead of working on fixable issues, spent his precious time on this forum? Plus, there are several moderators and devs answering polite, serious and fixable issue-threads. Information about the possible features of the game is given to us costumers. Look around the dev-blog, for example.

I think I made my confusion and more positiv approach to the game clear. If you guys have a problem that is not solved when the game is finally released, talk to the tech support or, even better, learn writing XML and animating, rigging etc. with a 3-D editor such as Blender and modify/fix/repair the game to your liking.

Nobody has forced us to buy this game. Despite that there is the factor of marketing. Mount and Blade Bannerlord was/is marketed in a certain way and a lot of people placed their trust in TaleWorlds when they decided to buy the game based on what TaleWorlds said they would do. An example of this includes expectations for the duration of EA but perhaps more importantly the outstanding relationship between the development studio and the people who pay them (we, the customers). It has been proven time and time again that simply assuming that any company will actively keep in touch about their plans and adress problems/struggles in a healthy way is too much asked.

Be my guest if you feel like sharing how wonderful a job TaleWorlds is doing. You're very well suited to join the line of people who have no idea what they're talking about. If you had done a little more research, you'd realize that the accusations that people make on this forum are not that false after all. In fact, people are heavily disappointed and really want TaleWorlds to reach out and tell us a bit more of what is going on. I am by no means claiming that some of the insults here should be allowed, but if you want a forum where people speak only positively then I suggest you delete your account. After all. most of us were positive and constructive for the first year anyways..

Two hours is the limit for guaranteed refunds, no questions asked. You can still get refunds after the 2 hour mark, you just have to actually write a reason into the box.
I assume the vast majority of refunds would be denied though, considering most fans of the mount and blade series will have 100+ hours in Bannerlord, but I've never tried it so I don't know.

To try and get us back a little towards my opening post, fewer people might feel like they wanted a refund if a developer (not just a forum moderator) actually took upon himself the responsibility to be active on the forums (more than other devs) , giving regular comments and regular updates.

It increasingly feels like this is just a 'dreamland' suggestion though.

It actually feels like TW have actually given up on the community to a large extent - like they are simply saying " Yeah we have a community manager for that"

Last edited:

Devs shouldn’t spend too much time on the forum as it isn’t their job. Non issue. Mods do not represent Taleworlds, they are independant. Mate, everyone here knows about the dev blogs and has been waiting for them throughout the development of the game.

People voice their frustrations and feedback here already, you don’t bring up anything new.

For someone who doesn’t want to spend too much time here, you argue a lot and on the wrong topics. Why imitate a discussion if don’t plan on carrying it on? Everyone here wants to help make this game better, especially the ones who are now bitter.

Have fun too.

Back on the topic at hand, some devs try to communicate. Callum, I think, takes care of the more accessible social platforms like Facebook (which is fine). I’m just waiting for the post giving us their goals and what might change until the release (and if they have anything in mind when Bannerlod finally releases).

Devs shouldn’t spend too much time on the forum as it isn’t their job. Non issue. Mods do not represent Taleworlds, they are independant. Mate, everyone here knows about the dev blogs and has been waiting for them throughout the development of the game.

People voice their frustrations and feedback here already, you don’t bring up anything new.

For someone who doesn’t want to spend too much time here, you argue a lot and on the wrong topics. Why imitate a discussion if don’t plan on carrying it on? Everyone here wants to help make this game better, especially the ones who are now bitter.

Have fun too.

Back on the topic at hand, some devs try to communicate. Callum, I think, takes care of the more accessible social platforms like Facebook (which is fine). I’m just waiting for the post giving us their goals and what might change until the release (and if they have anything in mind when Bannerlod finally releases).
I just wanted to point out something about communication from a game development studio to its customers/players. I play this game called Deep Rock Galactic and modding has been getting increasingly much attention in that game. The developers announced they wanted to release Modding tools (official ones etc.) for the last update but they weren't happy with the results and wanted to postpone it. Now, instead of saying one sentence like: ''modding tools will probably part of the next patch'', they come with clear arguments and clear info on how, why and what. I think the whole point is that TaleWorlds has literally been neglecting the community by not taking even a little time to communicate. Deeprock Galactic game developers also take decisions that not everyone is going to like, but at least they communicate and give arguments.

Anyways, I'm just here because I'd like to share my frustrations with TW, but aside from that I don't see any point in even posting here. I know TaleWorlds people read it because you can see them in the ''çurrently viewing'' but they rarely respond and if they do, its a very short reply.

Yes it is good enough to play for several hours, but after the 10-15 hours mark (for me anyway), it was mostly a chore to play. I play this game only because of the mods and the uniqueness of it. Kinda like skyrim
This game is unique, there's really not that many games out there where you start as a peasant and can become a king. To rule over the masses of lords with an iron fist or with a gentle touch. Yet this game is tiring. You can like the idea but hate the implantation
Did I get this right? An entire group of players who did not refund the game and deliberately played it for many hours to the point they cannot refund it on Steam/gog.com, right? Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but this means to them the game was good enough to spend the 40-50$ on it during Early Access. Nobody forced them to buy the game during early access, right? They could have waited for the "full release", read reviews, watch gameplay videos and then decide to buy it or not, but they chose to spend money on it and not refund it after 2 hours, right? The said group obviously read what early access means, as they quote the TaleWorlds' definition of early access on this thread.

My asumptions: Maybe they did not understand what they read, could it be? Maybe they were impatient and payed the price for it. Maybe they made the wrong decision by spending money and time on an unfinished videogame and now they are unable to deal with the consequences.
We bought this game to help it grow into something that would be remembered for decades. That's what the early access was described for us. So many of us would spend countless hours in this game to form suggestions or thoughts to help improve this game. Most of which are ignored.
To try and get us back a little towards my opening post, fewer people might feel like they wanted a refund if a developer (not just a forum moderator) actually took upon himself the responsibility to be active on the forums (more than other devs) , giving regular comments and regular updates.

It increasingly feels like this is just a 'dreamland' suggestion though.

It actually feels like TW have actually given up on the community to a large extent - like they are simply saying " Yeah we have a community manager for that"
I honestly don't understand the difficulty of putting up regular updates. And to be fair, they already did get their money. I wouldn't be motivated to do work after I got the cookies either.

@Orion, hey I been meaning to ask about how do you rank up your title/rank? Is it just through talking?

Two hours is the limit for guaranteed refunds, no questions asked. You can still get refunds after the 2 hour mark, you just have to actually write a reason into the box.
I actually tried to refund twice, even detailing how players were told to refrain from playing to avoid damage to ourselves because of the "sound of doom" bug etc etc. Still got denied. The sad thing for me is that I spent less than a few hours in the basegame, I spent way more time with modding, trying to make it better. But even that is problematic because of the hard-coded problems detailed in the open letter. Which, by the way, are still there after the initial "We will look into trying to make an attempt to analyze how we could try to find a solution to implement to fix the problems".

I actually tried to refund twice, even detailing how players were told to refrain from playing to avoid damage to ourselves because of the "sound of doom" bug etc etc. Still got denied. The sad thing for me is that I spent less than a few hours in the basegame, I spent way more time with modding, trying to make it better. But even that is problematic because of the hard-coded problems detailed in the open letter. Which, by the way, are still there after the initial "We will look into trying to make an attempt to analyze how we could try to find a solution to implement to fix the problems".
Oh , did TW actually reply to the letter then, in any way? I wasn't aware. (In fact I assumed there would just be no reply)

Oh , did TW actually reply to the letter then, in any way? I wasn't aware. (In fact I assumed there would just be no reply)
They did respond but I can't find the forum post with the response. It was a fairly generic "we'll bring it up internally" type thing if I recall correctly.

I'm pretty sure over half of these people have played FAR too long to even consider refunding it. Also Like what Qwerrecd42 said, or well pasted, we were lead to believe that we would help with the development of the game. That there would be communication between consumer and dev.

And yes, we don't like this game. At least I don't, but I like the idea and style of it. So we're here to either try to help and improve this game or watch it crash further into a greater ball of fire.

And sure. Maybe. MAYBE, the devs have better things to do then read our complaints. Yet they had a year to read some of the most famous threads in this forum, those that been here since the beginning, that offered suggestions to improve this game. And they were ignored. And if they aren't improving this game, what are they doing?

Few of the complaints are very novel, and most are expressed in vauge "THIS IS BAD! DO BETTER! YOU SUCK! I WANT MORE STUFF!" Which is utterly meaningless as critique, there's nothing you can act on here. And then there are the people who **** on every new content addition because they are more invested in the game being bad then looking for it to be better that taleworlds should do the opposite of listen to.

I assume the vast majority of refunds would be denied though, considering most fans of the mount and blade series will have 100+ hours in Bannerlord, but I've never tried it so I don't know.

I've refunded two games on steam. They were both after 2 hours and both accepted. My reasonings were "Wow these games pissed me off"

Steam gets pissy if you refund too much. And if you have 100 hour in a game, yeah they are gonna tell you no.

Back
Top Bottom