Where to buy War Horses now???

Users who are viewing this thread

R1919

Sergeant
Hi there!
I've started a new campaign 1.5.7 and can't find any cheap War Horses for sale to upgrade my cavalry (100+ men).
All old places where I used to buy cheap Imperial Chargers are now selling Saddle Horses and the only War Horses I can find is very few (3-5 heads) in several cities and they are way too expensive like 700-1200 denars what makes cavalry in this game ridiculously expensive.
Especially when you loose in a battle several cavalrymen - it's a real pain.
So, the question is: where you buy War Horses in this game now? May be there's a new way about cavalry to get horses cheap which I don't know? Because otherwise it's just doesn't make sense to use cavalry.

No you're right on with shopping for Imperial chargers, cheapest warhorse(200-400), buying any other for 500-600 is a 'good' price. You just gotta shop around grab em whenever it a good price (or any Imp charger).
You can steal Aserai warhorses from the "deviler the herd" and "art of the trade(1 horse)" in the desert horse villages, but it's better to sell them and buy cheaper warhorses.
Because otherwise it's just doesn't make sense to use cavalry.
It doesn't, I make Khuzait HA though, they're much better and you can just use normal horse and leave them a t3 raiders and they're fine, upgrade them when you can. I use Cav I get from prisoners.

It seems like I spend most of my time running around the map looking for cheaper war horses. There isn't very many places and often they don't have any chargers. Steppe war horses are easier to find but cost twice as much. The few other choices can cost three times a charger but don't make any difference when upgrading you troops.

Generally speaking they are near impossible to find. You might check out 10 different cities and get only 2-3 Warhorse and most are ridiculously expensive.

However, at least currently AI lords don't have to buy warhorses so just attack their armies and steal them as loot when you win. Seriously, in one large battle I got something like 42 warhorses as loot but even in smaller battles 1-5 warhorses per battle isn't uncommon.

I wonder why did they change Imperial Charger breeding places to Saddle Horses, at all? To make cavalry even more dumb to use?

Perhaps the scarcity to slow the growth of units that need the horses.I will say horses in general are very dependent on local market conditions. war has them dry up even faster then food. you will indeed waste your time if you try to stock up on battle fronts. This circuit is perhaps the best imperial charger route, but if war is near you should assume that leg of the journey is dry

Generally speaking they are near impossible to find. You might check out 10 different cities and get only 2-3 Warhorse and most are ridiculously expensive.

However, at least currently AI lords don't have to buy warhorses so just attack their armies and steal them as loot when you win. Seriously, in one large battle I got something like 42 warhorses as loot but even in smaller battles 1-5 warhorses per battle isn't uncommon.
There are usually a few warhorse for sale in the villages that produce (breed) horses. They are expensive though.

I wonder why did they change Imperial Charger breeding places to Saddle Horses, at all? To make cavalry even more dumb to use?
They didn't. Every village the produces a regional horse also provides war horses, at a lower rate.
warhorse-production.png

They didn't. Every village the produces a regional horse also provides war horses, at a lower rate.
warhorse-production.png
I'm pretty sure they did.
I'm 100% sure the village Jeracos (of Diathma) was producing Imperial Chargers as a Primary Production (before 1.5.7 or even before 1.5.6).
Now it's written there "Primary Production: Silver Ore". Even the picture of horses is still drawn near this village like it's breeding horses despite of the change.
Other villages (like Neocorys and Aegosca of Jalmarys or Canoros of Poros) did have Imperial Charger as a Primary Production before but now it's Saddle Horse.

I'm pretty sure they did.
I'm 100% sure the village Jeracos (of Diathma) was producing Imperial Chargers as a Primary Production (before 1.5.7 or even before 1.5.6).
Now it's written there "Primary Production: Silver Ore". Even the picture of horses is still drawn near this village like it's breeding horses despite of the change.
Other villages (like Neocorys and Aegosca of Jalmarys or Canoros of Poros) did have Imperial Charger as a Primary Production before but now it's Saddle Horse.
Yes, they did change some village productions around entirely. Obviously the silver village isn't going to make any more war horses.

They also changed the display name used -- it started off as the regular horse (so you'd see Midlands Palfrey, Desert Horse, Steppe Horse) then there was a change that made it display the warhorse instead (Aserai instead of Desert Horse, for example) and now it looks like they've changed it back (or to something else; I don't recall Saddle Horse coming up before). But the display name is just a name, the actual horse production numbers haven't changed in months.

Yes, they did change some village productions around entirely. Obviously the silver village isn't going to make any more war horses.

They also changed the display name used -- it started off as the regular horse (so you'd see Midlands Palfrey, Desert Horse, Steppe Horse) then there was a change that made it display the warhorse instead (Aserai instead of Desert Horse, for example) and now it looks like they've changed it back (or to something else; I don't recall Saddle Horse coming up before). But the display name is just a name, the actual horse production numbers haven't changed in months.
The actual horse production has changed too.
Before I could easily buy many (20-80) Imperial Chargers in the villages or cities I mentioned above, but now there are no Chargers there at all or very few of them (like 1-5).
And other ppl who wrote here noticed that too.

The actual horse production has changed too.
Before I could easily buy many (20-80) Imperial Chargers in the villages or cities I mentioned above, but now there are no Chargers there at all or very few of them (like 1-5).
And other ppl who wrote here noticed that too.
It could be due to bugs or issues in world state. Off the top of my head, they might have gotten raided into the ground in your current playthrough or the devs shifted the amount of horses lords purchase to help with their map speed issues. But those specific numbers in AddProduction have been the same for months now.

And at no point in the game have their been dedicated warhorse-producing villages. It has always been pack, regular and warhorses. The display name is for show only.

So do lords just buy them for no reason? Or can they come up in loot without any warhorse mounted units in the enemies? I ask because I often get them from minor clans and such that didn't field any warhorses? Or could it be a replacement form the Lords special horses, as AFAIK the special horses don't drop as loot?

The straight truth is that the amount of Warhorse available in game has been much reduced, there is no doubt about this. I suspect that Taleworlds felt that it was too easy to acquire have Tier 5 and 6 (and maybe even Tier 4) mounted units in game. This kind of makes sense from the historical perspective as Tier 4+ troops in proportion to Tier 1-3 troops in an army should be rather small. Also, I have found that very quickly AI Lord armies quality levels will drop dramatically once a war has started and often they are running mostly Tier 1-3 troops so this change may be to make it so player armies are more on par with AI Lord armies to balance the gameplay.

On the other hand, I don't know many people playing who would be satisfied running around with 120 Tier 1-3 troops and only 20-30 Tier 4-6 troops no matter the reason, historical or balance related.

The straight truth is that the amount of Warhorse available in game has been much reduced, there is no doubt about this. I suspect that Taleworlds felt that it was too easy to acquire have Tier 5 and 6 (and maybe even Tier 4) mounted units in game. This kind of makes sense from the historical perspective as Tier 4+ troops in proportion to Tier 1-3 troops in an army should be rather small. Also, I have found that very quickly AI Lord armies quality levels will drop dramatically once a war has started and often they are running mostly Tier 1-3 troops so this change may be to make it so player armies are more on par with AI Lord armies to balance the gameplay.

On the other hand, I don't know many people playing who would be satisfied running around with 120 Tier 1-3 troops and only 20-30 Tier 4-6 troops no matter the reason, historical or balance related.
anyway, you still can easily go with an army full of T6 archers or fletchers and destroy everything without a loss
so, imo this wasn't about balance, they just have ruined using of cavalry

That's how I play.

It erases a lot of the issues with things like fiefs not paying enough and feeling like you have to grind for three hours after losing a battle.

That's how I play.

It erases a lot of the issues with things like fiefs not paying enough and feeling like you have to grind for three hours after losing a battle.
It is funny how playing the game as it is intended could possibly can change the experience so dramatically though I doubt many think of this and that is my point. I think it is human nature to try to min max everything and if you can have an army and garrisons of Tier 5/6 troops, most of us want armies and garrisons of Tier 5/6 troops.

It is funny how playing the game as it is intended could possibly can change the experience so dramatically though I doubt many think of this and that is my point. I think it is human nature to try to min max everything and if you can have an army and garrisons of Tier 5/6 troops, most of us want armies and garrisons of Tier 5/6 troops.
Yeah, I kinda realized that a few months back when someone was complaining about his garrisons starving, while he had two or three of his town's villages raided and no granary or orchard improvements built. It was a bit of a "no ****" moment I thought, but most people were defending his point of view that garrisons should be safe storage places and that lower tier troops were pointless for anything. Just looking at the costs and comparing to their post-battle performance (which is some true min-maxing) should've made it plainly clear that tier 6 troops aren't worth twice their number in tier 4 troops but that's what they cost.

Like you said though, most people aren't playing the game like that. As soon as they see the yellow button, they smash it for the next upgrade. So the game should be balanced around them.

I guess the same goes for OP: if people are having issues affording cavalry because they can't track down enough war horses (to be clear, I've not experienced this in a normal playthrough) then they probably need to make the war horse requirements for a lot of these troops go away.

yeah, super smart logic (not) - you can't find war horses because t5-t6 units are too powerful/expensive and you don't need them because other lords use only t1-t3 troops
and at the same time you can easily have t5-t6 infantry or archers and cavalry is not so much OP in this game (unlike ranged units)

Back
Top Bottom