Gameplay is incredible boring when there is no ongoing wars: Some suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

DennyWiseau

Veteran
The gameplay loop when there's ongoing wars is solid, Its fun to participate in big battles and sieges (even though siege towers/pathing still are broken AF) and economy wise you are able to sustain your parties/garrisons by winning battles etc.

However, the gameplay loop when there is no ongoing wars is really tedious and also makes party/garrison managment frustrating because you are no longer able to sustain a steady income, which means disbanding tier 5+ troops that you spend a long time training. In terms of gamplay, while some quests can be fun but they also quickly get repetitive. Same can be said for tournaments, while fun once in a while they are practially constantly held and also quickly get repetitive.

Because the game is early access I thought it would be fitting to come with some suggestions that might allviate the tediousness of peacetime gameplay in Bannerlord.

The recent addition of rebellions is a great feature that could be used make peacetime gameplay more interesting. It would be great if rebellions werent just tied to wether or not a city was recently captured but to relationsship between lords and their monach. This would mean that unsatisfied lords might rebel during peace time (maybe even form a coalition with other unsatisfied lords) which could introduce the choice for the player to join and fight for either the kingdom or rebels.

Another thing I thought could be interesting was a more meaningful feif interactions during peacetime were you have to make decisions for your fief and people sorta like this mod(https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2562)

Another possibility off the top of my head, could be an addtion of companion quest/activities during peacetime. Hideout raids with some meaningful backstory (sorta like when you free your brother).

In any case I think peacetime gameplay is pretty lackluster atm and definitely could use some love before release. Feel free to add any suggestions you might have.

I do not know..I usually am happy to have some time my realm is NOT in a war or 3 at once - because I otherwise cannot travel Calradia because I have to babysit my villages, castle and my fellow noble's holdings as they are too busy raiding some random villages or rot in some dungeon, because they did so. Selling the spoils of war i.e. a load of prisoners and all the armor/weapons you get usually holds you afloat. I have 5 shops and 3 caravans and still lose 'some' money per day, but I still have enough items for sale to recover quickly. In my case, those battles are boring me as they get redundant and even meaningless.

I do not know..I usually am happy to have some time my realm is NOT in a war or 3 at once - because I otherwise cannot travel Calradia because I have to babysit my villages, castle and my fellow noble's holdings as they are too busy raiding some random villages or rot in some dungeon, because they did so. Selling the spoils of war i.e. a load of prisoners and all the armor/weapons you get usually holds you afloat. I have 5 shops and 3 caravans and still lose 'some' money per day, but I still have enough items for sale to recover quickly. In my case, those battles are boring me as they get redundant and even meaningless.

I don't think he is disagreeing with what you say. He is just saying that when there are no wars, there should be more things to do and I agree. This is the exact same criticism that I have with the game. There isn't much to do in peace time.

Maybe I just do not see that problem (but can relate to) because in my saved game peace happens seldom :wink:
The OP IS right in that regard that we might ask ourselves what to do with the expensive army we built painstakingly, true. And yes, just running errands or leading your own caravan might be a bit shallow (still I crave for that kind of shallowness for other reasons - I do not get to it in my playthrough).

Maybe I just do not see that problem (but can relate to) because in my saved game peace happens seldom :wink:
The OP IS right in that regard that we might ask ourselves what to do with the expensive army we built painstakingly, true. And yes, just running errands or leading your own caravan might be a bit shallow (still I crave for that kind of shallowness for other reasons - I do not get to it in my playthrough).

The wars get repetitive and boring too, but the point he was trying to make that there isn't much to do other than the wars. Yes, there are some other things, but there isn't enough. There needs to be so much more. It will only make this a better game and it would be great if there weren't so many wars going on and all the time.

Totally agree with that. Sorry, if my post added confusion rather than a second impression. I guess many people see different things in the game.

Trade, sell, buy, sell again, and buy again, then sell what you bought . You also can buy and sell, then sell and buy. Let me think more things....

I still think some of the other cultures need to be broken up to multiple factions. For example have a few independent dukedoms in Vlandia, some independent tribes in Battiana, and a few princedoms in Aserai and Sturgian lands.

For one it would be more realistic not having every culture a united faction. Offers more diplomacy options with in each culture having a goal to unite the culture. Political marriages would actually mean something as well as alliances within the culture. So many missed opportunities with lumping factions into single cultures. VC had multiple factions per culture and it made for some epic gameplay joining some of the smaller Welsh factions.

The gameplay loop when there's ongoing wars is solid, Its fun to participate in big battles and sieges (even though siege towers/pathing still are broken AF) and economy wise you are able to sustain your parties/garrisons by winning battles etc.

However, the gameplay loop when there is no ongoing wars is really tedious and also makes party/garrison managment frustrating because you are no longer able to sustain a steady income, which means disbanding tier 5+ troops that you spend a long time training. In terms of gamplay, while some quests can be fun but they also quickly get repetitive. Same can be said for tournaments, while fun once in a while they are practially constantly held and also quickly get repetitive.

Because the game is early access I thought it would be fitting to come with some suggestions that might allviate the tediousness of peacetime gameplay in Bannerlord.

The recent addition of rebellions is a great feature that could be used make peacetime gameplay more interesting. It would be great if rebellions werent just tied to wether or not a city was recently captured but to relationsship between lords and their monach. This would mean that unsatisfied lords might rebel during peace time (maybe even form a coalition with other unsatisfied lords) which could introduce the choice for the player to join and fight for either the kingdom or rebels.

Another thing I thought could be interesting was a more meaningful feif interactions during peacetime were you have to make decisions for your fief and people sorta like this mod(https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2562)

Another possibility off the top of my head, could be an addtion of companion quest/activities during peacetime. Hideout raids with some meaningful backstory (sorta like when you free your brother).

In any case I think peacetime gameplay is pretty lackluster atm and definitely could use some love before release. Feel free to add any suggestions you might have.
i strive for peace time.
lets me reup my everything. Wars are draining.

goodpost..!?

There should be better generic spawns that show up that can cut down on the boredom. Warband had mods that did this very well. In the Floris mod there was bandit heroes that would rise up and lead a horde of hostile parties that could be in the hundreds, there would be a notification with a tone telling the player where they spawn. Prophesy of Pendor and Perisno has a variety of generic spawns with strange notifications telling the player where these spawns were. In those mods there would be the spawning of giant parties with a huge prisoner stack. There is the Custom Spawns mod and the Bandit Militias mod that actually puts these things into Bannerlord. I think Bannerlord should have more generic party spawns like Custom spawns. Failed rebel parties should occasionally become unique bandit parties or something like the rebel system but for bandit parties. Or something like knightly orders pop up. Mods tend to have very interesting bandit parties to fight with unique units and gear this is something that should make its way to Bannerlord soon.

For one it would be more realistic not having every culture a united faction. Offers more diplomacy options with in each culture having a goal to unite the culture. Political marriages would actually mean something as well as alliances within the culture. So many missed opportunities with lumping factions into single cultures. VC had multiple factions per culture and it made for some epic gameplay joining some of the smaller Welsh factions.
Agreed that this was awesome in VC but unfortunately it's completely unlikely to happen in vanilla, the game design is consolidated now and they'll just do some small additions here and there at max and not something big like this, fortunately there are modders working on this already, the creator of calradia expanded is working on a submod that'll break each faction into 2~3 (besides the empire which is broken already) to create more diverse gameplay which will go hand in hand with the main mod that moves and add more fiefs to the map.

But back on topic i agree with OP, during war-time the formula is great (some bugs impending) but in peace time it's boring and blander than warband since there is less diversity of bandits, dialogues etc.

Doing random quests + tournaments all day can only entertain you so far when the world itself lacks immersion, not that vanilla warband had thaaaat much immersion but it was a bit more than bannerlord which being a sequel should build on the formula instead of discard features.

There needs to be more role playing elements. For example, something like feasts, but not the same as in warband. These would only take place during peace time and there could be a variety of things going on when feasts take place. For example, unique quests offered by other clans (to your clan or if you are mercenary for a mercenary), unique interactions for like diplomacy between clans (this could be the time to try to ally with another clan through marriage or other interesting propositions which could be made, etc.).

This could also be the time for unique tournaments with better prizes and more difficult competition and maybe other rewards. Other than that, there should be more you can do to build up your fiefs or other activities which you can do.

Raid a village to start a war! Turn on your faction and beat them up! Go on non-stop looter patrol!
I think this is a rare issue though, I never see factions stay at peace more then a few days.
The problem of supporting your warband during peace is not new and was staple of M&B warband, though basically negated if you played a female char and married a guy with castle.

- Social interactions, like playing factional politics or adultery
- Various quests that improve your standing and relations
- Fighting challenging hostile, non-kingdom parties (like bandit/raider armies)
- Quest/mechanics that would subsidize your troops' pay in peacetime, at least for a while
It won't happen unless modders take it up.

Raid a village to start a war! Turn on your faction and beat them up! Go on non-stop looter patrol!
I think this is a rare issue though, I never see factions stay at peace more then a few days.
The problem of supporting your warband during peace is not new and was staple of M&B warband, though basically negated if you played a female char and married a guy with castle.
Right now in my current playthough as a vassal of vlandia there has been peace for over 40 days and this only 64 days into campaign lol. This is not rare btw, I have experienced severel campaigns like this. I am not at all against long peace times It can be a nice break, but as I said in OP gameplay gets dull pretty quickly because there simply isent enough enganging or interesting things to do at peace time.

As you said the economy aspect of Bannerlord is actually the same as in Warband but seing as warband is over 10 years old I would like at least a few alternatives/improvements in this modern Mount & Blade title. And if we're being honest, vanilla warband was never that fun/interesting compared to Floris mod pack or PoP where larger bands of bandits were present to spice up peacetime gameplay.

I am sure mods will do the same for bannerlord (custom spawns mod already exists) but it would be nice if the vanilla game could be improved in these regards considering its an early acces title with at least a few more months of development time left, hence all the suggestions posted.

Right now in my current playthough as a vassal of vlandia there has been peace for over 40 days and this only 64 days into campaign lol. This is not rare btw, I have experienced severel campaigns like this. I am not at all against long peace times It can be a nice break, but as I said in OP gameplay gets dull pretty quickly because there simply isent enough enganging or interesting things to do at peace time.

As you said the economy aspect of Bannerlord is actually the same as in Warband but seing as warband is over 10 years old I would like at least a few alternatives/improvements in this modern Mount & Blade title. And if we're being honest, vanilla warband was never that fun/interesting compared to Floris mod pack or PoP where larger bands of bandits were present to spice up peacetime gameplay.

I am sure mods will do the same for bannerlord (custom spawns mod already exists) but it would be nice if the vanilla game could be improved in these regards considering its an early acces title with at least a few more months of development time left, hence all the suggestions posted.

I have never seen such long peace times in any campaign, especially not in the first couple of days. Not saying that your are laying, of course not, just that you have been really unlucky with that.

I have never seen such long peace times in any campaign, especially not in the first couple of days. Not saying that your are laying, of course not, just that you have been really unlucky with that.
Yes I think you are right about being "unlucky", it is the first time for me as well that peace has been so long, but I have often seen up to almost a month of peace time.

Back
Top Bottom