War Camels and Elephants

Users who are viewing this thread

JedSlater

Recruit
We already got camels in the game, however i don't see any "war Camels" with Armour?
b3f09f57207b20f664021cffa2c4dcde.jpg

I've spent some time in the game to get these beasts, none of them had any armour and could not be defined as war camels.
if there is I would like to know how and where to get them.

Next is Elephants, I think that this is something we are missing, yes they are slow, and that could be the penalty for having them in your army, but they are also a force multiplier if you had some.

the-royal-armouries.jpg

All mounts come without armor. You need to buy the armor (or saddle) separately. I don't know what the heaviest camel armor in the game is, but its probably pretty rare. I believe the basic camel saddle is pretty expensive compared to a similar armor horse saddle. So if there's heavy camel armor, its probably like the heavy body armors that are so expensive they never show up in shops or in loot.

Elephants (and by extension things like chariots and artillery) only make sense when the battle is above a certain scale, and has some semblance of a front line and separate formations. It would look absolutely ridiculous if you could just ride from one end of a battlefield to another on this big lumbering animal to support a formless brawl of 50 vs 50 or even 500 vs 500. Or image two elephants meet in battle what then?

Call me a purist but I just can't see it ever not looking ridiculous just based on the gameplay alone.

I want war pigs! Screaming pigs set a flame will send war elephants running in fear (megara siege). On the real, im not sure the Ai is capable of handling any kind of strategic defense against elephants at the moment. Would be cool in a dlc perhaps.

Elephants (and by extension things like chariots and artillery) only make sense when the battle is above a certain scale, and has some semblance of a front line and separate formations. It would look absolutely ridiculous if you could just ride from one end of a battlefield to another on this big lumbering animal to support a formless brawl of 50 vs 50 or even 500 vs 500. Or image two elephants meet in battle what then?

Call me a purist but I just can't see it ever not looking ridiculous just based on the gameplay alone.
Obviously they would be very difficult to get and maintain, and the speed to move around would be like walking, so some penalty is involved. And last but not least, they did exist in battle in the middle east.

I'd say no to elephants. They would likely be op af as one of their best counters doesn't exist either (field arty). And i'm sure the ai couldn't handle either.

Currently camels are pretty pointless. I wouldn't mind better armor for them.

camels historically are pack animals and mounts for mobile infantry. camels are inherently inferior to horses, that's why they are rarely used in combat outside of logistic duty, rendering camel armor pointless.

what is really needed is bactrian camels. seeing khuzaite caravans with dromedaries is just aweful.

camels historically are pack animals and mounts for mobile infantry. camels are inherently inferior to horses, that's why they are rarely used in combat outside of logistic duty, rendering camel armor pointless.

what is really needed is bactrian camels. seeing khuzaite caravans with dromedaries is just aweful.
dromedaries was use in war just as horses.

I'd say no to elephants. They would likely be op af as one of their best counters doesn't exist either (field arty). And i'm sure the ai couldn't handle either.

Currently camels are pretty pointless. I wouldn't mind better armor for them.
The best counter should be skirmishers which are heavily represented in the game ... and as long as we implemented a system whereby the elephants could panic and trample their own men I think it would be interesting ...
However I think they should be prohibitively expensive so that you’d only see one or two at most based on the size armies.

Obviously they would be very difficult to get and maintain, and the speed to move around would be like walking, so some penalty is involved. And last but not least, they did exist in battle in the middle east.
Actually elephants are quite fast and nimble. You just assume they're slow when infact they can run 15-25 mph and walk up to 195 km in a day. For comparison, a human walking for 24 hours NON STOP could cover just 119 kilometers (this is without armor or weapons). Hence, over a long distance, Elephants are signifigantly faster than humans.

The best counter should be skirmishers which are heavily represented in the game ... and as long as we implemented a system whereby the elephants could panic and trample their own men I think it would be interesting ...
However I think they should be prohibitively expensive so that you’d only see one or two at most based on the size armies.
Skirmisher could do damage, but it would drain a lot of ammo, depending on the amrmor and support the elephant got. A clean hit by some balista/scorpio or smiliar would do more. Both work, thats why i wrote "one of the best counters".

Also players would find a way to get around the cost. Or simply beeing able to pay it. Leaving you with hard caps that would work.

Back
Top Bottom