why are my archers shooting?!

Users who are viewing this thread

sinusoid

Recruit
Every so often my archers and horse archers will shoot at targets way beyond their range. Just saw a nice field of spent arrows between my archers and the enemy formation. The arrows are 197 from the enemy formation and 103 from my archers. There may have briefly been some cavalry there, but not for long and they have been shooting for a little bit.

Every so often my archers and horse archers will shoot at targets way beyond their range. Just saw a nice field of spent arrows between my archers and the enemy formation. The arrows are 197 from the enemy formation and 103 from my archers. There may have briefly been some cavalry there, but not for long and they have been shooting for a little bit.

Don't forget you can always tell them to hold fire with f4

or the game should know not to shoot unless the enemy is at least close to being in range. I am ok with it coming up a little short and calling it a head wind, but barely making it 1/3 the way is terrible.

It's a game. AI not smart as people. No big deal. Just leave it. There are so many other important things to fix.
Or you may keep @ the developers and emailing them everyday until they're annoyed. Then they might listen to you. :grin:

I understand this, but I shouldn't have to.
i disagree with this. when they do that they can hit the enemy and sometimes they can aggro so i find it useful and if i dont want them spending the arrows i just tell them to hold fire. i really dont see it as a problem

"AI not smart as people"

Remember, that Soldiers like the citizens they're drawn from aren't created equally. I've seen Soldiers and other Officers do some really questionable and stupid things :wink:

Chalk it up to an undisciplined archer trying to see if he's in range or screwing around when he thinks his NCO isn't looking.

I agree with sinusoid on this topic. It is not acceptable if they are really trying to shoot the enemy while the enemy is three times further their range. The error can be like %25 but three times is too much and ridiculous. It might not be a priority at this stage as there are more serious issues but this one should be addressed eventually.

I agree with sinusoid on this topic. It is not acceptable if they are really trying to shoot the enemy while the enemy is three times further their range. The error can be like %25 but three times is too much and ridiculous. It might not be a priority at this stage as there are more serious issues but this one should be addressed eventually.
Agreed. AI doesn't need to be perfect but there is a limit for the failures.

I also agree with the op. Why are my archers shooting when the enemy is half way across the field and then they also run eight miles away to skirmish. They shouldnt need to be much more than a few meters or so from the infantry unless i mount them on high terrain. The archer ai is aweful and needs to be looked at. The horse archer ai is more intelligent. Maybe can we have that scriptor work on more on the ai intelligence than the foot archer guy?

The arrows are 197 from the enemy formation and 103 from my archers.
Don't understand this sentence.
Seriously, I think archers' AI is designed to be like this.
Looters will not shoot until close enough, so there must be a 'distance' parameter controlling AI.
In fact, the bow could shoot as far as 250 meters. It's reasonable that archers shoot far away, although not efficient.

I think the op let their archers to shoot and went to where those arrows landed and hold the ALT key to look at the distance between arrows and their archers and the distance between arrows and enemy units.

Looters will not shoot until close enough, so there must be a 'distance' parameter controlling AI.
In fact, the bow could shoot as far as 250 meters. It's reasonable that archers shoot far away, although not efficient.

Yes they are designed to be like this but it is not a good design, They can shoot an arrow to see where their maximum range is and then not shoot the second because they can know that enemy is far further than their maximum range. If they are shooting multiple times, it is stupid. And an experienced archer would know his maximum range and won't shoot before enemy comes closer to it.

I think the op let their archers to shoot and went to where those arrows landed and hold the ALT key to look at the distance between arrows and their archers and the distance between arrows and enemy units.

Yes they are designed to be like this but it is not a good design, They can shoot an arrow to see where their maximum range is and then not shoot the second because they can know that enemy is far further than their maximum range. If they are shooting multiple times, it is stupid. And an experienced archer would know his maximum range and won't shoot before enemy comes closer to it.
Good point.
There is also a possibility that Vertical Aim Correction doesn't take effect on AI. Might not the problem of distance.

The range of the arrow field was 197 from the enemy formation, which was stationary, and 103 from my own archers, so it wasn't even at max range. I am ok with an initial volley to check the distance, but I have seen repeated volleys that do nothing except waste arrows.

It might be a bug but it's kinda immersive tho. They didn't have high tech tactical laster distance meters or something. They would send couple of arrows time to time. Keep in mind they are at a battlefield, sh*tting themselves etc.

It might be a bug but it's kinda immersive tho. They didn't have high tech tactical laster distance meters or something. They would send couple of arrows time to time. Keep in mind they are at a battlefield, sh*tting themselves etc.
Maybe peasant / fresh archers. I think those who train at the range and are veteran or fielded would know from experience what they can hit

The range of the arrow field was 197 from the enemy formation, which was stationary, and 103 from my own archers, so it wasn't even at max range. I am ok with an initial volley to check the distance, but I have seen repeated volleys that do nothing except waste arrows.
Sounds like a bug that AI doesn't have Vertical Aim Correction so that they aim for the target directly. Hope the developers will notice this one day.

Back
Top Bottom