State of archers - not necessarily overpowered, but totally broken (with suggested fixes)

Users who are viewing this thread

1) they have 100% accurate prediction and arch. Low tier archers has low accuracy, but their prediction is perfect.

False. I did recall hearing from someone who read the data on their parameters, and it mentioned "quite generous when compared to real life" but they are not "perfect" in their lead calculation. If they were "perfect," we wouldn't have some people profusely whining about how their archers cannot hit horse archers in movement.

2) armor doesnt exist for them. Even low tier archers are doing tons of damage to any elite unit

Also false. Arrows drop significantly in damage over distance -- ie. a shot with a noble bow is capable of one-shotting non-armored, clothe-wearing targets at close distance, but over a longer distance it requires a headshot. How the armor works in the game IMO does need some revision, but by no means is it "useless." It feels like armor is useless, because generally=, the instances when people are shot by arrows or bolts is during combat (multiple archers firing), approaching archers (relative speed added), and at close distances (usually within 50 distance).

If there is a "fix" to archers, it would have to do with the general firing logic/script. In real life, archers started firing oever 200m distance, but in volley fire. 200m is a way too long distance to individually make out targets and land aimed shots, and therefore, archers fired in volleys, with large volume of arrows unloaded and aimed as an "AOE attack" if you will. It's only when the distance closed in around 50`~60m or lower, that they started firing at will with individual targeting.

In contrast, all the archers in the game fire targeted shots. Longer-range archers (most notoriously the Forest Bandits) start firing from around 180 distance, and most other archers begin firing 150~160-ish distance -- and all of their attacks are targeted shots. Try firing at the same distance as a player, and the enemy is basically just a dot on the monitor and way too small to confirm a shot even when zoomed in.

If there could be a script, so archers fired in volleys between 75~180 distance, and then only started to fire direct targeted shots from under 75, that would make a lot of difference.

Archer AI is completely broken
Infantry AI doesn't distinguish shielded vs non-shielded units

Both of these I'd consider to be bugs

I'm ok with battanian upgrade tree/shields with projectiles. I don't like that shields block any melee attack regardless of if it should actually hit the player or not.

I'll say it again: archer fire rate is too high for how accurate their shots are, and bows at T2+ have way too high of accuracy so skill matters little in comparison.

Sturgia does have a "powerful" noble cavalry line. But its a feature that really doesn't help their faction specialization (elite infantry). This has been brought up as a problem by a few others when discussing the sturgian tree. So you're completely right that sturgia has a noble cavalry tree but isnt about cavalry, but its another example of how tree designs removed from faction lore hurts a faction, rather than how it can work despite it.

Forgive me but I find this argument absurd. Sturgia having archers also hurts lore because they are removed from faction focus? For me faction focus does not mean that faction can consist only of it's "focus" type of units. On contrary, that would very much hurt such a faction and make it one dimensional. Faction can have focus and still get diverse roster. One does not exclude the other.

What I do think the campaign needs as a whole is an archery focused faction.
But right now, the most archer heavy faction is probably forest bandits, and that is disappointing, at least to me.

There are couple of the minor factions which are entirely archer focused. Wolf Skins, Brotherhood of the Woods (Arboreal line) and there is at last one crossbow focused faction (Boars).

IIRC, archers in WB always target head (or head height, not the actual head model), regardless of shield position.

In WB they will switch to target your feet if you come close enough. They don't do that in BL.

I don't disagree that shields are still a really effective counter against archers in bannerlord. What I said is that they are weaker compared to their version in warband, whereas archers have not been nerfed in parallel.

WB archers were hopeless. So I don't see that as a bad thing. Now they actually can do some damage in the field battles.

The AI do have problems with player archer focused armies, but one needs to consider that AI armies are composed of large number of recruits without shields (partially changed in the 1.3.0), AI doesn't use shieldwall at all to counter archer fire, it does not use it's own archers as competently as a player and archers AI armies have are less numerous and low tier compared to player. Lastly, player armies full of Batanian champions are very much abnormal and usually rely on one particular perk to achieve.

This is effectively an extension of what I'm trying to say about the reduced shield coverage. When throwing, the shield still covers part of your body. Again in WB, the coverage at this point is much larger than what it appears, whereas in bannerlord it is much closer to what it looks like.

And you consider it good or a bad thing?

I doubt a fully shielded infantry contingent is what most players (let alone AI) can call "normal". Nevertheless I will give it a try. Again, I'm not saying that shields are ineffective, just that they are LESS effective compared to in WB.

You don't need to go fully shielded infantry. You just shouldn't mix your 2H/polearm infantry with the shielded one. Put them in to separate group and place them somewhere behind your shieldwall. Archers will kill the 2H, so don't expose your 2H to archers. AI isn't clewed enough to pick more vulnerable target. Instead it will focus target that is closer (noticeably closer that is), even if it's protected by the shield. So it's not difficult to keep your 2H relatively safe.

I definitely disagree that archers were useless in WB. Similarly to bannerlord I think an archer army was one of the most effective and efficient armies to have, especially if you were willing to cheese even a little.

Such archer army relayed almost entirely on breaking the shields. And they still weren't all that effective because WB archers were running with one stack of ammo and would run out of ammunition in mid to large battles.

Fact that WB archers aimed for head instead of torso made their fire very inaccurate in the field battles as well.

I think they better at least buff crossbows too while they're at it. Comparing my escapades with Rhodoks to what I'm doing with Vlandia, I'm not feeling it. I'm inclined to say that even the worst archer is better than a crossbowman.

Also yeah, Battania needs a regular archer line. Maybe replace the Mounted Skirmisher with them, and fold the those guys into Battanian horsemen. As they are now, Battania has a tendency to field a lot of horsemen due to availability.

Such archer army relayed almost entirely on breaking the shields. And they still weren't all that effective because WB archers were running with one stack of ammo and would run out of ammunition in mid to large battles.
You can just ride behind them and shoot them to make them turn around to chase you and open fire into their backs with archers.

Archer accuracy needs a nerf, as does the speed of more powerful bows. Arrows don't lose much damage over distance either. Archer accuracy should be tied to weapon skill (if it isn't already) as even low tier archers have godlike aim.

This is all made worse by the fact that armour is nearly useless and almost not worth the massive mobility penalties it imposes on the player.

Forgive me but I find this argument absurd. Sturgia having archers also hurts lore because they are removed from faction focus? For me faction focus does not mean that faction can consist only of it's "focus" type of units. On contrary, that would very much hurt such a faction and make it one dimensional. Faction can have focus and still get diverse roster. One does not exclude the other.
I don't think you understood my argument at all. Any faction should have all unit types despite their focus. But having a focus means that one should have the best units for that role and an army composition that takes advantage of it. Noble branches are clearly meant to be the elite units for a faction; they have higher stats and is capped at level 6 instead of 5, etc. It seems janky then that Sturgia, a faction which prides itself on its shield walls would have cavalry for its elite line while simultaneously having lackluster line infantry. You might think that this is fine, but many don't. Here's another long format post with a section about how dissapointed he is with the sturgian noble line:

There are couple of the minor factions which are entirely archer focused. Wolf Skins, Brotherhood of the Woods (Arboreal line) and there is at last one crossbow focused faction (Boars).

Minor factions clearly don't fufill the same role, at least not in the game's current form. Right now they usually appear as auxiliary units in armies of the faction which hired them. You will never lead an assault on a castle thinking "this faction is archer focused, i better adjust my tactics accordingly" like you might against Vaegirs in warband. You will never start a new campaign and choose to join a faction because you want to create a culturally homogenous, archer focused army.

In WB they will switch to target your feet if you come close enough. They don't do that in BL.
I just tested this out in warband with combat AI on highest. I could walk close enough that they switch to melee but they never target or hit my feet. Interestingly enough they even aim there for a second before releasing at my torso at the last moment. So I can't replicate what you're describing here.

WB archers were hopeless. So I don't see that as a bad thing. Now they actually can do some damage in the field battles.

The AI do have problems with player archer focused armies, but one needs to consider that AI armies are composed of large number of recruits without shields (partially changed in the 1.3.0), AI doesn't use shieldwall at all to counter archer fire, it does not use it's own archers as competently as a player and archers AI armies have are less numerous and low tier compared to player. Lastly, player armies full of Batanian champions are very much abnormal and usually rely on one particular perk to achieve.

I didn't find warband archers hopeless. Against infantry I think they're better balanced in WB than BL, which is that disorganized infantry die to it whereas organized shielded infantry can effectively advance against them. WB's problem is that its heavy cavalry was too strong and infantry and archers both were hopeless against it. A good demonstration of this I think is in siege battles, where archers can be very effective until they die and their posts never refilled.

I completely agree that the AI doesn't use archers effectively and that it is too powerful under player control. That's basically my OP.

As for battanian fian champions, I have 30 or so in my army, plus another 50-odd units belonging to that branch. I play on realistic recruiting and am not relying on any weird perk (at least not that I know of). All I did was mark the villages where they were available, periodically revisit to recruit and do quests. With disciplinarian perk I imagine I could easily fill my 300 unit party capacity with Fians and champions in one or two in game years. So I do think elite archer availability to players play into this problem - alot.

"This is effectively an extension of what I'm trying to say about the reduced shield coverage. When throwing, the shield still covers part of your body. Again in WB, the coverage at this point is much larger than what it appears, whereas in bannerlord it is much closer to what it looks like."

And you consider it good or a bad thing?

I'm saying I effectively already addressed this point in my OP. That shields have been nerfed without a parallel nerf in arrows, or in this case a buff in the throwing animation to better maintain shield coverage. I disagree that its a problem infantry are throwing javelins, I think they should be and that it should even be devastatingly effective. They did so in WB (IIRC) at increased exposure to arrows but not to the same level as is in BL.

You don't need to go fully shielded infantry. You just shouldn't mix your 2H/polearm infantry with the shielded one. Put them in to separate group and place them somewhere behind your shieldwall. Archers will kill the 2H, so don't expose your 2H to archers. AI isn't clewed enough to pick more vulnerable target. Instead it will focus target that is closer (noticeably closer that is), even if it's protected by the shield. So it's not difficult to keep your 2H relatively safe.

sorry, but not mixing shielded and unshielded infantry isnt remotely normal either. The AI obviously doesnt do this (which is part of the reason why archers are broken), and most players won't be doing this. I would do this except that the game resets my formation assignments everytime I load a save.

Fact that WB archers aimed for head instead of torso made their fire very inaccurate in the field battles as well.
You dont need to break shields. Just riding around or using your cavalry to make them turn is more than enough.

and aiming for heads makes them generally more devastating, not less. As a archer main myself I can tell you that aiming for heads in either WB or BL is worth it up to long range, even at archery skill levels comparable to elite archers. Very, very long range if its an advancing formation with a blob of heads together. The exception to this is against very sparse formations moving over very uneven terrain that makes it very difficult to lead. For low tier archers that lack the accuracy, its not a huge difference between aiming for head or torso for them either way.

You can just ride behind them and shoot them to make them turn around to chase you and open fire into their backs with archers.

You're absolutely right

Archer accuracy needs a nerf, as does the speed of more powerful bows. Arrows don't lose much damage over distance either. Archer accuracy should be tied to weapon skill (if it isn't already) as even low tier archers have godlike aim.

This is all made worse by the fact that armour is nearly useless and almost not worth the massive mobility penalties it imposes on the player.

A noble bow capable of dealing around 80~90 damage with a torso shot against an unarmored target at under 30m distance, does about 40~50 damage against the same target over 50m, and at around 100m the damage is down to about 20~30-ish. Against an armored target this damage can go even lower at the longer distances.

So contrary to popular belief, armor does do something, and arrow damage does drop considerably over distance. The problem is that the distances where players usually experience being hit, are the ranges where a war bow would most definitely penetrate the armor, given the type of armor we have in the game (leather strips, bands, lamellar/scale, mail, etc.)

The only real problem I see, is that over the 50m distance, a long range shot shouldn't be doing any damage at all, as it literally fails to penetrate, or even if penetrated, very nominally and would not be debilitating or immobilizing, much less fatal.

I'm pretty certain that the way the game handles damage (anybody remember the dam. formula? I can't seem to find where it was posted...) there's always some component of damage coming in -- which shouldn't be. Higher grade of armor, over a certain distance, should either significantly reduce damage or outright have the shot fail to penetrate. (Of course, within close ranges where we usually are shot at, it's just dead penetration. No excusing that)

So, if we assume the devs will not really change how the damage formula works in the game, then the next best we can hope for is to ask for a significant chance factor involved with the hit that linearly decreases "chance of penetration" in accordance to distance of the shot, and the armor-tier-vs-bow-tier comparison. So when the shot lands at "fail to penetrate chance," then it outright should deal no damage.. or maybe 1 blunt damage or something at most.

I don't think you understood my argument at all. Any faction should have all unit types despite their focus. But having a focus means that one should have the best units for that role and an army composition that takes advantage of it.

Sturgia have best units for it's focus and composition that takes advantage of it.

Noble branches are clearly meant to be the elite units for a faction; they have higher stats and is capped at level 6 instead of 5, etc. It seems janky then that Sturgia, a faction which prides itself on its shield walls would have cavalry for its elite line while simultaneously having lackluster line infantry.

Sturgia does not have lackluster infantry and I don't see reason why noble line can't have cavalry. On contrary, cavalry was always considered elite of every army and place where nobility served. It's entirely logical that Sturgian noble line ends with cavalry. Not to mention that you get cavalry only on the last two tiers of the noble line, rest is made of very good heavy infantry. So even Sturgian noble line have a infantry focus.

Roman army was infantry focused, yet whole Roman nobility served exclusively in the cavalry, because cavalry was still the more prestigious unit then footsloggers.

You might think that this is fine, but many don't. Here's another long format post with a section about how dissapointed he is with the sturgian noble line:

The only people who are disaponted with Sturgian roster are former Nord fans that did not get Nord faction in the Bannerlord. Sturgians are not Nords, Sturgians are predecessors to Vaegirs and heavy cavalry was always elite of their army. In the Sturgian noble line we can see origin of Vaegir knights. Sturgian noble line fits Sturgian lore perfectly.

Minor factions clearly don't fufill the same role, at least not in the game's current form. Right now they usually appear as auxiliary units in armies of the faction which hired them. You will never lead an assault on a castle thinking "this faction is archer focused, i better adjust my tactics accordingly" like you might against Vaegirs in warband.

By the time you got to sieging castles in the Warband, every lord in the game have changed his allegiance at last twice and what kingdom castle you are besieging belongs to played hardly any role.

You will never start a new campaign and choose to join a faction because you want to create a culturally homogenous, archer focused army.

Plenty of players out there running around with culturally homogeneous archer armies. This forum is overflowing with comments about how armies made of Batanian champions are OP.

I just tested this out in warband with combat AI on highest. I could walk close enough that they switch to melee but they never target or hit my feet. Interestingly enough they even aim there for a second before releasing at my torso at the last moment. So I can't replicate what you're describing here.

AI in Warband does that on every difficulty.

I didn't find warband archers hopeless. Against infantry I think they're better balanced in WB than BL, which is that disorganized infantry die to it whereas organized shielded infantry can effectively advance against them.

No infantry dies to archers in the Warband. AI will hold shields up by default and shield hitboxes in Warband are so generous, that even smallest shields will effectively protect whole body.

whereas organized shielded infantry can effectively advance against them.

In Bannerlord shield infantry organized in the shield wall can advance against archers no problem. That AI does not use shield wall and that AI armies are composed or recruits without shields is not problem of overpowered archers, it's problem of AI.

As for battanian fian champions, I have 30 or so in my army, plus another 50-odd units belonging to that branch. I play on realistic recruiting and am not relying on any weird perk (at least not that I know of). All I did was mark the villages where they were available, periodically revisit to recruit and do quests. With disciplinarian perk I imagine I could easily fill my 300 unit party capacity with Fians and champions in one or two in game years. So I do think elite archer availability to players play into this problem - alot.

With disciplinarian perk, you can amass armies of banner knights as easily as armies of fians, and they are even more OP then the fian ones.

I'm saying I effectively already addressed this point in my OP. That shields have been nerfed without a parallel nerf in arrows, or in this case a buff in the throwing animation to better maintain shield coverage. I disagree that its a problem infantry are throwing javelins, I think they should be and that it should even be devastatingly effective. They did so in WB (IIRC) at increased exposure to arrows but not to the same level as is in BL.

Well then we have to agree to disagree, because unrealistic shield hit boxes in the Warband made archers near useless and making shield coverage more realistic in the Bannerlord is huge improvement that makes archers finally viable as a battlefield unit. I don't see archers been anywhere near overpowered against player armies and that player archers can be overpowered against AI armies is not problem of archers, it's problem of AI and AI army composition.

And another huge improvement over Warband that was not mentioned yet is that in the Bannerlord archers will not shoot through friendly units.

sorry, but not mixing shielded and unshielded infantry isnt remotely normal either. The AI obviously doesnt do this (which is part of the reason why archers are broken), and most players won't be doing this. I would do this except that the game resets my formation assignments everytime I load a save.

Then those players have but themselves to blame. Sending 2H units against archers is such obvious tactical mistake that there hardly can be any more obvious one. Archers are clear counter to 2H units.

You dont need to break shields. Just riding around or using your cavalry to make them turn is more than enough.

When you need cavalry or AI exploit to make archers effective, then you can also go all out cavalry force and it will be more effective in the Warband. Moreover even with enemies turning to fight cavalry Warband archers could not hit anything, because they could not lead their shoots and aiming for heads made them miss even if torso shoot could land.

Archers in the Warband were painfully ineffective in field battles.

and aiming for heads makes them generally more devastating, not less. As a archer main myself I can tell you that aiming for heads in either WB or BL is worth it up to long range, even at archery skill levels comparable to elite archers. Very, very long range if its an advancing formation with a blob of heads together. The exception to this is against very sparse formations moving over very uneven terrain that makes it very difficult to lead. For low tier archers that lack the accuracy, its not a huge difference between aiming for head or torso for them either way.

Aiming for heads made Warband archers miss most of their shoots and was introduced only because archers aiming for torso were useless in sieges -as was the case in vanilla. Player aiming for heads was something entirely different, because player could lead his shots and hit heads reliably enough.

If you need to exploit AI in such a way to make something work then it's probably not that good in the first place. In Bannerlord you don't need to ride behind enemy to make archers work and I consider it a good thing.

Last edited:
Suggested Fix: Give all recruits and 2nd tier infantry shields. Looters have stones, so I don't think giving recruits crappy shields will suddenly make them too powerful. Can even add some veteran looters that upgrade into Vigla recruits. The other thing is to decrease the damage multiplier for legs, against arrows specifically if possible. Another way to do this is to buff the foot armor of all infantry units, which shouldn't affect melee combat much if at all. If they still die too quickly against arrows then make them raise their shields higher when taking arrow fire.
I don't agree with this part

I think solution is, ai should distinguish shielded and non shielded infantry and unshielded infantry should engage behind shielded ones. And for the player unshielded units should have different group

it. I don't see archers been anywhere near overpowered against player armies and that player archers can be overpowered against AI armies is not problem of archers, it's problem of AI and AI army composition.
Archers are only real threat to players army from AI.

Archers are only real threat to players army from AI.

Buy yourself a cheap shield in the nearest town and they won't. Problem solved. Only costs few dinars.

I think solution is, ai should distinguish shielded and non shielded infantry and unshielded infantry should engage behind shielded ones. And for the player unshielded units should have different group

It would be nice if soldiers with shields would automatically take front rank of the formation when they would be ordered in to shieldwall. Of course it would be also nice if AI was made to use shield wall formation under ranged fire.

So, if we assume the devs will not really change how the damage formula works in the game, then the next best we can hope for is to ask for a significant chance factor involved with the hit that linearly decreases "chance of penetration" in accordance to distance of the shot, and the armor-tier-vs-bow-tier comparison. So when the shot lands at "fail to penetrate chance," then it outright should deal no damage.. or maybe 1 blunt damage or something at most.
BTW arrow factor is very generic and bad in this game too. They just adds damage and thats all. But in reality you have a lot of types of arrows for better armor pierce or for better damage.

hruza in czech means terror.

I wish to not feed the contrarian, other than it is funny to read bs like claims that in warband archers shot at feet, because they always shot at the head and were programmed to misfire most of the time by a very rapid movement (blink) way lower (target center, not accounting for missile drop) that caused most of archer shots at 100 range to land somewhere in 20-50m away from the archers. Arrows in WB could land on feet, if you didnt have good enough forcefield skill, only by misfire. Many outrageous claims, but proceeds like it knows what its talking about .D

Solution to ranged overpoweredness is to decrease the missile speeds.

Please, note, the likes of youtube famous people are not very scientific in their approach. Tods workshop has some things like saying medieval crossbows were weak and couldnt pen armor. But there were big heavy crossbows that had times the power of a longbow on the target end, not just draw. Keep this in mind and take their claims with a pinch of salt. So, he doesnt make composite bows or bigger bows with longer flex of the bow for the crossbow. Composite bow + longer draw was a thing he doesnt know about.

Still, some reproduced scientific evidence-quality material did emerge from Tods workshop with their agincourt longbow debunking video.

The video produced results and those were, that a longbow arrow fired from 72 kilo draw weight (160lb) had approximately, from my head somewhere, from 53 to 55 meters per second velocity. Metric system is the one the game uses. Yesterday I got hit from a noble bow on a horse following me at 85 meters per second. Damage was considerable, especially since I got it in the arm and arm takes generally 120% damage, while feet get usually 80%. It is in the files.

When I was cav archer, I shot a stationary target from 3 m range at 105 meters per second, me almost on a 90 degree approach to target, max speed. Riding circa 200.

Looter shoots a rock, me stationary, 9 meters away, hit at 39,5 meters per second velocity.

I do not know about military medieval bows or crossbows that shot much if anything above 60 meters per second exit velocity. Bigger crossbows had much heavier bolts even a few times that of a longbow arrow.

Problem with ranged combat is the huge velocities that arrows and rocks fly. Medieval bolts and arrows werent paperweights from carbon fiber fired at such speeds. When impacting armor, such arrows would explode without doing their job. This is why there were heavier bolts and arrows, not just very light speedy ones, that kinetic energy equation would make sense of.

Archery in the game is very op very much due to it being unrealistic, because arrow speeds, weights are not right. Heavy arrow travels slower, retains energy better compared to hyperspeedy very light one, that will slow down considerably. Great velocities make armor redundant, because at high speeds you are harder to hit, while wearing little-protecting armor makes you easier to hit..

Last edited:
There are always limitations but right now I like how the archers work and their effectiveness. There is a touch of history there. If you leave them alone, they will be really bad news. It forces you to have cavalry to disrupt what they are doing.

That just show how poorly you know Warband.
Well, I went through the trouble to fire up WB to test "shooting at feet" and observed no such thing.

Combined with the rest of your strawman arguments i dont know if i should even take your points seriously anymore

Back
Top Bottom