State of archers - not necessarily overpowered, but totally broken (with suggested fixes)

Users who are viewing this thread

So after 200-odd hours of play with the game, consistently raising archer armies, I have concluded that their place within the game is totally broken. This is a bit different than concluding that they're overpowered, and I'll explain.

Archer units' worst enemy isnt cavalry, its their own commanding AI

I don't know about others, but enemy archers in field battles simply don't matter to me. An obvious but important observation with archer units is that they only shoot when stationary. This is good, since they suffer a huge accuracy penalty firing on the move. The problem is that commanding AI is too dumb to take this into account. Formations will advance, wheel, etc, and this always make their archer units nearly useless by making their effective fire rate a fraction of what it should be.

Archers in sieges appear many times stronger as a result, because the commanding AI lets them be for the most part and doesn't neuter their fire rate. Another example how the commanding AI harms archer performance is with forest bandits. They advance, their formation breaks and loosens and develops some depth. The most important thing is, they all stop and shoot once they find something in range, and unleash a withering hail of fire that will put any AI army to shame almost regardless of relative size. The broken formation even plays to their advantage: while individual units will engage in melee, units in the back will keep shooting, making it very difficult to lock the entire party in melee even with a equally sized infantry company. This formation and behaviour is effective even against cavalry. Forest bandits are vastly more effective archers as individuals in a party than any archers as part of an army, with infantry and cavalry support, and controlled by an AI.

Suggested fix: Just make the AI use a loose square formation on archers. Ignore all wheeling commands. Move the archers less often.

Battania is all about archers cavalry.
I'm certain others have noticed this as well, but Battania isn't so big on their archers after all. As with any faction, elite units are in short supply. The problem with Battania (and a couple others) is that ONLY their elite units fufill the role which they as a faction is supposed to dominate. Imperial factions don't suffer from this because their focus isn't so much heavy cavalry as it is heavy armor and survivability across all their units. Khuzaits have regular horse archers in addition to their noble horse archer line. Vlandia has commoner cavalry in addition to their banner knights... But for Battania it's like you'd get stoned to death for picking up a bow as a commoner.

There's two ways to fix this: either increase the availability of their noble line recruits, or add a regular archer branch in their main tree. I'd much prefer the latter as it is easy enough as is to raise an army of just Battanian nobles (I have like 50 of them in my army on realistic recruiting). Since players are not AI, these guys are stupidly effective under player command.

Shields are less effective compared to warband
Having been a big archer in both warband and now bannerlord as well, I can say with certainty that bannerlord shields are far less effective than warband shields for blocking projectiles. Arrows will actually hit thighs and heads in bannerlord, as opposed to being teleported to the nearest shield as in warband. I like this change since it feels less janky, but after getting used to arrow projectiles in bannerlord, I don't think archery in bannerlord have been similarly nerfed. The result is that once you amass enough volume of archers, shields don't matter much, especially if they're only carried by a portion of the advancing infantry. Unshielded recruits quickly die, and then shielded elite units get focused down.

Suggested Fix: Give all recruits and 2nd tier infantry shields. Looters have stones, so I don't think giving recruits crappy shields will suddenly make them too powerful. Can even add some veteran looters that upgrade into Vigla recruits. The other thing is to decrease the damage multiplier for legs, against arrows specifically if possible. Another way to do this is to buff the foot armor of all infantry units, which shouldn't affect melee combat much if at all. If they still die too quickly against arrows then make them raise their shields higher when taking arrow fire.

Thanks for reading if you did. Hope I made some sense.

Archers like 50 times stronger then in WB.

1) they have 100% accurate prediction and arch. Low tier archers has low accuracy, but their prediction is perfect.
2) armor doesnt exist for them. Even low tier archers are doing tons of damage to any elite unit

They were quit useless in the WB, so it might not be a bad thing.

1) they have 100% accurate prediction and arch. Low tier archers has low accuracy, but their prediction is perfect.

They actually don't and have pretty difficult time hitting moving target. Been it cavalry on the battlefield or me circling them in the arena.

Now javelins ...those actually take movement of the target in to account. But not bows.

2) armor doesnt exist for them. Even low tier archers are doing tons of damage to any elite unit

Armor certainly do exist for them and while there are bows with fairly impressive stats, you need high tier archers to have them. Low tier archers use pretty crappy bows.

Last edited:
Battania is all about archers cavalry.
I'm certain others have noticed this as well, but Battania isn't so big on their archers after all.

Should they be all about archers? They do have a best bow unit in the game. Does that mean that their armies should be archer armies? I don't see connection. That players can make whole armies full of fiann champions does not make those armies representative of Batania.

Sturgia have powerful noble cavalry line. Yet they are not all about cavalry either.

The result is that once you amass enough volume of archers, shields don't matter much, especially if they're only carried by a portion of the advancing infantry. Unshielded recruits quickly die, and then shielded elite units get focused down.

Shields are actually extremely effective against archers, because unlike in Warband, archers will newer target head or feet. You can stay in front of the archer in the arena until he exhausts all his ammo and he will newer hit you. What happens in battles is that (as far as I could observe):
A. Units does not hold their shields up constantly. For that you have to command them in to shieldwall.
B. Even in the shieldwall, units that have throwing weapons will expose themselves while throwing them.
C. When arrow hits the shield, it causes short stagger. If there is another arrow following shortly enough after the first one, it will land. This is how units with shields up can get "overpowered" by high volume of fire.

Under average conditions, when you order your infantry in to shieldwall and tell them to cease fire, they are almost untouchable to archers. My favourite tactics against forest bandits is to put my infantry in to shieldwall up front as a target for them and then just shoot them with my own bowmen to death.

Armor certainly do exist for them and while there are bows with fairly impressive stats, you need high tier archers to have them. Low tier archers use pretty crappy bows.
High tier archers use the same bows as mid tier ones. Consider Imperials (tier 2 hunting bow => tier 3 composite bow => tier 3 composite bow => tier 3 composite bow), Khuzaits (tier 2 steppe bow => tier 3 steppe heavy bow => tier 3 composite steppe bow), Sturgians (tier 2 mountain hunting bow => tier 3 nordic shortbow => tier 3 composite bow) and Aserai (tier 3 composite bow => tier 3 composite steppe bow). Even Khuzait noble line doesn't seem to progress at all (tier 2 steppe bow => tier 2 steppe bow => tier 3 steppe heavy bow => tier 3 composite steppe bow => tier 3 composite steppe bow). Composite steppe bow is better than the rest but only slightly. Only fians, mameluke heavy cavalry, minor factions and forest bandits get tier 4 and 5 bows at the moment.

That's the case only with imperial archers and their low tier archers still use crappy bows.
No, that's the case with all of them except fians and mamelukes. Evolution from first tier to the next is great but from mid tier to high tier it's mostly cosmetic for anyone but fians.

Consider:
Mountain Hunting Bow (Sturgian Hunter): speed rating 86, missile speed 67, accuracy 82, damage 46;
Nordic Shortbow (Sturgian Archer): speed rating 89 (+3), missile speed 71 (+4), accuracy 95 (+13), damage 52 (+6);
Simple Short Bow (Sturgian Veteran Bowman): speed rating 88 (-1), missile speed 73 (+2), accuracy 93 (-2), damage 56 (+4).

Or:
Steppe Bow (Khuzait Hunter, Khuzait Noble's Son, Khuzait Qanqli): speed rating 86, missile speed 68, accuracy 80, damage 46;
Heavy Recurve Bow (Khuzait Archer, Khuzait Torguut): speed rating 87 (+1), missile speed 76 (+ 8, accuracy 91 (+11), damage 62 (+16);
Steppe Recurve Bow (Khuzait Marksman, Khuzait Kheshig, Khuzait Khan's Guard): speed rating 89 (+2), missile speed 78 (+2), accuracy 94 (+3), damage 62 (0).

Compare the best bow Khuzaits get to the shortbow used by mamelukes (the only unit using a tier 5 bow in the game):
Noble Bow (Aserai Mameluke Heavy Cavalry): speed rating 94 (+5), missile speed 90 (+12), accuracy 98 (+4), damage 80 (+18 ).

Here's fians:
Ranger Bow (Battanian Highborn Youth): speed rating 86, missile speed 65, accuracy 83, damage 42
Western Longbow (Battanian Highborn Warrior, Battanian Hero): speed rating 80 (-6), missile speed 74 (+9), accuracy 94 (+11), damage 60 (+18 )
Woodland Longbow (Battanian Fian, Battanian Fian Champion): speed rating 88 (+8 ), missile speed 82 (+8 ), accuracy 94 (0), damage 72 (+12)

No, that's the case with all of them except fians and mamelukes. Evolution from first tier to the next is great but from mid tier to high tier it's mostly cosmetic for anyone but fians.
And dont forget that there is no damage multiplier like power draw. 100 bow skill give them what? 10% ?

Consider:
Mountain Hunting Bow (Sturgian Hunter): speed rating 86, missile speed 67, accuracy 82, damage 46;
Nordic Shortbow (Sturgian Archer): speed rating 89 (+3), missile speed 71 (+4), accuracy 95 (+13), damage 52 (+6);
Simple Short Bow (Sturgian Veteran Bowman): speed rating 88 (-1), missile speed 73 (+2), accuracy 93 (-2), damage 56 (+4).

Or:
Steppe Bow (Khuzait Hunter, Khuzait Noble's Son, Khuzait Qanqli): speed rating 86, missile speed 68, accuracy 80, damage 46;
Heavy Recurve Bow (Khuzait Archer, Khuzait Torguut): speed rating 87 (+1), missile speed 76 (+ 8, accuracy 91 (+11), damage 62 (+16);
Steppe Recurve Bow (Khuzait Marksman, Khuzait Kheshig, Khuzait Khan's Guard): speed rating 89 (+2), missile speed 78 (+2), accuracy 94 (+3), damage 62 (0).

Compare the best bow Khuzaits get to the shortbow used by mamelukes (the only unit using a tier 5 bow in the game):
Noble Bow (Aserai Mameluke Heavy Cavalry): speed rating 94 (+5), missile speed 90 (+12), accuracy 98 (+4), damage 80 (+18 ).

Here's fians:
Ranger Bow (Battanian Highborn Youth): speed rating 86, missile speed 65, accuracy 83, damage 42
Western Longbow (Battanian Highborn Warrior, Battanian Hero): speed rating 80 (-6), missile speed 74 (+9), accuracy 94 (+11), damage 60 (+18 )
Woodland Longbow (Battanian Fian, Battanian Fian Champion): speed rating 88 (+8 ), missile speed 82 (+8 ), accuracy 94 (0), damage 72 (+12)

In every instance you brought up, higher tier bow is better then the lower ones. And what I said still apply: low tier archers use crappy bows with 40+ damage. And those are actually bows AI uses most, since their armies consist from t1-t2 units.

I generally agree with most of your post.

I think one thing you failed to mention that makes archers so strong in the player's hands, is that your army is seemingly immune to friendly fire amongst themselves.

Archers never have to stop firing to avoid killing your own soldiers, which really let's them contribute to the entire battle and use their full firing rate at all times.

What means shield are less effective against arrows--->give shields to tier 1 too?

In Warband you needed the hold fire command because archers would waste arrows at max range.
You are supposed to spray arrows to enemies from safe distance *hoping* to hit someone or killing them from shorter distance with few times before melee.

Accuracy and blob are the problems.

In every instance you brought up, higher tier bow is better then the lower ones. And what I said still apply: low tier archers use crappy bows with 40+ damage. And those are actually bows AI uses most, since their armies consist from t1-t2 units.
You are technically right, the main word being technically. +2 to missile speed isn't going to change things in a noticable way. I was addressing you saying that you need high tier archers to use bows with fairly impressive stats. Only fians and mamelukes use those, other archers use mid tier bows even at the highest tiers. Imperials get the same bow at the tier 3 they and Sturgians will have until tier 5 and the bow used by high tier Khuzaits is 5% better at best. Imperial trained archer is a fairly low tier unit, you see tons of those in campaign.

And dont forget that there is no damage multiplier like power draw. 100 bow skill give them what? 10% ?
11%. It's +0.11% damage and 0.09% accuracy per skill level. Skill should also improve AI according to developers.

You are technically right, the main word being technically. +2 to missile speed isn't going to change things in a noticable way. I was addressing you saying that you need high tier archers to use bows with fairly impressive stats. Only fians and mamelukes use those, other archers use mid tier bows even at the highest tiers. Imperials get the same bow at the tier 3 they and Sturgians will have until tier 5 and the bow used by high tier Khuzaits is 5% better at best. Imperial trained archer is a fairly low tier unit, you see tons of those in campaign.

Those "mid tier bows" have actually fairly good stats. We are talking 50+ piercing damage. You can compare it to the spears or trust attack from swords that are somewhere in the 30-40+ range. Most t4-t5 spears and swords does not even cross 40 piercing.
Once you get higher tier archers, you can deal quit a bit of damage even to the most armored units. Which completely fine in my opinion. But you're not going to have the same effectiveness with low tier archers, so saying that armor does not matter is simply not true.

[Archers] were quit useless in the WB, so it might not be a bad thing.

They actually don't [have prediction] and have pretty difficult time hitting moving target. Been it cavalry on the battlefield or me circling them in the arena.

I definitely disagree that archers were useless in WB. Similarly to bannerlord I think an archer army was one of the most effective and efficient armies to have, especially if you were willing to cheese even a little.

In terms of prediction, I'm certain that warband had perfect prediction up to the first positional derivative (velocity). That is to say, any sort of acceleration will throw them off, which includes turning. For bannerlord I can't be certain yet: units whose stats should offer pinpoint accuracy often miss against a stationary target that isn't all that far away.

Should they be all about archers? They do have a best bow unit in the game. Does that mean that their armies should be archer armies? I don't see connection. That players can make whole armies full of fiann champions does not make those armies representative of Batania.

Sturgia have powerful noble cavalry line. Yet they are not all about cavalry either.

Shields are actually extremely effective against archers, because unlike in Warband, archers will newer target head or feet. You can stay in front of the archer in the arena until he exhausts all his ammo and he will newer hit you. What happens in battles is that (as far as I could observe):
A. Units does not hold their shields up constantly. For that you have to command them in to shieldwall.
B. Even in the shieldwall, units that have throwing weapons will expose themselves while throwing them.
C. When arrow hits the shield, it causes short stagger. If there is another arrow following shortly enough after the first one, it will land. This is how units with shields up can get "overpowered" by high volume of fire.

Under average conditions, when you order your infantry in to shieldwall and tell them to cease fire, they are almost untouchable to archers. My favourite tactics against forest bandits is to put my infantry in to shieldwall up front as a target for them and then just shoot them with my own bowmen to death.

Sturgia does have a "powerful" noble cavalry line. But its a feature that really doesn't help their faction specialization (elite infantry). This has been brought up as a problem by a few others when discussing the sturgian tree. So you're completely right that sturgia has a noble cavalry tree but isnt about cavalry, but its another example of how tree designs removed from faction lore hurts a faction, rather than how it can work despite it.

At the same time, I acknowledge that battania doesn't NEED to be an archer faction. Their armies do have a unique feel to them and are effective on the field. What I do think the campaign needs as a whole is an archery focused faction. Battania is the best contender for that spot because of their uniquely non-mounted noble archers, but is paradoxically the least archer focused faction due to how rare noble troops are. I'm ok with say, Aserai taking over the role of an archer focused army by getting two archer lines or something, and leaving battania as is. But right now, the most archer heavy faction is probably forest bandits, and that is disappointing, at least to me.

IIRC, archers in WB always target head (or head height, not the actual head model), regardless of shield position. In arena you are probably too close for the archer to miss into your feet. I don't disagree that shields are still a really effective counter against archers in bannerlord. What I said is that they are weaker compared to their version in warband, whereas archers have not been nerfed in parallel.

AI not consistently holding up shields unless ordered to shield wall is a good observation and once I neglected to mention in my opening post.

This is effectively an extension of what I'm trying to say about the reduced shield coverage. When throwing, the shield still covers part of your body. Again in WB, the coverage at this point is much larger than what it appears, whereas in bannerlord it is much closer to what it looks like.

I've not noticed this and will definitely pay attention to confirm. My initial reaction though is that it isn't related to the shield "staggering", since it appears very minimal.

I doubt a fully shielded infantry contingent is what most players (let alone AI) can call "normal". Nevertheless I will give it a try. Again, I'm not saying that shields are ineffective, just that they are LESS effective compared to in WB.

I guess people think WB archers where bad because they could just spam swadian knights and steam roll everything. If you used archer like we use them in BL they were very good in wb. Meaning make them hold fire, move them to good area, kite enemies in front of them, open fire , circle around making enemies expose backs, rinse repeat. Yes knights are still more durable and easier to use but ranged was second best and easiest to raise up.
Infantry was the useless unit type in warband, takes forever to raise up and is always at maximum risk in battle.

I generally agree with most of your post.

I think one thing you failed to mention that makes archers so strong in the player's hands, is that your army is seemingly immune to friendly fire amongst themselves.

Archers never have to stop firing to avoid killing your own soldiers, which really let's them contribute to the entire battle and use their full firing rate at all times.
Yeah, I've noticed that archers don't commit FF. But I still notice them holding fire when they can't get a clear line of sight. I've actually noticed this more for myself than against enemy parties... care to elaborate where you observe this?

I guess people think WB archers where bad because they could just spam swadian knights and steam roll everything. If you used archer like we use them in BL they were very good in wb. Meaning make them hold fire, move them to good area, kite enemies in front of them, open fire , circle around making enemies expose backs, rinse repeat. Yes knights are still more durable and easier to use but ranged was second best and easiest to raise up.
Infantry was the useless unit type in warband, takes forever to raise up and is always at maximum risk in battle.

Indeed, I think heavy cavalry really overshadowed archers in WB. Archers across both games are the easiest to level up (low risk). I'd actually say infantry dipped to a new low in bannerlord because enemy AI is more sensitive to morale, meaning they tend to flee before my infantry can get the maximum amount of XP out, whereas archers can still shoot and cavalry can still ride down fleeing enemies.

Archers are by far the best kind of unit in the game currently (not taking into account horse archers). Having a good amount of elite archers in my army means that I can kill much bigger armies without suffer losses. I even find a Fians army much more OP than Swadian Knights armies were in Warband.

While I do agree with there It is not only an archers being OP fault, I think they are probably too good currently in terms of accurary and damage.

Anyway, the first steps before giving nerfs should be focused on making infantry less vulnerable to archers and continue improving cavalry AI.

Back
Top Bottom