Dislike the New Class System in Bannerlord Multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

I love Warband. I've spent over at least 1k hours in multiplayer from the 4k hours I have in total.

I will be talking about the multiplayer alone.

I love warbands multiplayer, its customization is fantastic, and even with factions, I don't like, like the Sarnids I can create a build for a character that fits my playstyle, and I could do this with every faction whether I liked it or not.

That Being said I don't like Bannerlords class-based system. It doesn't allow me to play in my way; I have several factions I just don't have any class I like playing as. I feel like I compromise and don't enjoy the matches themselves because I'm not as skilled and don't enjoy as much playing as certain roles.

What do you guys think about this?

BTW Proposal System
keep it the way it currently is. keep it. but when people reach level 10\20, give them the Warband system. Tailworlds has stated that the reason for the new system is accessibility so new players won't feel overwhelmed entering the game. having it that players who know from singleplayer or just by experimentation what they want to use in combat can choose and newcomers can branch out or stick to the stuff they used in their early game

Last edited:
You're hardly the only person to voice these concerns. Hopefully someone out there at TW hears that this keeps coming up and look into changing it somehow. I've a generally positive outlook on most of the problems BL MP has, they plan on working things, just... soon™. But they also seem to really want people to drink the kool-aid on the class system.

You're hardly the only person to voice these concerns. Hopefully someone out there at TW hears that this keeps coming up and look into changing it somehow. I've a generally positive outlook on most of the problems BL MP has, they plan on working things, just... soon™. But they also seem to really want people to drink the kool-aid on the class system.

What do you mean by the kool-aid class system?
also what else have you heard, I haven't found a lot in general concerning opinions about Bannerlords multiplayer

'Drinking the kool-aid'; is a generally well known reference to the Jonestown cult massacre. It wasn't 'kool-aid' brand, but everyone calls it that. Google it if you want to learn more.

When word does come from TW outreach to this section, it usually says things like mapping, modding, server hosting, and balance are all in the works, but with no ETA, and post SP fixes.
^ Fietta talking about everything but classes (except that they'll be in battle too). I'm sure you can find more in other sections of the forum... maybe.

I already responded to a similar thread but I totally agree with you people! Picking your own equipment was a big part of what made Warband multiplayer fun and unique! I had hoped Bannerlord would try to put even more customization options into the MP experience. However, it has become clear now that they intended to streamline the multiplayer equipment system to be more new-player friendly and balanced. This isn't a bad thing at all but I feel they could have approached this differently in ways which wouldn't have hurt the multiplayer customization aspect.

I feel the TW team did a great job so far on a lot of things and the future of bannerlord looks very promising indeed. The engine seems very powerful and I do think this game will last us quite some time! Also it has become quite apparent that TW has in fact really listened a lot to the community, which is great! On the other hand, I do think (and correct me if I am wrong here) that they listened a bit too much to certain parts of the community, whilst not paying a lot of attention to others. This might just be my perspective but it seems to me like TW wants MP Bannerlord to be an esports game, and as a result has listened a lot to the native competitive community of the game.

Now, I am a warband pleb who doesn't care much for symmetrical maps, overly balanced factions, competitions and rankings, and I think a lot of others might feel the same. I really miss the MP customization we had in Warband and I would like to see it be expanded rather than streamlined in bannerlord. I think the proposal you posted @Longshotz is one of many possible solutions. Another idea I have seen floating around is to have the lobby armoury function as an in-depth equipment selector - sounds logical doesn't it. They might already have planned to do this in the future but we don't know that yet. Cheers and here is my bump contribution!

I like the class system. It's streamlined and prevents meta.
Naked two hander ballerina is the kind of meta that totally prevent newcomers from enjoying the game.

People have been ranting about the class system since alpha testing. Every poll I have seen shows that 70-80% of the playerbase HATE it and want it gone. TW isnt listening and have stated over and over it's not changing. I have told all my friends not to buy this game. My only wish is I could get a refund. It's one thing to try something new but another to completely ignore the community that made you what you are.

It's clear that TW is too focused on e-sports. Just look at any other competitive game, eg, Counter-strike and you will see the similarities.
The issue isn't with the intent to create an arena for e-sports, but how it overrides the casual multi-player, not having split functions.
There are reasonable complaints over how the matchmaking groups are limited to six individuals, even when searching for siege/tdm, as well as complaints such as these with the class system which would make sense to have in a competitive arena for a fair game, but not in casual.

TW wants MP Bannerlord to be an esports game, and as a result has listened a lot to the native competitive community of the game
They've done the opposite. Most of the native competitive community hate the new class system and have extensively critiqued it in a lot of depth. That's not to say TW aren't focusing on eSports/competitivity; they're just going against the community's feedback. And I'm sure the competitive community would be happy to see the more casual players get what they want too.

I like the class system. It's streamlined and prevents meta.
Naked two hander ballerina is the kind of meta that totally prevent newcomers from enjoying the game.

Buddy how many times you gotta be told, that was never the meta, and those same guys using that **** are now just killing you with a shield and sword anyways, so what's the point.

Also how tf does it prevent meta when the meta right now is literally 6 heavy cavalry or lose.

yeah most competitive warband players from NA at least have stopped playing. no one likes the changes. not sure who the target audience for the class system is

@jon01 @grimsight Well forgive me! I thought the people supporting the streamlining were the people interested in competitive play. If that isn't the case, I don't know who TW is catering to - I bet most people would like more customization options in MP. Perhaps, way down the line, they will introduce more options a la 'Mercenaries' via the armoury screen, but we don't know that yet either! We are entirely left out of the development proces and can only really guess what will happen in the future.

I think a lot people will agree with me if I say that M&B is a game that takes the player's freedom to heart. Limiting player options in MP seems to clearly contrast this vision.

The class system that Bannerlord is using just isn't fun. It will become Meta with certain class choices just being bluntly worse than others. It sounds simple but each class should have benefits and weaknesses and they should remake this entire gold system they've introduced. Some units that are mediocre are too expensive and others that are too strong are too cheap, Archers especially are broken.

What concerns me the most is the implications for this system in servers that try modding, like RP servers. It could kill a lot of the community that still play Warband to this day, I'm sure a PK-esque mod will still be developed but small scale servers that try to run RPs probably won't work anymore without heavy modding. Which we no nothing about because TW won't give us any information on what they are developing.

Back
Top Bottom