In Progress Learning rate (and thus subsequently leveling) math is wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Hadhod

Knight at Arms
Summary: The math behind the learning rate is wrong. It only counts the first decimal number before the point instead of all numbers. Meaning if you should gain 92 learning rate from focus points, you actually only get 2. This breaks leveling completely.
How to Reproduce: Go in game and count the numbers yourself.
Media (Screenshots & Video):
GEUMzdK.jpg

laQABAH.png

Version: 1.06

I really want xp get fixed so badly, good report, and MARDA, are u awake at that hour to check forums? U GUYS REALLY WORKING HARD!

Got to be a visual bug, however exp gain is quite slow as of now so it should be buffed.

Got to be a visual bug, however exp gain is quite slow as of now so it should be buffed.

I'm hoping this bug is why skill progression is abysmally slow, beyond just a visual fudging of numbers on the visual end.
As it is right now, if the experience rate is intentional and it's just the tooltips that are wrong, companion progression are completely nonexistent.

Here's an example, I'm day 707 into this campaign and I've had my surgeon from week 1.
She's only gained FIVE (5) skill points in medicine. 700 days and countless battles, only five skill ups?
This can't be what was intended, at this rate my entire party would be dead from old age before she even gets to spend a perk choice. 707 days is 8 ingame years.

Edit: I just noticed I have an unspent focus point (the game did a really bad job of notifying me whenever this happened) so this example is scuffed.

However, my point still stands. My other combat focused companions have never seen a single focus point to distribute. What's the difference between my shieldmaiden compared to a freshly generated one sitting around in a tavern all game long?
pE2YjRx.png
Atfhndt.png

Last edited:
I'm hoping this bug is why skill progression is abysmally slow, beyond just a visual fudging of numbers on the visual end.
As it is right now, if the experience rate is intentional and it's just the tooltips that are wrong, companion progression are completely nonexistent.

Here's an example, I'm day 707 into this campaign and I've had my surgeon from week 1.
She's only gained FIVE (5) skill points in medicine. 700 days and countless battles, only five skill ups?
This can't be what was intended, at this rate my entire party would be dead from old age before she even gets to spend a perk choice. 707 days is 8 ingame years.

Edit: I just noticed I have an unspent focus point (the game did a really bad job of notifying me whenever this happened) so this example is scuffed.

However, my point still stands. My other combat focused companions have never seen a single focus point to distribute. What's the difference between my shieldmaiden compared to a freshly generated one sitting around in a tavern all game long?
pE2YjRx.png
Atfhndt.png
I agree, i forgot to add that companion progression is basically non existent.

I can't understand how play testers would not notice they level up a skill with a rate of 6.67 instead of 136.66.. That's 20 times slower than intended !
It must be a visual bug with the tooltip, otherwise im speechless.

Summary: The math behind the learning rate is wrong. It only counts the first decimal number before the point instead of all numbers. Meaning if you should gain 92 learning rate from focus points, you actually only get 2. This breaks leveling completely.
How to Reproduce: Go in game and count the numbers yourself.
Media (Screenshots & Video):
GEUMzdK.jpg

laQABAH.png

Version: 1.06
So is this why I have been grinding trade for hours on end and only just pinging 100? Got to say this trade run has to be quite frustrating.

Yeah, leveling Xp needs such a rework it's insane. But I still think we're in the "Putting out fires" phase of Early access, not tuning/balance.

They gotta find a balance to where you can make meaningful progression at a reasonable rate, but you don't cap everything out in like 3 (game) months of tournaments.

I am improving the squad's skills right now, but they are also improving slowly.

Companion squad? They're torturous to level up.

If you're talking about just your army, the fastest way to XP is to Auto-resolve against large groups of looters. If you prefer to fight the battles yourself, the fastest way to level up groups is by one unit type at a time (IE: Sturgian Recruits Only) until the entire unit is ready to level up. This is faster because Combat XP is awarded to the unit that got the kill shot only, and the entire unit type gets Xp for it.

This is a very serious problem and is killing my desire to play.
Same here, I just noticed the very same thing in a post I made yesterday where I saw the base learning rate actually decays as you level (and it seems to work as a multiplier for your attribute and focus points)... I guess I can go Azerai and run around on foot in arena practice to get crazy good at athletics and 1 handed or ride around on the plains picking off looters with a bow from horseback if I want riding + bow but the other skills are really up **** creek as far as leveling goes... sunk about 7-8 hours into 1 character on looterhunting with a jack of all trades setup because I figured that was the way to go (enough scouting+medicine to get the first perk) which leaves me just around 40 in my highest combatskill after 67 ingame days at level 7. (did have settings on "realistic" though... which should rightly be named "masochistic" since the enemies you face all have combatskills that are far beyond your reach so I had to heal up in town some of the time.)

Back
Top Bottom