SP - General Roads on the map!

Users who are viewing this thread

Add roads to connect the map and add new game mechanic!

Cities get big stone roads to connect themselves to accommodate caravans, armies, and travellers

Castles get medium-sized roads to accommodate armies marching in and out

Villages get small dirt roads joining to main roads or other villages

By giving parties certain advantages or disadvantages for choosing to travel on the road you can change the game mechanics and tactics in a really good way.

Here is a few examples.

- Travelling on roads gives you a speed boost depending on what type of road it is, bigger the road, faster you go.

-All parties walk normal speed on main roads, reduced speed on medium-sized roads, slower on village roads and much slower on no road at all.

-The bigger the party size, the more this effect takes place. So whereas a small warband can slip through mountain passages easily, a big army can't manoeuvre as well in this terrain without a proper road.

So if you click on a town somewhere on the map, instead of going straight towards the town, your party (and all other NPCs) instead calculate the shortest distance by calculating how far you are to a road and the destination, then make the necessary calculations to put you on the road to get you there if it's necessary/ shorter time.

You can of course disable "follow road" mode by a very small button at the bottom of the screen somewhere, maybe a little tick box out of the way to move like vanilla.

Things like gang hideouts can be put on places really out of the way of most roads, so to not attract lords and player, and looters can be found near "caravan routes" to plunder them but run away quickly to mountains or other difficult to get to places if lords decide to chase them and get away, to have a more realistic effect.

I think this would be a really good addition to the game and add more complexity to the base game and make it more reliable to make strategies.

Such as if a certain lord is known to be between x castle and y castle, you can bet your money on where they are going to be. Or if there is an army coming towards your city from a certain other city, you can pretty much guess which direction and which roads they would be following (of course to make it not so easy, AI needs to accommodate this by sometimes switching up roads and maybe even walking through fields to throw the other NPCs/Player off. depending on their tactics skill level)

Edit: Just like how certain factions have better movement in certain terrains, a passive positive or negative boost can be added to certain factions to accommodate the roads. Maybe Factions like Battanians and Khuzaits don't get affected as much from roads (due to being nomadic or excel in forests) but the Empire factions get affected more (like how Romans utilised the roads) Just an idea.

Last edited:
Add roads to connect the map and add new game mechanic!

Cities get big stone roads to connect themselves to accommodate caravans, armies, and travellers

Castles get medium-sized roads to accommodate armies marching in and out

Villages get small dirt roads joining to main roads or other villages

By giving parties certain advantages or disadvantages for choosing to travel on the road you can change the game mechanics and tactics in a really good way.

Here is a few examples.

- Travelling on roads gives you a speed boost depending on what type of road it is, bigger the road, faster you go.

-All parties walk normal speed on main roads, reduced speed on medium-sized roads, slower on village roads and much slower on no road at all.

-The bigger the party size, the more this effect takes place. So whereas a small warband can slip through mountain passages easily, a big army can't manoeuvre as well in this terrain without a proper road.

So if you click on a town somewhere on the map, instead of going straight towards the town, your party (and all other NPCs) instead calculate the shortest distance by calculating how far you are to a road and the destination, then make the necessary calculations to put you on the road to get you there if it's necessary/ shorter time.

You can of course disable "follow road" mode by a very small button at the bottom of the screen somewhere, maybe a little tick box out of the way to move like vanilla.

Things like gang hideouts can be put on places really out of the way of most roads, so to not attract lords and player, and looters can be found near "caravan routes" to plunder them but run away quickly to mountains or other difficult to get to places if lords decide to chase them and get away, to have a more realistic effect.

I think this would be a really good addition to the game and add more complexity to the base game and make it more reliable to make strategies.

Such as if a certain lord is known to be between x castle and y castle, you can bet your money on where they are going to be. Or if there is an army coming towards your city from a certain other city, you can pretty much guess which direction and which roads they would be following (of course to make it not so easy, AI needs to accommodate this by sometimes switching up roads and maybe even walking through fields to throw the other NPCs/Plater off. depending on their tactics skill level)

+1
Seems a pretty good idea, and I like the last point you made to be clear on how it can be adapted to the strategic mind.

There ....is ..there is just so many things missing in the game.Tw... just didn't do any changes to game mechanics ......In eight years.That's why the suggestion forum is full day and night.Taleworlds should have thought about these ideas........ not us.

There ....is ..there is just so many things missing in the game.Tw... just didn't do any changes to game mechanics ......In eight years.That's why the suggestion forum is full day and night.Taleworlds should have thought about these ideas........ not us.
So true mate just so true.And it's just too late now mate.I don't think their engine is capable of adding such a feature into the game nor to be improved any time soon.

So true mate just so true.And it's just too late now mate.I don't think their engine is capable of adding such a feature into the game nor to be improved any time soon.

Well the game is still in early access. It could still be in early access a couple years from now like how many other games have done. Maybe by then something like this could be implemented, or maybe you're right. We can still show them what the fans want though, they will take notice, and if they don't act on it someone else might.

I'd like it much more if there were different levels and types of road depending on the culture the road is in
e.g Empire have bigger faster roads which are stone and well developed. Aserai have basically trails

Well the game is still in early access. It could still be in early access a couple years from now like how many other games have done. Maybe by then something like this could be implemented, or maybe you're right. We can still show them what the fans want though, they will take notice, and if they don't act on it someone else might.
right mate... i don't want to give a bad impression of hate speech (to devs) or such..But it's just makes me sad that this game has so much potential yet i don't see a bright future for...Anyway ... devs don't owe us anything either....

I'd like it much more if there were different levels and types of road depending on the culture the road is in
e.g Empire have bigger faster roads which are stone and well developed. Aserai have basically trails

That would be more difficult to implement as towns change hands.
Though they could implement something like, roads in certain faction's parameter have different effects.
Such as maybe Vlandian roads give a buff to infantry better and Khuzaits give a boost to cavalry troops.
But I feel like this is more complex than what the dev team can handle.

right mate... i don't want to give a bad impression of hate speech (to devs) or such..But it's just makes me sad that this game has so much potential yet i don't see a bright future for...Anyway ... devs don't owe us anything either....

Well you gotta think the devs make games to make profit, if this game has been worked on for 8 years, they need to make enough money to cover those years worth of wages and outgoings, otherwise they will go bust. So it is in their best interest to give fans what they want. TaleWorlds isn't a big gaming juggernaught like EA or Take2, if they make a loss they can't just scrap it and move to the next game to push out in a years time.

People need to ask what they want here while it's still in early access, and devs need to see which ones have most traction and try to implement those, unless they don't care about fanbase or income, which I doubt.

Yes the game is missing a lot of features that I would like but most of them are fixable. So I have some hope, if not, then I will cut my losses and play other games. Where there is demand, there is supply. If enough people want a certain type of game, it will be made, wether by this company or another. :smile:

I think this is a good idea -- it reminds me of Rome: Total War -- but in my opinion it's low priority.

Back
Top Bottom