SP - General Update the encyclopedia to include relevant game concept information

Users who are viewing this thread

Most of the information in the game concept part of the encyclopedia is rather irrelevant and useless. Trade goods shouldn't just give a general definition of what a trade good is but actually explain how their prices fluctuate etc. A lot of the most common frustrations from players come of lack of information about how the game works and including the relevant information in the encyclopedia is an easy way to give the player the information they need.

Example pages that would be helpful:
-workshops: how do they work, where should you buy one (what effects profit?) and how do you buy one?
-villages: how do you improve relations? What do the villager parties do? What does leaving a companion do?
-caravan: how do they work? How to set up, how to dissolve?
-smithing: how does it work? What is smithing stamina?
-companion: how do you get a companion? How can you use them?

These are just a few examples I thought of off the top of my head. It really shouldn't take very long to include these pages and would be very helpful for new players especially players who haven't played warband and can't simply guess how to get a workshop or even know that they exist when it is never explained. Game mechanics and features that aren't explained or ever discovered don't actually exist from a player point of view so in order to make sure your hard work isn't for naught please expand your encyclopedia.

I would be very surprised if this wasn't in their plans already. They just haven't gotten around to it.

I would be very surprised if this wasn't in their plans already. They just haven't gotten around to it.
The hard part is implementing the encyclopedia which they've already done so unless the people who worked on it are incompetent (which I highly doubt) then it shouldn't take more than an hour for a dev or even a non-dev taleworlds staff member to write up essential pages and then a few minutes of dev time to implement them. Updating the encyclopedia should be a priority when so much of the content in bannerlord is hidden away or not explained.

The hard part is implementing the encyclopedia which they've already done so unless the people who worked on it are incompetent (which I highly doubt) then it shouldn't take more than an hour for a dev or even a non-dev taleworlds staff member to write up essential pages and then a few minutes of dev time to implement them. Updating the encyclopedia should be a priority when so much of the content in bannerlord is hidden away or not explained.
Its in early access so a lot of it could change. It would be a total waste of time to write it and then change everything.

Its in early access so a lot of it could change. It would be a total waste of time to write it and then change everything.
Except that this doesn't take a lot of time at all and would be extremely helpful for new players. This could also be used to help test the game especially now that it is in early access because players can't report a bug if they don't know what the expected behavior is. For example, I still don't know what leaving a companion in a village is supposed to do. I thought it would improve relations but I haven't seen that happen, is that a bug? Who knows, because that information isn't given so I can't report it. The encyclopedia could also be used to inform early access players about what IS NOT implemented so we know what to expect.

Except that this doesn't take a lot of time at all and would be extremely helpful for new players. This could also be used to help test the game especially now that it is in early access because players can't report a bug if they don't know what the expected behavior is. For example, I still don't know what leaving a companion in a village is supposed to do. I thought it would improve relations but I haven't seen that happen, is that a bug? Who knows, because that information isn't given so I can't report it. The encyclopedia could also be used to inform early access players about what IS NOT implemented so we know what to expect.
I don't disagree with you, Ragnargh, but actually I think you might be underestimating the work it would take -- I think you're right that the actual writing wouldn't be hard. Also, I bet Clanker's probably right, a robust explanation most mechanics will probably eventually exist. But in the meantime, writing up an explanation of every mechanic, its intended consequences and costs, making sure it's accurate and written well, and that whenever updates happen every corresponding mechanic is also up-to-date and nothing gets missed costs time. And that's time a dev could be spending actually making the changes.

All that said, I would also LOVE more written explanations of mechanics -- I'm not saying it wouldn't be great.

Back
Top Bottom