SP - Battles & Sieges Non-polearm mounted combat is basically useless

Users who are viewing this thread

I am having blast as battania, but hearing people complain about cavalry makes me want to do a vlandia run with all cav. lol I can see Vlandian Knights and Empire cataphracts being op in a players hands.

I couldn't figure out how to make decent money at first in BL so I hopped around fighting in every tournament I could find (Because there's always 50 of them being held at any give time in this game) and every opponent I killed was a headshot with some sort of polearm while on horseback, EZ. Meanwhile, the weapon that I won from the tournament got me killed and captured a couple times because I just could not connect with my opponents AT ALL. Really frustrating... I did install Warband to double check how one handed weapons perform and it was so much better, you're right.

I've been struggling with this too. I think it's pretty much like others have said, probably too used to the big hit box in warband, camera angles and attack angles are a little different. Even Spears with the low thrust attack is hard to see imo, I've had better luck with high thrust since I can see the angle of the spear. Also computer enemies move quicker and more randomly than native warband, so that can make it tricky too. I like it overall, feels more balanced

the trick is to aim the camera down more, if it's too upwards you'll swing clean over their heads, and make sure you got yourself a long-ish weapon like a spatha or a kherjit saber

Horses have actual height to them now. You aren't just riding a dwarf. I found I have to aim down a lot more than I used to. Which makes sense considering you are on War Mounts and not a circus pony.

Most Horses stand around 6-6.5 Feet tall.

I noticed with a lot of my "Hits" in the feedback were head and throat. So I adjusted my aim down a bit with a spear, and when I started getting more consistent hits, it was in the Chest/Neck Area.

I applied this same logic to Swords and Axes. If I can hit a man in the head reliably with a 60 Length Hatched, you can do it with a One handed 90 Length sword.

It's as many people said earlier. You just need to learn to aim (again) because it's different from Warband.

Hi,
thank You for video. We have to aim way lower and the hit box seems to be farther away then in Warband.

It is funny how things are repeating themselfs. For me the mounted fights were the reason why I played M&B1 so much longer after Warband was availiable. Now things got even worse.
It is all about training again - or to focus on bow and commanding my troops.
Luckily the game is looking really gorgeous, so I will not stick with the older version this time.

It's relatable. In Warband, I hated being on a horse, I hated using a spear (even though I'm a huge fan irl), because it felt so goddamn clunky that I simply couldn't deal with it, now in Bannerlord.. I'm loving it, and I love combat on horse.

I'm also finding it very hard to hit anything from horseback. Even with spears I probably land only 1/5 hits. Honestly have no idea what is happening as I was quite good at it in Warband.

Edit: Maybe the e-peen warriors can have an uber ultra warrior mode where they can preen and show off, and for the rest of us a few adjustments to make the fights a bit more enjoyable.
For polearms the issue is that you do not really see the tip of your lance, so identifying the place of impact can be hard, especially since you have to thrust them adding another difficulty as the impact comes later. I have not yet tried 1st person, so this might help here. Otherwise I suggested some sort of visual hint where the tip is pointed towards, although this could also be too much.
As for 1h swinging from the right will give you more horizontal reach, while swinging from the left you will get more vertical reach. Also it does seem that the swing and moment of impact changed a bit from warband, so I often would move my mouse just before a hit and see the blade go right over their head. So not adjusting too much in mid-swing is important. Also we have different hitboxes and multipliers now, which can make you really deadly if you can aim well. It is definitely more authentic now, you will get better at it though and fast, too. You see from horseback you have a lower reach as every move you make for a swing takes you further away from the enemy. On foot this is not as much so. Workarounds I suggest here is either use polearms and two-handers, or one-handers with more reach and then keep practising. Also I know this might be totally wrong, I have the feeling that the more proficient my skill is, the more I hit, too, although I have no idea how that would work, might just be confirmation bias.
I generally like it and I am actually really bad at this game, but I like the progress you see in getting better and I think there needed to be something done about the PC on horse being "too good" and easy. As it is now, you are at a slight disadvantage in close melee, yet still have the bonus HP and armour of your horse and can get away.

Part of it is due to our Warband knowledge...

Hit boxes are much more important now. In Warband we could be scraping their shoulders with our boot tips as we ride by and get the kill, now, if we do that, the weapon sails straight over their head (partly due to animation as well? It feels the cut is just a plain 45 degree angle down, instead of the finer control we had in warband where we could change the angle slightly)

So for Bannerlord we have to have them like a foot or so to our left or right if we want a hit (and even with a two handed, landing a strike on an unarmored head...going at full speed...I'm going the opposite direction as them...no kill, damage is too inconsistent, sometimes I'll get 30 damage, sometimes I'll get 250)
Thats one of the combat changes i love about bannerlord the damage you do actually depends on what part of the weapon you hit with and the momentum if you hit with the strong of a blade (the base) and at the start of the swing where there is very little momentum you will do no damage which is realistic

For polearms the issue is that you do not really see the tip of your lance, so identifying the place of impact can be hard, especially since you have to thrust them adding another difficulty as the impact comes later. I have not yet tried 1st person, so this might help here. Otherwise I suggested some sort of visual hint where the tip is pointed towards, although this could also be too much.
As for 1h swinging from the right will give you more horizontal reach, while swinging from the left you will get more vertical reach. Also it does seem that the swing and moment of impact changed a bit from warband, so I often would move my mouse just before a hit and see the blade go right over their head. So not adjusting too much in mid-swing is important. Also we have different hitboxes and multipliers now, which can make you really deadly if you can aim well. It is definitely more authentic now, you will get better at it though and fast, too. You see from horseback you have a lower reach as every move you make for a swing takes you further away from the enemy. On foot this is not as much so. Workarounds I suggest here is either use polearms and two-handers, or one-handers with more reach and then keep practising. Also I know this might be totally wrong, I have the feeling that the more proficient my skill is, the more I hit, too, although I have no idea how that would work, might just be confirmation bias.
I generally like it and I am actually really bad at this game, but I like the progress you see in getting better and I think there needed to be something done about the PC on horse being "too good" and easy. As it is now, you are at a slight disadvantage in close melee, yet still have the bonus HP and armour of your horse and can get away.
The "bonus HP and armor" doesnt apply when they just hit you instead of the horse xD horses are absolutely fine

The "bonus HP and armor" doesnt apply when they just hit you instead of the horse xD horses are absolutely fine

Every bit helps. A horse keeps enemies away and you can get away, which is a significant advantage compared to being on foot. Your most vulnerable parts are also out of reach, like the head and neck and even abdomen, while their parts are more exposed. Like many hits from the horse will be to the head and neck.

the trick is to aim the camera down more, if it's too upwards you'll swing clean over their heads, and make sure you got yourself a long-ish weapon like a spatha or a kherjit saber

A better solution. Instead of us aiming down more.. how about TW adjusts the camera angle on horseback so you don't have to stare at the ground to hit anything? Realistically speaking how often do you need to aim above your head while on horseback? Unless they intend to add in Frost Giants in DLC I think it would fix most of the issues.

(Mind you the mental imagine of riding between a giants legs and castrating him with an axe does amuse me to no end.)

Lmfao that video, but yeah I do feel it's a little wonky, took some getting used to. But I've noticed the sword straight up clipping through models and not register the hit. Definitely some work to be done. As I'm sure many have mentioned before me, weapon length is very key too. However, when I'm completely swarmed on all sides, I should be able to easily hit my opponents, not just uselessly swing my sword above their heads. Oh well, hope it gets tinkered with soon.

I've been struggling a lot with the weapon lengths too, I got nearly 2k hours on Warband and a good 37 hours on Bannerlord now but I still can't figure out the weapon lengths. Maybe it's the perspective of the camera, hitboxes, contact points of the weapons? I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom