SP - Battles & Sieges Non-polearm mounted combat is basically useless

Users who are viewing this thread

The reach of swords on horseback is indeed much less than in warband, I had my strike window so ingrained into my memory that I missed nearly every time at the beginning, swinging too late and from too far. Now I've adapted but it's true that it's quite a pain in the rear to hit anything with a one handed sword from horseback, you litterally have to be stuck to the enemy to do so. So I've simply picked up a bow and gave up using one handed weapons on horseback unless the enemy is retreating or I'm stuck in a close range duel with another cavalry unit.

Been there.
It gets better though.
After a couple hours of slaugthering the fleeing looters (fought thousands of them, to get archery to 120... you know the 120 PERKS are so GREAT for Archery... you can get a -2% on morale for enemy infantry or -2% morale for enemy archers... seriously, whoever made the perk system, just quit your ****ing job),
its bearable now.
But the weapon should have a length of 75ish or higher or you need really aim so exactly that i doubt i will ever be able to do it in a real battle.

Conclusion by 9.5/10 people... Buddy go train some more... this is perhaps the only concept in bannerlord that is not broken.. its just hard to hit people when your on horseback with a short weapon... The timing, position, swing and angle combined with horse speed and enemies damageresistance/armor need to be perfect in order to deliver serious damage.

I agree with both the main viewpoints to a degree. Yeah, it's skill...or more precisely, player getting used to the differences from Warband. But on the flip side, it IS unarguably quite different and more difficult to hit foot-targets from horseback than it was in Warband, too.

One thing I've noticed that helps: the Reach numbers. Warband reach 100 =/= Bannerlord reach 100. For me, Warband 100 was plenty long enough for mounted use; even 90ish was serviceable. But Bannerlord 100 has been a lot of whiffing. I found a 117-length 1H cavalry broadsword, however, and that has improved things considerably.

Im swinging with a mace of 80 length... its doing a great job... and the big difference with warband is that if your weapon would just slightly touch the enemy it would dmg a lot. in bannerlord slightly touching the enemy or hitting him with something else than the pointy-end will not do damage.

Besides this in warband the hitboxes of weapons and targets were huge, it was actually very hard to miss a target.. which is not realistic.. especially on horseback. I remember in warband i would just drive my horse in the middle of the enemy and hitting left and right and the basterds would just drop dead in an instance.. try that in bannerlord and your dead before the battle commences.

I feel Bannerlord's mounted combat encourages the use of polearms, which I think is great! Swords should all be relegated to civilian sidearms that they are, now that "town outfit" is a thing in the game, though I'm pretty annoyed that only some one-handed sidearms are usable for the second outfit.
On the other, hand using the Fine Steel Menalion? two-handed is confusing AF. It was much easier poking with it with a shield.

I really like fighting from horseback. I think bannerlord does it bether than Warband.
If you really think there are collision detection issues please upload a video.

I really like fighting from horseback. I think bannerlord does it bether than Warband.
agreed Bannerlord cavalry is 10 times better than Warband since in Warband it didnt generally take more than 2 guys to stop a horse dead in its tracks and slaughter it and the rider

The angle at which you point the camera when you attack matters a lot. I was also missing many hits in the beginning, but then I realized I need to look down towards the ground when attacking on horseback. I also have a sword with about 110 length. I almost never miss now.

The problem is that the character's body will often reset position right before swinging, even without adjusting the angle. Plenty of time's I've come in for a swing, with my character deciding today was not the day right before committing.

Yeah i didn't even like mounted combat in warband but in this one i feel like bow is the only way to go when on horseback. MAYBE some very long polearm if you run out of arrows. With 2h sword i hit things occasionally but i just hate the fact that even a small mouse movement may totally change the direction of your melee attack when mounted. It certainly feels clunky.

Oh yeah, most aspects of mounted combat are far better. The animations, maneuver, etc, much improved. And best of all, running into other horses or trees or whatever doesn't necessarily bring you to an immediate full-stop. It feels much better and more realistic. We just gotta adjust how to hit things now from horseback, that's all.

Skill is part of that, weapon selection a factor as well. As someone mentioned above, maybe it's been designed to encourage more polearm use. My character has zero polearm skill (well, maybe 10), but I've gotten pretty good at using a spear on horseback in tournaments; think I'm gonna try it out on the battlefield today.

Part of it is due to our Warband knowledge...

Hit boxes are much more important now. In Warband we could be scraping their shoulders with our boot tips as we ride by and get the kill, now, if we do that, the weapon sails straight over their head (partly due to animation as well? It feels the cut is just a plain 45 degree angle down, instead of the finer control we had in warband where we could change the angle slightly)

So for Bannerlord we have to have them like a foot or so to our left or right if we want a hit (and even with a two handed, landing a strike on an unarmored head...going at full speed...I'm going the opposite direction as them...no kill, damage is too inconsistent, sometimes I'll get 30 damage, sometimes I'll get 250)

Conclusion by 9.5/10 people... Buddy go train some more... this is perhaps the only concept in bannerlord that is not broken.. its just hard to hit people when your on horseback with a short weapon... The timing, position, swing and angle combined with horse speed and enemies damageresistance/armor need to be perfect in order to deliver serious damage.
Yeh but all of those people just made forum accounts so really don't matter. They'll be gone to the next game in a couple weeks.

I'm getting more used to it now- the problem is when you ready your swing it looks like it is going to be lower and closer to the horse than the actual released swing of the blade is, so you swing over the head of the infantry. I think the reason it is like this, if it is not simply a mistake, is to prevent the third person view of your avatar from blocking the footman you are trying to hit.

I wanted to add that I found the swings land at a different (more realistic) point in the swing. Instead of hitting right next to the player, its a bit farther forward. Try to hit the enemy when they're next to the horse's neck. I found that helped me improve.
Hmm, thanks I'll try that.

Honestly haven't had this problem, both of my save files have been 1h sword focused and I rarely have trouble fighting while mounted

I'm also finding it very hard to hit anything from horseback. Even with spears I probably land only 1/5 hits. Honestly have no idea what is happening as I was quite good at it in Warband.

Edit: Maybe the e-peen warriors can have an uber ultra warrior mode where they can preen and show off, and for the rest of us a few adjustments to make the fights a bit more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom