Is playing as a female character not a disadvantage anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Only played for a few hours but it doesn't seem like it. In warband everyone was immediately pissed for having a female character and it was a lot more immersive and challenging. In bannerlord though nobody's said anything and 50% of AI lords are female. I loved playing female characters in warband because of it but it'll be disappointing if it doesn't have much, if any, impact here.

Same here
Female Warband characters ftw

I could maybe understand it for like Vlandia or something where female nobility / rulers would be common, but it just doesn't seem like its in the game at all.

If you don't like playing as female, don't play as female. If you can tolerate a point or two of stat redistribution, go ahead! I play as female and I don't care whether there are stat penalties or bonuses. In the long run it doesn't matter.

If you don't like playing as female, don't play as female. If you can tolerate a point or two of stat redistribution, go ahead! I play as female and I don't care whether there are stat penalties or bonuses. In the long run it doesn't matter.

He's not talking about stat penalties, he's talking about how the character is treated in the world by the other people. It doesn't bother me personally but it's a challenge he used to enjoy and he feels it's missing from the game.

What? I like playing as a female, that's not what I said at all. I said that it should have a penalty like it was in warband since it's more historically realistic. It's a fantasy game but still warband was based off reality in a ton of ways.

Are you fing ****ting me? Female was easy mode, your hubby would pay all the upkeep for the elite troops you stuck in his holdings.
Yeah it was if you had everything figured out but I liked dueling other lords and having them doubt me, it was really cool. And you really felt special being the only female lord who defied everyone else.

What? I like playing as a female, that's not what I said at all. I said that it should have a penalty like it was in warband since it's more historically realistic. It's a fantasy game but still warband was based off reality in a ton of ways.
Playing as a female should incur a penalty? Does not sound fun to me.

Played 14.5h as a copy of my female Multiplayer character by now - didn't notice any disadvantages. Does it bother me? No. Is it realistic? Most likely not, but it may depend on the region you look at. Woman were very powerful in some parts of the world and I think I noticed some sort of realism in Bannerlord regarding that. In northern factions you come along female lords from time to time. In southern factions I didn't meet one by now. The only female lords I saw are male lords which loose their beard when I kill them in a tournament - funny bug.

Its arguable if playing as a female was ever a disadvantage in the first place. If you knew what you were doing, you could advance far quicker as a female than a male in Warband, getting access to key fiefs through marriage without raising a sword.

I'm frustrated with the anti-SJW types parroting this in bad faith. But I kind of agree in single-player in social situations. Playing female in Warband was hard-mode, and I hope I find more resistance from patriarchal medieval lords then I've experienced so far. There's nothing quite like stealing a castle for yourself and making all of your loyal companion's lords (particularily female ones) just to spite the noble's faces.

That being said, it is an interesting piece of worldbuilding that Calradia has become more patriarchal across the centuries. Could be interesting to explore how that changed. I'd love to see more integration of religion and other cultural institutions through mods.

Playing as a female should incur a penalty? Does not sound fun to me.

Difficulty is fun.

Basically, you require more renown to do things, which makes sense given the state of the Medieval world the game is based off of.

The other thing is that playing a female was interesting and fun precisely because there were differences to playing a male.

If male and female characters are interchangeable, there's no reason to ever give the other a go, which is a shame.

Not having the negative attitude modifier on females makes sense with there being an Empress in Bannerlord and in Warband multiple kings' right to rule kinda is that "women shouldn't hold power" and kinda push that onto the other nobility.

But agreed that there should be an option for it like the other campaign settings, like being known for something dishonorable before the game.
(The trait system might be that, but I haven't interacted with lords enough to know that yet) :smile:

I'm frustrated with the anti-SJW types parroting this in bad faith. But I kind of agree in single-player in social situations. Playing female in Warband was hard-mode, and I hope I find more resistance from patriarchal medieval lords then I've experienced so far. There's nothing quite like stealing a castle for yourself and making all of your loyal companion's lords (particularily female ones) just to spite the noble's faces.

That being said, it is an interesting piece of worldbuilding that Calradia has become more patriarchal across the centuries. Could be interesting to explore how that changed. I'd love to see more integration of religion and other cultural institutions through mods.

I wouldn't call it interesting. More like incomplete.

The period Bannerlord is based off of was really not any less patriarchal than the Medieval period, which of course gave rise to many queens.

The Empire, Aserai, and Vlandia should be hard patriarchies (female rulers exceedingly rare) for sure. Sturgia and Khuzaits should be a bit less rigid (noting Norse shieldmaidens and Scythian female warriors), with Battanians being only a soft patriarchy (mostly male rulers with a few female - certainly the easiest place for a woman to gain status).

I haven't become a lord yet, but I'd like to see a way for players to change the laws on female inheritance if they want to (as CK2 allows you to do).

Last edited:
Yes, but as we've established, this is a secondary world. They decided that the social structures of 1257 AD should be intact in 1257 in Calradia. But they chose to Bannerlord's time very, very different from the time period it would be cognate with. Vlandians/Aserai are about as technologically advanced as Swadians/Sarranids despite being hundreds of years behind. Sturgians are about the same tech level as the Nords if not greater. The only thing I haven't seen is plate armor, which didn't even belong in 1257.

My point is this is clearly a different world operating on entirely separate rules and a change must have occurred somewhere between whatever year Bannerlord takes place and Warband. Perhaps there was a period of ultra-conservative backlash, like in the late-1500s and early-1600s where there was a notable spike in misogyny. It's interesting to know Isolla of Suno was gypped out of her rightful throne entirely because of when she was born. Doubt it will be explored, but it'd be neat.

Back
Top Bottom